Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hakros

[UPDATED] [SHORT MAP] Hakros Rotia 1.3

ItchHeader.jpg

Hello everyone, I present you ROTIA, a short but intense map with a total of 180 enemies and 5 secrets.

I hope you like it. :-D !!

Greetings.

--------------------------------------------------------

Instructions

• Doom2.wad file required to play, just copy the file into 'games\' folder

• Name: Hakros Rotia
  • Version: 1.3
  • Format: UDMF
  • Port Needed: GZDoom
  • IWAD: Doom2.wad
  • Map: MAP01
  • Mods: No
  • Gameplay: Single player
  • Build Time: 1 week
  • Jumping & Crouching: Allowed
  • Freelook: Allowed
  • Difficulty settings: No
  • Dehacked file: No
  • Custom music: Yes
  • Custom textures: Yes (included) (based on HakrosTex) (my custom texture pack :-D)
  • Enemies: 180
  • Secrets: 5

DOWNLOAD FROM HERE

Standalone version includes also (GZDOOM)

https://hakros.itch.io/hakros-rotia

SCREENSHOTS

ROTIA_SCR01.png.7b86c227e8767508e0261102b2df5682.png

ROTIA_SCR02.png.9ddf642ccf35e4903f734f65b0d88ba4.png

ROTIA_SCR03.png.7b5163475fb7d2b9eca6dd1572d8c7d4.png

ROTIA_SCR04.png.58b6be2d2efb45bf96ebc99a655b860b.png

ROTIA_SCR05.png.704888871bb77576de1d991643511173.png

Edited by hakros

I tested it in UV.

Aesthetically speaking this map is lacking a lot of stuff.

The map itself is basically made by several cubic rooms of different size, there's no real architecture going on and everything feels really flat.

Speaking about flatness, the only height variation present in the hole map is the elevator, but since it's just it (and the fact that you can use it only once) you cannot really count that as height variation.

The same goes unfortunately with texturing: every room has a couple of textures stuck here and there and that's it.

You added some light variation that is very appreciated, even though (again) you're just changing light levels between some rooms, there's no actual lighting put into this and that's a shame, cause you could create cool stuff since there are tech base areas, underground hellish area and an outside area.

I actually have to complain about the gameplay too unfortunately... and right from the start.

The main first objective is to find 3 keys, that's fine, but there's no actual search involved: all of the keys are just behind a door and these doors are all connected to the starting area... so you have 3 empty rooms and you're done, next area...

It all felt quite pointless, especially cause there are basically no fights except for one.

And here's one of the biggest issue I have with this map: you give the player only a shotgun in the first area, but that shotgun is actually a secret, not hard to find, true, but still, hiding the main weapon is an awful choice, especially when you have to fight 2 stealth cacodemons... you cannot expect a player to try and fight them with a couple of bullets and fists!

About second fight I have nothing really to say, I love infights and that was an enjoyable "let the mastermind kill everything" scenario, then, the second major issue:

You give the player a BFG and tons of ammo, fine, I'm ready for a huge battle... but you release like 6 or more archviles in wide open areas.

If you know what's coming and you're lucky enough that some other monster cause some infight with them, you're fine (for a while), otherwise it's an insta-death case.

I just hid inside the elevator and shot BFG bolts until nothing was moving and that's not really enjoyable.

Last issue: 32000 health cyberdemon? Really? Nice and all that you tried to tweak him to create a more hard boss fight, but it was still a cyberdemon... it becomes boring fast having to repeat the same basic pattern over and over again (I appreciated the fact that you increased his sprites size, but that brings laughable effects with him shooting from his penis).

So, my suggestion is to take your time to make a polished map instead of just releasing something rough that you made in a weekend.

There's a certain retro charm to your map. One of the things I like most is that you are unafraid to use big monsters in large numbers.

That said, the Cyberdemon with a ton of health is a time sink.

Listen to Kan3 and his comments.

3 hours ago, Kan3 said:

I tested it in UV.

Aesthetically speaking this map is lacking a lot of stuff.

The map itself is basically made by several cubic rooms of different size, there's no real architecture going on and everything feels really flat.

Speaking about flatness, the only height variation present in the hole map is the elevator, but since it's just it (and the fact that you can use it only once) you cannot really count that as height variation.

The same goes unfortunately with texturing: every room has a couple of textures stuck here and there and that's it.

You added some light variation that is very appreciated, even though (again) you're just changing light levels between some rooms, there's no actual lighting put into this and that's a shame, cause you could create cool stuff since there are tech base areas, underground hellish area and an outside area.

I actually have to complain about the gameplay too unfortunately... and right from the start.

The main first objective is to find 3 keys, that's fine, but there's no actual search involved: all of the keys are just behind a door and these doors are all connected to the starting area... so you have 3 empty rooms and you're done, next area...

It all felt quite pointless, especially cause there are basically no fights except for one.

And here's one of the biggest issue I have with this map: you give the player only a shotgun in the first area, but that shotgun is actually a secret, not hard to find, true, but still, hiding the main weapon is an awful choice, especially when you have to fight 2 stealth cacodemons... you cannot expect a player to try and fight them with a couple of bullets and fists!

About second fight I have nothing really to say, I love infights and that was an enjoyable "let the mastermind kill everything" scenario, then, the second major issue:

You give the player a BFG and tons of ammo, fine, I'm ready for a huge battle... but you release like 6 or more archviles in wide open areas.

If you know what's coming and you're lucky enough that some other monster cause some infight with them, you're fine (for a while), otherwise it's an insta-death case.

I just hid inside the elevator and shot BFG bolts until nothing was moving and that's not really enjoyable.

Last issue: 32000 health cyberdemon? Really? Nice and all that you tried to tweak him to create a more hard boss fight, but it was still a cyberdemon... it becomes boring fast having to repeat the same basic pattern over and over again (I appreciated the fact that you increased his sprites size, but that brings laughable effects with him shooting from his penis).

So, my suggestion is to take your time to make a polished map instead of just releasing something rough that you made in a weekend.

The truth is that in this map I have been experimenting more with the confrontations, the architecture was not the important thing.

But thanks for the comments :-D !!!

14 hours ago, hakros said:

I have been experimenting more with the confrontations, the architecture was not the important thing.

The architecture actually is something you need to consider it regards to Archviles being added to a combat scenario. Surrounding the player with 6 of the blighters in a giant empty square area just makes the situation instantly infuriating and not fun in the slightest. You've got to give the player at least some kind of fighting chance by placing some things around the place so they can use to dodge the Archie's hitscan. Otherwise, it's just a bullshit situation where the player just winds up thinking you're being unnecessarily malicious, or at least that was my experience.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

The architecture actually is something you need to consider it regards to Archviles being added to a combat scenario. Surrounding the player with 6 of the blighters in a giant empty square area just makes the situation instantly infuriating and not fun in the slightest. You've got to give the player at least some kind of fighting chance by placing some things around the place so they can use to dodge the Archie's hitscan. Otherwise, it's just a bullshit situation where the player just winds up thinking you're being unnecessarily malicious, or at least that was my experience.

Haven't you used the columns as protection?

PS: No Gameplay video this time, was hoping I saw you in action..xD ??

Tried out the map and I have to agree with most of @Kan3's comments. I will give you one thing though - the map's banner in the OP is bitchin'.

1 hour ago, Thelokk said:

Tried out the map and I have to agree with most of @Kan3's comments. I will give you one thing though - the map's banner in the OP is bitchin'.

Hahahaha ..... well hey, at least some good news!

PS: Thanks for the comments. !

Release 1.2 

• After the comments i've retired some of the arch-viles and improve other aspects of the map (lights, architecture and difficulty settings in general)
Edited by hakros

Release 1.3

• New textures pack (based on HakrosTex) (my custom texture pack :-D)
  • Improved lighting
  • Custom song added