Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
erzboesewicht

WADs/Mods far away from the Doom/FPS formula

This thread aims to find wads where the developers went far outside the "doom formula". I have already read about wads that implement platform games (some are clones like one from Sonic, others are independent developments), and pure puzzle games like The Given or Moonlight. Then there are wads with quite exotic variations of the FPS formula - yesterday I discovered Superdoom, which implements the formula of Superhot (a puzzle-shooter from 2016 where time stands still when you're not moving nor shooting) with the (GZ)Doom engine - this inspired this thread.

The goal is to create a list of these mods, just like in this thread about standalone Doom games. I would limit the list to the following mods/wads:

• Those completely outside the FPS genre (e.g. side-scrolling platformers, fighting games and pure puzzle games)
  • FPS far outside the "doom formula", like those with exotic mechanisms (like Superdoom) or role-playing/action-adventure game elements like an elaborated inventory system.
  • It doesn't matter if it uses Doom assets or is a partial or total conversion.

I would exclude the "Wolfenstein"- and "Heretic/Hexen"-type mods as there are far too many and they're pretty standard FPSses, and also regular FPS doom wads with some puzzles (like FCFF or Eternal Doom) because they're also pretty common and even the IWADs had some puzzles.

Of course if there's already such a (updated) list please point me to it and I'll close this thread.

A short list (WIP!) of some I already found:

Platformers:

Puzzle:

• Moonlight (cryptographic/math puzzle)
  • The Given (wad with puzzles in a medieval-inspired "city")
  • ROOM ("pacifist" puzzle game with Doom assets where you only can harm yourself, not to be confused with a standalone FPS of the same name)
  • RainbowRubik (Rubik Cube)
  • Unknown (puzzle map)
  • Cyberdreams (puzzle maps to kill cyberdemons, vanilla-compatible)

Fighting/Beat'em up:

RPG/Action-adventure/Metroidvania/Horror:

FPS with exotic mechanisms or concepts very far away from Doom's formula:

Simulation:

Racing:

Other sports:

Mini games:

Doom-specific platforming and movement puzzles (e.g. rocket/AV jumps):

Survival/Invasion:

Other:

Edited by erzboesewicht

10 minutes ago, Alaxzandarz said:

Also, would stuff like rocket jump maps or archvile jump maps qualify?

You can't rocket jump in vanilla doom, only in ZDoom and its derivatives.

Rocket jumps in vanilla only give horizontal boost, but there are vanilla rocket jump wads like Sliw. (Vanilla as in not ZDoom)

But that doesn't really matter as this topic wasn't limited to vanilla wads.

42 minutes ago, Alaxzandarz said:

Also, would stuff like rocket jump maps or archvile jump maps qualify?

In theory yes if there's no shooter gameplay. However these kinds of maps are relatively doom-specific (above all AVJs) gameplay styles and I think there are also pretty many of them, so I'm still undecided.

Edit: I've added a category for "Doom-specific platforming", which can contain rocket jump and other "movement puzzles" wads, as long as these puzzles are the main focus of the wad and not only an addition to shooter gameplay. I'll add suggestions from you folks here but will not actively search myself for this category (they weren't the primary reason for this thread, even if I like some of these maps).

Thank y'all already for the fast response, I'm adding your proposals progressively to the list :)

Edited by erzboesewicht

3 hours ago, Drywtler said:

A ZDoom map would belong in this thread just fine, but you totally can rocket jump in vanilla anyway - horizontally. That's how you're meant to get to one of the secret levels in the original game, so you could say it's even more of a vanilla gameplay mechanic than straferunning.

Mr. Friendly:

A cozy Doom mod that radically repurposes any Doom level into an Animal Crossing-like nonviolent social space where each monster has a name and something to say.

A Boy And His Barrel has an exotic mechanic of protecting and moving a beloved barrel:

You've befriended (and apparently married) a barrel full of blueberry sauce named Violet, but the demons don't understand your love and will attack the two of you without hesitation.

Obligatory mention of Hideous Destructor, which changes gameplay formula quite dramatically by adding generous amounts of realism:

A gameplay mod that:

Slows the player down to more anatomically plausible speeds;

Adds and modifies weapons and adds numerous options to better emulate the behaviour of real-life counterparts; and

Beefs up various monsters and items for verisimilitude and difficulty.

Edit: also, Cyberdreams:

It is well known for featuring puzzles involving cyberdemons in each level, which the player is forced to solve without the use of weapons.

Edited by m8f

7 hours ago, Drywtler said:

The first videogame rocket jump happened in DOS Doom, not even in Quake. If you're talking about mouse aiming at your legs - it's slighty a different thing, actually.

16 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

If you're talking about mouse aiming at your legs - it's slighty a different thing, actually.

I was referring to that one yeah

10 hours ago, Sena said:

Also would survival/wave defense qualify? Because there's probably a lot there, but it probably wouldn't fall under 'exotic' since it's pretty standard these days.

I don't really know this genre :) Maybe you could post some examples. I think it could qualify as it doesn't seem to be close to the "Doom formula", at least not closer than the hack'n'slash/melee-oriented gameplay mods.

8 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

A ZDoom map would belong in this thread just fine

Of course ... in the OP I already listed some (G)ZDoom-only mods/wads.

32 minutes ago, erzboesewicht said:

I don't really know this genre :) Maybe you could post some examples. I think it could qualify as it doesn't seem to be close to the "Doom formula", at least not closer than the hack'n'slash/melee-oriented gameplay mods.

There was something like this that was released last year....it's called Objective: Survive.

30 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

There was something like this that was released last year....it's called Objective: Survive.

Thanks! I think it qualifies, as long as there is no exit/Romero head you can kill. The exit is a key component of the Doom formula, I think :)

Delaweare is still a FPS, however the focus is different:

The aim of the game is to explore its strange world to collect all music tracks.

Bike Time Trial:

the mod is simple, go trough the track asap and get the shortest time

Phobian Odyssey:

I wanted to do something a bit different and experiment to see if I could get a dungeon crawler style movement engine working in GZDoom. Then it snowballed until I'd accidentally written a whole JRPG style game in it.

(fiiiine, I'll do it myself) Typist.pk3:

Typist.pk3 is a mod for Doom engine games that turns them into typing exercises.

Uh... does Strife count?

It's an RPG FPS hybrid from 1996 that uses a heavily modified Doom engine and in it, you're not supposed to kill everyone that moves, as there are NPCs and allies all around. You can walk around towns and even talk to some NPCs. You can get money to buy many things and you can train to level up certain skills.

It is definitely an RPG, but also definitely an FPS.

It might play completely different from Doom, but it still uses the Doom engine, even using (and building on) the Doom map format. It still uses IWADs and PWADs, so I guess you could say that Strife1.WAD is a WAD far away from the standard Doom FPS formula due to its adding of several RPG elements like a level system, currency, and NPCs you're not supposed to kill.

More:

Kill 'Em With Kindness:

an intimate experience full of tiny interactions and surprises. It is a fully hand-drawn, wholesome environment in which the player waters flowers, pets their dog, and wanders around in nature.

Doom Mower:

It's been a decade since Hell's invasion, and you've settled down with a nice little patch of suburban land. Your perfect lawn, cut with military precision, is the envy of your neighbours and the apple of your eye. The Super Mower 9500, a retirement gift from the UAC, makes maintaining that pristine lawn a pleasure.

[ASMR] Doomguy Sensually Loads, Unloads, and Reloads his SSG:

Removes all (default) monsters and items, silences several sounds, makes the player immune to damage, gives them a Super Shotgun that does nothing but unload and reload.

20 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Uh... does Strife count?

It's an RPG FPS hybrid from 1996 that uses a heavily modified Doom engine and in it, you're not supposed to kill everyone that moves, as there are NPCs and allies all around. You can walk around towns and even talk to some NPCs. You can get money to buy many things and you can train to level up certain skills.

It is definitely an RPG, but also definitely an FPS.

It might play completely different from Doom, but it still uses the Doom engine, even using (and building on) the Doom map format. It still uses IWADs and PWADs, so I guess you could say that Strife1.WAD is a WAD far away from the standard Doom FPS formula due to its adding of several RPG elements like a level system, currency, and NPCs you're not supposed to kill.

I don't really think I agree with the 'play completely from Doom' sentiment. I actually find the fights to occasionally reach for some of the same compelling heights, but Strife obviously has far more mechanics.

2 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I don't really think I agree with the 'play completely from Doom' sentiment. I actually find the fights to occasionally reach for some of the same compelling heights, but Strife obviously has far more mechanics.

I think a core part of '90s Doom is its relative simplicity.

Even if something seems to have Doom-ish elements in its gameplay, if it has much more in addition like what Strife as, as far as I'm concerned, it's still completely different simply because of the added complexity.

13 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

I think a core part of '90s Doom is its relative simplicity.

Even if something seems to have Doom-ish elements in its gameplay, if it has much more in addition like what Strife as, as far as I'm concerned, it's still completely different simply because of the added complexity.

I think that's a matter of perspective. Although even compared to Doom, I don't think Strife is exactly "System Shock with better shooting mechanics", it just adds a few more things and changes the progression. If Strife added stats and such, I would be more in agreement with that opinion.

Strife added the exact minimum amount of "stats" to refer to them as such - one less, and it'd just be "a stat". I really like Strife, but I really wish I could play Strife with more strategy, more talk, more RPG.

Surprised Romero Death Skittles hasn’t been mentioned. Idle Doom is pretty far away from normal too.

Thanks for including my total conversion on the list! If you're curious, another I'd probably classify as simulation would be Fury's Sky.

Thanks for all contributions, it's becoming a nice list! I've had only time to try out some few but there are some awesome concepts to be found.

I'll not be too strict including wads, as long as there is some very distinctive concept it can be listed, so Strife was included, although it for sure is a "borderline" case. Another borderline case is Barbie Girl which looks quite doom-y as it uses mostly vanilla assets but is similar in concept to A Boy and its Barrel so I included it.