Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Elon Musk buys Twitter

The divisiveness exploitation is the fault of mainstream media companies as well, for example CNN and OAN being sister companies under ATT shows that traditional media is more than happy to utilize social media for rage bait by playing both sides and becoming click-driven.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

You think it's hard for LGBT folks to exist on social media now?

This has to be one of the most absurd statements in this thread. I would argue that this is the easiest time in the history of social media for LGBT folks to exist.

EDIT: If you need to experiment, make a Twitter account, post something like "gender is immutable", and see what happens.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

It's an absolutely braindead idea. Nationalizing Facebook into Fedbook isn't fixing anything, you're just picking a different person to ban you.

Same posion, different bottle. Anyone ever feel like the world is changing at an insane rate and there's nothing to can do to stop it?

27 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

It's an absolutely braindead idea.

No, I think it is a good idea. The problem is that, as you correctly point out, the United States - or at the very least its political system - kind of just suck.

5 minutes ago, kwc said:

I thought this was about twitter

Culture war bullshit is extremely twitter. Also everything Doomkid said is %100 correct.

5 minutes ago, Captain red pants said:

Culture war bullshit is extremely twitter.

Apparently it's extremely Doomworld as well.

2 minutes ago, DannyMan said:

Anyways, what will happen to twitter now?

I don't know, that's the fun part. Who were the previous owners? A Saudi prince, Blackrock group, Vanguard group, etc... It was going no where, fast.

1 hour ago, insertwackynamehere said:

the asymmetry of disinformation sock puppets to people acting in good faith, and I think that might be the most interesting problem which I hope gets tackled. [...] But I really hope this is what Musk has in mind as well, and since I don’t think he can make Twitter any worse, I’m tentatively excited to see.

Musk has said he wants to "authenticate / verify real humans to cut down on spam" several times so I think that is one of the main things he's focusing on

5 minutes ago, RDETalus said:

Who were the previous owners? A Saudi prince, Blackrock group, Vanguard group, etc...

I'd pick the Saudi prince again anyday over an elongated muskrat.

33 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Seems like some serious sample bias.

Personally, in the comment sections of political videos/articles (but sometimes even largely apolitical ones) there’s always people equating all forms of “gayness” with goddamn pedophilia (completely unrelated due to the concept of “age of consent”, but that doesn’t stop ignorant dupes), and there’s just a general fuckton of “damn non-straights are ruining society”-type bullshit to be found on the net in the current era.

I see people crying in Star Trek videos ffs, about how the fall of media and society is all due to “those transgender types”, Way more on average than I ever used to see, because the anti-gay types were content back when gays were openly treated as second-class citizens. Now that there’s significant progress towards equality, the beergut redneck morons online who hate “da gayz” are louder and more assholish than ever before. (It’s weird how they think 0.5% of the population, a bracket that averages a lower income than other brackets and is targeted in hate crimes above average, somehow has so much influence over society..)

If the “obvious” presence of gay/trans people has roughly tripled in the last decade, the presence of hateful vitriolic shit directed towards them has easily quadrupled or more. In 2021, hate crimes against transgender people were up, I’d wager in no small part due to the massive influx of anti-gay/trans propaganda happening on the net this very moment.

There’s whole districts in the US trying to ban transgender students from any extracurricular activity that might be physical in nature.. Districts that only have 3 or 4 trans students. The local governments are using tons of money, time and effort to bully tiny handfuls of teenage students because they’re transgender. To me that says the outrage over the existence of trans people is at a comically-exaggerated peak, and frankly it shows no signs of slowing down.

The fact that admitting “hey, I don’t hate trans people” is more common online nowadays than it was in the 00s only scratches the outermost superficial layer of this topic. A significant number of people have had their hate emboldened tenfold in the wake of preliminary transgender acceptance online, so I can see how now is as hard a time as any to be publicly non-straight. I personally am straight as a ruler, but you bet your ass I’d be hiding that shit if I wasn’t.

I wouldn't conflate "easiest time to be LGBT on social media" with "an easy life", nor was that my intent. Sure, hate's online, always has been online, and always will be online, but do you think that anywhere near the level of support would have been there for someone posting about their LGBT (espeically T) identity 10-15 years ago?

bait thread alert

guaranteed replies! op and all responders to this thread should use rss feeds for the next year until they are responsible enough not to get mad at a blurb 

Edited by shark man

1 hour ago, shark man said:

op and all responders to this thread should use rss feeds for the next year until they are responsible enough not to get mad at a blurb 

Besides the derails, I've yet to see anyone legitimately angry about the subject here. So far the spectrum of posts has ranged from people saying, "lol I don't care" to mild curiosity/speculation about what might happen now that Muskrat's in charge.

27 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Besides the derails, I've yet to see anyone legitimately angry about the subject here. So far the spectrum of posts has ranged from people saying, "lol I don't care" to mild curiosity/speculation about what might happen now that Muskrat's in charge.

this topic was made for arguments so op can have his thread on top for that one bit of dopamine for a while

and at what cost? every moment of life is sacred and all the bait threads are wasting it making people mad

Spoiler

one

Personally, in the comment sections of political videos/articles (but sometimes even largely apolitical ones) there’s always people equating all forms of “gayness” with goddamn pedophilia (completely unrelated due to the concept of “age of consent”, but that doesn’t stop ignorant dupes), and there’s just a general fuckton of “damn non-straights are ruining society”-type bullshit to be found on the net in the current era.

two

You can go to your town centre with a microphone and speak your mind. That is a platform. I walk past people like that every goddamn day (mainly God Squad types)

three

but I think it's VERY bad that so much power is in the hands of so few. Most news and modern ways we communicate with each other are controlled by a few billionaires. The Washington Post is owned by Bezos, FB and Instagram by Zuckerberg, Twitter by Musk, FOX News and WSJ by Murdoch, etc. etc.

must I go on? this post may sound in a bad tone but its not supposed to be what im trying to display here is how wastefull you are all being if you find yourself reading this post from wherever you are in the world exit doomworld/all your other social media and do something productive you will enjoy yourself more   :3

7 minutes ago, shark man said:

lots of crap

imagine wanting to trade off having an informed opinion with being happy id rather have the first option because its the smart option

You guys would have had your minds blown by old Doomworld, heh. There was a section dedicated to political debates with the forum description being “Flame on!”. The only reason this stuff is more rare now is because the entire non-Doomworld internet got 999999x more political over the last decade, so it wasn’t really necessary to have it on a gaming forum.

The fact that a “really average and unremarkable for modern times” political thread shows up once in a while is not the end of the world though, lol.

If it gets to the point where people are just flat out e-yelling at eachother then sure, it’ll get locked. Other than some opinionated posting I’ve yet to see that though, hopefully it stays that way. If not, wgaf really.

25 minutes ago, shark man said:

how wastefull you are all being if you find yourself reading this post from wherever you are in the world exit doomworld/all your other social media and do something productive you will enjoy yourself more

I like talking to people and learning things, that's productive isn't it?

22 minutes ago, shark man said:

this topic was made for arguments so op can have his thread on top for that one bit of dopamine

That's rather presumptuous of you, don't you think? Perhaps @Cacodemon345 genuinely finds the topic interesting and wanted to know what other people thought and create some discussion about it. After all, besides political blowhards on Twitter itself being ridiculous about it, it is an interesting topic.

24 minutes ago, shark man said:

what im trying to display here is how wastefull you are all being if you find yourself reading this post from wherever you are in the world exit doomworld/all your other social media and do something productive you will enjoy yourself more   :3

With all due respect, unless you've got anything actually interesting to say could you take your smart-arse, "go touch some grass guys!" attitude elsewhere? It's fucking boring, mate.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

With all due respect, unless you've got anything actually interesting to say could you take your smart-arse, "go touch some grass guys!" attitude elsewhere? It's fucking boring, mate.

I didn't interpret his posts that way at all.

After all, why would a shark be telling us to go touch some grass? 🤔

18 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

After all, why would a shark be telling us to go touch some grass? 🤔

Aha you know what, I might be mistaken. Perhaps he meant a different type of grass.

Spoiler

OI7tCga.png

People like to spend time and energy making sure everyone knows how little they care. They will argue with other people who don't care over who is more above it all.

I really don't see the issue here.  Elon made an offer, naturally they were under no pressure to accept it, but let's be sensible here.  Who here wouldn't turn down a potential few hundred million dollar paycheck if your board seat was paid off?  I'd take it.

Regardless of your view of him, he has largely earned his money himself.  I don't see the hate being directed sensibly here, except it is just 'another billionaire buying something'.  Well, that is the point, when you get to that point, you don't 'work for money' but you work for investments..  money is merely a tool for freedom, not to be used as a means of living, he has lines of credit for that as anyone who is relatively wealthy will also have, why risk your own money when you can risk someone else's instead.

Overall, he is someone who enjoys speaking their mind without regard to 'offending' someone.  I can respect that.

Always with the "holier-than-thou, laughing at the peons from the wings" attitudes in these threads, lol. You know you can ignore the thread, right? There's no one forcing you to open a Doomworld thread, unless you've got Mordeth holding a gun to your head or something.

Moderate news flash for people who are surprised at the different avenues of conversation in this thread: Nothing exists in a vacuum. Twitter's "safety" algorithms in regards to suspending/banning for violations are more like a shotgun than a precision rifle, you're equally as likely to get your permissions revoked by hitting enough of the hidden Bad Posts triggers in a genuine post talking about your experiences as you are posting thinly-veiled hate speech. It is not asinine or unrelated to express concern over what exactly Musk's ideal of "free speech" would mean for minorities who use it.

Edited by Maribo : a word

On 4/25/2022 at 7:46 PM, Doomkid said:

Seeing even more people than usual simping endlessly for both Musk and Twitter - two inanimate, unfeeling objects that absolutely don't deserve to be simped for - is pretty irritating, but admittedly unsurprising.

Seeing behavior like this on a near-constant basis is usually one of my top reasons for being an introvert.

Elon Musk said after buying Twitter that he was ready to buy the Coca-Cola company in order to "return cocaine into it." The composition of the syrup for the famous soda in the 19th century included an extract of coca leaves, which contained an alkaloid related to cocaine.