Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nights

Does Eternity support different music formats?

Just as the title says above. Does it support formats like OGG and FLAC? I recently used a wad that remakes all of Doom's sounds in super high quality and I wanted to use higher quality midis to go along with it. 

Eternity does indeed support many audio formats for music including OGG, but replacing midi tracks with streamed equivalents is rejected from /idgames due to redundancy. Midi is a sequence format people can apply their own soundfonts to, they don't need you to do it forcibly, that's just a waste of storage space.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Eternity does indeed support many audio formats for music including OGG, but replacing midi tracks with streamed equivalents is rejected from /idgames due to redundancy. Midi is a sequence format people can apply their own soundfonts to, they don't need you to do it forcibly, that's just a waste of storage space.

Oh I see. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of how to change them myself? I have a midi pack already in my possession, and I wanted to use it.

Thank you for your insight btw. 

Do you mean change the music or change the soundfont?
Changing the music is just a case of making a new WAD with music lumps of the same names as the originals.

If it's change soundfonts, well Eternity doesn't have a lot of options, if either uses the general midi driver (which will be the Windows implementation of SC-55) or an OPL emulation, which has many options for sound banks built into Eternity, these are provided as user settings in the options. Other ports will have their own options for providing sound banks, such as supplying sf2 files. These are user options, not moddable ones.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Do you mean change the music or change the soundfont?
Changing the music is just a case of making a new WAD with music lumps of the same names as the originals.

If it's change soundfonts, well Eternity doesn't have a lot of options, if either uses the general midi driver (which will be the Windows implementation of SC-55) or an OPL emulation, which has many options for sound banks built into Eternity, these are provided as user settings in the options. Other ports will have their own options for providing sound banks, such as supplying sf2 files. These are user options, not moddable ones.

I like to use VirtualMIDISynth (Windows) to change and manage soundfonts and it seems to work fine with Eternity. I like this Voice Crystal soundfont for general use. Recent Eternity dev builds also decouple music and sound effects volume which is nice. One new Eternity feature I'd love to see is music pausing when the game is paused.

1 hour ago, pantheon said:

One new Eternity feature I'd love to see is music pausing when the game is paused.

It already does this. That's always been a thing since vanilla doom.

Just to be clear, pausing in this case means pressing the pause key, not simply opening the menu. They do slightly different things as they have different effects in demos and multiplayer; The pause key works in demos/netgames, opening the menu only pauses things in single player in a rather different code path.

1 hour ago, pantheon said:

Recent Eternity dev builds also decouple music and sound effects volume which is nice.

That's been true for years. You were likely missing the midiproc program this whole time, which is needed to separate the midi playback from the rest of the program.

Edited by Edward850

16 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It already does this. That's always been a thing since vanilla doom.

Hmm... then it must be an issue with using VirtualMIDISynth as the default Windows MIDI device. I've used it with DSDA and Woof and music pauses as expected. Maybe there's an SDL setting somewhere... anyways sorry to hijack the thread. 

On 4/17/2022 at 12:04 AM, Edward850 said:

What about tracker modules? They're also sequenced formats, but they have instrument samples defined, so they'll have a more consistent sound across different configurations.

They're not often as small as MIDI, but they can still end up being pretty small on their own, some tracker modules being ~100 kiB, some being ~64 kiB, and some even being ~16 kiB.