Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Borpo The Wizard

What're Your Favorite 90's Wads?

I watched Doomkid's "7 Classic DOOM Mods from the 1990s!" videos and I'd like to see more history from that era.

I also want some inspiration for a Wad I'm making lol.

Simple, anything you find; bad or good.

Favorite: Hell Revealed

Least Favorite: Hell Revealed

Jokes aside, Memento Mori 2 and Requiem are pretty solid, as is MM1. Demonfear, Operation Biowar, and Revolution! are my absolute favorites of the decade. Very modern feeling and very well done.

In specific order of cool factor =P

Mars War from 1998 ( This one stands the test of time The BEST imho, a real underdog. The Development backstory of this WAD is one of the funniest things in PWAD history)

Hell2pay from 1995( This one did so many firsts that I just cant help but Marvel at it despite how goofy it is)

Herian2 from 2001 release (counts cuz the original was made in 99)

Eternal Doom I think was 1997

ICARUS--- 1996 ( THis one is freaking cool for its age)

Phobos.wad

These I found fairly decent

RRWARD02 (E1M1)

CRUSADES (E4)

REQUIEM

PLUTONIA

EVILUTION

GOTHIC DM & Gothic DeathMatch II (Looks fun, I've never had a chance to play deathmatch though)

Plutonia and TVR come to mind. Icarus doesn't have a high ceiling but is mostly a breezy play through. Requiem and Memento Mori I remember not aging great in terms of gameplay with Requiem in particular largely involved super shotgunning monsters directly in front of you. Hell Revealed was just not to my taste.

Plutonia.

But if I exclude the iwads, then I would say it has to be the The Darkening E1 and E2 (especially E2, as that feels very modern and polished for its time)

Memento Mori 2, Dystopia 3, STRAIN, Hell Revealed, Perdition's Gate, the Inferno series.

My favourites :

- George Fiffy's Reol Tough series : A compilation of abstract, rudimentary looking but ultra fun slaughtermaps from 1994.

- Hell Revealed : One of the first megawads I have ever played. I like the tough gameplay but also the oniric atmosphere thanks to the custom skies (especially the episode 3)

- Inferno by Christopher Lutz : One of the best Hell-themed episodes ever made.

- Mars War by Nathan Lineback : Even if I discovered this wad late (2012), I always feel nostalgic while listening to module tracks

Wasteland: Mountain of Fire by Alberto Barsella : Impressive landscapes for the 1994 era

- Slugfest by Shamus Young : This wad brings together all the tropes of the 1990s in the most charming way.

- Dystopia 3 + Requiem : Because vanilla mapping tricks rule.

The list isn't exhaustive.

DemoniZed, STRAIN, Hidden Mountain Factory (I forgot if that one is 90’s), AODDoom, Obituary.

To be honest. As much trash as there was in the 90’s there’s also a lot that if released today could probably still get a caco

love Serenity, Eternity, Infinity

The Lost Episodes of Doom

Aliens TC

#1kill

END1

tree3

Invade1 and 2

Eternal Doom

Enigma

(some of) The Master Levels

ODESSAxx and such things

i think a lot of early doom 2 content is really hard to like, lots of MODWALL sickness

plus it's the rise of BADASS LEVELS with hard rock midis and I drift further from that aesthetic every time I boot doom up

Single maps:

Area 51

Hoover

Hellrun (for Doom2)

DoomCity

Bermuda

Episodes:

Cleimos

Osiris TC

The Far Side of Phobos

Phobos by Roger Ritenour (for Doom2)

BIOWAR (boringly easy without mods, but still charming)

This is the slightly lesser-known stuff, Memento Mori for cooperative and Dwango5/Dwango6 for deathmatch were staples of mutliplayer Doom when I joined the community, so I built a very strong affinity for them - but everyone knows about those!

STRAIN, Icarus, and Requiem are my faves. I'm a sucker for old vanilla WADs that try something new.

I haven't really played that many, to be perfectly honest. Memento Mori 1 and 2, Eternal doo, Alpha 1 trilogy and Operation: Biowar along with Jagermorder 1 are obviously good, but one map from '99 or som I really liked was Area 666. A cool sort of slaughter-lite thingy with some Doomcute, it's not without some rather rough edges, but I really liked it.

Hello there Here’s my 90s fave wads 

SINGLE PLAYER

Schoold2

Tnt (Final Doom)

Sjc (St John’s college) Excellent!

Koulu & Koulugfx (School)

Hsfc

Campe

Doomcity

Trinity (Doom)

Island

Calgonfx (please play it. Excellent music from Stargate)

Xeno11 (Doom)

School (by Scott Ashley for Doom)

DEATHMATCH

Houses v1.0 -> Houses14. 

Dwango Wads 1-12 ! Inc Lbdwango & Azdwango 

D2citb14, D2ccth10 & D2chnf10

@Doomlover77  

Plutonia is the megawad I feel aged best, although it gets help from the midi pack, which was not until 2013. But I'm not sure what I'd put at the top of the list for non iwad megawads. The Chord series is still pretty good maps, and tough, especially NG/G/3. Good enough by 90s standards that I'll spotlight it. Richard Wiles' Dickie series is pretty decent and his later Crusades is a nice challenging UD episode (but I recommend **against** pistol starts in Crusades). Then Wiles also made a decent pair of Plutonia maps. Chris Lutz' Inferno is visually gifted. I will also add Odyssey (odyssey2.zip), Infected Area, and Insertion; they are oft-namedropped. At the moment...not feeling any single levels that aren't part of a series jump off the page at me, and especially not ones still unmentioned.

Edited by FrancisT218

Plutonia and MM2 on the top, then Requiem, STRAIN, Eternal Doom (on an influential level), Hoover Dam, Castle of Evil, Dawn of the Dead... there may be more but those first came to mind