Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Judgment

Map 04: Temple of the Lost

Gonna be honest here, I've never had two maps that feel exactly the same back to back before, but this and Ritual Grounds feel like they're cut from exactly the same cloth. Yes, it's primarily because of the episode consistency, but both of these levels are three key hunts with green marble embedded in black rock, and have a secret in a perfectly circular room, a deep painfloor caldera that is lined with walkable floor, orthogonal slate pathways guarded by turret columns, and an ending that is a straight line leaded to a four teleport pad exit on a circular platform guarded by a Baron of Hell. Both of these maps could exist as a singular stretch and I wouldn't even notice. 

The fights are cool, navigating out of the Red Key area was creative. Azazel is a cool dynamic monster that I feel will be made use of very well. Everything else I keep confusing with Ritual Grounds, which is not great since I had a better time with that level overall. I understand that a lot of these first maps for Step Into The Fire were made back in 2015, and it shows, but there's absolutely nothing  bad yet.

Map 05: Incised Path

Ballsy to start of a level in Episode 1 with four Arch-Viles, but it definitely was exciting. One of my biggest problems with expanding the scope of Doom "scripting" is present here, however, as I initially had no idea that the Viles would just get warped out. My thought from observation was that I had to complete the switch sequence and then hack them down with the SSG that the map gives you at the end of the trap, but they just teleport away without any kind of telegraph. I understand the expanse of what is possible in something like Boom where the triggers are all very physical, but when monsters can be teleported around at the snap of the mapper's fingers, it makes me very cautious when I'm interpreting reality. 

Navigation is still classy, Azazel is still a powerhouse, and there's still a lot of geometry meant to help out speedrunners. The outer edge of the Vile house is very wide open, far too wide to allow for Dark Imps to catch up to a full speed player, encouraging people to run for better guns. Again, I highly encourage people to play these levels a second time with this in mind, not only does it slash the playtime significantly, but it makes the maps easier as well, since it provides you with better weaponry than an incidental approach. Finding intention is beyond crucial nowadays.

Power Rankings:

Spoiler
  1. Pit of Fire
  2. Incised Path
  3. Ritual Ground
  4. Blood Mountain
  5. Temple of the Lost

Rayziik's Circular Column of the Day:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220503_171452.png.a6acf15bd65cfc8d8221de2c7629d839.png

I actually couldn't find one for Incised Path, so wow, this joke is already dead

MAP 04: Temple Of The Lost

Man, this level is really laid back compared to the last two. It's honestly really good, I needed a breather.

It's got some decent combat, but it falls flat compared to the last three levels. It looks great though, and it's got some non-linear elements, I don't even think the Yellow Key matters.

I'll give it a B, with a difficulty of D.

Level rankings: 03, 02, 01, 04

Difficulty Rankings: 03, 02, 04, 01

MAP04: Temple of the Lost

UV, pistol start, no saves

100% kills, 3/4 secrets

A similar theme to the last map with the brown brick fortress, cracked black cliffs, and red damaging areas. There's even an area with green torches and a centre pit that looks a lot like a room in the previous map, it houses the red key door while it housed the blue key door in MAP03. Another great Jimmy midi in this one too, skimming the credits it sounds like that might be something I'll be saying a lot, heh.

Right from the beginning one of the new monsters makes its presence known, the shock trooper will continuously fire plasma bolts at a slow rate when he sees you and they can do quite a lot of damage. Wasn't prepared for it my first go-around and they actually killed me right away. This is another level with a bit of a "happy path", although it's a bit less egregious about it than the previous map. After getting the yellow key you have the choice to go for the blue key or the red key next, and I found that going for the blue key first made things easier and a bit less oppressive on the ammo. My initial attempt went the red key path first and, while it was perfectly doable, it felt like I had to be much more careful with ammo when I went this way. Keeping an eye out for secrets can mitigate this too though of course. The level ends with another new monster, the Azazel, a winged goat-man who fires volleys of mancubus fireballs at you.

I had fun with this one, it did feel a bit backtracky at points, but I feel a bit more positively on this map than the previous map.

MAP 05 – Incised Path

DSDA-Doom v0.24.3, UV, Continuous, blind run w/saves

The next map presented itself as a linear level, following an Incised Path. Considering that the journey began in a confined, disorienting fortress with no weapons and populated by four Arch-Viles, I was very happy to play continuous. Situations where I must run around like a chicken are not my cup of tea, I prefer to fight back immediately with whatever I have, provided it is not only a pistol. My carryover arsenal made short work of the ill-intentioned quartet, while pistol starters must lose them in the fortress and flick three switches to get outside, where the necessary resources were provided. Apparently, the Viles are sent to a limbo closet if they cross the threshold.

Spoiler

1004794466_JudgmentMAP05_01.jpg.a0edcb4d9ab2c88bfa15ffe2d1ee6fb9.jpg

More powerful weapons and plenty of ammo were scattered in the fiery landscape around the building, implying that some big fights lay ahead. Approaching the BSK was enough for a varied wave of enemies to appear, trying to converge on me from two directions. I retreated quickly to the start, causing some infighting in the meantime, then I turned around and faced the now 100% frontal opposition. Flying monsters were unable to sneak up on me from behind. This part was quite entertaining and could be approached lightly, considering that health and resources were adequate. The YSK ambush was also fun and easy to escape, even though the teleporting monsters tried to block my getaway.

Spoiler

525889203_JudgmentMAP05_02.jpg.3f71eebe874bff0349675375e0d8238f.jpg

The rollicking stroll through the Incised Path came to an end, inside a square marble chamber that required a more careful approach. Snipers were positioned in the worst places, especially Chaingunners in the corners and on upper levels. Arachnotrons and Revenants abounded in cages and terraces, so it was not a place where Doomguy could just stand and shoot. The room transformed itself many times during my stay, revealing side areas full of reinforcements, then restoring the original terrace for one last big teleport. The symmetry of certain parts was confusing, especially when I got teleported around and asked myself in which direction I was facing. I acknowledged that the last area was a challenging and dynamic creation, visually appealing even with lots of right angles, but progressing through it was aggravating, because of the faraway Commandos. A pretty good map though, and another step up for the challenge.

Edited by Book Lord

MAP05: Incised Path. Played on DSDA v0.24.0. PS, UV, 223/223 K, 1/1 S, 33/33 I. Comp. time 19:31

I had to cheat to find the secret that might have made a small difference, as I was starving for ammo at the end -- although this starvation was on me, because I somehow left one big cell pack unpicked.

I don't know, this was another meh level, perhaps a little more meh than the last one. I mean, a decent level to be sure, I didn't like the archviley beginning, and the final arena felt like a bit... square. Other than that, the level reminded me of Valiant for some reason, I mean the outdoor area surrounding the archvile temple.

I liked the small fight for the YSK the best, the one in the cavern connecting the AV temple and the Square Hall. I survived it, but not stylishly; It's the one fight in the map I'd love to try again, and should have while I were at there.

Perhaps one thing that unfairly ate my enjoyment is that I was *certain* that the small corridor just before the Square Hall had a secret. I'd spent some fifteen minutes trying to find some hidden switch to open it nearby, but no luck. Finally I succumbed to Ultimate Doom Builder (should have used IDDT, can't figure out why I didn't) to find out it was a co-op teleport, and my elusive secret lay somewhere far away, behind one really subtly textured wall.

MAP 05 - Incised Path :

Oh my, there's an AV ass in front of me! Naked! Also a megasphere. Too bad for him that I have rockets. After killing him I do a quick run around. Red, green and blue flames. Which will I pick? Hum.. Red. Nothing happens, so all three? SSG, back pack, shells and another megasphere but no way forward. Unless.. Ah! PE dead, imps dead, spider dead, manc dead, more imps dead, another manc, more imps, another manc, blue key! oh, now they start coming. Having shells I SSG everything. I love the sound the cute little cacos do when they die. Kill everything, soul sphere, blue bars, into the cave! For the YSK ambush I go with the plasma gun. Switch, open bars, glad I switched to RL to wipe the demon-like thingy, yellow bars, big room. De-spider the room, go all the way back for the megasphere at the start and then return here. Plasma in hand, switch. Plasma for a while, RL for clean-up, all 6 switches, up. And.. That's the end, however! 4 enemies and 1 secret to go.. The bad boys were behind me, so it's just the secret... After a long while, done. The secret didn't seem marked in any way, wall humping seemed to be the only clue to it..

still, 100% I/S/K, 0 deaths, 20:08

The level kinda feels like they didn't really test it on lower levels, I don't play that good and had 2 unpicked megaspheres at the end! 

MAP05 - Incised Path:
This map is great, there's slight tone shift from brown temples in dark black caverns of the first four maps, we instead get a very "vanilla" looking hell level with red rocks and green marble everywhere. I've always really liked this aesthetic so I liked it, and the banked (I can't think of a better term) walls allow for some interesting combat - you can shoot and be shot through them, but can't move through them. I also think the combat in this map is much more fun than the previous ones, with a much larger scale to the battles. After the very perilous start where you have to dodge four archviles with no weapons (unless you're playing continuously I guess), you're set free into a large cavern where you're given weapons 3->6 and inundated with ammo.

The little skirmish for the yellow key in the cave seems pretty intense at first, but you can deal with it by standing in the corridor entrance to the room and firing rockets. The final room is very good, you're surrounded on all sides and archviles enter the arena on switch presses which block you off and delay you from immediately killing them, which I thought was pretty creative. The walkways section at the end is a starring role for the Fallen where they come at you in high numbers and are surprisingly dangerous. This is a very fun map, and reminded me why I remembered liking this wad a lot more than the first four maps may suggest.

RANKINGS:

Spoiler

Really Liked: MAP02, MAP05
Liked: 
Mixed Opinions: MAP03
Didn't Like:

Boring: MAP01, MAP04

(Played continuously on UV with DSDA-Doom, saves are allowed)

Map 5: Incised Path

103% kills, 97% items and 100% secrets (starting from this month, I am counting the kills added by arch-vile resurrections.)

Time: 10:23

This map is a pure adrenaline rush throughout it's entire run time. The start when you need to avoid arch-vile fire while pressing switches is creative and can't be cheesed in continuous play as they will just overwhelm you. After that, getting out of the castle allows you to get more sweet weapons and the blue key, but grabbing it teleports a glorious amount of monsters who you can absolutely decimate with your RL and plasma. The second big fight comes after grabbing the yellow key, in which lots of tomatoes, meatballs, barons and imps teleport, followed by an archie when you try to exit. However, nothing beats the final fight in which tons of enemies teleport in, who later get resurrected by arch-viles. After that, even more enemies teleport in, making the arena even more crowded. The visuals and AD_79 midi are still great, but the action sets this map apart and make it the best one so far.

Rankings:

Spoiler

Love:

Map 5

Really Like:

Map 3

Map 2

Like:

Map 4

Map 1

Played with pistol-starts on UV on DSDA-Doom

Map 02: Blood Mountain

A lot better that map 01. This entire episode is hell themed and this map is sorta small hell keep. The lost souls are buffed, that is really cruel. I like the new sprite for the chaingunners. The fights themselves are pretty trivial, but enjoyable enough. It has quite a few archviles for a map 02. It is way too dark for me. I love the dehacked "This door opens from elsewhere..." message. It's a nice map.

Map 03: Ritual Grounds

Beige hell fort. The first arena is a bit rough, but it is probably the only fight I remember from this one. A lot of hitscanners. I like the super shotgun secret, I generally like how the secrets are hidden in this wad. I don't like the beige marble, it just doesn't look good to me. I didn't really enjoy this one.

Map 04: Temple of the Lost

This looks and feels a lot like map 03, which means it isn't really my cup of tea. It has the same coloring and same looking black and red floors. This map loops a lot around itself, which I like. I like how large the starting area feels. The fight with the new miniboss(?) is super easy, but the most memorable fight in the map. I liked this more than map 03, but still not a huge fan.

Super fun map. From the start to the end, I enjoyed all the fights. I really like the starting room, where you have to run around hitting switches and dodging archies. The outside area looks way better than anything from the previous maps. I really like this rendition of hell. The cave fight is fun. The final fight in the marble building is also super fun. Both of these are a bit circle strafe to win and you have way too much resourses, but it is just super enjoyable. I was so suprised that a map this enjoyable would come after map 03 and 04. Really liked it.

My rankings

Spoiler

1: Incised Path (05)

2: Blood Mountain (02)

3: Pit of Fire (01)

4: Temple of the Lost (04)

5: Ritual Grounds (03)

Things are a touch more linear than I like, but it's ok. Starting out in a marble temple heretofore bearing minor resemblance to the themes displayed thus far, you'll then head into a cave I was too blind to spot as you can see if you watch the demo, engage in a series of some intense arena fights, then finally conclude in a square marble chamber where verticality is used to dramatic effect as the series of battles demonstrates.

The Arch-viles at the beginning will probably zing players a few times, but they will teleport away when you exit, to places where they're guaranteed to cause at least mild frustration to you (save for one who teleports into a hallway some distance from the farthest enemy. From here, you're given all your weapons one right after the other so that you can immediately blast away at some Arachs and Mancubi, with some Revenants, Hell Knights, and dark Imps occupying the rocky floor, as well as some baby Cacos on one occasion I mostly took care to avoid shooting. The Azazels now appear in greater numbers, and managed to taker me by surprise once. The first ambush near the blue key wasn't particularly significant, but the yellow key ambush alternatively will use Fallen truly effectively for the first time here. Not to the same extent as the last room.

And speaking of the last room.....Arachnotrons and Hell Knights are on the ledges to the side. Perhaps you're intended to leave them alone though, as soon as you hit the first switch, an area will be lowered containing mobs of Hell Knights, Revenants, chaingunners and other enemies. There are also chaingunners firing at you from the corners, but you probably won't be able to hit any from the ground floor. An arch-vile also teleports in that I died a couple of times in attempting to foolishly charge, in just one more example of crappy gameplay for this particular session. You've got more room to run around everything here than you might think, use it! After this, hit the same switch again, or hit another one. I'm not sure, but at some point you'll raise a lift you can take to the upper level, dispose of the remaining chaingunners, fight off another Arch-vile at the exit and then immediately pivot and shoot some Fallen who killed me once to exit.

The best? Perhaps, but honestly, I could be doing better, emotionally that is, so idk. I forgot to set the complevel, which will probably affect playback in non-DSDA ports.

lmd_judg05.zip

MAP05 - “Incised Path”

Well the start was a nice change of pace. There is plenty of cover to move around (Even with 4 archviles), these teleport away once access to outside is granted. The rest of the level is linear, but there are some decent fights to get your adrenaline rushing a little bit. The archviles from earlier are drip fed during the rest of the progression, the first to block escape from the yellow key (The simple switch was too much of a freebie). The final room offered my sole death on this one, got zinged to many times by headbutting the wall instead of entering one of the cubby-holes. 

The map is rather rudimentary in its approach, but it was entertaining to play and the custom monsters felt like they had more of a presence here, especially the flyers with the revenant rockets, they are quite devious. Overall a solid effort here.

GZDoom/UV/Blind/Saves

100% kills and secrets

Time: 15:45 (a whole second longer than last map)

This map is a pure shot of adrenaline. The start with 4 archies and no weapons and ammo is scary. Even though I'm playing it continuous, after reading some of the other posts, I decided to play it like I was pistol starting. It actually wasn't too hard hitting the switches and avoiding the gaze of the flame bois. There's more than enough corners to hide behind. Escaping nets you a megasphere and the SSG, and then you can start dealing with the hordes. Lots of dark imps, mancubi, revs, cacos (and babies), pinkies, and a pain elemental will attack as you make your way around the center fortress. Going through the blue bars and into the yellow key fight nets you a close quarters fight with another horde. My first close call due to face rocket happened here. It's hard getting enough distance between you and the horde to use rockets, which is the best tool for this fight. The plasma works too, especially with the pain elemental. Hitting the switch to exit will send in an archie (maybe one of the ones from the beginning?). Smash the azazel to grab some health and a megarmor. The final room has multiple stages to it. First is some azazels, arachnotrons, and revs. Hit the switch to lower some walls with another horde. Cue second close call via face rocket. Thankfully, 2 soul spheres and a mega armor also lower during this. Now you hit 3 switches to raise the walls back up, with each unleashing an archie. Once all 3 are hit, you can ride a lift up to the upper area. With each corner you turn, cacos, hell knights, and fallen spawn in. Fell free to jump back down for some more room to run. Rocket the archie by the exit and you're done. I did backtrack for the secret, which is not very clear. Overall, very fun map. 

MAP 06 – The Stronghold

DSDA-Doom v0.24.3, UV, Continuous, blind run w/saves

Whoa, my task was to assault The Stronghold single-handed! Doomguy is used to such feats in his almost 30-year career, but he will not be alone this time. As a small treat, there was a dog in a cage just on top of the first elevator. This was my first acquaintance with Marine’s Best Friend, the helper dog that gave the name to Lee Killough’s 1998 source port. Even though its fangs were formidable, and his toughness could compete with high tier hellspawn, he was not of great help in this map, featuring rather big and chaotic encounters in wide open areas. It often got lost while idly wandering around and keeping it at Doomguy’s side until the final battle was tricky.

Spoiler

1031429905_JudgmentMAP06_01.jpg.7c0d8733ad35de6acf6de638ed712055.jpg

This is not a megaWAD inspired by TNT: Evilution, so no hitscanner hell will be found here. The first courtyard offered a warm-up fight against Revenants and Lords of Heresy; two different routes could be taken from there, leading to plasma rifle and BSK to the left, and to rocket launcher and RSK to the right. The arenas were large and full of enemies, ready to pop up on ledges and from pentagrams scattered around. Despite the large scale of the battles, they did not fall into the slaughter category because of their loose organisation, allowing for huge infighting, abuse of cover, and freedom of movement. The BSK wing was a bit too chaotic for my taste, with a deluge of homing missiles, Forgotten Ones, and various projectiles, that required retreating to the big column in the first area to interrupt line of sight. The other ambush, relying on hitscanners paired with flying monsters, Hell Nobles and Azazel turrets, was easier to read and fun to deal with. The Megasphere secret was nice, with the classic switch behind a switch, but I could not find a reason behind the other two secrets, related to two items placed on teleporters without much purpose.

Spoiler

917178724_JudgmentMAP06_02.jpg.39871003f26771c98fac9a59f637db31.jpg

The final fight on top of The Stronghold reminded me of Citadel at the Edge of Eternity on a reduced scale, but thanks to the open layout the surrounding panorama was a sight to behold. The Soul Sphere as a trigger was mystifying, and the first impression I got from that mass of monsters, involving Arch-Viles without much cover, was of a troublesome fight. I soon realised it was much ado about nothing: the trick was not fighting at all, and just run around in circles, eliminating only monsters that got in the way, such as the bouncing Baby Cacodemons, and making sure the Arch-Viles were hit hard. Thus, in less than a minute I remained with only the two Cyberdemons to finish off. An exciting conclusion to the first episode, set in a majestic marble fortress, it increased the scope of the encounters shaping them into interesting puzzles, like the quasi-pacifist final showdown. Excellent stuff.

DSDA-Doom 0.24.3, Rewinds, UV-MAX..

Wow. This map is GREAT! I'd say this is MY type of combat. Maps where you kill shit like it's easy, when Rayziik proves, it's gonna KILL ya a couple times. It makes you feel like a badass to win! That start was something. It feel weirdly easy, but scary. It's, sort of an adrenaline rush for no good reason. I'd say that 1st fight was when I knew, this level was going to TRULY judge me. I fucked it up. I spent 5-6 minutes not noticing there was a fucking LIFT that could lead to the exit. Fucking hell.

This map also looks great too! The rocky terrain surrounding the starting shack really mesh well! That fight at the end is rough. It took me a bit to figure out how to survive in it. Just glad I DID.

I'll give this map an A with a difficulty of B

Level Ranking: Map 05, Map 03, Map 02, Map 04, Map 01.

Difficulty Ranking: Map 05, Map 03, Map 02, Map 01, Map 04

MAP 06 - The Stronghold

What do the strong hold? And the weak what? Let it fall? This are the important questions in life. 

Oooh, pretty castle on the lake of lava! Secret berskerk to one side, secret blursphere to the other. Shotguns, minigun, backpack on the lift and a megaspher eI'll leave for later. Oh cute! A little dog! I enter one side, grab the plasma and carnage happens! I think the little dog died in the firefight. I can't go back, so onwards until I reach a switch, it raises some steps to another switch, that opens the way back. On the other side, the RL, potions, switch, mini-ambush on the other switch, switch, big ambush! Stepping stones, imps and pinkies, and a lift. Red key, can't find out how to reach the secret megasphere, so down, cross the bridge, grab BSK, initial megaspher eis now available again, grab that, switches. Blue, red, lift, and.. Oh fuck, yeah, because one cyber isn't enough?! Circle-strafing and a bit of infighting got rid of all other and then it was plasma until they melted. And now.. It's just the megasphere... 10 minutes after.. Oh! 

100% K/I/S, 0 deaths, 16:04

As always, be back monday for more!

Map 06: The Stronghold

The final map of the episode is set in a vast demonic fortress sitting in the middle of a lake in blood. Sitting at the end of a dock as you start, the sight of the building is truly imposing. Traditional green marble is mixed with the gray marble also prominent in this episode to create a truly spectacular sight.

Opening, you're confronted with a mass of enemies, along with a caged Wolf3D dog, apparently as a cute reference to the inspiration of MBF. I did my best to protect him in the initial wave, but unfortunately, he only lasts so long. I just feel bad for forgetting about him.

There are two different paths, though technically you really only have to take the rocket launcher one if you want the key.  I had no wish to test my sanity with that challenge though. The plasma rifle path is somewhat less deadly, and contains lion-head Barons, along with Hell Knights, Revenants on pillars rising and falling for basically no reason, and just enough Pain Elementals to make your life miserable. The rocket launcher path however, chucks Fallen, hitscanners, Hell Knights, and Azazel at you, with the latter standing out as managing to make you squirm in a way that they hertofore really haven't. It's also quite intimidating, what with the bloody stockades in the middle, and another frightening sight not coming to mind right now. You'll find the blue key at the other end here, along with a little square place with a few pinkies and a lift I failed to recognize right away because those heads really don't stand out much at all. The red key is at the top. Be prepared for an Arch-vile attack when you take the lift back down. I also ended up finding my only secret for the map when I exited and happened to see a switch behind the location of the yellow key, which lowers an easy-to-see Megasphere.

With both keys in hand, you lower some bars blocking a lift, and then take it up (probably missing the sight of the Cyberdemon head behind you) to an arena that screams 'large battle' with lots of round metal structures surrounding some shrines. Step onto the red platform with the Supercharge and two Cyberdemons teleport in. If it seems like you don't really get ammo, don't worry, far more foes will start to teleport in including masses of nobles, some Imps, Pain Elementals and two Arch-viles. On a side note, I'm really starting to appreciate Rayziik's Arch-vile usage: he knows just how best they can make your life miserable. Once this is over (and accidentally killing a Baby Caco or two, though most of them were mirdered in inifghting) it's finaly time to exit!

So yeah, best map so far I guess. Now I really gotta go. But here are some rankings first

Best maps in order of preference

Spoiler

Map 06

Map05

Map03

Map02

Map 04

Map 01

lmd_judg06.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon

MAP06: The Stronghold. Played on DSDA v0.24.0. PS, UV, 223/223 K, 3/3 S, 86/86 I. Comp. time 17:30

The fire episode comes to a close with a map that's comprised of a handful of arenas, a but like something maps provided us last month. Some of these felt hard, I died several times in both big arenas, especially the plasma gun one, where I also constantly ran out of useful ammo. I hate that.

Doomguy's best friend was cute, although at times doggo would get in the way and have me facerocket myself. But I think he did his part, even if I would have rather have had more rockets and cells at hand.

Aside from ammo starvation I did like the map, the arenas are energetic, it reminds me of last month.

Map 6: The Stronghold

102% kills, 97% items and 33% secrets 

Time: 9:02

First of all, that opening view of the castle surrounded by the bloody lake is jaw-dropping, and the rest of the map doesn't disappoint. That marble fortress aesthetic works very well and the Jimmy midi compliments it. The action is also very good. When you enter the fortress, you get a first fight that introduces the helper dog. After breaking his cage, he will help you in your task of killing demons. While he doesn't really seem very strong, he is very good to distract enemies and his death is  very sad. After 2 very fun fights with lots of teleporting foes, you can take the lift to the top of the fortress, where 2 cyberdemons wait for you. However, they are still accompanied by a lot of their friends including pinkies, archies, cacos, baby cacos and barons. Killing the siege cows opens the exit and ends the episode. This map is a great finale for Judgment's first episode thanks to its great visuals, midi and action.

Rankings:

Spoiler

Love:

Map 5

Map 6

Really Like:

Map 3

Map 2

Like:

Map 4

Map 1

Edited by tonytheparrot

MAP06 - The Stronghold:
A good closer to the first episode, the highlight of the map is probably the opening shot - an imposing marble stronghold in a sea of flame. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I should also have mentioned how neat the coloured torches on the walls are - they add a lot of colour and look great. The two secrets either side of the first lift are pretty lame though, I'm really surprised these weren't joined sectors. We see the introduction of the MBF helper dog, which I genuinely felt bad about releasing to help me - those pain sounds are not nice, though I guess it's better than leaving the dog in a cage. It seems to have a lot of health because it managed to survive the entire level, even tanking a few accidental SSG shots on my end. 

I didn't like the initial fight against barons (slowly SSGing 4 of them will never be interesting to me), but I suppose as a showing-off stage for the helper dog it works alright. After this fight, we're presented with a choice of two areas to tackle in any order, I chose the rocket launcher wing first, since I like it more than the plasma gun. The fights in these two wings are entertaining, but mostly come at you from one direction and have such a wide variety in monster types that after an initial "oh shit!" you're able to stand far from danger, spamming rockets as they cull themselves down.

The finale, however, is a different beast and I took my first death(s) of the playthrough here. Two cyberdemons and a large horde of various stuff spawns in, but the greatest threats are the two archviles that will teleport in near the end of the wave. There's really not much solid cover here, especially since you'll likely have at least one of the two cybers on you so dodging the rockets and the vile's flames at the same time proved to be a troublesome, but fun challenge. It's not too bad once you've taken the archviles out, and serves as a great closing battle to the episode. 

RANKINGS:

Spoiler

Really Liked: MAP02, MAP05
Liked: MAP06
Mixed Opinions: MAP03
Didn't Like: ?

Boring: MAP01, MAP04

(Don't take these as an objective measure of quality, they're just reflections of how much fun I had with the map after completing it and this could vary wildly for various reasons.)

MAP06 - “The Stronghold”

The opening shot sets the scene nicely, skip the initial monsters and move into either the left or right side of the perimeter. Each gives you either the rocket launcher or plasma gun. The combat in both is decent enough. Collect both keys and proceed to the top for what is probably the tensest fight so far, though the biggest threat comes from the two archviles that teleport in later on as of course you need a little luck to distract their attention from you.

The best looking map so far, the fights are pretty decent and the tone of "Keep it simple" that worked in map05 is applied equally as well here.

GZDoom/UV/Blind/Saves

100% kills and secrets

Time: 13:42

Deaths: 3

We open up on the best opening shot of the WAD so far: a nice view of the titular stronghold. You can find 2 of the 3 secrets easily by going around the stronghold before going up the lift. Taking the lift nabs you the SSG and minigun, a backpack, and more goodies, and at the top, there's a caged dog. Attack the cage to free the puppy. The pupper will then attack the barons and revs that spawn in, but it didn't last very long before dying. Idk if me hitting it a little while SSGing the baron it was going after helped since idk if it can take friendly fire. You got 2 paths to take. I took the east path toward the red key first. You get the rocket launcher on this path, and you'll need it for the swarm that shows up once you hit the two switches to raise the stone platforms in the lava. I liked the enemy placement in this fight, since in addition to the teleporting enemies on the main floor, you get 2 azazels on elevated platfroms and a bunch of hell knights back by where the RL was. Again, it's hard to keep your distance in order to use the RL effectively, but some running around causing infighting will help. Crossing the lava will send you to a lift with the red key at the top. One easy rev and dark imp fight later, and you can hit the switch to escape (check the back of the switch to find another one to lower the secret megasphere). Take out the newly spawned archie and head back to the fort entrance to take the other path. This path nabs you the plasma, and another giant swarm. Fallens and revs are the biggest threats with their homing rockets, though the pain elementals should be the first things to go. Shock troopers at the other end are annoying but great at causing infighting. Hit the switches, and cross to the blue key. Back at the front, use the keys to gain access to the lift. The final fight of the episode is where my deathless streak finally ended. Cross the soul sphere platform to lower 2 cybs. A few seconds later, pinkies, cacos and their children, revs, barons, and 2 archies will start to teleport in. All 3 deaths were from just trying to cause as much infighting as possible, but getting rocketed and/or flame blasted. It's not that difficult of a fight, but trying to break sight of archies can be tough as there's not a lot of scenery to hide behind. It's a super fun fight though. Kill the cybs and the exit is revealed. Step in to die and end the ep. Great final map for the ep. Overall, this ep was solid. I like the new additions to the bestiary a lot. The visuals were solid, and the general map design was very nice. There was some homogeneity in design in the middle of the ep that was kinda disappointing tho. Excited to see the next ep!

DSDA-Doom 0.24.3, Rewinds, UV-MAX, Pistol Start

Map 06: STRONGHOLD

HOLY SHIT! This is a fucking war and a half. To see that go up SO big.... It's intimidating. This map is HARD. Let's start with the rocket launcher fight. It has A LOT of enemies. It feels like I'm in a war zone against 80 soldiers, AND WINNING! It's the easier of the two gun fights by the way. Then we have some filler stuff, then we have the PLASMA GUN FIGHT. What a fuck-fest. The pain elements fuck you over bad, take them the FUCK out. It's also very hard to get around. After a while, the enemies die and you can kill the stragglers. The finale is scary. 20 pinkies start teleporting in, then a bunch of heavies pop in, including 2-4 archviles! It takes a while to beat each and every fight, and they're also a RUSH! It feels rewarding to beat it!

The visuals are amazing to. It gives such a menacing feeling to you, it's terrifying.

I'll give this a grade of S, with a difficulty of B

Rating: 06, 05, 03, 02, 04, 01

Difficulty: 06, 05, 03, 02, 01, 04

Episode 1 Ranking: Solid A

MAP05: Incised Path

Kills: 92%

Items: 90%

Secrets: 0%

Time: 8:28

Thankfully at this point, Incised Path is probably the most distinct map in Judgment so far in several ways, visually it takes on more of a vanilla-textured bleeding Scythe hell mixed with marble, and to make another Erik Alm comparison, the gameplay is more focused and direct. It gets off to a hot start, 4 Arch-Viles in a castle with only a puny rifle to defend yourself, then you can get outside and be aware of the plasma rifle, as picking it up will spawn in several Pinkies and Cacos of both variety. The star of the show is definitely the final fight, an exciting circuit of Dark Imps, Hell Knights, Revenants and Wraiths with rockets and plasma to spare. Nearly reminds me of Skillsaw. It is a bit confusing figuring out how to leave, but overall Incised Path is a strong map, Judgment needed a shot like this at this point

Grade: A-

Difficulty: C+

MAP06: The Stronghold

Kills: 100%

Items: 95%

Secrets: 0%

Time: 10:17

I really dig a map like The Stronghold. Similarly to MAP05, this is a pretty snappy and direct sort of map that never slows down. It still refrains from introducing new enemies but it does introduce helper dogs to the wad! They're completely useless in few here, it's mostly just to say they exist, The Stronghold contains a lot of the biggest fights in the wad so far, I'd recommend saving your rockets on the right wing, because you're going to need them on the left, the fight here is styled in a way to require the rocket launcher, however there's no ammo for it to be found here, so you may end up like me and be forced to use plasma. This fight is really solid overall, they use the plasma marines well here, they're surprisingly deadly being slightly above the ground. It reminds me of 1000 Lines 3 MAP03 from a few months ago. I also like the ending, it fakes out Tower Of Babel II with a mass of Pinkies, Revenants and those aggressive Barons up top, followed by an Arch-Vile and flying foes. Overall this map is great, a very dynamic ending to Judgment's first episode. :)

Grade: A

Difficulty: B-

MAP 07 – Arcaneum

DSDA-Doom v0.24.3, UV, Pistol Start, blind run w/saves

If a mapper wants to upset Book Lord, there is no better receipt than a forced pistol start turning into a hot affair in a large area with plenty of pursuing monsters, hitscanners taking pot shots from higher ground, and no clear reference points. I even missed the SSG in front of me on the first attempt. The trick was to take the first ramp of stairs to any terrace, kill some Chaingunners, find a better weapon, and begin a satisfying retaliation against the nasty welcome team.

Spoiler

951682314_JudgmentMAP07_01.jpg.d139a4390faa97706391953cafa63464.jpg

On the other hand, if a mapper wants to please Book Lord, he could dedicate himself to create an intriguing and charming forbidden library like Arcaneum. The first hall had a simple, cross-shaped plan, but the detailing was spot-on, especially the hanging red glyphs and the round hole in the ceiling. The idea was to use special sector tags triggered on MAP07 to unlock progression, but possible soft lock issues induced Rayziik to add switches with the same function. If all Mancubi were killed, or all switches were pressed, four new rooms became accessible containing Arachnotrons. The north-eastern quarter held the BSK as well, whose pickup triggered the first appearance of the Nightshades, slow phantoms that shoot bouncing green projectiles. The exit required all skull keys, so I continued my exploration southwards.

Spoiler

1331965721_JudgmentMAP07_02.jpg.f84bf5b97bd898edbf859446f3b8044c.jpg

The dark library was a top-notch Doom creation. The atmosphere was bone-chilling and the Nightshades proved to be hard to spot with dim lighting. The climax was reached when lots of wandering enemies were unleashed amid the labyrinthine bookshelves, emitting sounds recognisable as unsettling Arch-Vile gasps, or belonging to a new breed of zombies, that shared a sore throat with their brethren from Quake. Knowing that Former Brutes, armed with double-barrelled shotguns, were roaming the area was terrifying, but my only death came because I face-rocketed myself thanks to an invisible Spectre. The YSK was at the centre of the library, but once all Arachnotrons lay dead a walkway to the RSK was raised as well (in case of survivors in the first area, there were switches with the same effect). A classic Arch-Vile duo appeared to resurrect fallen bodies in the starting area, and the exit was guarded by two Azazel demons. I found the only secret by looking at the automap, and it was another quintessential design in the library context. I think everything was perfect in Arcaneum: the aesthetics, the progression, the combat design, and the atmosphere. Bugs have been amended by forum feedback, so there was only goodness to enjoy in my favourite map so far.

Edited by Book Lord

MAP07: Arcanaeum. Played on DSDA v0.24.0, PS, UV, 81/81 K, 1/1 S, 20/20 I. Comp. time 11:09.

I really hate it when the secrets are useful for survival, and yet I find them last, when it's too late.

Arcanaeum is a map that employs the familiar Dead Simple mechanics, and yet it doesn't feel like a Dead Simple level, but rather something from Going Down, just slightly less chaotic. Once again I found it best if I just plunge into the fray instead of systematically taking down enemies one by one. At least in the first arena, the second area is more suited for a more careful approach. Were the shotgun guys actually SSG zombies?

Difficulty wise this was an easier level than the previous, but then, it's the first in an episode, so it's to be expected.

Map 07: Arcaneum

The flavor text at the end of Map 06 told us we would be heading into a library, long known as one of many bastions of civilization. While I couldn't tell you if there's anything particularly medieval about a library (they've existed to some degree since civilization started to develop a sophisticated culture, I'm sure), the title of the wad suggests this was a thematically intentional choice. Although perhaps this place contains largely magic books since we just came from Hell.

Now talk about hot start. A perfectly symmetrical room with four raised balconies in each corner and openings facing the center, you acquire a backpack and SS almost right away. That's entirely necessary because you're attacked by pinkies and Mancubi almost right away, to say nothing of the Hell Knights and Arachnotrons in the balconies and chaingunners on the stairs. Strangely enough, no 666 tags are used, which is probably a good thing. If you don't feel like causing walls to lower at a certain speed, you probably shouldn't.

What's definitely featured here are two custom enemies, an overweight human enemy that has a nasty habit of getting close to you and drops shotgun shells, and this ebony floating wight that likes to appear in numbers, and in their last appearance, annoyed the ever-living hell out of me when two of them pulled a disappearing act and only showed up less than a minute later after I'd killed everything else.

They weren't as annoying as the pair of the Pain Elementals in the room with the red key that also introduced the new custom enemies though. I was not properly equipped to take them out forthwith, so the Forgotten Ones they spewed out hurt me bad before I was able to dispose of them. Not like the two Arch-viles here exactly did wonders for my anxiety either.

Though speaking of that, Rayziik's use of Arch-viles might actually be starting to get clever, whereas it just seems like they were placed to make you curse before. Although I'm not sure it isn't a too-clever-by-half situation.

On a related note, I was completely ignorant of the fact the carpet in this room you have to step on to access the red key. One of those stupid, yet obvious things.

When you collect all three keys, two arch-viles teleport in and somehow managed to hurt me very badly out of nowhere unless another ghost hurt me, I suppose. Don't fall asleep though, there's two Azazel at the exit. The secret ended up somewhat useless, although the cells did help to clean out the balcony. Honestly, I thought the shelves with red books probably opened something. It didn't near the shelf with the Arachnotron I ignored for a while because I wasn't in a position (vertically) to finish him off, but back in the main room, definitely.

Cool way to start off the episode by raising the stakes but generally keeping the tension in encounters.

lmd_judg07.zip

Map 7: Arcaneum

104% kills, 100% items and 100% secrets 

Time: 7:35

This map introduces Judgment's second episod with a great-looking library setting. However, when Rayziik starts a new episode, he doesn't mess around, he puts the player in the middle of a cross-shaped area while they are surrounded by pinkies, mancubi and chaingunners. This encounter is really exciting as you are constantly moving fast, dodging projectiles, finding new weapons and killing demons under the beat of an awesome midi. After killing all the mancubi, the map 7 mechanics kick in and some spiders and other goons show up. It also reveals the access to all 3 keys. The blue one is simple to obtain and teleports a new enemy, the nightshade, who has medium health, flies, and shoots projectiles that can bounce off the ground and ceiling. However, you need to get deeper into the library to get the last 2 keys, and that's where the pacing slows down and the map becomes less enjoyable. That part is dark, cramped, and full of annoying enemies like nightshades, revs, archies or the new former brute, or supershotgunner, who is a real pain in the ass. After grabbing the last 2 keys, just kill the 2 azazels guarding the exit and you're done. Despite the slight dip at the end, this map is still a good outing and a nice introduction to Judgment's second episode.

Rankings:

Spoiler

Love:

Map 5

Map 6

Really Like:

Map 3

Map 2

Like:

Map 7

Map 4

Map 1

Edited by tonytheparrot : Small correction about the nightshade

From vid description:

Played in GZDoom blind on UV with pistol starts, compatibility MBF (strict). I continue the 2021 Judgment megawad by Rayziik and finish the first hell themed episode "Step Into the Fire". I enjoyed the huge variety of fun and finely tuned combat challenges, as well as the numerous new enemies including the RETURN of the baby cacos! My favourite new enemy so far, they try to spring the cutest ambush on me of all time. Map 6 as the mini episode finale definitely lives up to being a finale by having a couple of the craziest, fully stuffed rooms in the wad so far. You gotta keep moving, especially with the new winged goatmen shooting 4 mancubus fireballs at once! Then it throws you a couple cyberdemons and archviles at the end to make you earn the next episode! Fantastic end to the first stretch, and looking forward to how things progress.

Not much to this one layout wise, a pretty serviceable layout, which uses some of the trademark mechanics of this mapslot. Plenty of action from the get-go with monsters swarming in, nothing too hard and there is a megasphere that will see you through most of the level. The library area at the back is a little cumbersome to get through, still it offers a more tense side to the conflict in the central area. The monsters behind the exit door are still just doors with health (Even if you dress them up differently). 

A reasonable start to the second episode. Nothing groundbreaking bar the extra monster types, but a fairly breezing and engaging affair overall.

Played with pistol-starts on UV on DSDA-Doom

Pretty nice huge hellcastle, it feels a lot bigger than it actually is. I love the monsterless trail that leads up to the castle. The helper dog is pretty funny. It has two fights that you can do in either order. Both of them are a bit messy, but fun fights. After them, you ascend to the top of the castle and face the final fight. I don't really know how you are ment to deal with the archies, I just ran away and let the Cybers shoot them to death. Visually the map is really nice. I liked this map.

I get hotel vibes from this one. The beginning part where you run around and hit all the switches is a lot of fun. After you venture into the library area, the map turns into pure frustration. It feels like the enemies that occupy the area are specifically chosen to be to most annoying combination possible, Archies, flying blocking enemies, a Pain Elemental, new stronger hitscanners and near invisible Spectres. I don't like that the map introduses one of the new enemies in a very hectic fight. It's a decent map, I really liked the first half, the second one not so much.

Order of preference:

Spoiler

1: Incised Path (05)

2: The Stronghold (06)

3: Blood Mountain (02)

4: Pit of Fire (01)

5: Arcaneum (07)

6: Temple of the Lost (04)

7: Ritual Grounds (03)