Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2022 - MEMENTO MORON (On IdGames!)

Very nice idea, i think i can submit my entry in time. RL issues don't allow me to made a map for the last year community project.

2 hours ago, dac said:

Project managers bit more than they could chew and clearly weren't ready There actually was no MAYhem 2021 due to, uh, the pandemic still going on and crypto/NFTs making everybody miserable, yeah that's the reason please do not do further research on the matter

*Raises an eyebrow*

On 4/30/2022 at 8:51 PM, Hitboi said:

So does this mean getting inspiration any wad released after Alien Vendetta/2001 is prohibited?

* Don't think about Sunlust, don't think about Sunlust, don't thi... AW SHIT! *

31 minutes ago, BCHQ said:

* Don't think about Sunlust, don't think about Sunlust, don't thi... AW SHIT! *

Some (most?) of the Sunlust maps are beyond my mapping skill. Imagine making a faithful fansequel/homage to God Machine :[

On 5/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, Lingyan203 said:

What happened to Mayhem 2021?

A celebration was held.  Nobody showed up.
The project manager burned it to the ground just to feel a bit of warmth.

Edited by TMD

Oh yes, and while I remember: I'm currently looking to commission some TITLEPIC (and potentially INTERPIC) art for this, so let me know if there's any good artists I can turn to for such a thing. Whoever I end up going with will be compensated for their work.

i know i'm late. but im super excited to see what ya'll sexy beasts come up with. <3

It ain't much, but here's what I have so far with my map. It was inspired by Memento Mori 2's MAP10 with dashes of MAP08 and MAP09.

doom03.png.2661d9c1f0733d09c3550f7b5da65cad.pngdoom00.png.61f1fdd01a57fa8451b2565d8f928813.pngdoom01.png.3042bce8b3e4291d89fb1de20e5b31da.png

I am having issues with the bathroom stall doors not working. They work fine in GZDoom but in PRBoom Plus, they do not function at all.

Just a PSA for those who want to add your own textures for this. It is possible to do it without just dragging and dropping everything into your wad, but instead copying and pasting the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps into your wad and then adding your own textures and stuff. Once you've done that, your wad should look like this:

M5Qpx3n.png

I hope I explained this well enough.

1 hour ago, Lizardcommando said:

I am having issues with the bathroom stall doors not working. They work fine in GZDoom but in PRBoom Plus, they do not function at all.

How did you set up your doors? are they tagged correctly?

11 minutes ago, Breezeep said:

How did you set up your doors? are they tagged correctly?

I tagged the doors as lifts. This is what I had done:

bathroomstalls.png.482c8045ab6e33d61e0cb5afdae1831e.png

Was I supposed to give the doors tags? This was the same exact method I used when I created a similar room in another map I was working on and it worked fine in GZDoom.

5 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

Was I supposed to give the doors tags?

Yep, because the activation type of action 123 is switch repeatable, the linedef needs to have a tag and be linked to a tagged sector (which is in this case, the door's sector).

20 hours ago, Cacodemon187 said:

Starting area of my Crimson Tide tribute! (av map05)

image.png.270001f5c049f9040e8c719f1cd64b89.png

Looks wonderful!

Screens of my nearly finished map, it's inspired by the first episode of Hell Revealed, especially, map 04 "Garden Terminal" and map 08 "The jail". The inspiration will be described more precisely once finished.

FDG8IP5.png
3WUGQts.png
bdq1ZEH.png
n92ZvIs.png

Some excellent shots! Also cheers for the PSA Breezeep, that should be a big ol' help to folks :)

On 5/3/2022 at 7:08 PM, Obsidian said:

Oh yes, and while I remember: I'm currently looking to commission some TITLEPIC (and potentially INTERPIC) art for this, so let me know if there's any good artists I can turn to for such a thing. Whoever I end up going with will be compensated for their work.

Yooo let's talk, what are you looking for? I could get something together if you'd like! :D

So I've had a couple days off and decided to make a speedmap, because I felt like mapping for a bit again, but wouldn't have enough time to make significant progress on my main projects. And unfortunately for y'all, I was really intrigued by the premise of this year's Mayhem.

I really like Jim Flynn's style of puzzle maps and I've wanted to make an homage to it for a while, so this was a cool opportunity. Since combat really isn't the focus here at all, the way I've decided to handle difficulties is that the setting determines how many puzzles need to be solved before the player is allowed to exit while the monster count stays the same. Coop spawns are there, but it's untested and I have no idea about the extent to which having multiple players will mess things up.

Name: Callisto Mansion
Music: "Desert Jello Bouncing" from Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (sequenced by @Peter)
Inspired by: Titan Manor from Master Levels

EDIT: Made a few little tweaks to my map before the end of May:

Spoiler
  • Fixed a bunch of misaligned textures and weird visuals as recommended by @Roofi. Probably not all of them though.
  • Made the archvile horde hopefully impossible to wallrun by. Another thing Roofi discovered, I really did think it was impossible in the earlier version.
  • Hid the blue key to make the player hopefully notice the epic """environmental storytelling""".
  • Added a teleporter to make the pit the guardian sinks you into escapable. Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking either.
  • Made the computer area map secret harder to reach because sometimes I really do want the player to suffer.
  • Made it hopefully impossible for a zombieman corpse to completely obscure the hint for the yellow keycard vault.
  • Added a bunch of scrolling linedefs to the lift that takes the player to the upper floor the first time. I had a friend play this (I know, I'm a horrible friend) and he found out that GZDoom always passes use through the backside of a switch. This exists solely to prevent that from happening.

Callisto Mansion 1.1.zip

Also, completely unrelated to my map, but I thought I'd write this here instead of a new post: @Danlex I had to play your map just for the fact that you chose a pretty similar premise, and you've made something truly beautiful. The puzzles are pretty easy (though I may have been at an advantage, given how a bunch of them were clear Eternal Doom references), but they're all very clever and engaging, so I had a blast playing your map! That's all, I've got no constructive feedback, only subjective praise.

Edited by Xulgonoth

I would like to try and participate if there's still room available. Is it fine to use the Master Levels as the inspiration?

3 minutes ago, Uni said:

I would like to try and participate if there's still room available. Is it fine to use the Master Levels as the inspiration?

Yep, go for it! There's no dedicated slots for the project: if we end up with more than 32 maps, the excess will be popped into a separate episode accessible via ZDoom.

Huh, my favorite classic megawad is one year older than Alien Vendetta! Perhaps I'll do something for MAYhem's 10th anniversary...

Real life stuff and me being lazy is slowing me down from mapping, so expect me returning to my map on the 22nd of this month (which means 10 days before the deadline! I guess I can do it before May ends).

Edited by Hitboi

Okayyyy I am currently working on a map inspired by Dark Dome (MAP26) of Alien Vendetta. It’s gonna be a tall order but I think I can do it

My map is done !

About inspiration, an image is better than words, so here is some designs inspired from HR's map 04 and map 08. Of course, the image doesn't list all the inspirations in order to not spoil too much.

Spoiler

gTnXLvb.png

Author name : Roofi
Map name : The Sound of Muzak
Music name : "The Sound of Muzak" by Porcupine Tree
Build time : 6 days
Skill settings : Implemented (monster count stays the same but the items change)
Co-op : yes but not tested.
Deathmatch : Same
Tested on : Prboom+

Description : A construction site inspired by designs from Hell Revealed's map 04 "Garden Terminal" and  map 08 "The Jail". Despite , the 200 monsters the level is designed to be easy, a lot more accessible than my previous contributions for Mayhem 2020 and 2018 at least. Take a look at my beautiful crane !

Check my image for the inspiration.

>>> DOWNLOAD LINK <<<

Resource pack has been updated! Fixed a whoopsie with some of the switches, make sure you update your map if you're using the Iikka switches on SW1BRIK# as they have their own dedicated textures now.

Here is an update to my map. I'm almost done with it. I just need to make the exit and polish the final area and I will be done.

Although, truthfully, I feel like I may have gotten a bit too ham with this map and strayed a little far away from my inspirations (which were MAP10, MAP09 and MAP08 from Memento Mori 2). I was actually going to expand on the little underground hangar area and would have added a little research facility right next to that area, but I thought I was kind of stretching the length of the map too much.

doom04.png.a7c686be68417c77689d401a411edee0.pngdoom06.png.6d4db4783c74a4cdf62d2b2d9cad0dd4.pngdoom08.png.3befeff3955085c7f5b436f8243fc9b7.pngdoom09.png.1b05c2421273181bb3351834aadde41b.pngdoom10.png.b3344ba5eaf4ca9eef75c64a1e740618.pngdoom11.png.7a748cc52dc7124e87cc7b50dd419867.png