Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 43: Ezekiel

Welcome to another month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge that welcomes everyone, as long as you're willing to try playing Doom saveless. If that's the case, welcome! Come and join our party.

This month, participants will challenge themselves against Ezekiel, a 9 map limit-removing set released in 2018 and made by the team of 40oz, @AD_79, @Breezeep, @Memfis, and @General Rainbow Bacon. The project was supposed to contain 13 maps spread over 3 episodes, but only 9 maps (2 episodes + 1 map) were made and released. Each episode has a consistent theme, and the maps range from fast-paced combat to exploration.

Participants must play these maps on complevel 2 or Doom(strict).

The maps were released in episodes with 4 maps each. The zip file contains three individual wad files, but they can all be loaded and will play seamlessly. However, don't progress to Episodes 2 if you die in Episode 1 or Map 09 if you die in one of the earlier maps. In other words, dying on Map 01 doesn't mean you pistol start Map 05 and try your hand at the next episode.

Ezekiel starts at Map 01. Survival is finishing Map 09. There are no secret maps.

Download Ezekiel.

Congratulations to this month's winners (further details are in the post below).

UV: @dt_ (Runner-up: @NoisyVelvet)

HMP: @LadyMistDragon (Runner-up: @xX_Lol6_Xx)

HNTR: Pegleg (Runner-up: @kalaeth)

Spoiler

• Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file ezekiel1.wad ezekiel2.wad ezekiel3.wad -complevel 2 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEezekiel>

• Template for ZDoom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file ezekiel1.wad ezekiel2.wad ezekiel3.wad  +compatmode 2 -skill <x> +map 01 -record <IEezekiel>
      • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom

• <x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV
  • <IEnexcredo> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo.
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned.

Category System:

• Category 1: Blind run.
    • This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before. I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.
      • For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.
  • Category 2: Non-blind.
    • If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. (Just don't submit your first run.) If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submissions will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. Your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

When you submit your run, please the include the following information:

• The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • Whether you survived and the time of your survival
  • If you didn't survive, which map you died on
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g. "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. In you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

• Survival
  • Total time for survival
  • Map where you died
  • Time upon entering the map where you died
  • Total kill count in the map where you died

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 39 (Jan.): The Talosian Incident (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: PsychEyeball   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 40 (Feb.): Apokalypsis (Winners -- UV: Maribo   HMP: Goofy_1966   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 41 (Mar.): Breach and Brigandine (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 42 (Apr.): Nex Credo (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Andromeda)
Edited by Pegleg : Added monthly winners.

Category: 1

Difficulty: UV
Dead on: MAP02

Kills: 75/143

Time: 8:03

ie43_ezekiel_maribo.zip

Spoiler

Such a good start on Map01 wasted.

Watch this if you have 10 minutes and nothing else to do, Map02 turns into an absolute circus.

Here's my submission :3

Zip: 1IEezekiellol6.zip

Details:

Spoiler

Difficulty. Hurt Me Plenty

Died on Map02

Kills: 52/124

Time: 9:46

Port: PrBoom+ 2.6.2 -complevel 2

Decided to die like a champ and a sigma by relying on AV pain chance. Had I not, maybe I would have gone further, but I just didn't care at that point, I had enough. Reached MAP02 in 6:26, survived for like 12 further minutes, killed around 110 monsters out of 142. The best part is I saw the whole setup coming but after failing to trigger the pain chance for the first time I just didn't care anymore. Dead MAP02, category 1, UV, prB+ 2.5.1.4. 

ironeagle_may22_naza.zip

Spoiler

MAP02 on a whole feels like John Romero published a list of things a mapper shouldn't do when making a homage to Perfect Hatred, and the mapper who designed MAP02 took those as guidelines to make this map. Complete grind. My experience is somewhat muted due to not having a super shotgun until the 100 monster mark, but yeah, it generally wasn't a fun map.

Category: 2

Died on: MAP02

Kills: 138/143

Time: Exited MAP01 at 4:22

DWIE-05-22_Ezekiel_SCF.zip

My cat 1 run ended stupidly at the end of the first map so I gave it another shot, which only went marginally better. The first two maps are a bit of a slog, so I don't feel like trying to get a better finish.

Spoiler

Went with the classic strategy of "play very slowly and carefully, and then still screw up and almost die". Like trying to get the archvile to come up the lift only to fall down myself and fail to stun him.

I think the end of map 2 was hopeless after falling off, but I probably could've done better than walking straight into a rocket.

Difficulty: HMP

Died on: Map 05

Kills: 50/105

Time: 40:56

Notes:

Being killed from behind by a Hell Knight in what seemed like a breather map really sucks, though I thought I'd be a goner for sure after being horribly damaged by a hail of shotgunners in Map 01. Y'all sure know how to pick them, this was very good.

lmd_ezeleagle.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon

DEAD: MAP03

Category 2 (Not Blind)
Time of Arrival: 22:24
Time of Death: 24:45
Kills: 152/220

noisy_ezekiel_ironman.zip

I played this when it dropped a while back, and it's a good set.  Very grindy, but in a good Ultimate Doom - Episode 4 kinda way.  I died because a chaingunner on the right decided to not die when I threw a rocket at 'em and looked away.  I survived with 7% and almost got through the final fight by the skin of my teeth... almost.

Difficulty: HMP

Dead on: MAP01

Kills: 31/50

Time: 4:11

Spoiler

Quite ashamed of my run honestly...Dear Lord...

IEezekielHMPhc.zip

Category 1, HMP, PrBoom+

Dead in MAP01 with 44 kills.

Spoiler

I had tagged the Arch-Vile a few times as I backed up & gave ground to the Pinky Demon meatshields, so when I realized that I was almost out of shells, I just ran up point-blank and prayed for a stun. It didn't happen, and the miniboss defeated me.

I went back with saves and pushed through the first couple of levels - it's cruel, punishing stuff, but there's a method to it, and the brevity of its E1 levels makes it easier to stomach. Plus, the visuals are clearly trying to be evocative of Thy Flesh Consumed, so you're warned up-front about what you're getting into.

As always, thanks for organizing this monthly event; it's a great resource for trying out lesser-known mapsets which I might not have discovered on my own.

A thank you to everyone who came out and challenged themselves against Ezekiel. I hope to see everyone back for the next installment, along with a few new friends.

Without further ado, here are the standings for this month's IronEagle.

UV

1. dt_ (Map 04)
  2. NoisyVelvet (Map 03)
  3. Master Medi (Map 02)
  4. Maribo (Map 02)
  5. SCF (Map 02)
  6. NaZa (Map 02)
  7. Suitepee (Map 02)
  8. SnarkyChip (Map 01)

HMP

1. LadyMistDragon (Map 05)
  2. xX_Lol 6_Xx (Map 02)