• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
didierbertrand

Zodiac demos [-complevel 9]

didierbertrand said:

zodiac map 01 uvspeed in 00:49

That's another interesting WAD you dug up, Didier. In Prboom+ you get a HOM at the intermission screen, did you notice? The directory has two consecutive INTERPIC entries. The first one is stolen from TNT.WAD, the second one is something obscure and apparently bad. The overall effect is kind of neat, though.

The WAD is in the levels/doom2/megawads dir but it's not vanilla-compatible. Even after fixing the flats directory, there are visplanes overflows in the first map. Not to mention Boom linedefs and a 3D camera thing. Finally I managed to run this demo to the end in Choco - in automap mode - and got a Bad V_DrawPatch at the intermission screen for my pains. What a clusterfuck. :P

BTW, vdgg is right about those bridge demos. Without the included DEH they are kind of pointless. You're supposed to go up against special boss monsters, not regular DOOM2 baddies; that's the whole idea of that WAD.

Never_Again said:The WAD is in the levels/doom2/megawads dir but it's not vanilla-compatible. Even after fixing the flats directory, there are visplanes overflows in the first map. Not to mention Boom linedefs and a 3D camera thing.

That probably explains why it refused to run at all in Fusion (MBF's most immediate descendant). Anyone got a fixed version?

Not sure about Fusion but I made this fix for the first half (map01-15 and 31) when we were running this in ZDaemon TNS. It mostly fixes multiplayer bugs (players getting stuck) but also removes the iwad contents, fixes titlepic and some other stuff. Zodiac Doom is actually a pretty cool wad, not exactly polished or well playtested but it has some epic ambitious maps with very impressive grand architecture and at times pretty fun slaughter-ish gameplay. I loved playing it online, wanted to fix all maps but never got around to it for some reason. Maybe one day. It would be nice to make it accessible for more players.

Thanks! Fetched and look forward to giving it a shot. It does sound like a fun WAD.

Generally speaking if it plays in MBF/BOOM it will play in Fusion. The one thing that gives it fits is some texture bug that's VERY common in Doombuilder maps -- such a map produces not-found errors and won't run. :(

^

Map 09 UV-Max in 5:14

zd09-514.zip

Tried to get sub 5 minutes for quite a while, I think the best attempt I had was 4:57 but I somehow didn't get the secret even though I got the megasphere.

Map 17 UV-Max in 17:39

zd17-1739.zip

Ooh boy, this one took me a minute to survive.

Zodiac UV-Maxes

Map 04 in 4:00 zd04-400.zip

Skips a secret because the sector is too small to trigger it.

Map 10 in 18:40 zd10-1840.zip

The length of this one comes down to having to punch like 200 pinkies with 6 health.

Map 11 in 23:13 zd11-2313.zip

Skips one pain elemental because I couldn't find a way to wake it up.

Demos require the fixed version to play back: ZodiacFix.zip

Edited by elmle

Zodiac dump - You're gonna need this patch for the demos to work properly: ZodiacFix2.zip

Map 12 UV-Max in 8:54 - zd12-854.zip

Map 23 UV-Max in 12:21 - zd23-1221.zip

Map 24 UV-Max in 13:58 - zd24-1358.zip

Map 25 UV-Max in 12:47 - zd25-1247.zip

Map 26 UV-Max in 11:09 - zd26-1109.zip

Map 27 UV-Max in 18:23 - zd27-1823.zip

Map 29 UV-Max in 28:50 - zd29-2850.zip

Map 31 UV-Max in 19:48 - zd31-1948.zip

Map 23 plays back fine with just the original wad, the rest do need the fix.

Most effort goes to map 31 clocking in at about 11 hours and four finished runs, I was only hoping to get like a 22 minute time but luckily ended up with a sub 20.

Second most effort goes to map 27 or 29 with four plus hours each, both are a bit of a doozy.