Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2022 - MEMENTO MORON (On IdGames!)

Just had a quick go and noticed this missing lower texture:

Screenshot_Doom_20220522_072729.png.e0bb09353ed7e068a7edc27e389c6261.png

Also the last door isn't marked with the corresponding key. Had to use the automap to figure out where to go. Quite intense, but doable experience otherwise.

@Obsidian I've decided that my map is based on Requiem Map15, which has a secret exit. Can I not implement it? Although I think the way to access the secret exit is interesting, so it's worthy of being in my map.

I'd recommend keeping the secret exit in: if your map doesn't end up in the MAP15 slot, you can convert it into a regular secret or an alternate exit that lets you leave the map with more resources.

I hate to say this, but I'm dropping out this year for the sake of my sanity. I haven't been able to muster up the energy to work on something that I don't enjoy working on. best of luck to those who are still working on their maps.

On 4/29/2022 at 8:00 AM, Obsidian said:

The deadline is May the 31st at 11:59pm, Yankee Time Zone (Y).

Will there be a grace period for bug fixes after this deadline? In other words, so long as it's submitted by this deadline, will there be time allotted to fix problems that may be uncovered during playtesting?

12 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Will there be a grace period for bug fixes after this deadline? In other words, so long as it's submitted by this deadline, will there be time allotted to fix problems that may be uncovered during playtesting?

Yep, bugfixing will be allowed: it's preferable for the finished megawad to be decently polished (:P), so as long as the fixes aren't too extensive or needless it's all good in my book.

Alrighty, time for my submission!

Name: Sumptorium Steel

MIDI: "Voter" by Zan-zan-zawa-veia

Tested in: PrBoom+, GZDoom (belatedly)

Build time: I dunno, a few weeks?

This one is rather blatantly a tribute to Sacrificium, the map occupying the MAP02 slot in Requiem. I've always had a fondness for maps with clever design and this one in particular stood out to me when I started playing Doom: yeah, there's more complex maps out there (including in Requiem itself), but this one made an impression with its compact layout and that rather memorable bit with the Pinky demons. Lemme know what y'all think of it.

Spoiler

unknown.png

Can anyone tell why my custom transfer doesn't work? The actions are there, the tags are there, the textures are there, everything's there. Better yet, it worked at first, but then it broke without me changing anything in that area.

May2022HighRevoltage.zip

I hate to say this, but I will drop from this Community Project.

I really just could not get an idea for a map and it has been getting frustrating for me. I'll be looking at this thread to see it's progress from time to time though.

Here is my entry

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqsdug330rl0dm9/Mayhem22cb.wad?dl=0

Name - Beam me up Möller

Midi - Triangle of fear by Mark Klem

Inspiration (Sort of) - The Teleporter (MM Map01)

Difficulty settings - Yes*

Co-op - Starts and some extra resources/monsters

So I took the route of taking a map from this era and trying to implement the idea in a more cohesive manner. The teleporter involved the mission of closing a teleporter to stop the demons entering the base. The core layout is loosely based on the pentagram drawn in said map.

All I can say is speed is of the essence once you hit the blue key switch. The difference between UV and HMP/HNTR is the number of switches you need to hit to close the teleporters, which I managed to do by trapping voodoo dolls on certain difficulty settings to prevent them from running those boom scripts.

Honestly  kind of regret choosing this one, but maybe someone will get a kick out of it. I may add some more detail if bugfixing is required.

Spoiler

GJtj2kU.png

Edited by cannonball

I'm working on a second map , heavily inspired by HR map 02. The map will be finished before the deadline. :)

Gk4nnEs.png
maXZzZd.png
q58qyDX.png

8 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Can anyone tell why my custom transfer doesn't work? The actions are there, the tags are there, the textures are there, everything's there. Better yet, it worked at first, but then it broke without me changing anything in that area.

May2022HighRevoltage.zip

Had to do a bit of re-jiggering to make your map run (the TEXTURE1 lump included in the wad clashed with the resources), but I eventually found what the problem was: you've got multiple linedefs with Action 271 in your map, some without actual textures associated with them. Delete all the needless ones and you should be fine.

Also that is some excellent Doomcute.

Finally managed to put a submission together for this. I'm new to this whole mapping business and wasn't sure how to include the textures I added for my map, so I just included the full texture pack along with my additions in the zip file, separately from the map. I also included a text file listing which textures I added and their sources. If there's a more proper protocol for adding one's own textures to a CP, I'm all ears.

manshun.zip

Map Title: A Man Shunned

Inspiration: Memento Mori MAP10: The Mansion

MIDI: "The Wind" by Mark Klem (though I may try to do an original MIDI if I can find the time in the next two days)

Difficulty Settings: Implemented (HMP is close to UV with extra resources and a few heavy-hitters removed, while HNTR is "classic mode," emulating the original Mansion's overly vacant atmosphere)

Cooperative: Starts scattered through the map, a few extra supplies and monsters provided

Deathmatch: Starts placed throughout map, but gameplay is probably trash

Build Time: ~40 hours

Tested with: DSDA Doom (-complevel 9)

Playtime: Takes me 15-20 minutes to UV Max, but given the open layout of the map, it could take much longer for a blind run to figure out how to approach the challenges presented.

Blurb for Text File: The eponymous "shunned man" is Alden Bates, creator of MM MAP10 and writer of the MM story, setting him up to be Tom Hall-type figure within The Innocent Crew. Alternatively, you are the shunned man, the only one not invited to whatever shindig brought nearly 600 demons to the area. This version reimagines the original manor without vanilla limits and with a stronger emphasis on combat, filling the available space with monsters to turn up the pressure.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

mmvista.png.788f8df874f549010ab188abc30bb5f4.pngmmart.png.e7702b863b8720fdf3276436ad98fff3.pngmmbed.png.ac4df7544f201de65decd244847a7ac3.pngmmdining.png.d67792a9586d742a7e5526d8e25d73f6.pngmmenter.png.dbe1a901b9ac3c5e468e58a7a8e25c98.pngmmfoyer.png.0713731c15ce3b7e91ad38ae5dcb32ac.pngmmssgsec.png.eb302f917198df341f21d055c601dfae.pngmmtheatr.png.d729042f26a3d6a3f25beb8f89ce9443.png

16 hours ago, LGmaire said:

I hate to say this, but I will drop from this Community Project.

I really just could not get an idea for a map and it has been getting frustrating for me. I'll be looking at this thread to see it's progress from time to time though.

I can take your spot instead. I might be working on something for this. @Obsidian

I'll have to drop out from this too. The month's almost over and I haven't been motivated to map recently. Sorry to disappoint.

16 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Had to do a bit of re-jiggering to make your map run (the TEXTURE1 lump included in the wad clashed with the resources), but I eventually found what the problem was: you've got multiple linedefs with Action 271 in your map, some without actual textures associated with them. Delete all the needless ones and you should be fine.

Also that is some excellent Doomcute.

It all works now, thanks for the help!

Screenshot_Doom_20220529_001855.png.6a9e89ed239b448738cbcfcd11e4e3f1.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220529_001939.png.363d6d7eae3ce72ceddad33e9384bc7a.png

I wasn't sure if I could make my map in time, but now it's coming along nicely.

Name: Veteran's Entry

Midi: Death Jam by Rich Nagel

Difficulty settings: implemented

Tested with: dsda-doom and gzdoom

Sky texture by Mechadon

Inspired by: Eternal Doom Map25: Beginner's End by Jim Flynn

Just like in ED Map25, the gimmick of this map is to explore a 6 floors building, solving puzzles and finding out not-so-obvious ways to progress. The original map is very linear, as it forces you to visit the floors from bottom to top, but in this map you can enter the floors in any order you want (I still recommend to visit the 2nd floor early because it has the SSG). Some areas are also inspired by other ED maps, not just Map25.

Hope you suffer enjoy!

veteransentryV2.zip

Spoiler

doom08.png.8582df713b6c09b08eaf5227eca801cc.png

Spoiler

Some side by side screenshots:

mayhem2022inspiration.png

Edited by Danlex

Felt cute, will complete this before June 1st

FT47ZHoX0AAoOZx?format=jpg&name=large

3 hours ago, Danlex said:

I haven't been able to thoroughly test all the submissions due to other constraints on my time, but I had to give this one a go and I'm not surprised at the fact that I got good and stumped on it after a while. :P Couldn't quite figure out the yellow skull puzzle, alas.

That aside it's a delightfully puzzley map, very much in line with its inspiration. Very good work.

Hello !

Here is my second and last map for this project. it's "The Flowing Station" ,  a rather short and easy map inspired by the punchy gameplay involving lot of histcanners from Hell Revealed Map 02. As my previous map, I compared some sections of my map with the original one. :)

Spoiler

inspiration.png

Author name : Roofi
Map name : The Flowing Station
Music name : "Faces" by T-Square"
Build time : 10 days
Skill settings : Implemented (monster count stays the same but the items change)
Co-op : yes but not tested.
Deathmatch : Same
Tested on : Prboom+

Description : A hydraulic station highly inspired by the punchy gameplay from Hell Revealed Map 02. My second map is also designed to be rather short and easy. This one involves only low-tiers monsters and especially hitscanners.

Known Bugs : For some reasons, the music often doesn't loop well. If the music starts glitching , switch the soundfont or the music in order to reset it.

Check my image for the inspiration.

Have fun !

>>>DOWNLOAD<<<

So unfortunately I was unable to make anything for this as I've been distracted by IRL & other games :(

However I do look forward to the end result in June :D

I did it!

May2022HighRevoltage.zip

(I couldn't figure out how to make my textures work as a stand-alone thing in boom though... I just added them to my copy of the resource pack, since that's how it's gonna work in the end anyway.)

Screenshot_Doom_20220530_001127.png.8cb1429da7a1e52f2bd435458036948a.png

Name: High Revoltage

Inspiration: MAP04: Phobopolis and others from Revolution!

Skill levels/co-op/DM: Yes
Music: Bystreet by Akse & Jimmy (TVR midi pack)

Additional textures by Thomas van der Velden (free to use with credits)

Sadly I'll also have to drop out of this project due to IRL issues, it's the sensible thing to do rather than say nothing at all or stress myself out trying to make something presentable.
I was going to create something inspired by maps 10 and 20 from AV and almost managed to start work on my ideas in the last week or so, which I could have done but every time I felt like I got time to work on it things got worse, so there's no way I can do those maps justice now with 1 day left.

I look forward to playing the hell out of the finished wad, anyway!

Well, let's go.

Map Name: Caco Ball Torture
Author: Dac
Build Time: A day and some hours.
Music: "World of Empty Dreams" by ZUN (From the 'Story of Eastern Wonderland' OST - It's from the 90s, it counts!)
Inspiration: 'What if there was a boom compatible sequel to Cyberdreams?' or if I need to be more specific, Cyberdreams MAP07 and MAP32 for the idea of using a cyberdemon to kill off pesky targets.
Difficulty Settings: Yes, actually! The main gameplay does not change, but HNTR gives you more health and armour to survive, and you have no friends on Ultra-Violence to help you. You'll see what I mean.

Multiplayer: Only coop starts.
Ports Tested: GZDoom 4.8.0 pre270, DSDA-Doom 0.24.3, Doom Retro 4.5.1, Woof 9.0.0
Description: From The Doom Wiki at doom wiki dot org.

On a more serious note, I fell into the trap of being overly ambitious early on before I realigned and made an homage to one of my favourite megawad.

NOTE: It's best to put this map behind a death exit or a secret level death exit, probably both. Not having the right hardware for the job is kind of crucial to the Cyberdeams Experience. Also the map is not really speedrun friendly because cybers are kind of Like That, you know?

Also you don't need to use the CWILV I put in, I know it's too big I just wanted to see if I could put something in it. And I could!

To fix: I need to make the map a bit bigger to reduce claustrophobia and have less bullshit splash damage, and fix a few visual bugs with midtexes. Map's playable otherwise, I'm mostly getting this out before the deadline.

DOWNLOAD

You gave it an earnest shot and that's all anyone can ask for. That goes for anyone who was unable to submit a map this year for whatever reason, by the way: even if it didn't quite pan out, I appreciate y'all putting in the effort you did.