Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quill

What are your mapping rules?

There's a limit that even those who propose a 'there are no rules' mindset don't want to see crossed.

Spoiler

Rule #1: No harassment

Rule #2: No slurs

Rule #3: No unexpected scripts that change people's game settings

Rule #4: [We don't talk about rule #4.]

Rule #5: Only use as a base maps and prefabs where permission is explicitly granted for either you or authors in general to do so.

As for what makes a map good or not, it's all so contextual that I think it's best that you experiment a lot.

There's no easy thing that automatically makes a map better or worse, it's how everything factors in together.

I guess for me the most important rule is to make sure that a map flows well and gives a large amount of freedom to both the player and monsters. As such keeping doors/lifts to a minimum. 
If you are making a set of maps, try to make sure that you can make each one easily distinguishable from the rest (Use a different dominant texture(s), even if the theme is the same (Techbase, hell etc)). 
Try to avoid starving the player of ammo, I have tended to prefer using a higher number of rockets in my maps (or at least try to). 

That is a few from me, I would love to create more “awe-inspiring” scenes, but that never has been my strong point.

My rules are:

1) Mostly symmetrical design

2) Adding unnecessary details to give my map a more realistic look but also adding some weird looking stuff for a little bit of contrast

3) Trying to implement an idea for a fight or map geometry, then procrastinate after it's like 5% finished

4) Every map should have more than just one arch-vile and cyberdemon; Ideally I want to use most if not all of the monsters in my map

5) Linear progression and routing

6) Difficulty wise it should be challenging but not to the point where I can't UV Max my own map because I suck at Doom

I only really map for deathmatch now, but these are my rules:

1) Aim to have at least two exits per room you create. The occasional dead-end for a power-up, or a nice gun is okay.

2) No greater height differential between floors than 192. This prevents stairs from getting too steep / slippery.

3) No 64x64 hallways whatsoever, even to reach a power-up.

4) No damaging floors. (Unless you're trying to prevent BFG camping)

5) No doors under any circumstance, I know some people like using them, but in my opinion, they generally destroy whatever flow you were going for, as other players can hear them open, and even the fastest ones still make you hesitate for a short time. Not a single one of my DM maps has a door.

6) Quake 3 style weapon placement. I prefer to have centralized locations for each weapon, rather than say, putting 5 SSGs in a map, or giving everybody an SSG from spawn.

7) No megaspheres, unless extreme BFG abuse requires them, and if that's the case, there's probably something wrong w/ the map anyway.

8) Minimal use of lifts. Same problem as doors, too much hesitation / standing still.

9) No dead-ends. You should be able to run a 'lap' around your entire map without bumping into anything.

10) 1 power-up of some kind; I typically select a supercharge, or a green armor. Although, blue armor also has its place, too. Some don't like power-up cycles, but I tend to enjoy them. It can add an extra strategic / logistical challenge to an otherwise lacking map. All my DM maps are to be played w/ respawning items on.

11) Avoid symmetry at all costs! Single symmetrical rooms are okay, if asymmetric areas branch off of those. Your whole map should never be symmetrical.

12) Design landmarks in certain regions of your level, so that people are able to more accurately define where they are in the map.

13) Always have adequate distance between a spawn and a power-up or strong gun. (BFG)

14) Avoid 'bumpy' floors! Nobody wants to be jostled up n' down in a DM map. It messes w/ people's aim.

15) Ladders are both useful and fun when used correctly.

16) Inset all 'details' into the walls. You should be able to drag yourself down nearly every wall in your map, without getting caught up on anything.

17) Never have more than 2 sets of teleporters in a map. Color-code them, so that players know which one goes where.

18) I aim for small-medium to medium sized maps. Anything larger, and it can become a wander-fest.

19) Never map because you feel you 'have to'. Only ever map if you're feeling creative, or have the 'mapper's itch.'

20) Never have a teleporter bring you to an area that is not otherwise accessible from the rest of the map proper. This just allows trollish players to camp teleport exits.

21) No monsters of any kind, this should be obvious.

22) Always spawn a player on a weapon. Only masochists enjoy pistol-starts in DM.

23) Don't clutter your map in an effort to add cover! Generally, larger more open areas work better in DM. Nobody wants to be weaving in and out of a horde of crates - certain cover can make your movement predictable to your opponents. Sometimes it is best to have next to no-cover at all, to encourage more dynamic movement / faster frags.

24) Pay attention to ammo, especially if you have a plaz and a BFG in the same level. If the player can easily scoop the plaz, then they will have a massive surplus of cells the moment they pick up the BFG - that usually spells certain doom for everyone else in the map. I generally aim to allow 2-3 blasts of BFG, before the player runs out of ammo - any other ammo, they'll need to pick-up.

25) Sometimes a map will simply have to be scrapped. Sometimes what you've made just isn't viable for good DM play. Don't spend needless time trying to repair a 'tainted' level - instead take your new feedback, and make a sparkly new one.

26) Send your work directly to at least 2 playtesters. This is imperative. Sometimes we get so caught up in our creations, that we don't see glaring flaws. Always be open to critique, even negative feedback is beneficial in some regard.

27) Have fun! If you're not having fun, you're mapping wrong.

Sorry for the wall of text, but that's generally how I do things! :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about this.

28) Artificial lighting is 240, natural lighting is 192, and 160 for shadows.

Edited by Arrowhead

My one general rule these days is make everything with purpose. Think about what this space will be used for from a design perspective. Is it a transition area? Is it leading you to a specific goal point? Is it a visual reward moment to make the player go whoa?
This doesn't mean that you can't follow an organic design process and have to plan everything super carefully, but at some point you should making decisions about why this space exists in your map.

One thing I notice is that I tend to think of my textures as materials, and thus a flat on a floor has to have a similarly-colored lower texture, as OP mentioned.

The rule I want to follow again one day is to stick with it. Even if a concept looks bad in the editor at the moment, it needs the work and passion to blossom into an actual level.

it has to be fun if I'm making something and it seems bland/going nowhere I'll delete the map and start again

1. Map must have at least 3 lines and 1 sector

2. NO granfalloons

4. Where I would normally stellate something, I do not.

5. Playtesting is important, maybe above all else

6. Geometry dictates the gameplay as much as thing placement. IE, you can't draw a complete map and then start adding gameplay as a separate phase. You were adding gameplay the whole time.

7. Sometimes if you're frustrated by something being overly symmetrical, you can literally cut it in half and only keep one side.

8. Have a show on in the background and complain about the plot

9. Water is always damaging

I'm not the best mapper - even close - so maybe my rules shouldn't be taken as advice, but here's what I shoot for:

1. I have to be able to beat it without secrets; I'm not the best player so my maps might be easy to the higher level players but I'd rather have my maps be more accessible to the more average player.

2. Liquids are almost as important as sky to really add visual variety and depth to the look of your map. Use3D's Map12 from CChest would't look like it does if it weren't for it's mud usage, Map01 of Congestion 1024 wouldn't be how it is without water, etc. Water and the waterfall textures from Final Doom or Gothic DM are used in most of my levels. They really add a lot. Same with lava, blood, etc.

3. If doing a tech base, try to have an interesting gimmick or fun gameplay concept. I love the Community Chest wads as well as many other techbase - heavy mapsets, but the incidental shotgun - and - chaingun - against - imps - and - zombies - style of gameplay has gotten a bit stale nowadays. Have traps in your level, through in a concept like maybe basing it around one weapon like the cg or rl, maybe you can start with 200 \ 200 and a full backpack but don't get any other resources. Shake it up.

4. Beveled corners are for techbases to channel my inner Flange Peddler. Sharp corners are for more open Plutonia or Plutonia 2 styled wads. I have no clue why, but this one just fits for me.

5. Don't lean into a gameplay gimmick halfway; if it's there, use it to it's full potential.

6. Speedmap often. Even if you don't release them, the concept forces you to get creativity flowing, very useful.

7. If you're using a particular map format, use it to it's full potential. This is more a "hot take" (as the kids call it) but I personally try to use every bit of the map format I can. I think everyone should do what they want; if you want to use UDMF just so you can align flats how you like and otherwise keep it vanilla, more power to you. For me, if I'm mapping for Boom, expect tons of Line Action 242, expect TRANMAP lumps, expect generalized doors, expect that awkward door - based dynamic lighting (looks great in MBF!), etc. If I'm in vanilla, expect blocky but moderately detailed architecture, simpler monster encounters, etc. I find it fun to map that way.

8. Music is incredibly important and definitely needs to be pondered over carefully. Even using vanilla tracks, make sure it brings the most out of the level it can.

9. Have fun. Comparison is the killer of enjoyment. Seriously, some people are incredible at mapping but as long as you are trying your best, not seeking recognition, not comparing others to yourself, and always doing what's interesting and engaging to you, you'll be alright.

The only rule i have for mapping, is to always try to build a map that i have fun playing. That's it

Other than that, i do have a few mapping habits, but i wouldn't necesarily call them rules such as always doing the first test runs without taking any secrets to balance properly or always trying to make the map fun to navigate in

My mapping approach:

• Don't. It'll all end in tears!
  • Ask someone else to do it for you.

A few things I typically do when mapping:

Spoiler

[1] ALIGN. EVERY. TEXTURE. Anyone who knows what I'm like when mapping knows I spam the A key a LOT during any of my projects. I dislike a texture in my map not being aligned properly and I can't stop focusing on it unless I fix it.

[2] Always supply the lower difficulties with extra goodies. Generally speaking, I don't usually constrict ammo, armour or health supplies for difficulties below UV since I want people who prefer to play on HMP (like me <3) to have an easier time.

[3] The map MUST be 100% kills possible with 0% Secrets. I know some people just wanna kill everything and not hump every last pixel of every wall so I generally make sure 100% kills is necessary without secrets.

[4] DooM cute. I never realised just how frequently I spam DooM-cute aesthetics in my maps. I can literally just use one of the decoration objects but no, I'm more likely to DooM-cute something than place a simple Thing entity.

For every floor or ceiling height difference, give a different flat. If you can see an outside sector, make a way to get there. Add up how much ammo would be needed for every monster in the map then add about 10 percent more than that for each weapon. The player spawn should never have enemies facing towards them, this gives the player some idea of how to approach the opening situation. If there is a damaging pit ALWAYs give way out. If there is a monster closet full of projectile and hitscanners together, always put the hitscanners in front so they are less likey to engage upon infighting thus ruining your trap. Never base map circumstances on reality, this is a game, make every part of your map as such. Unpeg all door tracks.

Edited by Dub Bag

I've been making tons of Horde maps recently, but I've used these on Deathmatch and CTF maps and I imagine most of these apply as general mapping principles.

1. If you're staring at an open copy of UDB and nothing gets drawn, just close it.  Inspiration can strike when you least expect it, but not while you're forcing it.
  2. Try something new or different from a gameplay or visual design perspective on every map.  Even if the experiment ends up being a bad one you'll usually have some bits and pieces leftover you can cobble into something good later.
  3. Don't detail a map until they GRAYTALL version is interesting to move around in and fun to play.
    a. If a particular section of map just feels bleh or doesn't flow, delete that section and remake it.  Often your second or third try will result in something more interesting.
    b. If the layout as a whole feels bleh, mentally reduce the layout to a graph of nodes and connecting lines between them.  The more mazey and unpredictable the graph looks, the better, the more patterns the graph has the worse.  Pick out the less dense or similar parts of the graph and start rearranging connectivity until things improve.
  4. If you can't figure out how to detail a mostly-empty room, try some strategic doomcute.  Even better if the entire map can be anchored around some sort of verismilitude, because then you get to tap into a well of detailing ideas for free.

I'm personally not a mapper, so I'd like to mention mapping rules, I, as a player, wish that mappers would follow. (I hope not to violate this thread by this.)

- Always provide ways to return back, and allow player to revisit the whole, or at least all main parts of the map, and avoid places with no return. For example when a player falls down or enters a teleport which transfers him into different section of map, add a lift or teleport that brings the player back. If there's a fight you intend not to be cheaply escapable, still provide a way to return after player finishes the fight. I always want to find all missed secrets and recollect items I left around the map for later need.
- Don't do one-chance secrets, which cannot be visited in case they were missed for the first (and only) try. If you still want a secret that gives advantage only if player finds it at the first chance, make sure to make it still accessible later on.
- Avoid unkillable/unreachable monsters. If you for example add a hidden archvile who just resurrects monsters behind the wall, still allow the player to kill it later, or crush him when no longer needed.
- Water should never do damage. Stay consistent with amount of damage on other liquids types across whole map/megawad.
- Don't overuse Revenants, Cyberdemons and Archviles.
- Don't forget about Spider Masterminds completely.
- Do interesting and creative secrets, which would satisfy the player.

the two things I stick the most to are:

1. Door tracks are left pegged. (I like how they look sliding up with the door.)

2. When mapping for (G)ZDoom, never use wall textures on the floor/ceiling or flats on walls. (It doesn't look right to me 99% of the time.)

I have a few rules myself.

* Try to bring something new / fresh / innovative.
* Avoid linearity on the overall design of the map.
* Reuse areas, but open them up and make them evolve.
* Doom can easily feel static, employ raising bridges, lowering floors, elevators and similar stuff.
* Never ever have one-way teleporters with a landing teleporter pad that does not work.
* Loads of secrets. Always a tell!
* Consistency from map to map if making a multi map project or series.
* Don't steal assets from others/other games. Make your own or get permission.
* Should run in Doom 2 version 1.9 (dos), The Ultimate Doom 1.9 (dos), Final Doom buggy executable 1.9 (dos) or Chocolate Doom.
* Always include replacement demo files that do not ruin the exploration of the map.
* Make sure the ENDOOM matches your mapping ambition.
* There are about 16 light levels, use most of them.
* No unfair traps. This is not Rick Dangerous.
* All three skill levels should have decent content.
* Keyed doors should generally be stay open unless there is a specific gameplay element involved by limiting monster movement.

* Ignore most expert advice from other mappers unless you agree with their points. Do not follow guidelines you do not like yourself.
* Sensible theme for areas when it comes to technology age. No wood areas in space base, no modern day madness in a hell map etc.
* Aim for every 15-30 sector be something you activate / change / use as a special effect.
* Coop is for 2-4 friends playing on a LAN, have enough ammo and add more monsters and bosses.
* Shortcut teleporters for coop when respawning.
* Provide keys and weapons near the start if you have reached them later in the map on coop mode.
* Try to make at least a half-hearted attempt at supporting DM play.
* Innovative traps are the best traps. Surprise the player with the execution, not with the difficulty.
* Don't be afraid to include 1-time-only secrets that aren't unfair aand make sure they are well telegraphed.
* Play test a LOT. Let other skilled players play test. If possible, observe them while they play.
* If using stock textures, use them in innovative ways.
* Most of Romero's advice is very good.
* Make sure the auto map looks good. Hide shit like control sectors as best you can.
* Reprogram the node builder to do new stuff no one has done before.
* Accept that some players will whine about your map not working 100% in their favorite port. If it doesn't work, the port has a bug, not the map.

Mine are:

• always use the same floor texture for the same elevation
  • Always make sure the player knows what a switch does
  • No death pits
  • keep texture consistency throughout the entire level
  • never underestimate the power of decoration objects

These are more like guidelines than actual rules.

• Draw a sketch of a potential map on graph, start with the beginning area, then the "middle", and finally the exit area. 
  • Think about what this map's theme is going to be. 
  • Open the editor and start drawing these three separated areas. 
  • Think about map progression between these three areas and draw sectors that would work with them.
  • If said sectors look "sloppy" or feels like filler rather than integral parts of the layout, delete and redraw them.
  • Rework any part of the map until it "feels" right to look at and test it.
  • Keep textures aligned as much as possible.
  • DOORTRAK texture is always lower unpegged, unless it's used as lift rails.
  • Sometimes using an inescapable death pit is ok. 
  • Lava always does 20% and glows. 
  • Cracked flats always does 5-10% damage. 
  • Nukage does 5% 
  • Blood sometimes hurts by 5% (i don't imagine it hurts because its boiling, rather it hurts the player because it's caustic)
  • Mud/Slime is safe.
  • Water's also safe.
  • Scale difficulty by starting from ITYTD up. 
  • Lower difficulty settings doesn't always correlate with less monsters, just a prevalence of less threatening ones.
  • Higher difficulty settings should have more threatenning monsters, but also difficulty based teleport encounters.
  • Monsters should teleport in a revisited area to make backtracking less boring.
  • No techbase doors nor textures should be used on a Hell map.