Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: The Rebirth

Category 1. Fully blind, with the exception of having read the softlock warnings in the first post on this thread.

I died in a lava bath on MAP28, with 52/115 kills. Not the same lava as bdubzzz, see spoiler below. MAP28 was reached at 3:30:41 in-game time.

Spoiler

Went through a teleporter, saw some monsters and heard a caco wake up, reacted by stepping sideways without looking at my footing and ended up in the lava right away. Couldn't find an elevator to get out.

I wouldn't call the lava pit that I died in "bad design", but it is mildly dickish on blind runs. Teleporting into new areas always causes a split second of disorientation, and that far into the run I was operating on instinct - see monsters, react.

Maybe my concentration just failed me after 3 hours and 40 minutes, at 2:00am local time. Regardless, at that hour I welcome the sweet release of death.

Caffeine helped me stay awake until the end and not facerocket myself, but it meant that I had to go pee during MAP15.

Video here:

Edited by ginc

Only a week remains, and five people died within grasp of the exit. Will someone step up to the challenge of MAP28 and 29?? There's still time :))

IronmanRebirthHC.zip

Category 1, Dead in MAP16 with 53 kills.

Spoiler

I was trapped in a claustrophobic basement section of the city level and then those tunnels were flooded with a small rush of Revenants. 1 or 2 attacks was all it took.

I really enjoyed this one - Rebirth aspired to be a Doom 2 tribute set, and I thought it completely succeeded at its goal.

I appreciated the minimalism: the levels didn't go on too long and the visuals were consistently solid, especially the understated-yet-competent grasp of lighting. I particularly liked how the city levels looked, with the brown earth-base textures recast in these dark outdoor sections under a custom Plutonia-esque E2 skybox.

I also appreciate the light touch applied with how things slowly, gradually escalate over the course of this gigantic 30-level campaign. For the most part, the player is empowered to take new risks & open new areas at their own pace and allowed to be in control of how new sections of the map get unlocked and how new threats get added to the board. Oh, there are wrong turns to take and mystery switches to pull which will deliver danger, to be sure, but their relative rarity just makes it more effective when one of those moments of panic does occur. I especially enjoyed how the dedication to small environments which you'll crisscross as you take new keys back to the established colored doors results in situations which seem to communicate to the player: "Just grab the prize and run like hell! :D"

Overall, what I saw of Rebirth delivered classic-style gameplay while avoiding all the awkward clunkiness of antiquity. It's a little rough around the edges, but I had a blast while trying to fight the fatigue & stay frosty during this month's marathon, and I'll definitely be going back to play the second half of the set.

Thanks for selecting it for this month!

There's time - don't worry. Think a new thread will be up tomorrow, this time hosted by @Suitepee

@NaZa

This is embarrassing to admit, but after I wrote the post below on May 31st, I forgot to press the Submit button.

I had wondered why my obituary hadn't shown up, but I figured it was just that I had submitted my run so close to the deadline (literally less than 1 hour before the deadline). I didn't bother to check if I had submitted the post because why would I have not done that? (Even though I have forgotten to submit posts before, but that's a different story.)

I didn't discover this until yesterday, which is why you're seeing this post now. You may be asking yourself how do you know that I'm not making this up and I just didn't do my run? Well, all I can say is look at the run. Why would I go to the trouble to fabricate such a story for a run that would land me squarely in last place? Also, if you look at demo in the zip file, you should see that it was recorded around 11 PM EST on May 31st. I suppose it's possible to fake the timestamp on a file, but that seems to be a lot of trouble to go through, especially given the poor performance. I ask that you consider this submission for the DWIL in May and include it in the score table. I understand if you don't, but I wanted to put it before you.

Now, without further ado, here is the original message written (but not submitted):

I'm finally playing able to make my DWIL run at 11 PM on May 31st. Here I was worried that I might run into trouble with the time. I even had a ready-made explanation if I ran long--that it was still May 31st at whatever hour I finished.

My confidence was misplaced. Here is my Category 1 submission.

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 18/29

Time: 2:08

dwi_pegleg_rebirth_category1.zip

What I saw seemed fairly solid, in terms of encounter setup, health, and aesthetics, but I don't have a whole lot to comment on otherwise. Perhaps I'll go back at some point and give it another try.

41 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I ask that you consider this submission for the DWIL in May and include it in the score table. I understand if you don't, but I wanted to put it before you.

I'll waive it through, no worries... though your zip file cannot be located, according to the server. Would you mind reuploading it?

2 hours ago, NaZa said:

I'll waive it through, no worries... though your zip file cannot be located, according to the server. Would you mind reuploading it?

That's odd, but regardless, here it is:

dwi_pegleg_rebirth_category1.zip