Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arrowhead

Gardeners of Doomworld

My Blue Frost Petunias started opening up today.

I especially love the tiny ring of pink around the 'blue'.

7CE1fE1.jpg

Gonna be planting most of my garden tomorrow, as the frost warnings have subsided.

:)

22 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Yeah, I grow mostly hot peppers and tomatoes mostly.  I'll have them outside soon and I'll have some pics.  Going to be growing them in pots.  

I'm excited to see them. I've got a ton of peppers growing this year. The one I'm most interested to try is my Vampire pepper - it has some beautiful black leaves.

• Nice!  If it turns out good and you want to do a seed trade let me know.  I've got some cool stuff growing myself including 7 pot lava chocolates, Chinese 5 color peppers, orange scotch bonnets, Ghor pions, some of the famous New Mexico chili peppers, and a bunch of the usual suspects like reapers, ghosts, cayenne, serrano, and others.    

37 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:
  • Nice!  If it turns out good and you want to do a seed trade let me know.   

I'd be interested in that idea, definitely. I actually have bought / harvested far too many pepper seeds and I don't know what to do with all of them - once we get closer to the fall, remind me again! :)

Just got nailed by a freak hailstorm last night.

Most of my flowers got wrecked, but a lot of them had closed buds, so I've got hopes for them still.

Peppers, tomatoes and veggies made it through relatively unharmed - had to run out in the storm and drag all my plants into my shed. Luckily they were in grow-bags, and not big heavy pots - if I had let them all stay out, I probably would have lost everything.

Most annoying thing of all, is that the hail part of the storm only lasted about 15 minutes.

Anyway, I'm a little annoyed, but not discouraged - this is what you get when you try to garden in northern Canada, haha.

:P

New apartment has an embarassingly large balcony which I'd like to fill up with some greenery, but it gets absolutely blasted by the morning sun. Can y'all recommend something for a complete n00b beyond "get a cactus lol"?

Japan, so maximum humidity and torrential downpours.

Marigolds or snowpeas would be cute. Irises to brighten the area up? Anything not too temperamental would be great.

A fair bit, actually.

I live in a historical italian villa, roughly 4sq km of garden - so yes, a lot of my time is spent on gardening, of the heavy duty variety: removing dead trees, trimming hedges and so on. Let's see... 

Spoiler

IMG_20180913_101902_779.jpg.1da33a5701c3109feca1c52b4bcea2bb.jpg

Again, no idea what the english name is - we call it a 'Judas tree' in Italy. Split right in half by old age, both sides still flowering every single year. Miracles of nature. 

IMG_20180929_103459_512.jpg.b026e617580a95c20e3baf5661820016.jpg

One of my darlings, my decades old tamerix. Highest branch grazes my second story windows.

18010072_629706587215332_2932432550637230444_n.jpg.a1affcfe2bdd4c091ae1e8f90fdc975e.jpg

A good chunk of the garden is kept pretty wild - it's just how I like it. Nature need not be constrained.

I do grow veggies but don't have a dedicated area - I literally just dump seeds around, the soil is so ancient and rich stuff grows on its own when rain bothers to drop. Have some really nice english roses this year, will post pics later today. Yet another dry summer so sufficient watering is going to be a problem. 

Edited by Thelokk

29 minutes ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Marigolds

Marigolds would probably do very well, they're also pretty hardy - so big changes in humidity won't bother them too much. I've grown a few different varieties, and have had the best success w/ 'Spanish Brocade' and 'Crackerjack'. They also distract pests to them, which in turn allows your other plants to flourish. I use them as a bait crop all the time around my tomatoes.

Peppers are very easy to grow - they're also extremely heat and drought resistant. Being a pepperhead, I'd recommend trying one of those. If a pepper 'dries out', it only makes the pepper hotter - a good thing in my books! Just make sure if you get a torrential downpour to bring them under some cover. Peppers don't like having soggy roots. I'm actually growing a Japanese variety this year, the Takanotsume pepper (sometimes called the Hawk Claw pepper).

Most herbs would probably do well in that climate, too.

25 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

I live in a historical italian villa, roughly 4sq km of garden

That's incredible - your pics look very beautiful. I've always wanted to visit Italy; my brother went to Rome last year. Especially love that 'Judas Tree'. I'd never heard of that phenomenon before.

7 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

I'd never heard of that phenomenon before.

Lots of species of trees can survive if the trunk isn't 100% split - even a tiny sliver is enough for lymph to flow and keep both pieces alive. A few will also slowly take root on the split side as well but I don't think judas trees do that.

@Daytime Waitress 

You should be able to grow just about anything then.  I'd recommend purchasing a few vegetable plants, maybe a couple of peppers and tomatoes and see how those go as they're pretty hardy.  For flowers you're right, marigolds would be good, also some sun impatiens would look nice if you have them around, and Salvia attracts hummingbirds if that's your thing and like a lot of sun.  

dnkdUJn.jpg

My zinnias finally opened up - probably my favourite flower.

qrdStSW.jpg

My 'Love Lies Bleeding' is doing very well, too - ignore the white edges of the leaves - it's still trying to recover after that hailstorm.

kqg398Z.jpg

I planted a bunch of bulbs here last fall, and forgot what I planted. I'm pretty sure these are crocuses - I'll know for sure when they bloom.

Just wanted to give a small update! Most of my peppers are already starting to bloom, too - I think I started growing them inside too early this year - but oh well, if I hadn't have grown them so big, they probably wouldn't have survived that storm, so it is what it is. :)

8 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

I'm pretty sure these are crocuses

Crocuses are spring flowers, and one of the first to emerge after winter. So no. Judging from he picture it looks more like onion-type flowers: large stem carrying a sphere of tiny flowers.

18 hours ago, Mordeth said:

Crocuses are spring flowers, and one of the first to emerge after winter. So no. Judging from he picture it looks more like onion-type flowers: large stem carrying a sphere of tiny flowers.

Hmmm, guess my crocus bulbs never took, then. I planted a variety of other bulbs, too - but lost the packaging, and have since forgot. Regardless, I'm sure it'll look nice in the end. :)

What kind of flowers do you grow?

I'm growing zinnias, petunias, marigolds, cosmos, snapdragons, lupines, love lies bleeding, and some Helen's Mount violas this year - and whatever that mystery flower is, haha.

I keep part of my garden 'wild' and, among a plethora of assorted flowers, this little guy cropped up - any idea what it might be? As you can see, pollinators love the everliving crap out of it. Really nice color too.

Spoiler

20220606_061649.jpg.31445db11603cc57e0afcf9eff72b4b5.jpg

40 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

No idea, it is beautiful, though. Almost looks a little like a poppy.

On 6/6/2022 at 6:19 AM, Thelokk said:

Reveal hidden contents

Google Image says this is a poppy flower, possibly Australian Shirley variant.

Fgi4icr.jpg

Some Zinnias, and a pink snapdragon. Really really digging the gold color this thing is. My Zinnias have also started to multiply, which is nice.

cB1sqcT.jpg

My Blue Frost Petunias have exploded - they're attempting to take over the pot! :)

Bright yellow flower to the top right is a Crackerjack Marigold.

Most of my peppers have started producing, too. But those still look ravaged from the hailstorm, so I didn't include them.

Just a little corner of my garden. Lately (mostly for metereological reasons, but not only) I have been shifting away from a flower obsession, toward a focus on general greenery / landscaping. It's very pleasant to have little nooks like these one can take a chair to and chillax. 

wC1Y54H.jpg

Just wanted to give a periodic update!

When we moved into this new house, there was this random lily plant - it would sit there for 3 years and didn't bloom - it finally decided to bloom today:

s8TRr9p.jpg

Not sure what variety it is.

My peppers are doing nicely - first one is a Bolivian Rainbow pepper, second is a Sweet Turkish plant, third is my Vampire.

Spoiler

cEjwkJb.jpg

0xCOnza.jpg

s06YPEJ.jpg

My 8-Ball tomatoes are starting to ripen, and my Black-Eyed Susans finally bloomed:

Spoiler

uIYndPV.jpg

7MogYsE.jpg

So yeah, things have been going pretty well.  :D

10 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

These all look gorgeous, Arrowhead, but why is there a mummified foot next to the green peppers?

That right there is the 'handle' to the door that leads under our deck. But now that you mention it, it really does look like a mummified foot!

Never going to be able to unsee that, haha.

qsJbEOn.jpg

P2X8yDy.jpg

dDIW3MD.jpg

Picked some peppers the other day, and finally got around to making some 'cowboy candy'. Turned out really well - they cooked down a bit, and I use it as a spicy relish.

First image is of about a third of my total peppers. The others are still trying to ripen - they might have time, depending on how kind our September is!

The middle pic is of a massive Thunder Mountain Longhorn pepper I grew - I included my sickly pale arm for size comparison. Still waiting on my c.chinense varieties, but I doubt they'll have enough time to fully grow. Oh, well!   :D