Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kain D.

Melodeath (7 map Boom miniwad) Final

Great animated skybox. I saw this promoted in a youtube video. I wish there was an universal mod that could put this in all wads- hehe. Good work.

I tested the first map and half of the second in UV.

This is great stuff! When I started I almost had an heart attack when I saw the monster count and then the tons of zombiemen spawning.

At first I thought this was just a hateful and annoying slaughter map with arena/invasion stuff, but luckily I was wrong (I usually hate slaughter maps).

I think this is how slaughter maps should be made, cause it has been really enjoyable to play (at least the first maps).

Like you said, it's not hard, I could easily finish the first map in UV with no trouble at all, but I never felt bored during fights, it is always a pleasure to have massive infights x)

Maybe you could almost cut half of the health in UV though.

Last suggestion is about progression: is not very clear where the player have to go and since the map is quite big, it becomes a bit of a pain to navigate blindly and have to backtrack when you take the wrong path.

For example: I found the megasphere (?) secret, but to get it you have to drop off the cliff, so I missed (and forgot about) the other route up there that was necessary later on and I had to backtrack the empty map feeling a little lost.

I loved the "jumping platforms", slightly wonky, but wonderfully made, but the cooler thing I've ever seen is probably the "mystic" room with pushers, really fun stuff to see the fireballs behave in that way.

About aesthetic I have almost nothing to say, there are so many very well made details that is almost a shame that I haven't explored everything properly and the mix medieval/dark fantasy + techbase is really well implemented with both texturing and architecture.

Even though I think that in some areas you overdid with the mix and it gave me an over-chaotic feeling.

The only thing I hated is the inescapable (?) lava crack in map 2, where I died (and I didn't have the time to restart, cause I didn't save once).
Overall, it is really a wonderful wad for now, please go on :D

2 hours ago, Kan3 said:

but luckily I was wrong (I usually hate slaughter maps).

I don't exactly like slaughter and that was the main idea for creating these maps.

2 hours ago, Kan3 said:

I loved the "jumping platforms", slightly wonky, but wonderfully made, but the cooler thing I've ever seen is probably the "mystic" room with pushers, really fun stuff to see the fireballs behave in that way.

Jumppads already appeared in my previous wad, so this isn't something new.

As for "mystic" room scroll/move action is combined with fake sector. Normally this is used to teleport flying enemies(usually cacodemons), but during development of this wad I discovered, that projectiles are also affected.

Thanks for feedback :)

New maps have arrived(finally).

I consider this a Release Candidate.If there aren't any issues, I'll view this as Final.

Oh, yes, gameplay mods aren't recomended.

EDIT: Recently the newer version has been uploaded. The only difference is that Map 05 has been redesigned.

Edited by Kain D.

Idgames link is avalaible, the verion here is considered final.

What can I say about the project? I don't like slaughter maps and I wanted to play some. Sadly there was nothing intresting from my perspective, so I decided to create it.

It shouldn't be difficult to figure it out what was the inspiration for the project. You could say, that this is slaughter map sub genre that tries to be melodic rather than challenging.

During testing were also involved people, that also don't like slaughter maps.
I think as a concept wad this is successful, although some parts could be done better.

Testers also pointed out features introduced with this wad. Some of them were planned to be in Sign of Torment, but were cut for various reasons. I guess 32 map behemoth megawad isn't big enough to fit them all.

Here's the list of the features that weren't in SOT, but are in this project(if I didn't forget something):

1. Items are placed in mid air  

No fake sectors or self. ref. sector are used for this effect.

2. Cacodemons are teleported in mid air

This is rather an evolution of the previous feature.

3. Light strobe effect
4. Fountains emit sound

These two are in other wads, but weren't in SOT.

5. Projectile move(mystic effect)

I don't know how to call this feature. It is explained above, something I discovered by accident during creation of this project.

The rest were already in my previous wad. I think I've said it countless times: "Boom format have 30% of its features, that are completly unused". There are still unused features that are "waiting" for another project.

Congrats on the release! Can recommend giving this a go for something a bit different, with some interesting new mechanics and clever use of boom features.