Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Metal_Slayer

So, Snapmap isn't bad anymore?

When Snapmap launched it was very underwhelming compared to real custom maps support, maps either looked like they were just a level from the main campaign or they used a poor custom geo that looked like one of those Minecraft knock-offs, there were some good maps, but you needed to find them first because the algorithm rarely recommended them. It got better with the updates, but it still felt like it lacked something, at that point the only thing that made it worth playing were the multiplayer with co-op modes and true Doom style arena deathmatch different from the actual multiplayer that was more like Halo 4. From 2018 to nowadays it seems like things are getting better, custom geo doesn't look all blocky now and things got a lot more interesting when people started trying to adapt mechanics from Doom Eternal into it, and most things like the dash, blood punch, monkey bars, punchable walls and climbing actually work really well. But what really is going to be the next step for Snapmap is a mod tool called Snaphak, with that, it is possible to use props that aren't possible to place with the normal editor, it can add the Summoners from the main campaign, make changes to the enemies, add bots, and make objects move on any way, so custom doors, crushers, platforms and many other things are now possible, and all of that works with unmodded versions of the game.
Edit: Forgot to mention some good Snapmaps as example, FNSG posts some of the best ones on this forum, as for the examples of what Snaphak can do, here are some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ssbbfan21656/search?query=snaphak

Edited by Metal_Slayer

I’ve been noticing more of these interesting snapmaps popping up, it’s very encouraging and I’ll have to start giving them a try myself sometime soon here.

I've got a soft spot for snapmap. Haven't spent much time with it though. It's nice to know that it continues to develop and has a community.

At the start there was a 2 weapon limit, the generic DooM techbase was the only theme, it didn't even had a Hell theme, and it had no custom geo, plus most of the maps were just small proof of concept things like making music from samples, farming simulation and stuff.

I heard a map with the ID of "SULUNCTG" has lots of extra content to increase SnapMap's potential such as new assets and more weapons.

At least it's what Professional_Can7287 said on Reddit but it seems with hacking/modding, people found ways to extend SnapMap.

I've also seen channels like AFHS-Gameplay and TerraTela to see modded content in SnapMap.

It's the kind of things that i wish id Software tried to implement but fans doing cool stuff that you wish happened is common in Doom.

snap map is probably one of the weirdest yet most interesting pieces of side content for doom. maybe it might gain a cult following for what can be achieved with it

I really liked snapmap (the later versions). It can do most things to make a decent map via PC or Console but it lacks custom content and some features needed to be expanded upon.

To me it's just one to two major updates away to being perfect.

I agree.  I had a good go at SnapMap in 2016-17, but as is typical of my mapping so far, I only got two maps released.  My first one involved mainly stock rooms and didn't generate much interest, but my custom geometry remake of E1M1 proved quite popular.  Judging by Steam's play time counter I probably spent close to 100 hours in total on SnapMap.

I remember my main problem with it after the final update was that AI pathing is very buggy with custom geo and only really works if you confine the combat to ground level.  I would also have liked to be able to implement custom music without having to resort to elaborate and hacky setups.  Without those limitations I might well have stuck with SnapMap for much longer.

Edited by ENEMY!!!

I think that there are some things that are holding Snapmap back from being as popular as other custom mapping games, first of all most mappers just use closed Discord servers to communicate instead of a forum like this one. Second the requirements for Doom Snapmap are much higher than the ones for Doom II, Quake or even Doom 3, the game size is around 60GB, loading times are awful, on Playstation and Xbox you need to pay for Online to play it, and it isn't available on the Nintendo Switch.

On 12/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, Metal_Slayer said:

first of all most mappers just use closed Discord servers to communicate instead of a forum like this one.

Main reason I prefer Discord is that the live chat aspect to it means I can more immediately address people's technical questions as they come up. It also feels less social and active to talk back and forth through delayed responses like a forum setting does, which is also why I don't really do much on the SnapMap subreddit that I also am an admin for. It's just a glorified billboard to direct people to the more active and maintained Discord server at this point. And as far as I know, there's just the one remaining SnapMap-focused discord server that I run, not really scattered across multiple different places.

Edited by TerraTela

On 12/20/2022 at 6:27 PM, Chezza said:

I really liked snapmap (the later versions). It can do most things to make a decent map via PC or Console but it lacks custom content and some features needed to be expanded upon.

To me it's just one to two major updates away to being perfect.

SnapHak (a pc snapmap modding tool, that also makes content that works on consoles) is basically exactly that. It's super powerful and makes what is shown here possible. Movers, 24 demon limit, tons of other stuff.

Look at all of you PC players with your fancy “Snaphak”. How the hell am I meant to do cool shit with a PS4?

The people on the Discord server can do almost anything for you for free if you give them detailed instructions and the basic layout of a map.

On 5/2/2022 at 12:19 PM, MemeMind said:

This implies it was bad to start. 

It was always awesome.

Solid cap - the idea of this "memory" limit only makes microscopic levels and since I play on XBox, I need xbox live in order to fricking publish my levels. I was just making this super cool level one day, like "hey, why don't I design a level where an elevator breaks and hell takes over the lower levels of the UAC base, so doomguy has to travel back in time through a portal to 1993, and can either go through a baron of hell arena or take a secret lift to get back to the present, and return up to the main level." Then, as I started building the present (and my map was still small) it wouldn't let me place any more rooms, and I didn't play doom 2016 for a few years.

Snap map was bad? Huh weird. I thought that since it was so cool today it would’ve been so cool back then. But I guess I was wrong.

On 3/13/2024 at 8:54 PM, DiceByte said:

Snap map was bad? Huh weird. I thought that since it was so cool today it would’ve been so cool back then. But I guess I was wrong.

Well of course, any of doom games from today would have been cool back then. Unless you are referring to 2016-2021, because I didn't play that game then