Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's me again. God, It's been forever since I posted here. I actually forgot I had an account here, until I finally played DOOM again after a few months.

Also, I need to change my avatar. I was trying WAY too hard to look "cool" when really it just looks like a bad sprite edit.

As I said, I've been playing The Ultimate DOOM again, and it's been really fun. I'm using GZDOOM again, because I wanted to try out Brutal Doom..

It's kinda fun, but I have an issue with it.

It may just be a skill issue I have, but I feel like Brutal Doom makes the game way too hard. And I didn't want to switch to an easier difficulty than UV because I felt bad for doing so.

I feel like the monsters deal way too much damage, especially the Shotgunners. This mod has made me develop a hatred for Shotgunners. They're the Chaingunners of The Ultimate DOOM, after all (according to a friend of mine).

But aside from that, I really enjoy it. But I just want to know, why does everyone hate it? Aside from the fact that the creator has gotten into a bit of controversy.

Keep in mind I'm not like those people who say "OOOOH BROOTAL DOOM BEST MOD EVAR!!!", I just happen to really like it. And I know there are other great mods out there too, like Golden Souls or Metadoom.

7 minutes ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

It may just be a skill issue I have, but I feel like Brutal Doom makes the game way too hard.

You could also say it makes the game rather... brutal, hmm? That's the point, mate.

My issue with Brutal Doom is that it turns Doom into yet another hyper-violent Doom clone, which is ouroboristically silly in my bood. 

Just now, Biodegradable said:

You could also say it makes the game rather... brutal, hmm? That's the point, mate.

I should've seen that coming. I think I'll just play normal DOOM on UV from now on. I probably shouldn't have played a mod like Brutal Doom at my skill level, especially since I haven't touched DOOM in months.

UPDATE: Been playing normal DOOM on UV and I'm having a much less annoying run so far. I'm at Toxin Refinery and I've died much less than I did in Brutal Doom.

35 minutes ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

It may just be a skill issue I have, but I feel like Brutal Doom makes the game way too hard. And I didn't want to switch to an easier difficulty than UV because I felt bad for doing so.

I feel like the monsters deal way too much damage, especially the Shotgunners. This mod has made me develop a hatred for Shotgunners. They're the Chaingunners of The Ultimate DOOM, after all (according to a friend of mine).

Ultra violence can be super annoying on uv but you just get used to it after a while and you learn from your mistakes

Just now, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

I've had this experience even with HMP, and also this is the only reason i play Brutal Doom on Power-Fantasy (don't bully me ok?)

48 minutes ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

but I feel like Brutal Doom makes the game way too hard.

Did you try easier difficulties like Power Fantasy? Because I've tried some of them and I didn't really feel like the mod made the game too hard for me.

39 minutes ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

UPDATE: Been playing normal DOOM on UV and I'm having a much less annoying run so far. I'm at Toxin Refinery and I've died much less than I did in Brutal Doom.

Ooh, nice. Have you tried Chocolate Doom? It's closer to how people played Doom back in the '90s.

Ooh, nice. Have you tried Chocolate Doom? It's closer to how people played Doom back in the '90s.

Or, if you want, you can also check out Crispy-Doom, it's like chocolate doom, but lets you play in Widescreen, with an Uncapped framerate, and since it's limit removing, you won't experience crashes while playing :-)

I don't know why exactly people on here hate Brutal Doom. I think it's because it's gotten a lot of mainstream attention. Now that by itself wouldn't have been an issue but with the mainstream attention, came a bunch of dudes declaring that Doom is outdated, bad, shit graphics, unplayable, clunky and what have you and Brutal Doom is the way Doom is "Meant" to be played. It got so bad at one point where people were leaving bad reviews on what would be otherwise good or even great wads for the reason that the author did not balance the wad for Brutal Doom. Some were even asking authors for Brutal Doom compatibility. Though I think people don't do it anymore or do it as much. Anyway that's my theory. If I am wrong about this then I'd like to know the actual reason too.

Why I personally don't like Brutal Doom very much... it's boring. Like if you play it for a while it starts to get really boring and samey. Like if I play it for the first time after a few months, I really enjoy it, even more than regular Doom! But after playing like 3-4 maps it starts getting stale real quick. Vanilla Doom never gets boring and Complex Doom is always a blast (stay away from shit like Clusterfuck or LCA or all the other weird Complex Doom addons though.)

Finally, if you enjoy playing with Brutal Doom, by all means! It is however, a mod at the end of the day and 99% of maps aren't balanced for the changed monster behavior. Also take note that you also do serious damage to enemies in Brutal Doom. So... don't hesitate to employ Cheese strats!

42 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Or, if you want, you can also check out Crispy-Doom, it's like chocolate doom, but lets you play in Widescreen, with an Uncapped framerate, and since it's limit removing, you won't experience crashes while playing :-)

I've mostly been playing GZDoom with the Vanilla Essence mod

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

I've had this experience even with HMP, and also this is the only reason i play Brutal Doom on Power-Fantasy (don't bully me ok?)

Don't feel ashamed, it's completely valid and whoever says otherwise it's WRONG.

55 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

i've personally had issues with getting crispy doom to have the midi soundtrack.

2 hours ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

Irrespective of whether you want to play using Brutal Doom or unmodded, you shouldn't feel bad for playing on an easier difficulty. You will enjoy much more on a difficulty that is on par with you own skill level. Nobody here (unless they are a jerk) would sham you for not playing on the "so-called true difficulty".

With that said, do note that while your weapons do more damage in BD, the enemies are also much more aggressive and deal more damage. So, if the enemies are still annoying on BD, I would recommend to give vanilla (unmodded Doom) a try.

23 minutes ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

i've personally had issues with getting crispy doom to have the midi soundtrack.

Speaking of Midis, did you know that I make music from time to time? Here's an example. The song is playing in the background while I play E2M9 from DOOM: The Way Id Did.

https://streamable.com/69og7t

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Irrespective of whether you want to play using Brutal Doom or unmodded, you shouldn't feel bad for playing on an easier difficulty. You will enjoy much more on a difficulty that is on par with you own skill level. Nobody here (unless they are a jerk) would sham you for not playing on the "so-called true difficulty".

With that said, do note that while your weapons do more damage in BD, the enemies are also much more aggressive and deal more damage. So, if the enemies are still annoying on BD, I would recommend to give vanilla (unmodded Doom) a try.

Okay. Thanks!

1 hour ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

Like, midi playback instead of opl3? Or the Hq music packs that can be used in Chocolate?

Edited by Lol 6 : OLP3, the new pc chip for music playback

9 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Like, midi playback instead of olp3? Or the Hq music packs that can be used in Chocolate?

midi playback

1 minute ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

midi playback

Ah, it's as simple as opening the setup exe, going to sound options and select midi playback, like this

(I'm using Crispy-Heretic but it should be the same for Doom)

image.png.7abebf85d9045e7d16da6a007f656cdf.png

Another stealth Brutal Doom thread. I like it.

@DOOMSLAYER93 you can quote several people in one post instead of making separate posts. Look for the + sign next to quote.

3 hours ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

I wanted to try out Brutal Doom..

It may just be a skill issue I have, but I feel like Brutal Doom makes the game way too hard.

The point of BD is to present a challenge.

Also, if BD is too hard, don't try Okuplok in one go.

3 hours ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

But I just want to know, why does everyone hate it? Aside from the fact that the creator has gotten into a bit of controversy.

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

For the love of Romero lets just stop bringing up years old conversations about that one mod. If you really care, you would know it by giving it a search.

But i feel you rather asked this so you could then say ''Well, aside the fact that the creator got into some bit of controversy'' as some highly original gotcha.

The whole ordeal with Brutal Doom is boring, everybody has moved on from it. If you want to know, look it up. You know the answer already.

Aside from Brutal Doom, I’m still trying to fathom why an entire thread is needed just to say “Hi I’m back”.

26 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Aside from Brutal Doom, I’m still trying to fathom why an entire thread is needed just to say “Hi I’m back”.

Yeah, a status update would have worked wonders.

50 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

23 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

Yeah, a status update would have worked wonders.

If it bothers you, whining won't get you far. Report the post to the moderation team and let them decide if it fits or not, or simply ignore the post.

Welcome back, @DOOMSLAYER93!

I don't believe saying "Yeah, a status update would have worked wonders" constitutes 'whining', but you do you.

What I had said was a perfectly reasonable suggestion, and how the OP should have likely gone about doing things.

I hardly think I need to report this individual to the moderation team for making a harmless thread like this. That seems a bit beyond the pale. :)