Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HavoX

Happy 30th Birthday Wolf3D!

1 minute ago, Hitboi said:

Yeah, I guess that's some sort of rare game subtitling like "Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels" (which is also a mission pack and also somehow a sequel).

Lmao you're right :D

Yeah. It's weird but I think the gameplay is so "core" and pure that it is basically timeless. In many ways, I feel like Wolfenstein is significantly harder than Doom or most other Id games for that matter. Makes sense, since BJ's character was supposed to be "the guy who, against all odds..." and the difficulty really shows through that. A single well-placed shot from behind will zero you out; Far from the power fantasy that is Doom or Heretic.

8 hours ago, Solmyr said:

I wonder why the guys at Id went for a weird color scheme for the nazis, the SS would've looked a lot better in dark grey with a red armband than the smurf colored uniform they went with.

The blue uniform is completely hilarious looking. Not knowing about Wolf3d until I was a bit older, I thought the SS guys in Doom 2's secret maps were evil human-sized action-figures when I first found them as a kid, lol.

1 minute ago, Smouths said:

I wonder why the guys at Id went for a weird color scheme for the nazis

Id did not create the mission packs for SoD - All the blue goodness was made by a separate team at FormGen.

13 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

Id did not create the mission packs for SoD - All the blue goodness was made by a separate team at FormGen.

,:|

I didn't mention the SOD packs- but in those, the guns (and dogs?) were made blue and the uniforms were turned a more realistic grey, right?

Which is also hilarious, 'cuz it feels like you're taking on the Nazis with water-guns XD

Wait, didn't they also turn the brown guards lime-green?

I need to replay those, can't remember actually completing them.

2 minutes ago, Smouths said:

I didn't mention the SOD packs- but in those, the guns (and dogs?) were made blue and the uniforms were turned a more realistic grey, right?

Which is also hilarious, 'cuz it feels like you're taking on the Nazis with water-guns XD

Wait, didn't they also turn the brown guards green?

Ah, woops! I misunderstood you friend. You're spot-on in this case :)

23 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

Yeah. It's weird but I think the gameplay is so "core" and pure that it is basically timeless.

Just like Pong and Tetris, it's so simple that it becomes compelling and never gets old. I mean, it is the first true FPS (if you exclude the older games, e.g. Catabomb 3D) after all.

23 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

A single well-placed shot from behind will zero you out; Far from the power fantasy that is Doom or Heretic.

Who knew a single Nazi holding a pistol would be more powerful than a giant cybernetic demon, a robotic spider and a trio of sibling demons?

5 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Just like Pong and Tetris, it's so simple that it becomes compelling and never gets old. I mean, it is the first true FPS (if you exclude the older games, e.g. Catabomb 3D) after all.

Who knew a single Nazi holding a pistol would be more powerful than a giant cybernetic demon, a robotic spider and a trio of sibling demons?

Seriously?!?! I can hold my own in Doom on Ultra-Violence or Heretic on Black Plague but Wolfenstein 3D kicks my ass every time!

Here's how NOT to get good:

C:\>cd \wolf3d
wolf3d -goobers

Shift+Alt+Backspace, Tab+G

xD

1 hour ago, Smouths said:

The blue uniform is completely hilarious looking. Not knowing about Wolf3d until I was a bit older, I thought the SS guys in Doom 2's secret maps were evil human-sized action-figures when I first found them as a kid, lol.

Lol, they do look weird enough, and the Wolf3D themed doors and textures are so big, those SS might as well pass as human-sized-action-figures. It's even funnier when you look at how tall and imposing they are in Wolf3D.

Edited by Solmyr

I goddamn love Wolf3D. One of the first ever games I came to love, in fact - I can still play Wolf3D any day of the week and have a good time.

It was really considerate of them to get the game programmed and ready just a few months before I was born!

12 hours ago, Solmyr said:

I wonder why the guys at Id went for a weird color scheme for the nazis, the SS would've looked a lot better in dark grey with a red armband than the smurf colored uniform they went with.

3 hours ago, Smouths said:

Why, it was all for Wolf3D's Fisher Price tie-in, of course!

EGtbegMVAAAss16.jpg

In honor of the anniversary, I want to share my story of acquaintance with this game.

I got acquainted with this game a little later than Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D and even Hexen II - in 2004. Yes, at a time when the first Far Cry was already released, when third-person shooters began to dominate the entire planet and in the gaming industry. When 64-bit PCs were already gaining momentum. Why, when Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was already out (but this is already from another opera).
But the fact is that at that time in Russia computers for the majority of the population either continued to be a luxury, or if they were, they were already decommissioned, entirely from the 90s and late 90s, with 256MB of RAM, 4 GB of hard disk and Windows 95-98. And of the games that these computers could pull were either DOS or Windows 9x games, and then with a stretch.
Well, okay, digress.
In short, I discovered Wolf in 2004 (although back in 2003, at my dad's, I watched one of the workers play on the computer, it was Spear of Destiny). When I came across the "World of Quake" disc.
It is worth saying, however, that as a child I did not play the original Wolf. And in some fashion.
In the first, all opponents were replaced with characters from Mortal Kombat.
In the second - from Street Fighter.
In the third, the soldiers were generally replaced with Pac-Mans.
Well, the fourth is generally a strawberry. There, as some textures, photos of naked women and the processes of sexual intercourse were used. And after all, what is strange, I played it in the presence of my father, and he somehow did not notice all this. Apparently, the textures were so compressed that you can’t immediately make out what is shown there.
Unfortunately, in 2005, something went wrong with the disc. He didn't download the rar files containing these wolf mods. At first, only the fourth mod was loaded. And in the future, it also started with errors. In general, until 2009 I did not have the opportunity to play Wolfenstein 3D. Unlike Doom and Quake, which worked normally from the disk (well, it was possible to run rar files with them). For a long time, I only read information about the game on Wikipedia (there was also a section that described what the opponents looked like, what sounds they made, etc.).
In 2009, for the New Year, grandfather was given a double-sided disc, on one side of which there were games from the zeros, and on the other - from the 90s. And there in the list of arcades was the same Wolf. Only the second part - Spear of Destiny + Lost Episodes. Went through it many times.
Well, in August of that year, I discovered the games-history website (now closed), downloaded the original Wolf and played.
Such is the story.

5 years ago I tried to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Alas, I got stuck on a mission where you had to secretly get to the object, so much so that you were not noticed. Stealth mission, in a word. And she was invincible. And on RTCW I scored a bolt.

I think Wolf is a great game; with it's boxy level geometry and bright pixels it has this feeling of having been built out of lego bricks, high score and loot make it (i.e. nazi killing) appear lighthearted and I particularly enjoy the Adlib sfx.  I think back when I was a kid I enjoyed it a lot more though; these days i get a bit of nausea from navigating the mazes, and movement feels like I'm ice skating.

I was curious and tried Macenwolf last winter but it did not feel quite right...

Happy birthday, Wolfenstein 3D!

Let's not forget that Wolf3D was not just a landmark title due to its FPS gameplay, but its technology was also quite remarkable. It's unbelievable what kind of out-of-the-box tricks are utilized in the game engine to squize out every last bit of performance out of the 386 hardware, as described in Fabien Sanglards Game Engine Black Book.

I remember first being exposed to it through Doom 2 as a kid, being mystified by those murky brick dungeons with their ominous music themes. I emulated the SNES version and found it fairly fun, actually beating Hans Grosse was a real thrill because he usually killed me and I got by by the skin of my teeth there.

Couldn't get much farther though.

Then I found it on another computer we had, when I was like, maybe 9 or 10 or something, and I was like "Sweet, it's the actual real game itself, and it's not slow!"

I wasn't very good at it, just like I wasn't good at Doom, but I enjoyed it still, the mouse and good framerate made it easier than the SNES port. Finding Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom site was another revelation, I was too stupid at that age to get the mods running, but at least I could listen to the looping 'Wondering About My Loved Ones' while looking at the cool pictures and reading the flavor text, letting my imagination take me places.

Loved the cartoony aesthetic of oldschool Wolfenstein, it didn't seem goofy at all to me at the time, it even seemed gritty and serious to me at the time, what with the Nazi fighting and all. But the giant four-armed mutant man with a huge Gatling gun in his chest, the other big bad boss men with big armors and big guns, the Spear Of Destiny stuff, Evil Mecha-Hitler, I took it seriously, I found it all cool as hell. Still find it pretty cool, just appreciating some of the goofier aspects for what they are now.

I was born about a week after Wolfenstein 3D was released, so soon I'll have my 30th anniversay too. What a long ride.

Return To Castle Wolfenstein was also a huge deal to me as a kid, but its anniversary is for another day.

Edited by ChopBlock223

On 5/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, Solmyr said:

There also needs to be an Imperial Japanese and Facist Italy mods, killing nazis and mutants is always nice, but the other axis powers needs some murderous love too.

Those would be fun. One set in Russia after the war and featuring a Joseph Stalin final boss would also be cool.

Edited by ChopBlock223

12 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Those would be fun. One set in Russia after the war and featuring a Joseph Stalin final boss would also be cool.

Indeed, even more so if said mod goes down a wackier path, with stuff like stationary tesla coils that shoots lightning style projectiles, specialized soviet troops wearing hazmat and armed with lightning guns that behaves like railguns gameplay-wise, and human/chimps hybrids as stands in for the mutants. Also Stalin wearing a mech suit inside of another as if it was a matrioshka doll would be a mixture of cool, funny and challenging.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:57 AM, Smouths said:

Wait, didn't they also turn the brown guards lime-green?

They actually wanted to set the Trend with Weapon Skins ;P

Today I just beated the 3rd episode, I don't care for the Nocturnal Missions so I guess I technically completed Wolfenstein 3D. Hooray!