Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Metal_Slayer

Make your own difficulty!

7 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

Isn't this just Ironman/Mein Leben from Wolfenstein or Ultra-Nightmare?

Why yes! Yes it is just Ironman mode. Also don't know about Ultra-Nightmare because I didn't play Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal.

16 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This thread has made me SO glad id were the ones crafting the difficulty settings (and their names), rather than you guys :^)

This is super similar to how "stealth enemies" work, the big difference being that they're invisible the whole time, other than their attack frames and their death animation. So maybe it could be called "stealth mode"!

"super stealth mode" then since they would still be invisible during attack and death. is there death match that is played in stealth mode? sounds like it might be fun :P

doom-bigupper-i-hate-running-backwards.png.25ba1e37a7dcbcf3264c9d16eb0052b0.png

Every monster is replaced with a fast Pinky. They also have twice the health.

1 minute ago, dotQLL said:

doom-bigupper-i-hate-running-backwards.png.25ba1e37a7dcbcf3264c9d16eb0052b0.png

Every monster is replaced with a fast Pinky. They also have twice the health.

You mean Serious Sam mode, with all the running backwards and shooting you're doing.

Just now, Zulk RS said:

You mean Serious Sam mode, with all the running backwards and shooting you're doing.

Yep! Name is even a reference to one of the games Serious Sam is in.

how would one actually make a new difficulty? any concrete examples and guides?

On 5/2/2022 at 12:29 PM, yakfak said:

i had a simple .DEH which redid the ammo count and capacity to be really strict and it made me notice how important armor was when you had to double back past monsters you couldn't justify shooting

Struggle: the Antaresian legacy did a similar thing, ammo capacity was slashed by about 30-40%. Made me switch weapons a lot more, a fairly good addition.

4 hours ago, CBM said:

For this thread? Just write whatever bullshit you want; it's not like most people worry about implementing their ideas.

Here's one difficulty for your consideration. I didn't feel like making a graphic for it.

Please, I'm playing on a toaster: every monster has a 50% chance of not spawning.

@Gez

Ok :)

well here is one then

"HELP! My PC is from the 90s"

same as "im too young to die"... but enemies only shoots half the time and can be killed by a single pistol shot

@OliveTree

Cool

5 hours ago, CBM said:

I don't think there's a way of doing it other than ZDoom source ports, if you try to use Dehacked to change one of the skill levels all of the others are also going to change, unless there's a new tool I didn't heard about, but if you are a source port developer there's probably a way of working around that. But like I said, the only example that I found was Unholy Massacre for LZDoom(I actually noticed the more recent versions had that mode removed).

1 hour ago, Gez said:

For this thread? Just write whatever bullshit you want; it's not like most people worry about implementing their ideas.

I think there are a lot of good ideas that could be implemented, but a lot of people just made shitposts and ideas that are too complex for just a skill level.

22 hours ago, HrnekBezucha said:

I would definitely do some tweaking to how -fast works, so enemies don't get nailed to the ground, shooting.

A couple mildly serious ideas on that front:

1) step counter is ignored with some form of RNG check, rather than unconditionally

2) step counter isn't ignored, but RNG for step generation is either weighted towards lower end or hardcapped at some low-ish value.

Better Watch Out. A difficulty that probably does slightly less damage than Ultra-Violence but forces you to play more tactically because many enemies have decent AI and you can't quite mow them down in the way you might be able to in slaughter/enemy-dense maps for instance. Except for pinkies of course.

On 5/2/2022 at 12:02 AM, Metal_Slayer said:

So, all the official skill levels of Doom basically go from easy with double ammo, easy, normal, hard, hard but enemies are faster, they respawn and there's double ammo.creen like all the others.

I think there could be a better "medium" difficulty setting. Because the easy/normal/hard settings are actually exactly the same, except for the placement of actors by the mapper. (and the Icon of Sin fire rate, if I remember, but who cares about that)

It would be nice to have a middle setting where ammo is normal, but damage is slightly reduced. It's kind of a big jump from ITYTD to HNTR, since your ammo is cut in half and your damage taken is doubled. I feel that on HNTR you should take 75% damage

Swarmed

Same as Nightmare, except:

- Monsters respawn twice as fast

- New monsters randomly spawn into the level (say 5 per minute random types)

- Every time a monster would normally respawn, two of it respawn instead

- Ammo is unlimited

I hate you.

Fast monsters are on, less ammo is placed on all maps, the player takes more damage, E.G Ultra-Violence. That's not all though! Backpacks aren't placed anywhere on this difficulty, respawning demons are on, and the best for last, only higher tier demons are placed in the map.

I don't know how people got the impression that damage gets higher depending on the skill level, the only difference is that I'm Too Young To Die has the damage halved, everything else is the same.

1 minute ago, Metal_Slayer said:

I'm Too Young To Die has the damage halved, everything else is the same.

Well damn, I didn't know that. That's some good knowledge.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, Sleep Deprivation said:

and the best for last, only higher tier demons are placed in the map.

wait, only the higher tier demons are placed?...............huh..... 

well

sleepdepr.difficulty.zip

It makes for some slow starts to mappacks ;P

Canonizes pacifist runs. The only usable weapons are your pistol and your fists. Neither do damage but they will alert monsters and activate switches.

nogun.png

On 5/2/2022 at 2:40 AM, gwain said:

or mabey even:

image.png.54a0570d9e0cd375b422bd6a966a3f63.png

something like that

John Mellencamp's official difficulty.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:48 PM, Nevander said:

John Mellencamp's official difficulty.

my own difficulty:

here it is

Spoiler

it's secret

doom-bigupper-aleph-n-u-l-l.png.b7ca61f032b27ed29f6a247e87510731.png

The Game Becomes 50 Quintillion times harder

anyone is 200 Septillion times stronger

You Are 25000% weaker.

mining costs 50 Trillion Gold!

I'VE GUN CRAZY!!

- You start with a random weapon with full default ammo

- 1 weapon limit + fists

- Every weapon pickup has RNG on what weapon replaces your own

- All weapon pickup sprites randomly change every second to resemble the wacky weapon mode

Could you imagine the chaos and imbalance this would cause? It may result in players relying on infighting strategy more.

I don't like this difficulty. Bad idea.

DoomGuy must Die!

-Every monster have the same health as UV
-UV Monster layout
-One hit and dies
-Bosses li