Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
almostmatt1

Doom 2 in under 10 minutes [TAS]

Greatest demo of 2022, calling it now :)

Superb work, honestly this is just insane. Not only is it sub 10, but it’s sub 10 by nearly 20 seconds! This will certainly go into the history books.

Huge congrats!

Looks like I picked a really good time to get back into Doom TASing. I'm definitely going to study this intensely in order to help improve my own runs. What an amazing TAS! I can only imagine how much effort went into this, huge congratulations on actually finishing it. MAP29 was truly insane!

If someone were to ask me what my pick for demo of the year was, I'd tell them that it's too early to tell... But this right here is a very strong contender...

Hoped to see a new D2ALL TAS for years, and when it's finally here it's beyond all expectations. Congratulations!

Good job dude! This was really fun to watch :D

This is without a doubt the best TAS demo ever made :)

Edited by El juancho

Apologies @almostmatt1 but I am not very familiar with the TAS process and guess that this covers a range of possibilities. This is really interesting and I am very naïve so forgive my questions. Is it largely about using XDRE to manually edit and change the inputs of recorded demos to retrospectively to improve the time for the maps? Or using automated methods like "Brute Forcing"? Or something else? Did you have to play a lot of Doom and record demos or was a lot of this optimisation achieved in XDRE using stock demos (like from the DSDA website) as a starting point?

I just wanted to check as I have no familiarity with TAS and the runs look incredible. I read your post that explains the background of XDRE, which is brilliant, and just wanted to know more about this specific recording. I recommend your other post to others that may want more details about XDRE:

This is an amazing recording and I love the use of TAS methods to really push to show the boundaries of what is achievable. I was absolutely glued to the video and love seeing the strategies that have evolved over the years to shave off more and more time from these runs - sub 10 minutes seems crazy to me. Great work and so fascinating to see - thanks for sharing! 

1 minute ago, Spineapple tea said:

I'm surprised by just how comprehensible that was to watch, but what happened on map 18? Was that a glide with a zombieman?

Yeah he clipped through a door using a zombieman. It was found by Zero Master, and has been done by him and myself in RTA runs.

That caco rocket boost and the icon kill were insane, and all those void glides too.. I can't choose a favourite trick! Congrats!

Congratulations! Very high quality TAS of Doom2 after all the years of wating. Happy you didn't stop in Map29, I'm sure that map was annoying to deal with.

There were couple tricks, but not many, that were missing, but it's next to impossible to make a full run with no mistakes. Also, building TAS this high quality takes a lot of time, which means that new tricks and strats (even after all these years) pop-up. This could mean changing a thing or two half-way the run, which is a huge pain.

Again, congrats!

Thank you so much for the kind words, everyone! I'm glad that it appears to be enjoyable :)

22 hours ago, ImproversGaming said:

Apologies @almostmatt1 but I am not very familiar with the TAS process and guess that this covers a range of possibilities. This is really interesting and I am very naïve so forgive my questions. Is it largely about using XDRE to manually edit and change the inputs of recorded demos to retrospectively to improve the time for the maps? Or using automated methods like "Brute Forcing"? Or something else? Did you have to play a lot of Doom and record demos or was a lot of this optimisation achieved in XDRE using stock demos (like from the DSDA website) as a starting point?

I just wanted to check as I have no familiarity with TAS and the runs look incredible.

I love having the opportunity to share some stuff about Doom TASing, so absolutely nothing to be sorry for. :) 100% of this demo was built from scratch using XDRE, so for each of the 22641 frames making up the demo, every single input needed to be manually entered. No part of the demo involved taking or recording a demo by regularly playing and then editing that, everything was completely built starting from nothing, input-by-input, frame-by-frame. I could (and did) view other demos for ideas for what to generally do, but that was it - just looking at them for general ideas, not editing them or copying frames from them.

Brute forcing is only used to determine inputs for about 1-3 frames at a time for the purposes of instant glides, .000000 tricks, optimising diagonal wallruns at times, etc (basically just really precise stuff, if you don't know what those things mean). It unfortunately can't be used to automatically create a section of demo of any significant length, it is just used for things that are virtually instant. 
TASing CAN be done by simply playing with slow motion and rewinding/re-recording segments and there are some players that get great results this way, but that's not what this demo does.

Will we see the first time in the history when Cacowards mentions a TAS demo? As far as I remember, even Zero-Master's Nightmare run wasn't mentioned there

Edited by Dimon12321

You remember how we used to call really fast cars "supercars?" But then the term "supercar" no longer cut it, because cars had got so much better and faster? So we started calling them 'hypercars.' In the same way, the term 'speedrunning' almost doesn't work here. This is more of a 'hyperrun.' (Not my finest word creation, but the point is there.)

I couldn't believe the title. A sub 10 run? Even on TAS, that seemed a bit far fetched.

Apparently not. Brilliantly done.