Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shibainumaster

Memento Mori 3(!) CP.

We'll discuss this on the server. The name will be changed, for sure 

Hi guys, I need to clarify something. Unfortunately, I can't edit the original post for obvious reason, and I'm just one of the lead mappers.

One of the most important goals that this project tries to pursue is a good multiplayer implemention in each maps. This was also why we decided to call it "Momento Mori 3", because the project emphasizes the multiplayer gameplay just like the original Momento Mori. You know, for nostalgia and stuff...

We must admit, this should've been mentioned in the original post so people would not get the wrong idea and think the word "Momento Mori" is not related to the project in any way.

We understand if you think we should rename the project anyway for some other reasons-- we appreciate your feedback. We're trying to figure out a new name at the moment, even though Shiba hasn't agreed to this as they are currently offline. (But I don't think they would mind). So, please wish us luck~

Edited by Dubium : grammar

3 minutes ago, Dubium said:

Momento

Aaargh!

("Memento", mem like in memory. "Remember you're gonna die." Not "remomber you're gonna die." :p )

If you're looking for a replacement Latin phrase, I suggest "Tempus Fugit". It means "time flies" and while that seems innocuous, it was usually found right next to "memento mori"... Your time on Earth is limited, be aware you'll be dead soon!

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Aaargh!

("Memento", mem like in memory. "Remember you're gonna die." Not "remomber you're gonna die." :p )

If you're looking for a replacement Latin phrase, I suggest "Tempus Fugit". It means "time flies" and while that seems innocuous, it was usually found right next to "memento mori"... Your time on Earth is limited, be aware you'll be dead soon!

I really like this suggestion! This might be the new name if we can get every lead mapper to agree on it.

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

Not "remomber you're gonna die."

N O   R A G R E T S

Posting in a skeletal thread

31 minutes ago, Gez said:

Aaargh!

I was gonna use a slightly memey name for the "small maps in the visual style of MM" wad that I've talked about heading a few times before.

One that I had in mind was "Momento Muerto", a bit of a parody on how many (including myself a long time ago) thought it was Momento rather than Memento, but it also translates to "dead moment" in Spanish which could be interpreted as referring to the dead moment in Doom history from which MM was created, a bygone era of different mapping tropes and unforged territory.

I still like the suggested name "Memento Vivere", Latin for "remember to live", which would also work well for the project I had in mind since part of the focus would be shorter and somewhat more "digestible" takes on the MM themes.

Please change the name. Memento Mori belongs to the 90s and the Innocent Crew. This project has nothing to do with that. Nobody would consider this a sequel of any kind to Memento Mori, except for the name.

Don't try to leech fame from legends of the past, earn your own.

30 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I was gonna use a slightly memey name for the "small maps in the visual style of MM" wad that I've talked about heading a few times before.

That reminds me. There's a third Latin phrase that often goes with TF and MM... Since life is fleeting, enjoy it while it lasts, and seize the day. That's "carpe diem". And "diem" in Latin is pronounced acceptably close to "D M" the letters spelled out. So if there isn't a deathmatch wad named Carpe DM, there really should be.

Now that I think about it, we could have a fun sort of thematic trilogy this way. Memento Mori had its focus on coop, "Tempus Fugit" would fit best something with a focus on speedrunning, and "Carpe Diem" with a focus on deathmatch.

16 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Please change the name. Memento Mori belongs to the 90s and the Innocent Crew. This project has nothing to do with that. Nobody would consider this a sequel of any kind to Memento Mori, except for the name.

Don't try to leech fame from legends of the past, earn your own.

Sheesh dude, relax. We already made it clear that we're changing the name. Mistakes were made. We aren't leeches, we were making a community WAD with the same design philosophy of co-op multiplayer campaigns. 

Let's seriously not get hung up on the name. We're working on it as we speak, and a new name will be chosen before long. This is a project that should bring the community together to celebrate a mapping style that isn't really popular these days. Just pretend the project doesn't have a name for now, and we'll keep you all posted.

I don't think the people involved with this were trying to "leech" on anything, I'm sure it was just good intentioned admiration for a duo of wads that they enjoyed playing and a wish to show their love in to it in a... flawed fashion. I suggest just waiting and seeing what happens.

The success of this project, like every other project will be down to the content, not the name. Well unless it is called ‘Alfonzo’s raving bongo party simulator’

Memento Mori was over 25 years ago. Times have moved on and plenty of successful projects have been made since without reliance on names of the past. So go a make your own piece of dooming folklore, maybe this project’s eventual title will inspire others after you.

Best of luck 😊

52 minutes ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Let's seriously not get hung up on the name. We're working on it as we speak, and a new name will be chosen before long. This is a project that should bring the community together to celebrate a mapping style that isn't really popular these days. Just pretend the project doesn't have a name for now, and we'll keep you all posted.

Fair enough. I reacted to the OP, and didn't know a name change was already agreed upon.

I didn't mean to suggest people involved with this project are leeches, just that using the 'Memento Mori' name or that of any other famous set to increase visibility should be considered a no-go. #plutonia3

the last 2 posts are like...what am I even supposed to think? "Alfonzo's Raving Bongo Party Simulator" is all I can really say even if the second is talking about plutonia...but I think Plutonia isn't dead a little clearly people enjoy it XD.

Let cooler heads prevail, my friends. 

Just now, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Let cooler heads prevail, my friends. 

and of course lets see where time will take this

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

"Momento Muerto"

“Momento morto,” the Portuguese equivalent of this phrase, sounds even closer to Memento Mori and might be a fun option.

Bet your ass I'll try and map for this. Don't write me up on the list just yet, but... oh boy I am considering. I have a MM inspired map I was working as a matter of fact, so now it will finally have a use, it seems!

You know what? Let me not be a debbie downer and strike something: if this project actually does manage to get picked up from the ground (keep in mind I was not even paying attention to the name significance when I made my first post), I will happily see to contributing a map. Where do I sign up and what's the preferred amount of time for a submission?

On 5/6/2022 at 4:43 AM, SynDoom said:

Bet your ass I'll try and map for this. Don't write me up on the list just yet, but... oh boy I am considering. I have a MM inspired map I was working as a matter of fact, so now it will finally have a use, it seems!

I hope you'll join  in soon.

I should have done this before,but here's the resource pack and MAP01 as an example (i suggest you look at the map in doom-builder too):

mmdemo1.zip

Edited by Shibainumaster