Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bri

Hydrosphere (6 level Boom mapset)

Really cool mapset! I only found a small issue in which the player can get stuck if they fall inside this small pit on map04

image.png.df4da83d029ae7f88d3cf3780a8f46b5.png

Apart from that, the maps were short and sweet!

I've updated the wad to RC4. Details can be found in the original post along with the download. There's a heap of not-so-obvious fixes and whatnot, but mainly it sorts out the ZMAPINFO specialaction command for co-op (I forgot to add a speed parameter :P). And also the most notable change is MAP04's ending fight, which I altered just to make it a bit more interesting. Hopefully this is the final update unless I've stupidly overlooked something again. :P

Thanks to everyone who left comments and found problems with the set.

I've been playing this on Ultra Violence and it's been a good hour or two of fun - maps are of an ideal size, and the action is pretty engaging. I died once in each of maps 03, 05 and 06, and think that maybe I should have played from pistol starts for a tougher challenge. I like the way you cater for continuous players by placing a decent amount of health in the exit room, but also for pistol starters by making armour readily available near the start of the levels.

I have had an issue with the end of MAP06, in that I can't work out how to lower the bars which presumably lead to the exit. I've killed the Cyberdemon, and registered 263 out of 264 kills overall (shot the chaingunners through the bars!). Spent a good quarter of an hour looking for a switch somewhere, but no luck. Could this be a bug related to the sourceport I'm using (GLBoom+)? Playing in Complevel 9 (Boom), which I think is the recommended setting.

EDIT: Yep, just replayed the map from a pistol start in ZDoom, and there was no problem with the bars...

950473095_Hydrosphere6.png.1c192c052bc69c7afd56e93bad179c8f.png

Edited by Summer Deep

22 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

I've been playing this on Ultra Violence and it's been a good hour or two of fun - maps are of an ideal size, and the action is pretty engaging. I died once in each of maps 03, 05 and 06, and think that maybe I should have played from pistol starts for a tougher challenge. I like the way you cater for continuous players by placing a decent amount of health in the exit room, but also for pistol starters by making armour readily available near the start of the levels.

I have had an issue with the end of MAP06, in that I can't work out how to lower the bars which presumably lead to the exit. I've killed the Cyberdemon, and registered 263 out of 264 kills overall (shot the chaingunners through the bars!). Spent a good quarter of an hour looking for a switch somewhere, but no luck. Could this be a bug related to the sourceport I'm using (GLBoom+)? Playing in Complevel 9 (Boom), which I think is the recommended setting.

EDIT: Yep, just replayed the map from a pistol start in ZDoom, and there was no problem with the bars...

950473095_Hydrosphere6.png.1c192c052bc69c7afd56e93bad179c8f.png

Thankyou. Glad you enjoyed it. The bug possibly could be to do with GLBoom+ if it's an old version maybe. But I honestly don't know. I've tested it in DSDA which is pretty much in the same family as PRBoom+ and GLBoom+, so I figure all of them would be able to read the boss action in UMAPINFO, but I'll look more into it.

If you're using an old version of GlBoom+ (e.g. 2.5.1.4 or 2.5.1.5), those predate UMAPINFO support.

Thanks for the above information. I'm a bit behind the times, and didn't realize my 2.5.1.4 version had become outdated. I've just downloaded PrBoom-plus 262 (win32), which apparently does have the UMAPINFO support, but it doesn't seem to come with the glboom-plus executable.

16 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Thanks for the above information. I'm a bit behind the times, and didn't realize my 2.5.1.4 version had become outdated. I've just downloaded PrBoom-plus 262 (win32), which apparently does have the UMAPINFO support, but it doesn't seem to come with the glboom-plus executable.

The developers figured there was no real reason to have two executables - fear not, you can still enable the OpenGL video mode in the settings.

Just finished playing this, had a lot of fun blasting my way through. Fantastic looking maps with detail that doesn't get in the way, coupled with high octane gameplay that keeps you pushing forward through short but memorable maps. Yeah, this will be one to replay for sure!

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Just finished playing this, had a lot of fun blasting my way through. Fantastic looking maps with detail that doesn't get in the way, coupled with high octane gameplay that keeps you pushing forward through short but memorable maps. Yeah, this will be one to replay for sure!

Makes me happy you enjoyed it. I always feel a bit nervous whether the composers of the midis will like the maps I put with them, heh, but I really dig your music. So thanks again.

There's somehow a flickering texture around Linedef 4596 on Map04.

I think Map05 could use a bit more ammo, like one extra box of shells.

Finished without saving. Only died once on Map06 to a Chaingunner (in the corner :P). Pretty fun compact mapset. Thanks for making it.

Edited by GarrettChan

14 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

I would actually recommend to get DSDA-Doom instead since it the defacto fork and continuation of PrBoom+ and has many feature that PrBoom+ 2.6.2 doen't have. The current PrBoom+ is in a maintenance mode and won't get any major features unlike DSDA-Doom.

Is there a download of DSDA that works 'out of the box' for Windows so to speak? All the ones I've seen seem to be source code versions that need compiling.

Also, I'm wondering why the exit bars operated normally for me when I played MAP06 of Hydrosphere in ZDoom (see my earlier post on this page). According to the DoomWiki, ZDoom is not one of the ports that supports UMAPINFO.

30 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Is there a download of DSDA that works 'out of the box' for Windows so to speak? All the ones I've seen seem to be source code versions that need compiling.

Also, I'm wondering why the exit bars operated normally for me when I played MAP06 of Hydrosphere in ZDoom (see my earlier post on this page). According to the DoomWiki, ZDoom is not one of the ports that supports UMAPINFO.

dsda-doom-0.24.3.zip , first post -> 

There is a ZMAPINFO lump, that's why it works in zdoom

Spoiler

specialaction = cyberdemon, Floor_LowerToLowest, 69, 12

Killing the cyberdemon the bars go down

Hey thanks for this, I had a lot of fun with it.

Youtube description:

Played in GZDoom on Ultraviolence without saves, pistol start. I almost UV Maxed this half but missed one secret on map 2, otherwise it's 100%. This was said to be loosely inspired by TNT which I'm not the biggest fan of, but I was pulled in by the screenshots and the short run times. These are actually quite fun compact levels that let you mow down waves of lower tier enemies in attractive techbase environments. This format seemed ripe for trying a saveless run to add some extra spice, and of course I take an early death after running out of ammo. And of course that is my only death of the run, including part 2. But no matter! The important thing is the hitscanners we kill along the way, and there are a lot of them!

More thoughts:

I actually almost UV maxed the whole thing (including next 3 maps), and I think I literally only missed a secret in map 2 lol.  That's too bad but I don't really care because I really enjoyed it.  Whole thing is pretty easy but saveless made it a lot more fun for me.  Part two up soon!

I really enjoyed this one, I think I might play it again and review it for my thread! Really nice "popcorn" maps, and the detailing style has that late-2000s baroque vibe, but in a good way.

I don't like the placement of this armor (forget which map it was on, one of the earlier ones I think), could it be moved off to the side so the player can hit the switch without wasting whatever armor they already have?

image.png.26b8c38183c47e864ba964f56ba8ac79.png

When I played this, I did so in MBF v2.04 and it worked pretty much flawlessly except for the UMAPINFO stuff. The sky would be easy enough to fix (just use MBF's alternate sky feature), but the boss action is a bigger problem. Well, it almost works in DOS! 😅

Thanks Sandwedge. I really appreciate that video and look forward to the next. I'm glad you like hitscanners.

4 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

I really enjoyed this one, I think I might play it again and review it for my thread! Really nice "popcorn" maps, and the detailing style has that late-2000s baroque vibe, but in a good way.

I don't like the placement of this armor (forget which map it was on, one of the earlier ones I think), could it be moved off to the side so the player can hit the switch without wasting whatever armor they already have?

image.png.26b8c38183c47e864ba964f56ba8ac79.png

When I played this, I did so in MBF v2.04 and it worked pretty much flawlessly except for the UMAPINFO stuff. The sky would be easy enough to fix (just use MBF's alternate sky feature), but the boss action is a bigger problem. Well, it almost works in DOS! 😅

Thanks very much. Good point about the armour; I'll probably move that in a future update.

9 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

These were great fun! And impressive that you build this entire WAD in just a month

Thanks buddy. I had the most fun building this one and it's nice to see people like it. I really appreciate the videos you posted, as well as yours @Clippy, so thanks again.

Really cool map as always!

I can't get over the beauty like forget doom these places look like cool well kept naturey places to be - too good for doom!

Bio & Sandwedge joined in 3x commentary!

^lol at clippy's thumbnail, was in a stream while he just kept adding more and more.  Unfortunately mine is a little plainer, lol.

Vid description:

Played in GZDoom blind on Ultraviolence with pistol starts, no saves. I was able to get 100% on the latter half of the wad (and only missed a secret on map 2) so clearly this is a fairly accessible mapset, but it's a ton of fun and looks beautiful. I never get tired of mowing down tons of squishy low tier enemies in pretty environments. And these maps never overstay their welcome, even if the last one tops out at around 20 minutes.

Anyway, absolutely loved it!

Egads! I forgot one side of the red door... how embarrassing. This is why I like videos; because I see stuff I completely forgot to fix. Anyway, thanks again @sandwedge. :)

1 hour ago, Bri said:

Egads! I forgot one side of the red door... how embarrassing. This is why I like videos; because I see stuff I completely forgot to fix. Anyway, thanks again @sandwedge. :)

No worries!  Thankfully that area didn't seem necessary so I think I only saw a medkit up there?  Not sure if that even needs to be a red key door at all unless I missed something.

28 minutes ago, sandwedge said:

No worries!  Thankfully that area didn't seem necessary so I think I only saw a medkit up there?  Not sure if that even needs to be a red key door at all unless I missed something.

its pronounced medikit

Another great adventure! @Dub Bag also visited and loved the scenery

good times

you were SO generous here!!

Love it.

I love the water industrial art direction, it gives the wad an iconic identiy.

The combat fits my preferences like a glove and I had overal a blast playing it I haven't had for a while.

I wouldn't expect more from a vanilla wad.

5/5

Really enjoyed these maps. The architecture, palette, texture selection and new sounds all work to create an interesting, cohesive set. The combat isn't too hard, but it was always engaging, and there's some cool set pieces and traps.

I played through all of the maps and found all the secrets. Map06 was my favourite of the lot, so I did a recording of it. My one dislike for this map is the area with the water spout and the ledge with the archvile and two mancubi on it. The combat here is a bit awkward. You basically get stuck ducking in and out of the sewer corridor slowly picking them off (and hoping the archvile doesn't wander over and start resurrecting mancubi). The rest of the map is great, loads of fun. I especially like the secrets in this map.