Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kokoro Hane

What are your favorite type of maps?

What are your favorite type of maps?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite type of maps?

• Classic style DOOM maps
    • Scarce ammo, survival
    • Slaughter maps
    • Joke maps
    • Horror / Eerie atmosphere
    • Adventurous maps (lots to explore, many secrets, etc.)
    • Other

Either slaughter maps or adventurous maps. Slaughter maps are pretty fun just to kill demons in but I like it more when there's some exploration and even some open world elements that adventurous maps have.

Classic/mild slaughter.

Horror mostly, but I don't disdain some slaughter. Not really big on 'story-oriented' wads though.

Honestly, my favourites are always the gimmicky ones. I get that you can't have a megawad filled to the brim with wacky and weird maps but they're a great refresher.

For general consumption I like short and punchy oldschool-style maps. Kinda like what I try to make. Not terribly difficult, and to the point. Shoot some demons and go about my day. For that reason my favourite part of most wads is the first third, when stakes are fairly low and I can have casual fun.

Classic style, on the smaller side with punchy combat and striking architecture. I'm a big fan of brutalist architecture (brutalist doom 💕) so good use of the concrete textures is always a plus too.

I love small map sets like Scythe and 100 Lines.

54 minutes ago, DoctorNuriel said:

Classic style, on the smaller side with punchy combat and striking architecture. I'm a big fan of brutalist architecture (brutalist doom 💕) so good use of the concrete textures is always a plus too.

I love small map sets like Scythe and 100 Lines.

What would be a good example of brutalist doom map? 

I imagine if we had more maps like The Given then that genre would be a favourite, but as it stands my favourite type would probably be classic style or adventure style, although its very easy to get burned out on the latter.

I appreciate maps that attempt to squeeze in as much detail as possible without going overboard or having it affect the arena negatively. I'll never forget how blown away I was by the "No Rest For the Living" campaign. NRFTL took the abstract level design from the 90's and turned it on its head. It's what inspired me to play more DOOM and see what could have truly been accomplished if hardware limitations weren't a thing at the time of release. I also quite enjoy maps that utilize non-vanilla design like with the UDMF format. Slopes, 3D Floors, and scripting can turn DOOM into something else entirely and I'm cool with that. 

Classic style all the way.

I do like a slaughter map from time to time but it does get stale really fast if the formula is repeated.

Adventurous maps can be fun as well. I love non-linearity.

I guess it’d have to be classic-style maps, compact(ish) in size that I mostly prefer.

In general, almost anything goes as long as it’s well made, and not just slapped together to serve mapper’s need to be seen. I suppose joke wads have the least potential for me? I usually don’t like scarce ammo situations, but it depends on the map and my mood whether or not that’s okay.

I am a mapping hypocrite - I like adventure maps with mix of incidental/setpiece combat, and atmosphere, but my maps are primarily linear-ish setpieces/incidental.

I like all maps equally.

Except slaughtermaps.

I don't think I have a favorite. Whatever is the type/genre/style, assuming it's one I'm inclined to, gotta be in the right mood for it, and most items in the list can perfectly tick every box. That said, I could maybe say that I rarely ever feel appetite for joke maps -- if simultaneous with very hard, metagamey stuff then I prefer watching someone chill playing them. Speedrun-centric doesn't appeal to me either, again I like watching experienced people who actually do dig that stuff.

The tick however goes to classic, because Plutonia influence is classic and I'm generally open to that no matter the day.

I prefer classic style maps because they are the most fun for me. There’s usually some decent thought around enemy placement and level design. They don’t usually take forever to complete either as long as navigation isn’t confusing. Classic style maps can essentially have elements of all the other choices anyways. 

I also prefer maps that aren’t too linear, and offer multiple ways to move around the map, as these maps tend to also be decent for deathmatch. 

Classic Doom style maps are my way to go, but I must say that, if done correctly, I also like slaughter maps and exploration. And of course they are better for me when they have this kind of Isolated installations and that sort of thing

I prefer Scythe-like maps that are short, sweet, and to the point.

It's boring to only stick to a single style of maps.

Playing all kinds is best, playing mostly this but sometimes that is also cool.

As for the one that would be the least boring in the long run, for me it's combat puzzles with occasional slaughter.

joke maps. not the ones that are intentionally shitty though. the ones that attempt to actually be humorous are the best ones