Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost-Core

Episode 1 is the best DOOM Episode : CHANGE MY MIND!

Is Episode 1 Absolutely Epic?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Is it?

• Yes!
    • No i like the other episodes more.

The fact that episode 1 has almost half the votes against the other three episodes is pretty unexpected. I personally like the hell levels more than tech bases, but episode 1 is great too

I try to be a generally pretty chill person, but there is few things that make me involuntarily grit my teeth in at least minor anger than someone saying "Change my mind". Bonus points if you put it in all caps. It is an infantile statement that makes you look like you are hoping to start an argument rather than having a sensible discussion. I have zero interest in changing your mind. I could not possibly care less. When it comes to something as subjective as art, there is no right or wrong answer. Even something objectively bad can be entertaining as hell to the person with the right mindset. Everyone has the right to like what creative works they want to like so long as it's not something that's hurting or exploiting someone.

This poll would be more effective if you had options for each specific episode, rather than shareware vs. the other three. It's a disservice to those who favor E2, E3, or E4 specifically, but not two or all three of them.

I think it's great that we have more replacements for episodes beyond the first these days. That's a sign of greater appreciation for the full Ultimate Doom experience, rather than just the shareware maps as usual. Sandy Petersen the mapper's rehabilitation in these circles has had a big impact, that's for sure. It's at the point where I can't easily choose a "best" set of maps here, as they all succeed at their design goals (usually with a disappointing map or two making the others shine) and it really comes down to which play style, difficulty, & aesthetics you prefer. For instance, I love the messed-up hellbase stylings of E2, but would prefer the elegance & "real place" feel of E1, while E3 and E4 both up the ante with tougher traps & more oppressive atmosphere.

Personally, I'd rather look at & discuss the evolution of Doom episode replacements over time, showing how community members have come to understand the original maps' construction/philosophies and how best to iterate on them. DTWiD happened for a reason, after all.

As a plasmaholic I am inclined to disagree.

Episodes 2, 3 + 4 all have the plasma rifle and I need my fix.

Serious not though: I personally prefer Episode 3 as there's a lot of fun level designs in that Episode. Granted, it does have some flaws (I'M LOOKING AT YOU E3M7)

but it has some really memeorable tracks like "Untitled", "Donna to the rescue" and "Deep In The Code".

I do think episode 1 is probably the best one considering consistent quality. I don't really like 2 much. I think 3 is underrated and I quite strongly like some of those maps, and even the ones that get a lot of hate I don't really mind. Episode 4 has the best two levels in the game imo (Perfect Hatred and Against Thee Wickedly) 

Doom the Way Id Did did a far better take on episode 2 imo. 

8 hours ago, OniriA said:

Nothing beats E2M2. 

As the creator of 32x Delta...For saying that you are now on my hitlist. (Well, technically it's true, nothing beats the hell me and @TheLesha had to go through to port that map. Harder than all of SIGIL to port. Whew.)

Seriously though, I kinda agree that E1 is pretty good, but I can't say if it's the best. E2 has some really good levels as well though, and I absolutely love the shit out of House of Pain. E4 also has good levels, albeit it is much harder so I don't consider it my favorite episode. (Although, E4M9 is pretty sweet...)

If we are throwing SIGIL into the mix though, that's pretty fun as well so I can't really say what's my favorite. Probably either E1 or E2 to be honest, or even SIGIL if we include that.

Episode 2 and 3's more experimental levels and episode 4's more difficult levels are far more interesting and engaging than most of episode 1. Plus, after playing it so many times it gets extremely boring.

It's made to be the 'best' because of the shareware phenomenon, after all, who would want to play episode two as their first experience? That being said, if anything, episode one is overrated for shallow, surface-level reasons. Muh consistency, screw that! Chaos of episode two to four all the way!

With that out of the way, I doubt anyone will change your mind unless you want to have someone go into massive detail about why episode one isn't as good as most people say it is.

Dude, I've literally been sitting here typing up different drafts explaining the appeal of Episode 2 in terms of level design and visual style, and I can't sell it just on a single post.

The best way I'd explain it is that it's spooky primitive design type stuff. I mean honestly, I just assumed hell was volcanoes and bad angels with horns, but it looks to be a lot more twisted than that. All thanks to less pretty architectural design from the decision of putting gameplay first before looks. Both contributing to the episode's atmosphere.

E1 just isn't fun for me anymore. It's not that it was poorly designed, far from it, but it's so pathetically easy that even playing it on Nightmare! doesn't give me my kicks. I want to suffer, man!

I think Episode 2 is the best of the 4. Here's why

• Interesting variety of levels
  • The crate maze in E2M2
  • Cacos
  • More Barons
  • Plasma Rifle
  • BFG (in the Atari Jaguar version)
  • Interesting blend of techbase and hell textures
  • Crushers
  • The music
  • The Cyberdemon

Tbh I know I've stated my point already but Doom 1's individual episodes boil down to: Episode 1: Fun but too easy.

Episode 2: A bit messy but my cup of tea.

Episode 3: Messier than Episode 2 but still quite fun, not visually however.

Episode 4: Either really difficult or really boring.

Yes.

The biggest reason is level design. E1M2 and E1M3 might as well be the best designed levels released officially. E1M3 is my favorite DOOM level for sure.

No contest, really. Unlike the other episodes or Doom 2, the thematic consistency really pays off here.

While some of E2's and E3's levels are better as standalone maps, the entire episodes feel like an incoherent mishmash. They are still better than Doom 2 which didn't even manage to convey the theme it was set out to do.

Pretty much this.  E1 had a beautiful level of consistency here, if only they could have cloned Romero to do them all.

Episode 2 isn't bad at all and I'd say it is the best out of the 3 (or 4 if you count UD as canonical :P).

Let's not talk about Doom 2, it failed in its theme (as Graf said) and every map looks like a Gene Bird map (sorry Sandy).

It’s weird (to me, that is) to put thematic consistency over gameplay, but it’s a really common opinion, so I think I’m in the minority. 

Doom is an inherently fun concept, but holy shit the first game is soooo boooorrrroiiing combat-wise - I feel like “after years of playing Doom2 and sweet wads, play Doom1 without falling asleep” should be one of those impossible Doom challenges or something. Shotgunning a lone imp in a drab hallway just ain’t that thrilling anymore.

At least Doom2 gave lots of baddies to shoot in every level, with interesting attack patterns that are still fun to avoid all these years later. Not to mention the SSG!

As far as which D1 episode is the most fun - probably E4 nowadays, but every episode has some really nicely designed maps, and some boring ones.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:06 AM, Kute said:

E4 is the best because of the first 2 maps.

Doom 1 is IMO probably the greatest game of all-time, but Doom 2 is much more entertaining, even if the maps can be incoherent at points.

Well stated!

Im being a little hyperbolic, I don’t think Doom 1 is

actually boring. It’s a classic. Only “boring” compared to Doom 2!

Actually episode 1 is really nostalgic and iconic for me, I love e1m1 and e1m2, those are the best. My less favorite is episode 3 inferno because of the weird maze and more I dont like it really..

I agree, nothing beats E1M7. 

That being said E2 is a very close in my opinion in terms of quality.

E3 is trash except E3M3 and E3M4 and E4 is uh, E4 is E4

About only half of E1 is actually interesting to return to on its own merits - E1M4-E1M7.  E1M1 is too rote and too slowly paced, E1M2 and E1M3 are kind of rote that are made interesting only by the amount of optional content, E1M8 is just an arena that was outdone by E1M8B, and E1M9 is kind of filler.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:19 AM, nue said:

I agree, nothing beats E1M7. 

That being said E2 is a very close in my opinion in terms of quality.

E3 is trash except E3M3 and E3M4 and E4 is uh, E4 is E4

E3M7 sucks.

2 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

E3M7 sucks.

yes, thats why i said the only good maps in E3 are E3M3 and E3M4

2 hours ago, Frost-Core said:

E3M7 sucks.

I think E3M7 looks pretty good (It's the best looking in E3 in my opinion), but yeah it's blood tunnel maze and teleport maze make it annoying.  I can never remember exactly where each teleporter leads.

You are on a dogmatic position therefore it's impossible to convince you to agree upon a different argument that challenges your view of Knee Deep in the Dead as the best episode of Doom.

How many actually likes Episode 1 for its merits and isn't driven mostly by nostalgia because it was the shareware episode therefore their first experience with Doom? I bet that if Episode 2 was the shareware then many of the same people which praise KDITD would have fallen in love with TSOH instead and would've seen its merits a lot more, in contrast to how it seems right now, as a step down in comparison to KDITD.

Edited by Solmyr

Level- and aesthetically design wise, I would go for Episode 1. Somehow I don't think that E1M1 would've become THIS iconic if was based on Episode 2 and/or 3's aesthetics . . .

Meh, I prefer actual gameplay over visual flare. At this point, people are either partisans or annoying centrists when it comes down to EP1, and in this case, I'm tired of it. Used to like it, hate it now because of how much I've played D1. I'm not gonna change your mind, you've already made your personal opinion the objective truth in your self-narrative. But I just wanted to get my opinion on your zealot-post about EP1.