Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Loomis

Shotgun Gambit - New single map for Doom 2 (UDMF)

Shotgun Gambit

64 squares

32 chess pieces

1 Super Shotgun

In Doom, even Chess has it's own rules. There is no white or black, you just need to checkmate both evil kings! To do that, you can rely on your good old double barreled shotgun!

Shotgun Gambit is a short single player map for Doom 2 (replacing MAP01).

Map Format: UDMF

Tested in GZDOOM 4.3.3

Freelook? allowed but not necessary

Jumping/crouching? allowed but not necessary

Difficulty settings: kind of... the monsters are the same, but supplies are a little bit more generous in easier settings

Coop: no

Deathmatch: no

New textures: The sky is my own work and a glass texture has been created.

It has been quite a while since I created my last map, but now I found some time to create a new one and also try Ultimate Doom Builder for the first time (I used Slade before) and also I wrote some basic ACS scripts for the first time.

Screen Shots:

Screenshot_Doom_20220414_232504.png.ba64426446ec58f3af19a9b68e934920.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220414_232525.png.38278f8302c4e73b587bc210e613c797.png

Download:

SHOTGUN_GAMBIT_WAD_V2.zip

Old Versions of the WAD:

Spoiler

SHOTGUN_GAMBIT_WAD.zip

Changelogs: 

Changelog V2:
- added nukage pits to reduce possibility for camping
- removed a rather useless secret
- reduced supplies to make the map harder

Edited by Loomis : New version of WAD

I don't have much to say about this map, since it's so short but it looks nice and my run was bug-free. I must also tell you that after playing it I got curious about your previous map, Into Battle? I played through it and I found it to be quite excellent. Please make more maps :)

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

I gave myself some constraints to meet the rules of chess (having 32 chess pieces - or monsters in this case - of six different types) as well as sticking to only one weapon (for which I chose the SSG). Therefore I did not include Sergeants and chaingunners since they would drop Shotguns and Chainguns.

If you have any idea how to make the gameplay more interesting under those conditions you're welcome to let me know.

@Clippy Thanks for playing!

I see, most of you have absolutely no difficulties to beat the map. So I guess I should make it harder on UV. Should I probably reduce the supplies on this difficulty level?

I'm not sure how to intensify the combat itself though, given that I want to stick with only 32 monsters. OK, I could use 16 Arch Viles as pawns... ;) But who shall then be queen?

There's so much room to manouver and so many monsters to infight, that this map is trivially easy. In fact, I didn't even get hit on my first playthrough.

Maybe remove the Megasphere at UV?

On 4/16/2022 at 2:57 PM, Loomis said:

If you have any idea how to make the gameplay more interesting under those conditions you're welcome to let me know.

I think the main reason why it's fairly easy is that hiding from the archviles while circling the arena is quite simple. Just run from corner to corner. Maybe making the hiding spots less reliable with a fast crusher (low height so that it's a bit of a gamble if the dodge works) would be an idea?

3 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

There's so much room to manouver and so many monsters to infight, that this map is trivially easy. In fact, I didn't even get hit on my first playthrough.

Maybe remove the Megasphere at UV?

Thanks for playing! Yes I think I'm going to reduce supplies on UV.

2 hours ago, TheCyberDruid said:

I think the main reason why it's fairly easy is that hiding from the archviles while circling the arena is quite simple. Just run from corner to corner. Maybe making the hiding spots less reliable with a fast crusher (low height so that it's a bit of a gamble if the dodge works) would be an idea?

Thanks! That is a great idea! I'll definitely try this.

Hey (check-)mates!

It took a long while, but finally I made some changes to this map to make it a little bit harder and more entertaining:

Changelog V2:
- added nukage pits to reduce possibility for camping
- removed a rather useless secret
- reduced supplies to make the map harder

There was the idea to add crushers to the corners of the map, but I realized that this would make it possible to lure the monsters under the crushers and that would make the idea counterproductive in regards to make it more difficult. Therefore the nukage pits which only hurt the player.

The new download link is in the first post of this thread.