Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sup0088

How can I start making classic doom 1 mods

I really want to make classic doom mods and I have no idea how to and no google searches have gotten me anywhere. are there any tutorials to watch to make classic doom mods?

This depends on what you mean by classic Doom mods. Do you mean mods that run with the original 93-94 executables? Do you mean mods that use source ports?

Use something like Doombuilder 2 to make the maps, if you want maps in the mod. Slade works well for assembling all of the various maps, textures, graphics into a single wad or pk3 file for play and distribution.

I'd advice you to find some mods you like and open them in these tools and poke around and see how they are made. Start with something that isn't too complex.

How to make a level, using Ultimate Doom Builder:

If you want vanilla compatibility, MAKE SURE you choose Doom: Doom format, or Doom2 accordingly.

How to make vanilla-compatible wads:

All the programs you'll need can be found here: https://doomshack.org/doomtools.html

Hope this helps!

See what classic map designs look like and copy them, make sure you do it in Doom or Doom2 format compatibility.

I’d play some of the more classic styled episodes. Mapgame, Sinergy, A bulk of @Chris Hansen’s maps. They give you some inspiration and new ideas while still staying in a “classic” style