Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quill

What are your mapping rules?

I'm just curious on you guys' approaches to mapping.

My mapping rules are a derivative of John Romero's rules, albeit with some of my additions:

• Special border textures rule also apply to flats
  • Use similar-looking textures to create a dynamic & detailed look (for example: ROCK2, ROCK1, ROCK3)
  • A ceiling/floor flat should match its neighboring upper/lower texture
  • Being conscious about texturing palette so the map doesn't look like Christmas
  • Hurt Me Plenty is the normal difficulty. Add monsters for UV and remove some for HNTR
  • Always add a non-essential Ultra-Violence Zombieman LMAO
Edited by dotQLL

I have a couple of rules I like to follow when making maps.

• No inescapable pits.  I never liked that aspect of the stock maps, so in the stuff I make, I always ensure there's a way out, whether it's a lift, stairs or a teleporter.
  • Blood has never looked damaging to me, so it never will be in my creations.

I haven't mapped in a while, I should get back to it soon....

My 'rule' is that I have no rules. Anything and everything is contingent to all other aspects of the map I'm making in that specific moment. No point in giving myself 'rules' if I know I'll be breaking them at my earliest convenience. 

My rules are:

• Lava floors always have 20% damage
  • Other damaging floors have 5/10% damage
  • Always use lighting glows with 256 light value, especially for teleports
  • Talking about teleports, i use SUPPORT3 on them, both for sectors walls and adjacent walls if any. Most of the time is GATE3 for normal teleports and GATE4 for exit ones
  • Tending to emulate the original IWAD maps, not being afraid to even tribute them in some parts of the maps.
  • In doubt, fill the map with shotgunners :)
  • Secrets have to be somehow findable by the player, using both a easier approach like a different texture or a thing like candles or other items letting you looking for it, like a small sector changes or different lighting.

I'm not much of a mapper at the moment but I generally adhere to the idea of avoid using the same boss like the Spider Mastermind or Cyberdemon more than once in a map.

On top of the possibility of wearing players out with top-tier bullet sponge enemies, it also devalues their presence to the point where they almost end up feeling like any other enemy rather than a boss.

In addition, I also think of them as unique characters like how Doomguy or Daisy are so having 10 of them in a map to me is the equivalent of fighting against 10 Ganons in The Legend Of Zelda.

Gotcha and The Spirit World get a pass as there are two bosses that are positioned so infighting can be easily initiated between them. While the idea of there being two Spider Masterminds simultaneously does kinda bug me, I will admit it was a bit amusing seeing these two Masterminds marching along with their own little Arachnotron armies.

Barons Of Hell are completely exempt, of course, as they were pretty much meant to demoted bosses after their introduction with their high mid-tier health. Not to mention, said introduction was a boss fight in Doom 1 that featured two of them.

Romero's rules are pretty good, and DavidN has a great video on Visual Language of Doom maps I can't recommend enough.

• From Romero's book - height, size and lighting variations, SUPPORT2 or 3 to separate textures
  • From David's book - SW1 for un-activated switches (except SW1PIPE), GATE4 for teleporter destinations, TEKBRON for remotely opened doors
  • When player activates a switch, they should see what it did
  • Have a theme of the map, not using every monster type, weapon, and texture/flat
  • Keep the playtime up to 25 minutes top
  • Consistent hurtfloors. Lava 20%, nukage 10%, no in-escapable pits, and I make flowing blood safe
  • No wall-humping secrets. The player should always have a hunch that this piece of wall does something based on surrounding clues
  • More small pickups spread around the room are better than few large pickups in one place - keeps the player moving
  • I try to avoid 90 degree angles, they feel dirty :D bevel (almost) everything. That also helps with making inspiring room shapes
  • Even incidental combat encounters should be threatening and up tempo
  • Some monster closets should open new areas of progression
  • 1 or 2 keys is usually enough for this map length
  • Backtracking is okay if you make it different and interesting each time

There's bunch more but I gotta go

Edited by HrnekBezucha

- make the map look like only you could've made it

- dealign some of the textures on purpose; have one doortrak pegged differently to the other

- make majority of the map either inexplicable or impossible to enter; "Level complete! 11% kills, 1% items, 6% secrets"

- imagine a doom player who's a stickler for readable convention then try to piss them off as much as possible

- line-art of zigzag the skunk

- imbue the map with meaning not gameplay lol

Never finish what I started

More seriously , I always make maps I'm able to beat. It's one of the most important rules for me.

For those who never make damaging water or dead pits, you must be fun at parties.

38 minutes ago, Roofi said:

For those who never make damaging water or dead pits, you must be fun at parties.

You and the Casalis would get toghether nicely.

- Difficulties implemented, everybody should have Fun and also hardcore Players could be in the Mood to have it not hardcore.

- As many, Blood, Mud and Water does not hurt.

- Every Pit should be escapable.

- Make Berserk actually Fun to use, strangely enough, Doom VFR was the only original Doom i had a really nice usage of Berserk (jumping and fisting a Mancubus in the Face in VR was sooo awsome!).

- Give hints where to go with Power Ups and Enemies.

- Do not Wolfenstein and make the Player press against every Wall.

- Don't do Doom 2 and make everything brown.

- Give colorfoul Contrasts.

- Make here and there some nice Lightning

My current rules (post Whispers of Satan)

R for RULES

R for REALISIM

Edit: First thing I want to say is that my mapping simply rules!

DAMAGING LIQUIDS

-Lava -20%

-Nukage -10%

-Blood -5% or 0%.

-Water 0%

-Slime 0,5 or 10%

-Cracks 5%

ANIMATED TEXTURES

-Always use 1,2,3,4 etc to vary the animation. For example ROCKRED1, ROCKRED2, ROCKRED3, BFALL1,2,etc. Most authors only use 1.

-All skill settings for monsters.

-Secrets are important.

-All pits escapable either by elevator or teleport.

-Ambushes are fast and sudden and often in open areas which allow the player to move more freely.

-Gradient lighting between areas.

-Linear and non linear mix. (Linear progression but non linear areas) Overlapping, etc.

-Interconnection. (If possible)

-I try to limit backtracking these days, a big problem of mine during my early days of mapping. But if some backtracking is required (Zone 400 MAP20) make sure new areas open up. In city maps it is less of an issue because the player can explore and run around more freely while fighting monsters.

-Monster infighting, esp in heavily populated maps, city style, etc.

-After WOS I now try to avoid highly symmetrical maps layout wise, but symmetrical areas are okay for example one or two rooms, hub rooms, etc.

-Usage of border textures both horizontally (SUPPORT2/3, etc) and vertically (STEP*, WOOD5, etc)

-Texture alignment.

-Height variation is good.

-Most teleporters are GATE1 2 and 3. A two way teleporter has the same GATE* texture at both ends.

-Most of John Romero's other design rules.

Edited by pcorf

I am a very lazy and unproductive mapper, but:

• Be consistent with hurt floor damage. This usually means: lava hurts most, nukage hurts somewhat, water, blood and mud don't hurt. However, I'm having an internal debate if I should just let go of hurt floors; I like it when some maps have lava that doesn't hurt.
  • Use SUPPORT-textures or similar to accomplish wall texture changes. Also height variation when flat texture changes, unless it really looks seamless.
  • I must be able to beat my own level on UV, and NOT finding all secrets.
  • Preferrably no inescapable pits (unless aesthetically or otherwise necessary or appropriate).
  • The effect of switches and such should be immediately apparent or clear in some way.
  • Player should be equipped to take on challenges. No pistolling or shotgunning barons etc.
  • Exits should be clearly marked.
  • Backtracking should be made exciting, if it can't be avoided.

Lately I have used some of the following principles.

1. Try doing something new with each map to keep things fresh.

2. I like layouts that are interconnected. If they are quick and fun to run around without monsters it is a good sign.

3. Work to your own conventions, not others - even if they are generally accepted. I trust my instincts now, and like to add character to my maps.

4. I have got into making secrets. Nested secrets large areas and optional gameplay is good. If you have more ideas for your map but it is long enough already, make them a secret or optional area.

5. I like risk/reward scenarios like multiple routes or strategies that allow players to pick their own pace.

6. On the contrary I am often thinking of ways to force the player to keep moving and never feel too comfortable.

1. Will this be fun for the player?
2. Sharp corners = Implied danger | Beveled Corners = Implied safety

3. If I can sequence break/softlock during my own playtesting, adapt it into a secret area to reward exploration.

I can't think of many others right now, I'm pretty new.

Edited by kwc

If a switch opens a door you should be able to see it opening/whatever the results of that action are.

Doors that open by switches should use different textures to manually openable doors. 

Recessed doors look better (admittedly Largely didn't do this at first).

Visual contrast through lighting or shadows is king.

If you can see an outside at the start of the map, it should be accessible and play a key part in later progression. 

Just one for me: respect the player.

respect the player as in:

You can throw as many Arch-Viles at the player as you want, however you must give him the weapons or the chance to beat them all.

Any floor can be damaging if you use them consistently (i.e. nukage always has 5 dmging floor) or place some obvious sign right next to it.

Medikits and/or Stimpacks should be common enough for the player to not make him run around with 1% health left.

etc...

Some points may be broken in scenarios like gimmick maps (i.e maps where you have to run around with 1% health), however you still have to, well, respect the player.

Here are my rules, i may add new ones :

• Make small maps that are fun
  • Balance enemies in difficulties
  • Add broken things for atmosphere
  • Add mostly sky textures for the roof (or a broken roof with a sky texture)

The best example of this is my work on The Upcoming Beyond DOOM MAP02

For me it's less rules and more guidelines and I won't mention many of them as the more I mapped, the more I realized that I was happier breaking the rules than I was following them. I will mention the ones that I think are still a good idea even now and ones I try to follow.

• It's Doom. It doesn't have to make sense: Whenever I get stuck on how a map should flow, I chant this to myself. I'm probably in the minority here but I think Doom maps look the best when it is free of the need to make sense. So what if this mansion has an upside down room? So what if there's water in the ceiling? So what if there's like 2 Bed rooms and 3 dinning rooms? So what if there's sky on the ground? Sadly its really hard to get out of the mindset of trying to make more grounded locations.
  • Floor and ceiling texture changes should always have some kind of "Separator." By that I mean if the ceiling or floor (And sometimes wall textures) changes, there should be a border texture or height variation.
  • Minimize Texture cutoff. Don't let textures end abruptly or stretch and bend in weird ways. It always looks weird.

My mapping rules:

• If there's a problem that breaks the map (secret that won't trigger, softlocks etc.)
  • Keep things clean enough
  • keep fights balanced and beatable for an experienced doom player but not too hard
  • Make secrets rewarding and findable, and potentially unlock other secrets, like a yellow key secret unlocking another secret because of said yellow key.
  • Give the player enough health (for short maps, a mega or soulsphere for big maps enough health to get through) 
  • Same as the above but with armour, weapons and ammo.

1. Make levels that you would like to play.
  2. Take frequent breaks from mapping.
  3. Have fun and ignore most of the rules. 

There's more hiding in the back of my mind, but it's morning in America and I'm up very early, so:

• Be consistent. Set a precedent that players can follow, and break a pattern only when it should feel exceptional. Damaging floors can be your friend.
  • Make what you would play. It doesn't have to be your favorite kind of design or experience, just something you would give the time of day. Fun & appreciation come first. Consider how long you'll have on average to play a "small" or "large" map, too.
  • Communicate to the player what kind of Doom map they're about to play. If it's a resource starvation trip, start with nothing and don't suddenly throw items at players. If it's the opposite, resource players generously from the start. This ties into "be consistent".
  • Build logical/thematic transitions between layout and encounters (e.g. combat, puzzles, platforming, etc.). This ranges from basic trim between sides/sectors to larger-scale considerations like the space between setpiece fights.
  • Have a sense of humor. It can be a subtly funny use of IWAD textures, some DoomCute furnishings, or sticking a zombieman at the exit switch just for players to gib. Even the most grim map out there can benefit from this. Doom has an inherent goofiness to it which should be leveraged.
  • Respect the player. Write an easy-to-read text file quickly explaining your creation and intended audience. Be consistent ("keep it simple, stupid").
  • Don't worry about "mapping sins" or hard rules. All I've suggested so far are guidelines I follow, based on what I like to play, make, and review.
  • If you must worry, then worry about feedback. Family, friends, community members—they'll give you a range of comments & suggestions leading you to a better map in the end. Feedback isn't sacred, but the most successful creators acknowledge and use it to find a compromise between vision and playability.
  • As others have said, map because you enjoy mapping. It's a worthwhile activity in and of itself. Save scrapped ideas, layouts, traps & gimmicks, etc. just in case you can use them later. End results/releases are great and worth striving for, but don't lose sight of your fun.
Edited by PasokonDeacon

I'm sure I have a lot more rules that I subconsciously enforce onto myself, but off the top of my head:

1) Be able to beat my own map.

2) For typical casual oriented maps, don't require SR40 for progression; make sure jumps are doable with normal running and tank controls, at least for some correct angle and lead-up.

3) Have fun when mapping.

always start your project by spending an hour tracing large, intricate patterns into a flat:

Spoiler

image.png.8445f5951191709d48e3c520f82185eb.pngimage.png.1de762668913e654683b9b710f55fe5e.png

if you run out of ideas, just make something with platforms over death pits and cybers (poogers map25, ass61, more unreleased)

draw shapes first, make a convincing map later

"i beat it with saves once, so it's balanced"

fcff broke my brain to the point that i can only map with its city textures

*something* to troll the maxers (stupid unbalanced fight, glide, nasty platforming, anything i can come up with)