Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dotQLL

[1.4.1] v64 - Maps with only 64 Vertices

17 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

@RedBoule

A million monsters in a tight space + BFG spam makes for a fun but short slaughtermap. A lot easier than I expected, but I guess that's the power of infighting and BFG spam. 
The decorations are weird but give the map a distinct look and suit the space theme well. Maybe but a few monsters on top of the blocks? 

Anyway, fun secret level

Glad you liked the map! I'll see what monsters I can add on the blocks.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, gabirupee said:

Was not satisfied with my map and found it quite boring, so i remaked it into a fun little slaughter fight and added proper deathmatch spawns.

(ps: yes i drawed a chicken)

Download

i actually found ur first map pretty nice and interesting, i used the difficulty to balance mine to be not too easy or too hard compared to it.

Spoiler

i do like the lil chicken but this was kind of "a run to the bfg and the fight is over kinda map."

the sniping arachnotrons are stuck btw

8 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

What a weird icon of sin map. I wasn't able to do this one without checking the map builder first, and then it was trivially easy. The icon of sin is no threat at all, except for the occasional caco or pain elemental. It's also really fuggly, even for a 90s map. But that's just my personal opinion. Take it or leave it.

I'll take it.

Thanks for playing my map. I'm surprised you didn't have much more criticisms to make, honestly.

You said in the video that Doom 2's MAP30 doesn't have a lot of vertices.

It actually has 76 vertices, 12 more than the limit of this map, and 20 of which are taken by the actual Icon of Sin itself.

I'm actually surprised the Icon of Sin in the original Doom 2 didn't take up more vertices, considering it used a crapload of sectors in order to work around Doom 2's texture size limits.

But anyways, my map only has 16 vertices. Honestly, I was way too wary about my use of vertices here, and I wasn't sure what textures I should use here either.

Also, I was too afraid of making the level too hard for me to beat. I already had to include 21 Lost Souls in the level because dealing with the Pain Elemental was so annoying, especially under the Chocolate Doom source port I tested the level with. I wasn't sure where else to add spawn targets at.

And yeah, the limited rockets is part of the challenge. If you want more rockets, you can always play at a lower difficulty. I did test this level in HNTR, HMP, and UV.

11 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

Fun map, but really, really easy, especially for a map 29. I was able to beat it cold with no effort and even went back to do a pacifist run, which is easy up to the yellow door, but still doable. Still, pretty decent arena fight and it looks pretty good. The blocking items can be annoying but are clear enough and the room is spacious enough not to be a huge concern.

Cool. Glad it was fun. Don't know what else to say here. Was I supposed to be treating it as the hardest map of the wad? Can't teleport anything in with current layout and flooding it with more enemies would seem unnecessary. Plus, I still struggled with it for a minute, and I don't tend to make things I can't beat myself. 

5 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

I'll take it.

Thanks for playing my map. I'm surprised you didn't have much more criticisms to make, honestly.

You said in the video that Doom 2's MAP30 doesn't have a lot of vertices.

It actually has 76 vertices, 12 more than the limit of this map, and 20 of which are taken by the actual Icon of Sin itself.

I'm actually surprised the Icon of Sin in the original Doom 2 didn't take up more vertices, considering it used a crapload of sectors in order to work around Doom 2's texture size limits.

But anyways, my map only has 16 vertices. Honestly, I was way too wary about my use of vertices here, and I wasn't sure what textures I should use here either.

Also, I was too afraid of making the level too hard for me to beat. I already had to include 21 Lost Souls in the level because dealing with the Pain Elemental was so annoying, especially under the Chocolate Doom source port I tested the level with. I wasn't sure where else to add spawn targets at.

And yeah, the limited rockets is part of the challenge. If you want more rockets, you can always play at a lower difficulty. I did test this level in HNTR, HMP, and UV.

16 only? Then you have some room for improvement!

The original only having 76 is not surprising, it's very bare bones, but I'm sure it could be done with 64.

3 hours ago, Death Bear said:

Cool. Glad it was fun. Don't know what else to say here. Was I supposed to be treating it as the hardest map of the wad? Can't teleport anything in with current layout and flooding it with more enemies would seem unnecessary. Plus, I still struggled with it for a minute, and I don't tend to make things I can't beat myself. 

Adding more enemies won't make it much harder. There is so much room to move and cover to use. Removing the cyberdemon would probably make it harder, cause right now he just kills everything if you keep running in circles. Maybe put him behind the yellow or blue door? 

Or you could leave it as is. It is fun, that's what is most important

so, i updated my map.

Changes:

fixed the bluekey bug by sacrificing my anus to Shub-Nibburah.

removed 7 revenants on uv

fixing the bluekey bug made the monster teleporting sequence inconsistent. Sometimes they will all come at once to send you to Brazell (hell in Brazil), other times they suddenly will lobotomize themselves and not understand that they should freaking teleport

the complicated way through which i fixed the bluekey bug now also means that demons start teleporting instantly, so you will have time to pick up only one gun on either side on the arena without needing to slaughter through the horde, so think wisely.

thanks to:

@dotQLL for helping immensely with this update.

@DevilMyEyes and @Doomlust for playtesting this map.

and @Pistoolkip for being enough of a meanie so i could improve. Thanks, you dum.

I'll admit, it takes a special kind of egocentrism from me to talk about an update to a map in a community project like it matters, i'm just having a blast with this.

IRONLUNGV4.zip

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, %some random internet shkila said:

so, i updated my map.

Changes:

fixed the bluekey bug by sacrificing my anus to Shub-Nibburah.

removed 7 revenants on uv

fixing the bluekey bug made the monster teleporting sequence inconsistent. Sometimes they will all come at once to send you to Brazell (hell in Brazil), other times they suddenly will lobotomize themselves and not understand that they should freaking teleport

the complicated way through which i fixed the bluekey bug now also means that demons start teleporting instantly, so you will have time to pick up only one gun on either side on the arena without needing to slaughter through the horde, so think wisely.

thanks to:

@dotQLL for helping immensely with this update.

@DevilMyEyes and @Doomlust for playtesting this map.

and @Pistoolkip for being enough of a meanie so i could improve. Thanks, you dum.

I'll admit, it takes a special kind of egocentrism from me to talk about an update to a map in a community project like it matters, i'm just having a blast with this.

IRONLUNGV4.zip

The instant teleporting now makes this map even more pointlessly difficult.
That, plus the 1-way nature of the weapon choice, and also the teleport destination locations, make it basically close to impossible unless you're a "doomgod" or a TASer, IMHO.

If there was cover of some kind UV Max would almost be possible, but as it stands you have no choice but to take revenant balls and chaingun hits, that's even if you manage to lead some of the revballs into the backs of some HKS, or get HKS to path inbetween you and attacking chaingunners.

The one good thing about V4 is that the candlesticks are closer to the edges, otherwise it's still needlessly hard, tbh.

UV Speed is possible in the very first version and a previous version that removed the dumb invisible crusher, but now I don't know if it will be possible, and after how much recording i've done and how many screenshots I've taken I honestly can't be bothered, I'm sorry.

I've already given this map more attention, in the interest of helping you, than it frankly deserves ( Simply because it still needs to go back in the oven for a long time, I think )...

Here are a bunch of -viddumped attempts recorded in dsda-doom 0.24.3 with -complevel 2:
https://mega.nz/file/PttWBTJC#VALArES8FH4nQAQyyIIGvZyOIF0BBX0gYicar49o9pU
I've recorded probably 40+ overall and only a handfull got close to the exit.
The majority of my deaths came from getting close to the end but then being blocked by monsters and getting hit in the back by rev missiles or chaingun bursts..

I have a few suggestions to improve this map:
:- Make the middle square walkable so you have more room to dodge stuff, but add a block monsters flag to preserve the original behaviour of them walking the stone paths.
You could add 10% damage and keep it pitch black if you want to, although I don't think the water flat and 96 brightness look out of place.
Ultimately do whatever you want as long as it improves movement in the map, but the fact all those impassable flag lines are diagonal makes the movement situation way worse than it already is BTW.
UnblockedForPlayer_blockmonsters.png.6d19df2f33311de7d93f4a8d6878c5b6.png

EDIT, Thought of one more suggestion:
If you remove the two fire torch platforms in the north and just have them flat on the ground like other torches are, you'll have 8 free vertices that you could use to add some pillars to cover behind.
I genuinely think this would make UV Max more possible.

:- Try some other combination of linedef actions, with lowering or raising floors in the monster teleport hub that will result in the monsters not instantly teleporting, because I found that at least the plasma is almost impossible to get to in the new version. You can grab the RL but insta tele monsters means by the time you can start firing, you've already got a few revenant missiles close to you, or HKS about to block you from escaping to get the plasma.

Here's what I came up with, using a G1 switch to raise an extra platform, although this was mainly to get up to the key without using the archvile-activated linedef, which I see is gone now anyway.. But you could still try a similar approach, to nerf the insta teleporting horde somewhat.
g1.png.c00a5a6c35053b538e19bbcd15fb8289.png

All other actions were kept the same there, except i added another W1 crusher, so it's on both linedefs of the platform. One less vile linedef!
w1crush.png.ec9a2258931ff6bada28de6004ec4d69.png

All in all, I do see what you were going for with this map, a hard as balls challenge room. In a dark aesthetically pleasing environment, with emotional NUTS music, at that.. (at least with more vertices, sector lighting, and more texture variety it would be clearer / nicer looking).
It's the kind of map I enjoy ( when they're not unreasonably hard like this one), but, the blocking lines and the insane amount of monsters compared to the limited movement space are the biggest things that let this map down.

Dimensions map01 did the "you're never safe anywhere and you must have great movement skills" thing way better than this map, but I don't think you can entirely blame the limits of the project, because as I just suggested, simply reducing the monster count by say 25% or slightly more (I like hard maps when they're still challenging, but reasonably so), and removing the impassble linedefs (at least in the middle square) would be a very huge improvement!

I hope you can take feedback seriously, I'm not saying you need to be all serious and perfectionist in a community project, but I don't think that it being a community project is a good excuse to not improve the playability of your maps.

Edited by knifeworld : thought of a better 3rd suggestion

38 minutes ago, knifeworld said:

Here's what I came up with, using a G1 switch to raise an extra platform, although this was mainly to get up to the key without using the archvile-activated linedef, which I see is gone now anyway.. But you could still try a similar approach, to nerf the insta teleporting horde somewhat.
g1.png.c00a5a6c35053b538e19bbcd15fb8289.png

I wanted to do this, but i just did not know how to tell the player that you need to shoot the switch. Maybe i could have made a switch and placed a hit scan weapon next to it, i just genuinely did not know how, so i did not bother.

8 minutes ago, %some random internet shkila said:

Wait, what crusher?

it was in V2, looks like it was just a consequence of wanting to crush the shotgunners, but also joining their closet sector with one of the stone paths so that the monsters hear you. It's fixed in later versions anyway.
Untitled.png.aeab99b1739c681cfc572776cc3708f5.png

1 minute ago, knifeworld said:

it was in V2, looks like it was just a consequence of wanting to crush the shotgunners, but also joining their closet sector with one of the stone paths so that the monsters hear you. It's fixed in later versions anyway.
Untitled.png.aeab99b1739c681cfc572776cc3708f5.png

Oof, some fucko with “attention to detail” i am.

11 minutes ago, %some random internet shkila said:

Oof, some fucko with “attention to detail” i am.

I've made worse mistakes a few times, but ye it's gone now so no worries.

Posted (edited)

new update.

Changes:

partial aesthetic overhaul. You are now on a giant lovecraftian creature which is made of stone and brain matter, has wings of water, and constantly gazes at the never ending space all the time.

said aesthetic overhaul was caused by the following change: added a passage in the down part of the map as @knifeworld suggested. Ironically, this brought this map closer to my original visison than previous version, since the layout of the map was supposed to be a reference to the brand of sacrifice from berserk.

because of the above change, the square in the middle is no longer blocking, but, as compensation, the you can now fall into the dark zone, which deals super hellslime damage (but can be climbed out of).

removed 7 revenants, but then the map became way too easy, so i added 2 back. So i removed 5 revenants (or 4, i don't remember precisely).

if, for some reason, this is the wrong version, tell me tomorrow because it's fucking 5am where i am now and i seriously want to sleep.

Good night everyone, but before i go...

I'VE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT

@Pistoolkip AND @knifeworld ARE BITCH ASS MOTHER FUCKERS

THEY DISLIKED MY FUCKING MAP

AND THEY SAID IT WAS "THIS HAAAARD"

AND I SAID "YOU'RE A CASUL"

SO IM MAKING A CALL OUT POST ON MY DOOMWORLD.COM

@Pistoolkip AND @knifeworld YOU GOT A SMALL SKILL

IT'S THE SIZE OF THIS PISTOL EXCEPT WAY SMALLER

AND GUESS WHAT? HERES WHAT MY SKONG LOOKS LIKE

*super shotgun shot sound*

THATS RIGHT BABY, TALL BARRELS, NO TECH, NO BULLDHIT

LOOK AT THAT IT LOOKS LIKE TWO BONGS AND A BALL...

THEY DISSED MY FUCKING MAP, SO GUESS WHAT?

IM GONNA DISS THEM ALL

THAT'S RIGHT, THIS IS WHAT YOU GET

MY SUPER LAZER ROASTS

EXCEPT I'M NOT GOING TO JUST ROAST YOU

IM GONNA GO HIGHER

IM FUCKING YO MOMS

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, AMATEURS,

IM FUCKING YO MOMS YOU DUMS!!!

you have 23 hours before i get adoption papers to become your dad

now get get out of my fucking sight, before i fuck you all too.

Edit:adding in this for anyone seeing this in the future, THE THING ABOVE IS A JOKE, A REFERENCE TO A MEME FOR SA2 FANDUB, , I HAD NO INTENT OF HURTING ANYONE’S FEELING.

IRONLUNGV4.2.zip

Edited by %some random internet shkila : Made things more clear

Posted (edited)

Dude. That’s super uncool and uncalled for. Like…wtf. Idk if that’s a joke or not, but seriously.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, %some random internet shkila said:

new update.

Changes:

partial aesthetic overhaul. You are now on a giant lovecraftian creature which is made of stone and brain matter, has wings of water, and constantly gazes at the never ending space all the time.

said aesthetic overhaul was caused by the following change: added a passage in the down part of the map as @knifeworld suggested. Ironically, this brought this map closer to my original visison than previous version, since the layout of the map was supposed to be a reference to the brand of sacrifice from berserk.

because of the above change, the square in the middle is no longer blocking, but, as compensation, the you can now fall into the dark zone, which deals super hellslime damage (but can be climbed out of).

removed 7 revenants, but then the map became way too easy, so i added 2 back. So i removed 5 revenants (or 4, i don't remember precisely).

if, for some reason, this is the wrong version, tell me tomorrow because it's fucking 5am where i am now and i seriously want to sleep.

Good night everyone, but before i go...

I'VE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT

@Pistoolkip AND @knifeworld ARE BITCH ASS MOTHER FUCKERS

THEY DISLIKED MY FUCKING MAP

AND THEY SAID IT WAS "THIS HAAAARD"

AND I SAID "YOU'RE A CASUL"

SO IM MAKING A CALL OUT POST ON MY DOOMWORLD.COM

@Pistoolkip AND @knifeworld YOU GOT A SMALL SKILL

IT'S THE SIZE OF THIS PISTOL EXCEPT WAY SMALLER

AND GUESS WHAT? HERES WHAT MY SKONG LOOKS LIKE

*super shotgun shot sound*

THATS RIGHT BABY, TALL BARRELS, NO TECH, NO BULLDHIT

LOOK AT THAT IT LOOKS LIKE TWO BONGS AND A BALL...

THEY DISSED MY FUCKING MAP, SO GUESS WHAT?

IM GONNA DISS THEM ALL

THAT'S RIGHT, THIS IS WHAT YOU GET

MY SUPER LAZER ROASTS

EXCEPT I'M NOT GOING TO JUST ROAST YOU

IM GONNA GO HIGHER

IM FUCKING YO MOMS

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, AMATEURS,

IM FUCKING YO MOMS YOU DUMS!!!

now get get out of my fucking sight, before i fuck you all too.

IRONLUNGV4.2.zip

Why are you like this? They are offering you feedback and you're twisting it like they are trying to bully you... I'm not a part of this project but damn, chill out and work together or no one's going to want to work with you in the future.

33 minutes ago, Death Bear said:

Dude. That’s super uncool and uncalled for. Like…wtf. Idk if that’s a joke or not, but seriously.

22 minutes ago, Nefelibeta said:

lol calling knifeworld a causal doesn't seem to be a good idea.

21 minutes ago, Snaxalotl said:

Why are you like this? They are offering you feedback and you're twisting it like they are trying to bully you... I'm not a part of this project but damn, chill out and work together or no one's going to want to work with you in the future.

Before everyone gets bent out of shape, I just need to point out that the guy was just referencing this meme:

I believe this was simply meant in jest.

So, it WAS a joke, I guess? And yet without that context, not sure who would’ve caught that. I’ve seen enough people act like this in earnest. Thanks @Biodegradable

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, %some random internet shkila said:

-snipness cuz fed up of making or quoting long posts

I Lol'd

Spoiler

but yeah better luck for the next attempt at UDB (being serious hope u get better at mapping and stop being so silly!).
Edit: lol nvm checked the map, definitely looks like there's more room. but i gotta sleep it's 4:50 am

Edited by knifeworld

4 hours ago, %some random internet shkila said:

Holy shit I'm crying laughing

Man I was gone for a week and popped back in to see how the CP was going and got eggman pissing on the moon.

I tried out the IRON LUNG map by @%some random internet shkila to see what everyone's been talking about, I tried not to read the author's messages or the other members' replies too much so I wouldn't be too biased when playing through it.

Map 22 was a bit odd, just a mancubus + chaingunner infighting puzzle although I couldn't figure out how to exactly leave the map, but I guess technically killing all three monsters gets the 100% so I just moved onto the other map. I think it was designed alright, although I couldn't find an exit even after shooting almost everything I saw until I ran out of bullets.

Map 26 was a really intense spike in difficulty, so since I can't record my thought process in video I'll do it here. (Spoilered because of length)

Spoiler

First off, I tried it out a couple times trying to fight my way through all the monsters to no avail. Since fighting all the monsters seemed futile I thought it was a puzzle map where you weren't intended to get 100% kills, with the monsters that spawn in being some sort of punishment for not playing by the rules of the puzzle.

After dying multiple times to the monster trap, I tried looking for alternative ways to get out since the difficulty was really high regardless of difficulty setting. At first, I noticed that the monsters only spawn in when you yourself shoot, not counting if the two chaingunners shot at you or not. Since there was a cacodemon relatively close to the edge of spawn I managed to get it to infight with the chaingunners. The platform for the blue key seemed to activate on it's own after picking up the plasma rifle after the cacodemon killed the two chaingunners? I'm still not exactly sure what triggered it, I didn't open the level in an editor.

Since the blue keycard area was blocked by barrels I had to restart the map one more time to get the chaingunners to blow up the barrels covering the keycard area before getting them killed from infighting with the cacodemon, since if I were to blow them up it would trigger the monster trap. I redid the infighting with the cacodemon after getting the barrels out of the way, but couldn't exactly figure out how to trigger the lift to the blue key still. By wandering around the map I managed to get the lift to activate again so I still think it's a hidden linedef in the level somewhere.

After getting the blue key I walked over to the teleporter/switch thing in the corner and it activated the exit which was a small fireblu column in the middle. At least I could actually figure out how to exit this one.

Also, one of the death floor areas are inescapable, despite the one on the opposite side being identical and escapable. Also, why is there a teleporter texture underneath the Blue Key switch? It's not an actual teleporter as far as I could tell.

OVERALL REMARKS: (Also spoilered because of length)

Spoiler

Map22 - Pretty alright albeit bland with almost nonexistant combat. The design sets a tone for the limit since you're limited to 64 linedefs, maybe make the exit a little more obvious from the getgo. Or maybe the lack of exit from a lack of method of blocking it off until the monsters are dead. Regardless, that's all I have to say about that map. Maybe a little too dark.

Map26 - I'm not sure how I should give feedback on this one since I'm not sure if the way I beat it was the "intended route" or not. If I were to beat it through fighting through it all with 100% kills, I would definitely say that the skill levels should be balanced. If you're going to make a trap that is intended to kill the player then maybe do it with a metric ton of lost souls or something, idk

If the way I beat it through the puzzle approach was the "correct" way, then I can kinda see where the puzzle is at, but not all the pieces of the puzzle are definite, since there's still that lift to the blue keycard which I activated by pure chance on both occasions, and I'm also assuming that if it was a puzzle map all of the ammo was a distraction to make one think they should fight all the monsters. The health and armour was probably needed more for staying alive trying to get the chaingunners to infight versus actually beating everything. The puzzle itself is alright-ish I guess

Regardless if it's a puzzle or a slaughter map, please respect the player's time and make it so that people regardless of skill level (to a degree) can complete maps. I understand that your brand of doom may not be for everybody (heck, even puzzles themselves can be a little polarizing in doom, let alone entire puzzle maps) but try to be a bit more inclusive and perhaps a bit more obvious that something is "what it says on the tin" so to speak. I'm not comparing your work to Terry WADs, but if you bait-and-switch people like that I think it's a similar level of disrespect to the player, which is really not ideal since they're taking time out of their day to playtest/play your map (*cough cough* @Pistoolkip and @knifeworld are trying give you genuine feedback for the betterment of the whole Community Project*cough cough*)

Or it could just be monster spam and this "puzzle aspect" I'm thinking of is a bunch of baloney since it's not the intended way. If that's the case, then read the previous paragraph four to five times.

TL;DR:

MAP22: A little bit too easy, but still better than being too hard. Needs a better telegraphed exit (if there is one, because I couldn't find it)

MAP26: Level design is a bit offputting, decent for the first time as a puzzle map but getting 100% is nigh impossible. Needs a couple fixes.

Turns out, referencing a meme without context is an extremely bad idea. In my defense, it was 5 am and i was kinda dumb at the moment.

So i want to profusely apologize if anyone became sad because of what i wrote. I’ll try to be more clear next time i’m doing this that i’m joking.

Retouching Map30 a bit.

Spoiler

image.png.5426e5af2c4cdbb3b20e9e6a298b537d.png

I feel like I have to compromise between looking ugly and looking boring, since I am still wary of the vertices.

I don't want to completely redo Map30 from scratch because I want to focus more of my time into designing Map31, which would itself be its own challenge since I'm designing it around a specific weird shape.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DiR said:

Map 26 was a really intense spike in difficulty, so since I can't record my thought process in video I'll do it here. (Spoilered because of length)

Hide contents

First off, I tried it out a couple times trying to fight my way through all the monsters to no avail. Since fighting all the monsters seemed futile I thought it was a puzzle map where you weren't intended to get 100% kills, with the monsters that spawn in being some sort of punishment for not playing by the rules of the puzzle.

After dying multiple times to the monster trap, I tried looking for alternative ways to get out since the difficulty was really high regardless of difficulty setting. At first, I noticed that the monsters only spawn in when you yourself shoot, not counting if the two chaingunners shot at you or not. Since there was a cacodemon relatively close to the edge of spawn I managed to get it to infight with the chaingunners. The platform for the blue key seemed to activate on it's own after picking up the plasma rifle after the cacodemon killed the two chaingunners? I'm still not exactly sure what triggered it, I didn't open the level in an editor.

Since the blue keycard area was blocked by barrels I had to restart the map one more time to get the chaingunners to blow up the barrels covering the keycard area before getting them killed from infighting with the cacodemon, since if I were to blow them up it would trigger the monster trap. I redid the infighting with the cacodemon after getting the barrels out of the way, but couldn't exactly figure out how to trigger the lift to the blue key still. By wandering around the map I managed to get the lift to activate again so I still think it's a hidden linedef in the level somewhere.

After getting the blue key I walked over to the teleporter/switch thing in the corner and it activated the exit which was a small fireblu column in the middle. At least I could actually figure out how to exit this one.

Also, one of the death floor areas are inescapable, despite the one on the opposite side being identical and escapable. Also, why is there a teleporter texture underneath the Blue Key switch? It's not an actual teleporter as far as I could tell.

Wait, can you send me the video of how you did it?

Basically, to activate the platform, you need to shoot the shootable switch that opens the path to the blue key switch, and then step onto the teleporter platform to actually activate the lift.

So i guess you just had chaingunners shoot it.

Also, i 100% this map on HMP and almost did it on UV before i died with a couple hell knights on the arena, so i dunno if it is impossible.

Just now, %some random internet shkila said:

Basically, to activate the platform, you need to shoot the shootable switch that opens the oath to the blue key switch, and then step onto the teleporter platform to actually activate the lift.

So i guess you just had chaingunners shoot it.

OH, it was the teleporter platform that lowers the lift. I think I may have gotten a chaingunner to accidentally shoot the switch while getting it to infight with the cacodemon. I'm going to try and record a video to show you how I did it (I really thought that it was on purpose)

15 minutes ago, %some random internet shkila said:

Alright, I recorded a scruffy video real quick (I used PrBoom+ on UV) to demonstrate what I did the first time I beat the map, I didn't think you actually had to fight all the monsters. I guess it's not a puzzle map then as I initially thought. https://youtu.be/U6JD1zy7PO0

16 minutes ago, %some random internet shkila said:

Also, i 100% this map on HMP and almost did it on UV before i died with a couple hell knights on the arena, so i dunno if it is impossible.

Can you send a video of it? I don't know the strat for dealing with this monster closet unless there's like a "sweet spot" where projectiles don't hit you or anything since there's little to no maneuverability with the decor and platforms.