Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pezl

Ultimate DOOM / EPISODE 1 - Random Doom/Tech Base >>> (Open for testing)

Random Doom Base v3.zip

-------------------------------------------

lg.png

Hey, this is my full episode 1 for DOOM 1 (8 maps)

Its Episode 1 but music is from episode 2, dont ask me why

I hope you all will enjoy this one, now its open for testing so let me know any bugs etc. please! :)

After the testing part i will submit this mapset on IDGames,

IWAD: DOOM

Maps: Episode 1

Build time: 3 weeks in total

CO-OP settings: no

jumping/crouching: off

Difficulty settings: no

Pistol starts: yes

Tested in: zdoom, lzdoom, Crispy Doom 5.1.1

DOWNLOAD---> Random Doom Base v3.zip

Some screenshots here..

Screenshot-Doom-20220415-150151.pngScreenshot-Doom-20220415-150208.pngScreenshot-Doom-20220415-150229.png

clg.png

Spoiler

--Version v2--

• Fixed all errors druing the loading screen
  • Removed the "funny" second file in the .zip folder

--Version v3--

• E1M3 lava lakes now take damage to player, move some blocking objects.

Edited by Pezl : o

(Note: if this was meant to be a shovelware-like experience, disregard my comments below - in this case, it's fine as it is).

Quick playthrough of MAP01 and MAP02, didn't record the rest.

For my integrity and your own good, I'm not going to sugarcoat it - it's a start, but it needs a lot of work and fine-tuning to be on par with similar releases. The basics are there: there is some lighting variation, we sometimes retrace through previous areas (athought with no added monsters) and the levels are in a playable state. However:

- There is a serious monster to weaponry balance issue. As soon as the big guys show up (Barons and Cacos) we are given ordnance that allows us to blast them into oblivion in seconds. This is compounded by the fact that the 'ambushes' are super telegraphed by very slow moving walls and the monsters being mostly in a row right in front of us, ready to be shot down like a row of ducks. Can't recall a single instance in which I was even remotely in danger of dying, or a monster actually managed to sneak up on me.

- The texturing job is subpar as it stands. I get that UD's resources are what they are, but try and channel your use of textures into a direction that gives the space provided depth and variety. Often it looked as if you slapped whatever on walls and floors as you went, and that really hampers the experience - it hamstrings some pretty nice layouts, like towards the end of MAP02.

- Your MAPINFO is a mess, and needs to be rewritten for consistency (and spelling mistakes). As soon as I boot up GZDoom I get a hailstorm of script errors, and it messes up the game in a number of ways - for example, it's likely the reason why I apparently can't IDCLEV to a specific level. 

Sorry if I sound extremely critical, but you clearly put in *some* effort (though I'd say that three weeks for a full episode is a bit on the rushed side) and it kind of rubs me the wrong way to see how much better this could have been if you put a little more time and thought into it. The README file is an example: it's probably supposed to be funny, but it really isn't - it just screams 'whatever', and if you don't care about your wad, why should I? 

@CoolerDoomeR haha thanks, btw i suck at naming my levels or wads so yah.

@Thelokk Thank you so much for giving it a chance! In the beggining i know its not the best, the balancing, enemy placement and more. For me it was kinda hard to chose the right enemies as you know doom 1 does not have these guys like chaingunners, revenants and so.

I understand the texturing issue too, it looks like random but i actually chose those which looked like classic ultimate doom maps from first episode

And for that errors, youre right i will fix it whenever there will be more bugs so i dont need to edit this all the time, hope you understand. Anyways there is problem in: sky1 = "SKY1" 0     

I found out that you dont need to put that 0 like in zmapinfo so yeah basically its in all the map scripts..

Anyways bad criticue is not bad, you at least know what to improve and thanks for playing! :)

(PS: I hope i covered all the points you said)

Alright theres list of what i fixed -- Version 2

• Fixed all errors druing the loading screen
  • Removed the "funny" second file in the .zip folder

If you find any bugs through your playthrough, ill appriciate if you tell me them so i can fix it, thanks!

I played it and it was nice not seeing nothing but marble textures all the damn time lol. I've been playing a lot of Doom 1 wads from 1994 and oh man nothing but marble.

Anyways for Doom 1 levels there great i actually like them. the only thing comment i will say is they we're kinda short for my liking but i don't know if they were meant to be that way or not but i digress. 

11 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I played it and it was nice not seeing nothing but marble textures all the damn time lol. I've been playing a lot of Doom 1 wads from 1994 and oh man nothing but marble.

Anyways for Doom 1 levels there great i actually like them. the only thing comment i will say is they we're kinda short for my liking but i don't know if they were meant to be that way or not but i digress. 

Hi, Thank you for playing! 

I know they are kinda short, thats what my maps often are, and I About those marble textures you said.. I agree, Ultimate Doom has low number of textures to chose for me that would actually fit into the map styles. Anyways im glad you played and Like them that's real good!

9 hours ago, Clippy said:

Hey Clippy, thanks a lot as always really appriciate that! Hope you had fun playing through, fortunately I see no missing textures or anything like that but you show me some like you can get stuck walking around some lamp. I can move them. Also this time I put some high quality secrets with teleports or Doors you know and I tried to make all walk in the wall sercrets on spots where it should be almost visible.

Anyways Just so you know its a mapset based on pistolstarts so you dont need to open console everytime. And as you found 1 secret by the end with heal things you have them to the next level because I didnt set resethealth in MAPINFO so yeah but I see its easy so you don't need health so much :D

And these lava lakes in E1M3 are not burning thanks for that! I will fix it when I get on pc (I didn't notice that while testing.

PS: If you want to know all the secret areas feel free to dm me on discord, :)

Changelog-- List of what i fixed -- Version 3

• E1M3 lava lakes now take damage to player, move some blocking objects.

I completed Random Doom Base r3.wad with LZDoom, awful map designs, 50/100. The positives, the maps are well balanced for pistol start, and the maps are not very challenging, but challenging enough. Great use of floor crushers, and teleport systems in the maps. There is not enough room for the Spider Mastermind to attack the player in the maps. The lighting effects provide the maps with more scare value, but what is causing the lighting effects? Thin air? These are large sized maps with not much gameplay in each map. There are a low number of enemies in each area of a map even though the maps are relatively large in size. Maps are very flat, and you need to include more height variation in the maps. Numerous textures are out of alignment. When I completed the WAD, I see the DOOM II ending instead of the DOOM ending. Were you planning to build a DOOM 2 map?