Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2022 - MEMENTO MORON (On IdGames!)

Title - Yet Another Day in Hell

Midi - "Eerie" from the game "Fire Fight", composed by Janusz Pelc and Michael Doniec

Inspiration came from the gameplay and atmosphere of AV29, one encounter in HR13, and parts of HR29. I tried to stay as close to limit-removing as I could, but I can't live without sky transfers.

Difficulty settings and coop are implemented, not sure how coop is though since its untested. I'd also like to get some people to test it on lower settings since I'm a bad judge for that sort of thing.

Tested in DSDA-Doom.

Download

3 hours ago, NoReason said:

I'd also like to get some people to test it on lower settings since I'm a bad judge for that sort of thing.

I had a quick look at the map and it seems fine on ITYTD until the room with the BFG. I'd recommend to remove one of the cyberdemons and one arachnotron on easy as the megasphere only helps so far when you catch two rockets and a few plasma bolts :)

author: gabirupee
title: Pinho Sol
midi: "The hall of colossia" from secret of evermore
build time: 10 days
difficulties: implemented
multiplayer: only coop (not tested)
tested: nugget doom, woof, gzdoom

description: gameplay wise took inspiration on AV map02 running and gun and AV map06 mini arenas,
visually is highly inspired on AV map03 abandoned factory and AV map06 construction site with rocky and mud terrains,
The map atmosphere is very nostalgic and difficulty wise easy, so i guess you can put it on lower slots.

shots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220509_181515.png.90617a5f849397a69365d7f97abb0e7c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220509_181608.png.843a3be1be6e14acce0a5bc8471b7987.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220509_181623.png.3effd5a72493b16ec4621c133f43237f.png

download here

I updated my map. Please re-download if you played the previous version.

I changed a few textures around the map, added in some more health and ammo, made the underground hangar a little bigger, fixed all the door tracks so now they should all be tagged as lower unpegged. Most importantly, I added one last area which is a Research and Development Lab (it's basically the namesake of this map) that is right next to the underground hangar. There is also a small storage area with a few goodies, including a Backpack.

Author: Lizardcommando
Title: Cavern Research Facility
Midi: MAP10 from Memento Mori 2 (I forget the name for it)
Build time: approximately 10 days
Difficulties: implemented (not fully tested)
Multiplayer: only coop (not tested)
Editor used: Doom Builder version 2.1.2
Tested: pr-boom plus, gzdoom

Description: You start off outside in front of the entrance to the Cavern Research Facility. You have to fight your way through the administration wing (complete with a cafeteria and cubicles, a meeting room and manager's office) in order to find the yellow key. That will let you gain access to the small security office and the elevator that will take you down to the basement hangar. From that area, you will need to walk through the small R&D Lab in order to find the blue key. (don't forget to gather up some supplies in the small storage area!) Once you get the blue key, you will be able to gain access to the underground cavern section which was recently swarmed by demons that had dug their way through the caves. The exit lies up ahead, but tread carefully through the dark tunnel and the lava moat that guards the exit area (along with a swarm of nasty demons!)

I was inspired by MAP10, MAP09 and MAP08 from Memento Mori 2. I do feel like I got a little carried away with the detailing.

Here is the download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qw3vx0o3pdumcr1/lc-mm-tribute-v3.zip/file

Screenshots, incuding a few new areas.

Spoiler

doom03.png.34308fce49e21547c84a5bbc78bc764e.pngdoom01.png.7b223335545a007b7c0916782078107f.pngdoom12.png.ac910c5549bf93110792243fa8951eb6.pngdoom13.png.23f42f347c1c58a62ea404d52e35647d.pngdoom14.png.f6b92f336a402f6933232e29b7b4b17b.pngdoom15.png.b872f568a6424c7063e9ed91ca5d34e0.pngdoom09.png.4238938afbec0f584580d1eca9a6eb54.pngdoom10.png.b3344ba5eaf4ca9eef75c64a1e740618.png

Edited by Lizardcommando

So , I started testing maps. I play them in a random order.

Here are my comments about @gabirupee's contribution. I play on UV with saves.

A small mysterious map with some violent fights. The use of the Secret of Evermore music is an excellent choice !

The main difficulty of the map lies in its progression because you have to find the switches located in the secrets to progress. The first two secrets are extremely easy to find thanks to the automap. The one in the flooded crate  room took me longer. I eventually unlocked the secret by chance. So, expect an unconventional level design. To be honest I thought at first that the map was buggy before I realized that discovering secrets was mandatory.

The toxic liquid, the traps involving some viles and mid-tier monsters as well as the limited ammunition require an accurate play. I had a lot of fun cheesing the yellow key trap by hiding behind the grid, in a secret area.

In addition to the mandatory secrets, there is an unofficial secret trap with an arch-vile guarding a plasma-gun. For my part, I managed to finish the map without the PG.

Aesthetically, the "open sewer" theme is well done. The darkness and the duality between brown and green matches with the music.

About @Lizardcommando map :

A straightforward tech-base leading to a subterrean cavern. I had never played MM2 before  so I don't know the inspiration in this map. Anyway, it has a real 90's feeling thanks to the simple detailing and all the doomcute.

Indeed, you can explore toilets, offices and even a cafeteria! The gameplay would perfectly fit for an early slot , even if the end of the map proved to be tougher because of lava and darkness.

Knowing a little the style of MM2, I expected a mazy level but the progression was intuitive thanks to the realistic approach. I like the fact of exploring real places instead a series of abstract and unmemorable rooms.

In any case, I like this map. I found it relaxing thanks to its light-hearted atmosphere and accessible difficulty.

I have some remarks :

- "Lower Unpegged" should be ticked on all doortrak textures. The moving doortrak textures make the map looking unnecessarly amateurish.

- Ammo was tight for me in the cavern. I ended the level with only 5 bullets even after searching the last remaining clips. Also killing a baron with a single-barreled shotgun in the dark was more grindy than hard. I recommand to add a little more ammo here and here or just replacing the baron with a hell knight since the map is not aimed to be challenging.

Edited by Roofi

I updated my map. I changed a few textures around the map, added in some more health and ammo, made the underground hangar a little bigger, fixed all the door tracks so now they should all be tagged as lower unpegged. Most importantly, I added one last area which is a Research and Development Lab (it's basically the namesake of this map) that is right next to the underground hangar. There is also a small storage area with a few goodies, including a Backpack. Difficulty setting should be set. There should be less enemies in the lower difficulty setting.

Screenshots can be seen in my initial post, including a few new ones.

Here is the download to the new version of the map.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qw3vx0o3pdumcr1/lc-mm-tribute-v3.zip/file

Edited by Lizardcommando

@NoReason

Played your map on UV, really cool tribute slaughtermap of AV/HR . Some encounters were brutal but easily manageable and most of the map was a breeze

Aesthetically speaking, I really dig the use of lava which contrasts with the dark area. It was one of AV29's landmarks (with the hanged imps as well !). I also like the lava tunnel which serves more as a transition to the final part instead of a dangerous combat zone filled with tons of revenants.

About the caged-fight directly inspired from HR's map 13, I died several times because of the cyberdemons located on both sides. However, I still think your version of this trap remains a lot fairer than the original thanks to the greater room for manoeuver. If you only focus on the cybies projectiles until the BFG is unblocked, that trap isn't a big deal anymore.

I also appreciate the variations in intensity. The big fights are separated by long moments where we face few monsters in large spaces, which allows us to breathe and admire the scenery.

I've one remark, I think those brick textures could be better aligned.

Spoiler

fo3jzt4.png

@Lizardcommando, I talk about the grey textures located under the doors. Ticking "Lower unpegged" prevent them to move each time you open a door.

Spoiler

xAlPz64.png

I updated my map once more. I had to fix one of the ceiling textures since it was misaligned. I also made some slight changes to the demon holding area in the R&D Labs. Download link is still the same. Lemme know if anything else needs to be fixed/added.

Edited by Lizardcommando

BgVICr8.png

WithdrawalV3

Midi is "On Lockdown" by James Paddock

Difficulty settings and coop have been implemented.

-- Info Blurb --

Spoiler

So I haven't actually played many wads pre dating the early 2000s. I vaguely remember playing Hell Revealed (wasn't a fan tbh). 

This map is mainly inspired from Map04 of Alien Vendetta, or as I remember, the level where you run through a bunch of corridors blasting low tier enemies with the chaingun and ssg, building up to the climax of the level where you fend off an encroaching horde of low and mid tiers. I quite enjoyed mimicking the close quarters combat scenarios used throughout the original map (including the chaingunner popup surprise). 

Edited by A2Rob

Ok, hopefully this will be the very last time I update this map. I had to fix a few texture errors underneath some doors. Plus, I had to readjust some of the enemy placement. On the plus side, I further increased the size of the demon holding area. If anything needs to be changed, let me know.

EDIT: OK, that was a lie. I had to reupload the file since I had to fix a tiny misaligned texture on the map.

Edited by Lizardcommando

I've finished my map.

Author name : Kain D.
Map name : MEMENTO MOURN
Map # : MAP 31
Music : MFG38 - Riding The Dolphins To Styx (https://www.doomworld.com/vb/thread/119576)
Build time : 1 week
Skill settings : Yes
Co-op : Player starts only
Deathmatch : No
Editor(s) used :  Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade 3
Tested on : Gzdoom 4.7.1.0 , GlBoom+ 2.5.1.4 (complevel 9), PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 (complevel 9)

Description : It is placed in Map 31 slot. This map is inspired by Perdition's Gate maps 31/32. I suggest to be placed in secret slot(ideally as Map 31).
There is also a secret exit, that can be easily removed. You need to download the resource pack to run it.

DOWNLOAD: Mayhem.zip

On 5/6/2022 at 10:51 AM, Obsidian said:

Yep, go for it! There's no dedicated slots for the project: if we end up with more than 32 maps, the excess will be popped into a separate episode accessible via ZDoom.

I think UMAPINFO(or both) would be better, because more sourceports support it. Also, UDB is screaming, that: "Patch "XXDIRBRI", index 277 is double defined in resource "MAY22RES_1.1.wad"."

15 hours ago, A2Rob said:

BgVICr8.png

Withdrawal

Midi is "On Lockdown" by James Paddock

This map was mainly inspired by Map04 from Alien Vendetta. 

Difficulty settings and info blurb coming soon(ish).

@A2Rob, played your map on UV with saves. Awesome tribute to "Seclusion" , I even recognize some references to Map 03 thanks to the chaingunner trap on the bridge leading to the blue key ! I like how you managed to combine a moody atmosphere with a fast-paced gameplay . Aesthetically, it's very clean and the boat which is now way smaller than the cargo in Seclusion was cute. I appreciated the double-secret in order to reach it.

This level has several fun parts , here are my two favourite :

- The chaingunner trap where you can easily survive thanks to the invisibility sphere and the plasma gun,

- The last combat which demonstrates the power of the RL.

Edit : I just realised I confused map 03 with map 04, so your map reminded me a lot more of  "Cargo Depot"

Some remarks :

- The double switch is weird here, I just recommand to lower the sector.

Spoiler

DkDRe7E.png

- 3 Spectres failed to teleport (Yellow key's trap) . The door opens but the raised sector prevent them to teleport. I recommand to lower the floor and block them with the ceiling.

Spoiler

5PBzv6r.png
Kgr8agq.png

10 hours ago, Roofi said:

I just realised I confused map 03 with map 04, so your map reminded me a lot more of  "Cargo Depot"

Completely unintentional. I wasn't even thinking about Map03 when I made that boat :v

@Xulgonoth

Played your level few days ago , on UV with saves , very nice puzzle-oriented mansion level, way better than the original level which I like too.

There are little puzzles that caught my attention:

Spoiler

- The small crates which can be "moved" in order to climb sectors

- the guard with his laser who can be blinded by putting a "container" on his head

- The cracked brick wall which can only be destroyed with the RL

I took at least 30 minutes to beat your map but I never got bored.  The progression and the puzzles are well integrated with the mansion knowing that you can go through the kitchen vents or jump on the crates in the garage for example. You have to interact with some furnitures as I mentioned above like some tiny crates or even a TV.

Also, the level greatly exploits verticality, especially about some secrets accessible via the windows.

The vile section was a thing. I quickly understood how to pass this section but I highly doubt higher ports such as gzdoom allow wallrunning.  

Aesthetically , the result is pretty impressive for a speedmap. But I recommend a better alignment of the textures in some places.  Sometimes it looks really messed up and detracts from the aesthetics. Some exemples :

Spoiler

oiLEUzo.png
4o4YPrR.png
7omWw1B.png

3Q226GO.png

Also, I found a tiny visual bug, the revenants in the pit can be seen before they pop-up (the screen is not very relevant , but I saw a revenant's hand moving in the floor.

Spoiler

XV1nNEr.png

Some shots of WIP level, main inspiration is Requiem's MAP06, 'nataS ot etubirT' along with other Requiem maps:

etrn68.png.aa5881fcb366dc61613836526f235247.pngetrn67.png.d2f2a8a2e43be6f9b2c424cfbcad5ae8.png

By the way, will be nice if next update of the resource wad (if any) include some Requiem textures, I miss some computer textures (specially the green version of COMPBLUE that MAP 06 uses a lot). Resource pack is very nice but there's a lot of quakish textures and not too much green or blue ones.

Cya!

3 hours ago, NokturnuS said:

By the way, will be nice if next update of the resource wad (if any) include some Requiem textures, I miss some computer textures (specially the green version of COMPBLUE that MAP 06 uses a lot). Resource pack is very nice but there's a lot of quakish textures and not too much green or blue ones.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any permissions around in regards to Requiem, so I have to assume that the authors didn't want their work re-used: I'd have liked to incorporate more Requiem stuff into the resource pack, but I felt like it was more important to respect the wishes of the folks behind it. That being said though, if you come across any textures in a similar style that are free to use you're more than welcome to include them in your submission.

3 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any permissions around in regards to Requiem, so I have to assume that the authors didn't want their work re-used: I'd have liked to incorporate more Requiem stuff into the resource pack, but I felt like it was more important to respect the wishes of the folks behind it. That being said though, if you come across any textures in a similar style that are free to use you're more than welcome to include them in your submission.

Yes, you right. Honestly the only texture I really miss is that green computer. Is a recolour of the original COMPBLUE texture, so I think there's no problem if I include in my map. Another one I find useful is the slopped rail (the one used for stair borders), but can live without it.

Hot take: I doubt that the guys behind those wads are even around to care about their graphics being used in other people's stuff. D2ISO uses a bunch of textures from the Memento Mori series without any notable issues, so I personally think they're safe to use unless one of them comes back to doom to give their word on it.

On 4/30/2022 at 3:00 PM, Obsidian said:

WE HAVE OFFICIALLY BEGUN! Lemme know if you're interested in contributing and I'll add you to the list.

Got room for one more mapper? I'd like to contribute. Nevermind that. I think I'm fresh outta ideas for now. Good luck, though!

Edited by dotQLL

I've wanted to contribute to one of the Mayhem projects since I first heard about them in 2018. For the first time, I'm not over-committed to other things, so I stand a decent chance of being able to get my contribution finished in time.

I'm working on a map (it's about 60% finished) that was inspired by Obituary Map 13. It doesn't have a title yet.

Obituary meets the qualifications as laid out in the OP:

• Release date: May 1995 (pre-dates Alien Vendetta)
  • Map count: 17 (megawad, based on exceeding the 15-map minimum, as defined on idgames)
  • Inclusion in the 10 Years of Doom list: One of the top 10 of 1995

Very nice shots! Lemme add one of my own: a bit more humble, but I still like it.

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=842&height=473

7 hours ago, Chainie said:

Is that requiem map02 tribute, Obsidian?

Hahaha, really wasn't hard to pin down, was it? :P

This should be ready ready for testing now.

tuV8ZQf.png

Name: Hillside Dweebs
Inspiration: Alien Vendetta map 06: Hillside Siege
Modes: Singleplayer and very untested coop
Testing: DSDA-Doom -cl9, PRBoom+UM -cl9, Eternity, GZDoom (Boom Strict)
Skill Levels: All implemented
Music: stewboy - Shoot the Pianist
Info:  The original Hillside Siege is a run and gun map balanced a single green armor and low-ish ammo, making infighting very important.  In making my map, I tried to keep to those things in mind as guidelines rather than strict rules.  I ended up with a run and gun map balanced around two green armors and moderate ammo availability of everything but cells, with infighting tending toward being beneficial rather than necessary.  Visually, I tried to recreate the general feeling of the original--that you're attacking some sort of hillside base.  And sorry for the awful pun of a map name, but hey, the project's called Momento Moron.

Any sort of feedback is welcome.  I'm happy to watch demos.  If you notice any errors or have issues with balance, I'd appreciate it if you let me know sooner rather than later--I'll be fairly busy toward the end of the month and into early June.  Thanks, y'all!

Download:  Hillside Dweebs version 1.1 (fixed switch textures)

Edited by Salmon : stuff to fix

Trying it on GZDoom and noticed this in the starting area:

Screenshot_Doom_20220520_233749.png.8fbd405f7194c5a18af31e325a948dea.png

The music is fantastic :) Also the design is superb.

Found another one:

Screenshot_Doom_20220520_234235.png.120f9792a39346eacafed81b7d40af0e.png

and right after that one there's another one like that. You get the idea ;) Love the map so far.

@TheCyberDruid, thanks for pointing that out!  I actually built the map with the first version of the resource pack.  Evidently the switch texture I used was removed in the second version of the resources, hence the weirdness there.  I'll get it fixed and update my original post.

The MIDI was written by stewboy for the Alien Vendetta MIDI pack that came out last year.  It's, of course, the track for Hillside Siege.