Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nova++

SQUENCHED AVACAUSAGE [Boom, v0.4, MAP01-MAP13]

So I still haven't done anything for MAP12 since that last picture, but as consolation, here's a selection of future map titles in my list of dumb ideas, in no particular order:

- Into The Vendingverse

- Friends

- The Meat Planet

- Texpo 2000

- The Dramatican Carsyle

- Wild Wild Web

- There's A Moon In The Sky (Called The Moon)

On another note, I think I am also going to write up some walkthroughs for each level. I try to keep them navigationally straightforward, but it can't hurt to have such material available. Plus it can help for secret hunting if you really get stuck. On that note, partly just writing it down for myself, I think it'd be nice to say something like "Secret #3 is in this area" and then have a section elsewhere listing the secrets. Not quite sure the best way to lay that out, but I'll try to work it out when writing it.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:26 AM, Vrhrlv said:

Really enjoyed this mapset, looking forward for more!

To try to describe it, I'd say lots of tricky layouts and interactivity (somewhat like Doom Zero, but different),

some dark humour and a bunch of varied punchy encounters, with the rest being quality incidental fights.

I'm glad to hear that, thats exactly the sort of thing I've been going for.

Edited by nova++

Really hoping I can get v0.4 released before the end of the month. MAP12 is coming along, and after that, it's just into the refinement stage...

Screenshot_Doom_20220716_164847.png

"look how many times do i have to tell you, i'm not dead, just undead"

"that's exactly what a dead guy would say"

I like making the player feel like they're interrupting some weird monster antics whenever they barge into an area

unknown.png

15 hours ago, nova++ said:

Really hoping I can get v0.4 released before the end of the month. MAP12 is coming along, and after that, it's just into the refinement stage...

Screenshot_Doom_20220716_164847.png

One of the tombstones, out of the way so you don't notice it too easily, should say "TEAR".

Yes, I have considered that... I probably will make a couple more gravestone textures and sprinkle them in randomly too

Okay! MAP12 is at or beyond the 95% completion mark, and with that, all the maps for 0.4 are playable start to finish, totaling around 1hr of new gameplay. I am now into the phase of making my guinea pigs play through it and doing the same myself, writing down many notes of little things that are incorrect or annoy me. End of july looking very achievable. Hopefully I don't regret saying that.

unknown.png

I've also revised the finale to MAP13 in a way that's less elaborate but still satisfying and, more importantly, works across ports. Hopefully I don't regret saying that either.

2 hours ago, Breezeep said:

Really nice looking shots! How many maps are you aiming for?

A full 32, someday... I have made it a lot easier for myself at least with the intermission maps, plus there will be some others that are smaller and more experimental (like the finale, I vow to never do an icon of sin clone). So with the current layout the intermissions themselves will reduce the "Real Map" count by 7. That leaves 24 if you don't count the finale but do count the secret levels. I have done 10 full maps so far... maybe I'll be done in 2024 or so.

IMHO I would aim for something like 15 maps, from what I've played so far, there's a few lengthy maps in this set and I wouldn't want anything that burns the player out from the sheer girth of it.

I wanted the intermission maps to be a natural bit of ebb and flow to it - a burst of 3 maps and then a good point to take a break and come back later. Even I can't marathon the thing. I am also trying to keep the "normal" map length around 10-15 mins or so.

Plus, by the time I make all my dumb ideas, I've had even more dumb ideas...

So, for better or worse, momentum seems to be carrying me toward 32.

...in the meantime enjoy some of the wall art I'm making to polish up MAP13

unknown.png

I can't believe I never noticed how bad the kerning is in the SquenchCon logo, the O and N are completely merged as can be seen in the banner picture:

unknown.png

So i had to drop everything and fix it. All is well.

My end-of-july date is unfortunately not going to happen, have been dealing with some stuff and I just havent been able to muster finishing any more of it yet. it will be ready when it's ready

I have to ask - how many people have actually gone and played it, and how far have you gotten? Most of the posts in this thread are mine and it would be nice to get more feedback than just people adding reactions to posts, I guess...

I've played the entirety of the the beta a while back. This is by far the most unique and unusual wad I've played. If you're looking for some more feedback, I'd stop by at The Entryway discord and shamelessly advertise your work there.

These levels are excellent, fun, unique, funny and have made the most bizarrely charming use of Boom features and custom textures I have ever seen. This is absolutely Cacoward material just from the levels I've played - everyone needs to play these levels, they're on the same level of consistent quality and entertainment value as Going Down or Infested.

On 8/1/2022 at 1:13 AM, nova++ said:

I have to ask - how many people have actually gone and played it, and how far have you gotten? Most of the posts in this thread are mine and it would be nice to get more feedback than just people adding reactions to posts, I guess...

Hey nova++. This WAD made me finally sign up for DoomWorld just so that I could write a comment on HOW AWESOME THIS WAD IS!

I've played through maps 1-8, haven't started on 9 yet, but absolutely loving it. It's very, very funny, your sense of humour is brilliant. Keep up the great work, can't wait for maps 10-12!

My only minor gripe is the way that you need to finish MAP01 took me AGES to figure out, I'm a bit dumb, I had to open it in a level editor to figure it out! It seems super obvious now but it's very non-intuitive for dummies like me.

Oh and MAP05 was absolute genius. Loved every second of it. That board room name still makes me laugh. Awesome fights & great designs.

I expect and hope you'll get more downloads and comments once the wad is complete - I really hope a cacoward is coming your way. 

I appreciate that - what was the trouble you had with MAP01 specifically? My first thought is the blue key being so far from the blue door.

8 hours ago, nova++ said:

I appreciate that - what was the trouble you had with MAP01 specifically? My first thought is the blue key being so far from the blue door.

I'll send you a DM to avoid revealing my stupidity.

As consolation for the delay I made a quick little preview video of MAP11:

Youtube's compression is butchering stuff lately, ugh. Can confirm it is not nearly as muddy swirly in game.

Edited by nova++

Getting back into the swing of things, getting some polish and fixes in... important updates include: more vending machines!2022-08-29_11-18.png.ae1af4daa417b261ed822753ce620a53.png

Just finished the new set of maps, great stuff as always! The stuff that happens in map 13 is something you don't see often in Doom. Slight nitpick, but these windows in map11 are bleeding through here. reducing the sector brightness of the inner sector can easily fix this. Keep it up!

1 hour ago, Breezeep said:

Just finished the new set of maps, great stuff as always! The stuff that happens in map 13 is something you don't see often in Doom. Slight nitpick, but these windows in map11 are bleeding through here. reducing the sector brightness of the inner sector can easily fix this. Keep it up!

HECK. I usually try to keep an eye out for that but that one slipped by, I'll write it down for the next time I poke through things

I gave this a go, I've played the first two levels so far. I love its quirkiness, the creativity in this wad is off the charts, and it's super fun to play :) The voodoo dolls scripting is top notch as well. Cacoward material without a doubt. 

FDA of MAP01, with deaths and all (with sporadic written commentary)

Spoiler

Will play the rest and keep posting FDAs.

I appreciate full playthrough videos a lot - helps a lot with material for taking notes, it's already going to lead to a few tweaks in these earlier maps

Spoiler

Also, the sheer amount of LUCK

2022-09-05_01-21.png.95551b27c13a2a266163047e5be493e2.png2022-09-05_01-22.png.0d401be3383bc0ad04bce8c5d8c89a02.png2022-09-05_01-22_1.png.99cff3cb60266035fbb0710a736ee572.png

19 minutes ago, nova++ said:

I appreciate full playthrough videos a lot - helps a lot with material for taking notes, it's already going to lead to a few tweaks in these earlier maps

Reveal hidden contents

2022-09-05_01-21.png.95551b27c13a2a266163047e5be493e2.png2022-09-05_01-22.png.0d401be3383bc0ad04bce8c5d8c89a02.png2022-09-05_01-22_1.png.99cff3cb60266035fbb0710a736ee572.png

I'm glad i'ts been helpful! I'll keep recording the rest of them (mostly during weekends though, my weeks are pretty busy :c )  

hahahah I know, right? Got a micro heart attack in that precise moment. 

MAP04 FDA:

Spoiler

I'm not sure if you're supposed to punch the first 2 archviles to death or if I missed something :P I guess you could somehow lure them into the brig, but the amount of RNG magic needed would be considerable.

Spoiler

I'm not sure if you're supposed to punch the first 2 archviles to death or if I missed something :P I guess you could somehow lure them into the brig, but the amount of RNG magic needed would be considerable.

Yes, you are supposed to trap them. It's not really RNG-heavy, if you hang out near the control switches they can't get to you and will run right into the capture area.