Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HavoX

Happy 30th Birthday Wolf3D!

Happy Birthday! and Happy Wolfing!

I wonder why the guys at Id went for a weird color scheme for the nazis, the SS would've looked a lot better in dark grey with a red armband than the smurf colored uniform they went with.

There also needs to be an Imperial Japanese and Facist Italy mods, killing nazis and mutants is always nice, but the other axis powers needs some murderous love too.

Feels like it was just yesterday I would watch my dad playing Wolf3D on the old 386 we had, mother jesting about him being a rooted pot.  I must have been in kindergarten at the time.

Amazing to see how the technology was somewhat "revolutionary" for the time but now with little effort anyone with an afternoon, some math knowledge and 2d graphics library could produce a similar engine.

May Wolf3D continue to be unforgotten.

I can recommend the MSU Super Nintendo Version.

Even censored it is much Fun with its new Soundtrack and it has Map Support, something you can only have with the modern Source Port!

Sorcery!

Another video game birthday is Plants vs Zombies. 13 years old.

I know it doesn't have to do with wolf, but its cool they share a birthday.

2 minutes ago, MemeMind said:

So concerns Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing

Wolf3D is good and I'm happy that one of ID's most iconic FPSes is having/ had it's 30th birthday!

The Nocturnal Missions suck, so it turns 30 I'm not going to be happy for it.

I started playing Wolf3D last week, it's friggin' awsome! Currently reached E1M7.

Always wanted to make a mod for Wolf3D. Pretty much I've failed all opportunities to finish it to this date, but we can always play the original one ;)

UPD: Uh, wait, actually, I did a map for Doom 64 community project!

tz2TArc.gif

Edited by Dexiaz

Oh my i completly forgot about that until it came in my notifications!

Wolf 3D is my top nazi killing game! always love it and will never hate it!

Happy Birthday, Wolf 3D!

I still play this game (and Spear) several times a year. Might even rock some of it later tonight in celebration.

God, am I that old !?!?

I used to play it with an AdLib card, then came the Soundblaster.  Aaaiiiiiiii  :D

Man it's crazy to think about it. I'm absolutely not old enough to have been there when Wolf3D was a thing, but from what scraps I've seen about the gaming landscape at that time it really was a bolt of action.

It's still fun nowadays, does feel like an arcade game with just how simple and self explanatory it is. Good for playing in computer class when its getting boring at least!

Even if it's quite outdated by today's standards, I still just enjoy the feeling of Wolfenstein 3D. There may be several more eminently enjoyable ways to play a Wolfenstein game nowadays (and I will defend '09's Ravenstein to my grave), but they wouldn't be there without the original... and even the original wouldn't be there without the ORIGINAL originals by Silas Warner, but I digress. HBD, W3D!

I remember playing it as a ten-year old on our 386.  My mom got the game from someone she worked with.  It was just the first episode, though.  I played it heavily for a little bit, as I thought it was an awesome game.  And a kid that lived next door always came over to play it. 

Congratulations on your 30th birthday Wolfenstein 3D.

May Hitler continue to be mercilessly killed for many more years. This is hands down the best part of that game.

Where it all started for me back in 1992. I still remember the computer, a newly purchased 386DX 40mhz from PC General, a now defunct New Zealand PC Builder. It was configured to load HDM, A DOS menu system, and had a bunch of shareware games loaded on it. I was going through them all, one at a time, and then hit the last entry - Wolfenstein 3D. Blew my young mind.

And the rest is history...

1 hour ago, PsychEyeball said:

May Hitler continue to be mercilessly killed many more years. This is hands down the best part of that game.

There is no such thing as too much nazi murdering.

6 hours ago, MemeMind said:

Also, Dogz 5 was ported to Windows in Russia on this same day. May 5th is a monumental day in gaming history.

MobyGames, whatever that is, has this cool "This Day in Gaming" section you guys can check out:

https://www.mobygames.com/stats/this-day

All you have to do is enter a date and it tells you year by year which games were released on the day you picked.

51CXPENEY9L.jpg

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

6 hours ago, Hitboi said:

I started playing Wolf3D last week, it's friggin' awsome! Currently reached E1M7.

Hope you can eventually play Spear of Destiny and the Mission Packs for Spear of Destiny. I love 'em!

Just now, Alex S. said:

Hope you can eventually play Spear of Destiny and the Mission Packs for Spear of Destiny. I love 'em!

I remember playing the first few levels of Spear of Destiny before truly starting to play the first game, and I do remember having fun so that should probably be in my to-play list!

Wait, there are mission packs for Spear of Destiny?! Never knew about these. Looking at some screenshots the graphic replacements look very interesting, and I like new graphics.

43 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Looking at some screenshots the graphic replacements look very interesting, and I like new graphics.

They are sometimes referred to as the "Lost Missions" but that's not really accurate, they're not lost just unpopular. And blue. Friggin' everything's hella blue. Buuuuttttt, they're fun and have good enemy design :)

7 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

UPD: Uh, wait, actually, I did a map for Doom 64 community project!

It cracks me up how the health goes to 0.

11 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

They are sometimes referred to as the "Lost Missions" but that's not really accurate, they're not lost just unpopular.

Yeah, I guess that's some sort of rare game subtitling like "Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels" (which is also a mission pack and also somehow a sequel).

15 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

And blue. Friggin' everything's hella blue.

Lmao you're right :D