Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Silverwyvern

3D model demon...

That's kinda really, very neat, Silver. It reminds me vaguely of a Dilophasaurus. (sp?)

That is sweet!!!11 Yuo are teh good at these!! Just fantastic, clearly brilliant here. Keep up teh goodness work!!!1

Btw, may I ask as to what inspired you to create such a wonderful Dee-Lee?
:D

I was gonna make the body but couldnt decide on one...

Curious, does he strike you as a land, air or sea creature?
What would make a good body?

I can see him as a flying dragon but also as a sea creature too. Hell, he'd make a good land monster. I dunno, you win either way.

It looks like it would be some type of water creature. like a nasty squid type Dee-Lee creature. Just a thought. :D

May I ask as to how long it took you to make this?

Took me about a day to model...

This was the reason I was trying to learn vertex paint.. so I called a friend who knew... then finished the next day :)

Silverwyvern said:

Took me about a day to model...

This was the reason I was trying to learn vertex paint.. so I called a friend who knew... then finished the next day :)

You and your fastness, it takes me like a day to draw a complete vertical line....But! Im getting better; I got two dots for the eyes in my stick-man done yesterday, TWO DOTS!!!!11111..ahem....I feel like a big man now :D

Is it like easy to make those, or is it like super-dee-duper complex like an arubix-cube or tick-tack-toe?

Schweeeeeeet, I'd say it's a sea demon.

pretty cool.. the texture is the best of the model.. ding this model in a day is pretty fast.. (i can make a whole model in a day [without rigging and texturing it] *dont pay any attention to my bragging :P*)

it looks cool.. what package did you use to create this badassnes?

I don't even know how to get my hands around a modelling program.

HAMMER-STROKE said:

pretty cool.. the texture is the best of the model.. ding this model in a day is pretty fast.. (i can make a whole model in a day [without rigging and texturing it] *dont pay any attention to my bragging :P*)

it looks cool.. what package did you use to create this badassnes?

I use 3dsMax.

And as far as rigging and stuff I never really do that ;)
I guess I can't see it ever being animated... I suppose sometimes I use morph targets on things so I can amuse myself by closing eyes and stuff ;)

where do you get model programs and how much do they cost?
and how steep is the learning curve, a year? or more?

i can't get past that his head looks like a sunflower, it looks like someone peeled his skin up, definitely too bulky and big boned to be an air creature, sea or land but give it a body cause I'm having a har time picturing it with one.

I think it's neat. Makes you think 'what in the hell..' while still giving you an impression of being a scary creature of some kind. I think it could be a sea creature, or a wall mounted thing ;)
Just hik of it like an inverted starfish from hell. ;)

It looks like a carniverous devilbunny head with tentacles and no hair. Very nice. :) Tell Jauqes about teh sea cacos. 20000 leagues under Hell! :)

Xanthier said:

where do you get model programs and how much do they cost?
and how steep is the learning curve, a year? or more?

Maya for example costs about $1,500 they aren't cheap, so unless you're loaded with cash there's only one option for you. I'm starting to learn how to use it, it might be a bit time consuming, but for me it's fun as hell.

Cool model dude, pretty fast too.

Xanthier: The apps are pretty expensive, $2000 and up, but the truth of the matter is anyone who wants to learn these apps usually just downloads them from somewhere. If you don't want to do that, Amapi3D is a pretty good free modeler I hear, and so is Wings3d.
Maya also has a free (although heavily watermarked) learning version. This program is the standard in the movie industry, the basic version is actually cheaper than 3d studio max now! Here's a link to the learning edition: http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/ple/index.shtml
Softimage XSI and SideFX Houdini (two more high-end apps) also have free learning versions.
3d max unfortunately does not. However there is gmax, a stripped down version of max aimed at game modeling, texturing, etc. It's also free and I think this would be a good place to start.
I would not actually recommend Maya, Softimage, and Houdini, they are all to complex for someone new to 3d. So I think
gmax is your best bet: http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

As far as learning curve goes, it depends. There are many "disciplines" involved in 3d. If you focus on just one, like modeling for example, then yeah, you can become pretty competent at it in a year. If you try to tackle everything at once it will of course take longer to get good in each individual area. I've been doing 3d for about 5 years and there are A TON of things is still don't know. You never really stop learning.

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack the topic, good work as usual.

I started trying to learn Amapi 3d the other day - I'd say that it's pretty complex and not like Silverwyvern said "just moving lines about".

I really wish that help files were nothing but detailed tutorials - it sucks that you have to read all this shite about what every command does before having to go through the step-by-step tutorials (and even so, you sometimes have to go back to check to be reminded what a given button does).

So far, I managed to do a cube and a sphere ([sarcasm]Hoo-fucking-ray, ain't I good!?[/sarcasm]) - I'll still have to work a little more on the suitcase (I hate tutorials that do not give specific info on what to do, causing you to commit mistakes).

Silverwyvern said:

Curious, does he strike you as a land, air or sea creature?

I honestly thought you photoshopped a dinosaur face onto a starfish when I first saw it. So, sea creature :P

Definatly a sea creature as soon as i saw its shape and the texture of the skin. It looks great
although I have no idea what kind of a body this thing would have....maybe similar to a dogs but with webed feet and make sure to give it a bulky chest otherwise the head just wouldent suit it.

blender.nl there's a free 3d prg for you. barely takes any space either.. it's very good too..

Gmax are for those who want to make q3 models and such. Although it's free, so it is a good way of learning how to use 3d studio, in case you ever want to buy it.. or steal it..

"in case you ever want to buy it.. or steal it.."
lol
I've heard blender's interface takes a lot of getting used to, and that's one of the nicer ways I've heard it put.
I've seen some nice work done with blender though (just like any other app).

shit man this is impressive, u really should finish your work....make him a body.....what do you think? maybe with a infernal backround...i would love to see that ;^D