Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deimos_marine

Favorite episode in DOOM

Oh...it's kind of a toss up between episodes 2 and 3, they both have their moments. I played through E1 a bit too much though, it just doesn't hold my interest as much as it used to.

Eh, there's got to be a couple crappy levels in an episode. It's standard. I think every episode has some that universally suck. It's what makes the good ones so much better.

Insomniac said:

Episode 2, with the exception of Deimos Lab (IMHO the worst Ultimate Doom level)

Really? I like that one... it's got large, spooky atmospheric sections contrasting with more action filled monster infested areas...

It's close, but I thik episode 2 wins it for me. Level one and three kind of suck, but the atmosphere for the rest really rules, especialy starting with level four. E1M7 remains my favorite level of all time (both pwad and iwad) to this day.

Episode 4 is actualy second place, though the first level annoys me a bit. I guess I just really like wood/marble themes...and the sky kicks ass. Also, it was nice to play some new professionaly-crafted levels after so long.

Episode 1 comes third, though close to the other two. I guess its because its been a bit overplayed for me, though it is a classic. Levels 5-7 actualy bore me quite a bit. E1M8 is the best boss battle of all the Dooms though.

Episode 3 comes trailing in last place. For some reason, I don't like it very much. Maybe because I'm not very partial to the hell textures. Gate to Limbo is one of my favorite levels though. Theres just something really cool about it.

I've always been an Ep1 fan, but recently Episode 2 has been growing on me. Mainly I think because there have been some very good Episode 2 feeling maps released in the last couple of years that really show what the Deimos episode should/could have been like. With them in mind, I went back to the original levels and saw them in a new light.

It's a competition between KDITD and TSOH. I'd possibly say KDITD wins, because it is certainly the most polished episode out of the bunch, in terms of visuals as well as level design. John Romero's feeling for geometry beats what's found in any other game, past or present. The graphical style is extremely crisp, consistent and moody. The foggy sky gave the whole episode a totally unique exploration-propagating ambience (I'm certainly thinking of E1M3 here). The secrets were awesome and rewarding too.

TSOH's levels aren't as consistent, and they aren't as polished either. But there's something special about TSOH's atmosphere. It's in levels like E2M2 and E2M4, that you *really* start feeling that there's something hellish going on. I didn't like E2M7 and E2M9 though, but whatever.

Inferno and TFC are OK.

Episode 1 is archetectually my fave, but for gameplay, episode 2 is the clear winner. The only map in E2 I really don't like is actually E2M1.

E2M2 is my fave level - the music is one of my two all-time fav Doom tracks and the atmosphere is neat with all those crates and imps growling - and suddenly you reach an area where it doesn't look much like a space station anymore.

E2M3 is not particularly well-designed, but I like the way it's all fucked up with these green and brown "vines" infesting the walls, plus the music is my no. one fave Doom track (music has a large say in my enjoyment of a map)

E2M4 has spoooooky atmosphere and has actually provided me with some cool inspiration.

E2M5 is not a map I play often, but it's neat because it secretly tells its own story of a true massacre that took place there (just look at all those bodies hanging from chains, dead marines, hearts on piedestals and stuff).

E2M6 has a great atmosphere in nice music too. Very claustrophic and intense in some areas.

E2M7 is just great. I have fond memories of the first day I played Doom in this map (I played it on my older brother's comp and then I loaded a saved game to find myself in this badass map). Atmosphere is great and somehow, the base-like side of the map ties in perfectly with the morphed, hellish side imo.

E2M8 is just dee-jaaaaah-vu.

E2M9 was fun but short. The design sucks so hard though.

I hate to sound redundant, but it has to be E1. E1 has this special something about it, that even after all these years, no other Episode can touch. E1 IS Doom IMO.
After E1, there's E2. I personally feel that E2 could have been designed better. Not that it's bad or anything, but id could have taken the time to ensure that it really looked something like a Hellspawn-diseased base whose reality is merging with that of the demons, which is of course Hell. E2M3 is a good example of this IMO-it looks something like a base, but the further you go through the level you realize it actually looks quite Hellish.
After is E4. Hard, yet fun. I also really like the gothic theme, but some of the levels really need to be switched around. That orange sky also goes perfectly with the E4 levels, IMO.
After that is, finally, E3. IMO this is the worst episode, mainly because it just doesn't feel Hellish enough. Some of the levels resemble E2 more than Hell, and takes away from the third Episode IMO. Plus E3M8 flat out sucks for a boss battle, IMHO.

DooMBoy said:

I personally feel that E2 could have been designed better. Not that it's bad or anything, but id could have taken the time to ensure that it really looked something like a Hellspawn-diseased base whose reality is merging with that of the demons, which is of course Hell.

Why it DOES look like a Hell-deseased base whose reality is merging with the reality of Hell :-)

Nanami said:

I'm the only person in the world who likes E4 the most, I bet. =P

No, you are not! I like E4 most, too. It combines excellent architecture with the best gameplay all of Doom has to offer. E1 ranks second but I really think it's much too easy. Unless I try to get 100% Kills, Items and Secrets this is finished in much less than half an hour, even on UV (I hate Nightmare!).
The other 2 episodes are a little inconsistent although they also contain great levels, especially E2M2 and E2M7.

E1. The most interesting architectually and the nicest looking.
E2. Doesn't quite have that same sense of place like in E1 Good gameplay though.
E3. Some maps completely stink, but E3M1 was a great introduction. Also, E3M9 took me completely by surprise when I first played it.
E4. Awesome gameplay. Awesome architecture. But I HATE gothic style maps for some reason...too bland for me. I missed the moon bases.

E4 had bad texture alignment in some places, and the order of the levels was horrible (E4M2 could easily be the hardest level for pistol start in the episode, and it's the second level! Even E4M6 is easier than it), but it's still my favorite episode. I'm looking forward to the mapping for Doom: Enigma's episode four. That should be interesting.

Ranked in order for the 2nd time

Eipsode 1, 4, 3, 2

The only level in the 2nd episode i liked was the first

Episode 1 for me.

I like E2, especially gameplay, but the styling is some times a little awekward. I've never cared much for E3, though I do enjoy some of the maps like House of Pain and Pandemonium.

I like brown sauce.
I also like 'Inferno'. I'm a Hell bitch and proud of it.

pritch said:

Episode 1 for me.

I like E2, especially gameplay, but the styling is some times a little awekward. I've never cared much for E3, though I do enjoy some of the maps like House of Pain and Pandemonium.

This is me, but I'd take Episode 2 over 1. Just for the Spawning Vats, which is inspirational everytime I play it.

E1, neat.
First time u play it, ur all kill-happy, i wanna kill every monster, find every secret, explore every area, get all the items. By the time u get to the labs, u just wanna get the fuck outta there.
And then ur used to fighting these pussy monsters and then u get to the end and haveta fight the Barons. Fuck me, it seemed like it never ends, then u go into the god damned gate and u end up in that room with the monsters and acid and u just can't win. It's insane.

Live it.