Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost-Core

128 Linedefs, 64 Things - A Community Project [1.3.3, finally]

2 hours ago, NaZa said:

It's somewhat saddening to see the OP's maps being the least interesting and blandest. I hope permission will be granted to the current hosts (using the word "host" here for people who currently compile and lead the project, them being Arsinikk and Luleta) to touch them up, or worryingly maybe axe them completely, because frankly - they're both one big hallway and quite a ways below the standard other maps set. Unless Frost-Core touches them up to make them more up to standard, as I've suggested. I want to be somewhat encouraging but the rift between those two maps and most of the others I've played today is relatively wide, sadly. I apologize for my words.

This mirrors a similar sentiment I stated in an earlier post:

Frostcore's maps, without a doubt feel like a mapper's first Doom maps. I'm honestly a bit torn, since I want to encourage new mappers to continue mapping and some of the first doom maps have their charm... But it is clear that the maps he submitted are a bit amatuer in quality, compared to many of the other maps.

I think it's a little harsh to axe them completely, but as Luleta said:

and also honestly i kinda wish he didnt take two slots. kinda wish map7 took advantage of what map7 could be instead of being a linear corridor but my critiques were simply ignored

So while we have tried to give suggestions to Frost-Core to improve his maps, he either seems too busy or unwilling to tweak his maps.

Honestly the thing that I was most concerned bout was the inclusion of the BFG on map04. IMO, this completely breaks the WAD flow and makes the next 5-6 maps not challenging at all in continuous.

1 hour ago, Rancid Sam said:

I'd strongly advise against this. It calls into question the creative integrity of the entire project, and sets an extremely dire precedent.

At worst, Frost-Core's maps are short and bland (and you can't take the lift back down in Mancubus). But they have a sincerity and a naivety that I find endearing—the secrets in both maps made me laugh out loud.

But this defense extends only to the maps themselves, and to their inclusion in the project at this time.

Idk, I feel like you are defending the maps a little too much. While I do kinda like the first map charm, they definitely do not stack up to the rest of the maps in the CP. I think most people are just getting a little frustrated that Frost-Core won't respond to or try to improve his maps.

1 hour ago, gabirupee said:

I agree, running a cp takes determination, responsability and maturity, things the OP doens't seen to have from all the posts he maked on doomworld since 2022, also if he doens't care about feedback that is given on his dogshit maps and prefer to create useless threads about "Taking a break from doom" and coming back 9 days later, then lets continues without him. Damn im hosting a cp and even with mental health problems im managing everthing.

This behavior is unacceptable on my opnion, and sorry if i've been too harsh and dramatic about the currently situation.

While I think your assessment is a bit harsh... I have to agree somewhat. We currently have a bit of a problem that Frost-Core is supposed to be in charge of the OP, but when he is gone, we have no way of updating the title to say the MAP17 is open. Just personally, I find it a bit dismaying to see the project leader say that he wants to take a break from Doom, while also being in charge of 2 CPs which haven't been finished. IMO, I wouldn't have a problem with someone taking a break from Doom, if he didn't have any responsibility with heading his ongoing CPs. I would've waited to take a break once I knew I didn't have any responsibilities.

Edited by Arsinikk

1 hour ago, NaZa said:

I'd definitely at least really like if Frost-Core puts some more work into them to make them less bland (which is what I suggested both in the feedback segment as well as the closing paragraph), as they're quite a ways below the line count on both maps - it's definitely possible.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly—it seems obviously the best outcome to me, at least.

3 minutes ago, Arsinikk said:

Idk, I feel like you defending the maps a little too much. While I do kinda like the first map charm, they definitely do not stack up to the rest of the maps in the CP. I think most people are just getting a little frustrated that Frost-Core won't respond to or try to improve his maps.

I don't feel that way. However, I will agree that it would be frustrating to have good advice ignored. It would also be a shame for the overall quality of the project to slack because of one contributor, but that's a problem for the project lead to sort out.

I will not comment on the project's leadership.

So @NaZa, I played your map! Apologies, I don't really record FDA demos or anything. Honestly I just play maps blind UV and then comment my thoughts.

Anyways, here are my thoughts:

MAP03: ROCK3 and Roll (NaZa)

Spoiler

This is a fun little map that I quite enjoyed. The Cyberdemon that teleports in, I'm afraid got me the first time, mostly cuz I wasn't expecting it. I'm surprised you said the last part wasn't easy... Maybe just because of some of the WADs I've played, this wasn't too difficult of a map for me. I'd say the most boring part might have been having to SSG the cyber to death, but I mean the map is so short, so what can you do?

I think I would move a shotgun box from where the switch is, to in the hole instead. I actually was gonna complain a little on the lack of ammo to deal with the Cyber... lol I ended up using all the shells I had, and then proceeded to use all the bullets with the chaingun. lol I killed the cyber with 2 bullets to spare... That's when I realised, there was a whole other box of shells where the switch was... I should clarify that I killed the Archviles first, and then went down to kill the Cyberdemon.

I'd say that the ending didn't surprise me that much... lol once I saw the pillars raise up, I knew: Archviles. Actually imo the Archviles aren't too dangerous since they are mostly preoccupied in resurrecting the dead monsters. Still good map!

I'd say my only real criticism, is that I don't really like this map in the MAP03 slot. While I didn't find it difficult, most of the first episode maps are quite easy in comparison to this map. I'd suggest either swapping this map with your MAP13 slot, or maybe we could move this map to the MAP17 slot instead, and then have MAP03 open instead of MAP17.

5 hours ago, NaZa said:

Hello. I've just finished my second submission.

Title: ROCK3 and Roll

Author: NaZa

Time spent: 1 hour...

Tested with: Choco Doom, prBoom+ 2.5.1.4., ZDoom 2.8.1

Music: Pacemaker by Tom Mustaine

Difficulties: Not yet implemented. Will implement them for v2.

Misc: Another short map. A map that has less shapeshifts than my previous offering, though it still, admittedly, has some... changes to the terrain. Has a gimmick at the end. That's all there really is to it. It's somewhat more conventional. And yes, I managed to beat it. 2:00 flat. Though the last part isn't easy.

sweet map! ^^

Spoiler

similar to your other map gimmick wise. i love how your maps transform themselves in order to keep an interesting layout and structure.

the archie ambush at the end was clever, loved how u used the corpses at the end and how the pillars raise up in anticipation

here is my epic first demo attempt showcasing how much of an epic gamer im B)

128l03fda.zip

9 minutes ago, Arsinikk said:

I'd say my only real criticism, is that I don't really like this map in the MAP03 slot. While I didn't find it difficult, most of the first episode maps are quite easy in comparison to this map. I'd suggest either swapping this map with your MAP13 slot, or maybe we could move this map to the MAP17 slot instead, and then have MAP03 open instead of MAP17.

idk i think this one was fine for map03, map13 was a lil harder IMO. this is a lil too easy for map17.

Spoiler

i think the cybie is really what makes this one pack a punch. it can be surprising but i don't think it's that out of place. i suposse it can be a lil scary that's all

uhm but it's not like difficulty scales too well on community projects.

i think it could be considered the hardest one of the early maps but i still don't think it's that much of a spike :D

5 minutes ago, Luleta said:

uhm but it's not like difficulty scales too well on community projects.

i think it could be considered the hardest one of the early maps but i still don't think it's that much of a spike :D

I guess the only reason I mentioned it was that I recently played all the maps in order, and I thought there was kind of a good difficulty curve.

You do make a fair point about the difficulty scaling on CPs. Maybe I'd need to try to play thru the first episode continuous to see if I share the same opinion about the difficulty of the map.

Spoiler

I think it really is the Cyberdemon that spikes the difficulty up a bit. I don't think it should be removed or anything, as I think that would remove the charm of the map. Idk, it just seems weird to have this map, and then a few maps later play YMB's Nukage Plaza (which I think is a good map, but waaaay easier than this one).

7 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

I have nothing against that idea. I just figured that maybe all the maps would be sorted by difficulty at the end, but I don't mind this going over to the MAP17 slot at all; maybe it's for the best. In hindsight maybe I should've always had it being MAP03 in mind. The setup looked perfect for a Cybie (it was first gonna be a horde of pinkies, I think) so I let myself be carried away :P but yes MAP17 should work fine for it. Maybe even switch my two maps so the other one is MAP17 while this one is MAP...13? 

Thanks for the feedback, @Arsinikk and @Luleta :) I'll see what I can do to make the last part more... tense, I reckon? The main part is I wanted dicey players to be able to attempt to run through like the AVs don't exist (which isn't exactly easy if they resurrect badly placed monsters), and also make it possible for others to conservatively kill them. I could experiment with them resurrecting chaingunners O_O but we'll see. Glad you enjoyed the map :)

10 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

So while we have tried to give suggestions to Frost-Core to improve his maps, he either seems too busy or unwilling to tweak his maps.

I am going to be a little harsher and say that Frost-Core isn't a project leader. From the sentiments shared here (Not discussing critiques, poor map making with little to improve) and now having to make a post stating he is back after a little over a week of absence tells me the following:

• Frost-Core has no concept of responsibility (yet)
  • Frost-Core is likely a youngster and in the impression that they can bite more than they can chew
  • Frost-Core's progress seems minimal at best, and a possible ruse at worst.

If your mapmaking efforts aren't improved over time and you just keep on making the same kind of map, why would you have the idea that you could run a community project? In my opinion, you only consider those when you are aware of either what your mapping chops are, or you have established yourself as a trustworthy member that could contribute to a project - and deliver.

I don't have the impression that Frost-Core has done either of those.

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:
23 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

I am going to be a little harsher and say that Frost-Core isn't a project leader. From the sentiments shared here (Not discussing critiques, poor map making with little to improve) and now having to make a post stating he is back after a little over a week of absence tells me the following:

• Frost-Core has no concept of responsibility (yet)
  • Frost-Core is likely a youngster and in the impression that they can bite more than they can chew
  • Frost-Core's progress seems minimal at best, and a possible ruse at worst.

If your mapmaking efforts aren't improved over time and you just keep on making the same kind of map, why would you have the idea that you could run a community project? In my opinion, you only consider those when you are aware of either what your mapping chops are, or you have established yourself as a trustworthy member that could contribute to a project - and deliver.

I don't have the impression that Frost-Core has done either of those.

While I can agree to some extent, what is your overall point?

What I mean is what steps should be taken to forward this CP?

So far you have just bashed the project leader on his arguable lack of responsibility, maturity, and map making skill.

While you may correct in some aspects of those points, your calling out of the project leader doesn't bring us any closer when it comes the progress of this CP.

It honestly stands just to fan the flame of drama higher than it currently needs to be.

hello fellow mappers.

project is coming along nicely now, Arsinikk has notified me with issues regarding midis!

• map 14 doesn't have a midi whatsover. @memeboi, do you wish to add a midi to your map within the 64 kbs vanilla limit? i could look for one that fits your map if you wish. i was thinking maybe this midi from Blood since it kinda fits the assylum vibe :D. you don't need to, i feel like there shouldnt be any problem with using the vanilla midi but please let us know what you think.
  • the midi for map30 exceeds the vanilla 64 kbs midi limit causing it to be silent in vanilla.  @RedBoule, would you like to find another midi that meets this requirement? since this project aims to work for vanilla ports. otherwise im afraid we will have to choose one for you.
  • if anyone wants to make an original composition or wants to suggest a midi for the intermission, title or even text intermission midi please submit it, remember NOT TO EXCEED the 64kbs vanilla limit! otherwise ill take the liberties to select midis for that ;3

don't worry you don't need to make an update to ur map just to add the midi, simply link me a midi of your liking if you wish and ill add it for you :D

apologies for the ping but i figured there's no other person more qualified for selecting a midi than the mapper c:

Edited by Luleta

Okey dokey, here's a new update:
128L64T CP (Beta 1.3.3)

I have added music for the Title, Text screen, and Intermission... Let know what you guys think. I thought they seemed to fit quite well.

I have also added that Blood midi to Memeboi's MAP14, which I have to agree with Luleta that I think it fits the map quite well.

Also, MAP03 and MAP16 have been added to the WAD! (@NaZa I take back what I said about MAP03. On continuous it is not bad, since the player has a plasma).

I hold my stance that @Frost-Core should remove the BFG from MAP04, since I think it breaks the continuous balance too much and makes the next few maps way too easy for no reason.

I have done some tweaks to your MAP29 @gabirupee, let me explain why:

Spoiler

1) it seems that the nodebuilder setting you are using is VERY bad for vanilla doom. Running in DSDA Doom on complevel 2, I get this message saying that your map's nodes will break demo compatibility. I have resaved your map using the "ZDBSP - Normal (Zero Reject)" Nodebuilder.

128l64t-map29-nodes.png

2) I have tweaked the exit sign you had, since in Vanilla Doom, it had some Tutti-Frutti (you can see before and after):

128l64t-map29-1.jpg

128l64t-map29-2.jpg

3) I have made minor tweaks to some of the switch textures with the sky as the ceiling. Vanilla Doom has a bug that projectiles will disappear in the walls if the sky is on the ceiling. To fix this, I simply added upper and lower textures to the backside of the linedefs (they aren't visible at all).

4) I like your rebalancing of the map, I think it is more fair, but also keeps you on your toes!

2 hours ago, Luleta said:

if anyone wants to make an original composition for the intermission, title or even text intermission midi please submit it, remember NOT TO EXCEED the 64kbs vanilla limit! otherwise ill take the liberties to select midis for that ;3

it doesn't have to be an original composition... I don't think anyone has done an original composition for this project...

Also, I've already added some tracks, so we'll see if people like them.

6 minutes ago, Arsinikk said:

it doesn't have to be an original composition... I don't think anyone has done an original composition for this project...

Also, I've already added some tracks, so we'll see if people like them.

edited!

4 hours ago, Frost-Core said:

Check the topic everyone :)

Thanks Frost-Core!

finnks13 has now taken the MAP17 slot!!!

Here's an updated map list for the OP:

01 - Rotated Mast Wave Hike by SilverMiner
02 - Lockjaw by gabirupee
03 - ROCK3 and Roll by NaZa
04 - Mancubus by Frost-Core
05 - Stargazer by dotQLL
06 - Nukage Plaza by YMB
07 - Upperhalls by Frost-Core
08 - Unholy Zwiebel 64 by Azuris
09 - Escape by Pegleg
10 - Bogos Anomaly by knifeworld
11 - Circle of Gatekeeping by LGmaire
12 - (WIP) by SilverMiner
13 - A Berserk Surgical Opening by NaZa
14 - Asylum by memeboi
15 - Garden Gunfight by Codename_Delta
16 - Blue Orpheus by YMB
17 - (WIP) by finnks13
18 - Roots by CblBOPOTKA
19 - With All Disrespect by HrnekBezucha
20 - Destroyed Base by knifeworld
21 - Malicious Intent by Arsinikk
22 - Withering Words by Luleta 
23 - (WIP) by Large Cat
24 - Stay With Us, Aniki!! by RancidSam
25 - Hot Computing by Azuris
26 - Untitled1 by LSC Lasico
27 - Ambiviolence by Arsinikk
28 - mappersblock.wad by Paf
29 - Wet Wood by gabirupee
30 - Between Lands by RedBoule
31 - Wild West by NinjaDelphox
32 - Beat Box! by Walter confetti

Edited by Arsinikk : Removed stuff about adding map17 to the CP title.

20 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

While I can agree to some extent, what is your overall point?

I thought it was rather obvious, but rather the following:

• Frost-Core should enact more as a project leader. That means giving status updates, actively participating on level flows and slots, and addressing criticism
  • If not possible, suggest someone else to take over the project that can do the above. In doing so one could recognize the reflection that is now missing

So far you have just bashed the project leader on his arguable lack of responsibility, maturity, and map making skill.

Is it bashing when you make a summary?

While you may correct in some aspects of those points, your calling out of the project leader doesn't bring us any closer when it comes the progress of this CP.

I've criticized the project leader's behavior, both in this thread and outside. You have done the very same thing, so what is different?

I mean, Frost-Core seemingly ignored all the (mostly constructive) calls for more activity we posted, judging by the message they posted above, all while leeching yet another beta from the de facto project leaders, so... and also considering Luleta and Arsinikk are taking care of what's missing at this point and Frost-Core's just copying their lists into the OP... We should be glad the two of them are this enthusiastic about the project. Thanks fellas :D

In interest of this thread and CP I will not continue to talk about this issue after this message, I think it was my fault that it spiraled down a bit.

Edited by NaZa

If Map17 is still open, I'd be up for making a city-themed map for it. I should be able to get it done in the next couple of days.

3 minutes ago, finnks13 said:

If Map17 is still open, I'd be up for making a city-themed map for it. I should be able to get it done in the next couple of days.

Sure! That's fine! Go for it!

Just make sure the map follows the CP rules:

• Must be vanilla compatible
  • No custom wall resources, floor resources and ceiling resources
  • Map can have at most 128 lines. Anything under is fine!
  • Map can have at most 64 things across all difficulties. Anything under is fine!

On 7/10/2022 at 12:19 PM, Redneckerz said:

Frost-Core isn't a project leader.

Told you guys on page 8. I saw this coming from a mile away, but noooooo~, big bad Lautus not have enough forum cred to say anything. We gotta have to trust the forum spammer who builds maps made out of nonsensical square grey rooms with misaligned textures with zero quality control, countless stupid threads , unfinished community projects and even has the balls to write tutorials when he can't even do anything correctly.

24 minutes ago, Lutum Lautus said:

forum cred

Forum cred? What are you talking about?

24 minutes ago, Lutum Lautus said:

big bad Lautus

It's the way you present your argument.

16 minutes ago, Lutum Lautus said:

We gotta have to trust the forum spammer who builds maps made out of nonsensical square grey rooms with misaligned textures with zero quality control, countless stupid threads , unfinished community projects and even has the balls to write tutorials when he can't even do anything correctly.

Why is it that you're so obsessed with them? The majority of your posts here seem to be that of insulting  Frost-core. Why do you care if they fuck up. Look, I get that they messed up badly, but why rub salt into the wound? What's the point? The damage has already been done. Move on.

2 hours ago, Lutum Lautus said:

Told you guys on page 8. I saw this coming from a mile away, but noooooo~, big bad Lautus not have enough forum cred to say anything. We gotta have to trust the forum spammer who builds maps made out of nonsensical square grey rooms with misaligned textures with zero quality control, countless stupid threads , unfinished community projects and even has the balls to write tutorials when he can't even do anything correctly.

Okay, we get it, you’re a smart boi who managed to predict what will happen from a mile away. Congratulation, mate! Here’s your “smort boi” award!

But seriously tho, what is the point of this comment? Yes, we get it, frost core is a bad project leader, yes, when you said that, you were ignored.

Still not a reason to whine like a little bitch and see discrimination against your persona where there is none.

The drama is over now, loleta and araarasinik took over, the project moves on at a steady pace. So i would suggest for you to chill the fuck out and swallow your pride before making unnecessary dum comments.

Alrighty, here's my submission. I did have a bit of a headache when making it, so I apologise if it's a little bit unpolished. It's on the Map17 slot already so the sky worked, and has exactly 128 lines and 64 things. I'm willing to make any changes required but if they're small enough, then feel free to make them yourself.

Title: Business District

Author: finnks13

Mapping Time: about 90 minutes

Ports Tested: chocorenderlimits, dsdadoom v0.24.3

Music: "Starting Out" by stewboy (from Plutonia 2)

Difficulties: Yes, HMP and HNTR have the same amount of monsters, but the composition is fairly distinct.

Misc: It's a vague facsimile of a city. There's a few buildings, along with a few traps to keep you on your toes. I'm able to UV-Max it in 2:20.

Download: 128lines_finnks_v1.zip

A Picture:

Spoiler

image.png.9076f44f686cf70f2362431a8ec0cce3.png

22 minutes ago, finnks13 said:

Alrighty, here's my submission. I did have a bit of a headache when making it, so I apologise if it's a little bit unpolished. It's on the Map17 slot already so the sky worked, and has exactly 128 lines and 64 things. I'm willing to make any changes required but if they're small enough, then feel free to make them yourself.

Difficulties: Yes, HMP and HNTR have the same amount of monsters, but the composition is fairly distinct.

Misc: It's a vague facsimile of a city. There's a few buildings, along with a few traps to keep you on your toes. I'm able to UV-Max it in 2:20.

A Picture:

Hide contents

Unpolished sounds good, i'm sure it will have its charm :D

Will hopefuly test it when i am at home.

27 minutes ago, finnks13 said:

A Picture:

Reveal hidden contents

This was a fun open-combat map very much in the spirit of the city maps from Doom 2. Lots of room to run around and fight enemies from various angles, which is one of my favorite things to do in Doom! Enemies at different vertical levels and lots of sight lines make it dangerous to sit around for too long at the start, which is great. From a pistol start, berserk-punching pinkies is a fun way to kick things off. I did start to get tired of rocketing everything (which was the only viable option), but the player will have many more combat options as part of a full playthrough, so probably not a big deal. (Lost souls + rocket launcher = face explosions!)

The Archvile encounter(s!) felt fair, because the player has plenty of room to maneuver and hide. I will admit that I skipped fighting the last 2 and arachnotron and ran to the exit, but I like to think that I could have taken them on if I wanted to... :)

The soulsphere is placed well in terms of flow. I was worried I'd have to spend the last chunk of the map hiding and sniping, but that gave me the second wind I needed to push through.

No obvious texturing errors that I could see, but I did notice that the starting sector is tagged as secret and therefore automatically picked up on level start - was that intentional?

Overall, lots of fun, and impressive for 90 minutes! Great contribution. :)

1 minute ago, YMB said:

This was a fun open-combat map very much in the spirit of the city maps from Doom 2. Lots of room to run around and fight enemies from various angles, which is one of my favorite things to do in Doom! Enemies at different vertical levels and lots of sight lines make it dangerous to sit around for too long at the start, which is great. From a pistol start, berserk-punching pinkies is a fun way to kick things off. I did start to get tired of rocketing everything (which was the only viable option), but the player will have many more combat options as part of a full playthrough, so probably not a big deal. (Lost souls + rocket launcher = face explosions!)

The Archvile encounter(s!) felt fair, because the player has plenty of room to maneuver and hide. I will admit that I skipped fighting the last 2 and arachnotron and ran to the exit, but I like to think that I could have taken them on if I wanted to... :)

The soulsphere is placed well in terms of flow. I was worried I'd have to spend the last chunk of the map hiding and sniping, but that gave me the second wind I needed to push through.

No obvious texturing errors that I could see, but I did notice that the starting sector is tagged as secret and therefore automatically picked up on level start - was that intentional?

Overall, lots of fun, and impressive for 90 minutes! Great contribution. :)

Thank you for the kind feedback :)

What difficulty were you playing on (so if I need to make difficulty adjustments, I can bear this in mind)? Sounds like HMP, but I might be off.

I understand that rocketing stuff can get a bit tiresome, but I felt the SSG or plasma gun made the combat much less enjoyable so I omitted it.

The starting sector is tagged as a secret so the tally screen displays 100% secrets - I didn't have the lines to add in a proper secret, I normally include them as a bit of an afterthought as I want to ensure that the map is balanced with no secrets.

Cheers for giving the map a playthrough, I really appreciate it.

Just now, finnks13 said:

Thank you for the kind feedback :)

What difficulty were you playing on (so if I need to make difficulty adjustments, I can bear this in mind)? Sounds like HMP, but I might be off.

I understand that rocketing stuff can get a bit tiresome, but I felt the SSG or plasma gun made the combat much less enjoyable so I omitted it.

The starting sector is tagged as a secret so the tally screen displays 100% secrets - I didn't have the lines to add in a proper secret, I normally include them as a bit of an afterthought as I want to ensure that the map is balanced with no secrets.

Cheers for giving the map a playthrough, I really appreciate it.

My first playthrough was on HMP - I just tried it again on UV, and despite knowing what to expect somewhat, I got my ass kicked over and over. This doesn't mean it's too hard - I'm no Doom pro, so I'll let other people take it for a spin to decide how hard it really is. :) (Now I'm worried that my maps are too easy!)

1 minute ago, YMB said:

My first playthrough was on HMP - I just tried it again on UV, and despite knowing what to expect somewhat, I got my ass kicked over and over. This doesn't mean it's too hard - I'm no Doom pro, so I'll let other people take it for a spin to decide how hard it really is. :) (Now I'm worried that my maps are too easy!)

I did have a decent headache when making the map, so I was a bit out of it - there's a reasonable chance the difficulty is wayyyy overtuned for the mapslot :P (and if that's the case, I'm happy to nerf it)

And hey, there's nothing wrong with an easier level of difficulty, it's always very fun to blast through a map!