Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mankubus

How to enable the wide classic bar?

wf6kib6tqjx81.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

I mean like that. The modern ports i've tried either have nothing on the sides or that ugly green texture. It just should look like that by default on all ports.

I also like this one:

in-switch-gzdoom-v4-disponible-1.gif.88d

But not this:

doom2.png

Edited by mankubus

The widescreen graphics are added on to the game with recent versions of GZDoom - are you playing in other ports?

1 hour ago, mankubus said:

wf6kib6tqjx81.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

I mean like that. The modern ports i've tried either have nothing on the sides or that ugly green texture. It just should look like that by default on all ports.

This widescreen status bar graphic only existed since September 3rd, 2020. What you are seeing in other ports is what actually is the original statusbar (which is only 320 pixels wide), surround by the original border graphics as it was not made for widescreen.

If you are running the v1.9 IWAD the widescreen graphics physically do not exist. And depending on the port you're running, these graphics may be incapable of being rendered anyway as widescreen statusbars were not a thing for the ~27 years prior.

I wish id had just used FLAT5_4 as the border, rather than GRNROCK or the marble one in Doom1:

FLAT5_4.png

If the little border graphics were recolored to grey from green, it would have been oddly "widescreen ready" well before the era of widescreen. Oh well!

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I wish id had just used FLAT5_4 as the border, rather than GRNROCK or the marble one in Doom1:

FLAT5_4.png

If the little border graphics were recolored to grey from green, it would have been oddly "widescreen ready" well before the era of widescreen. Oh well!

Is there any way to change it without replacing the green texture though?

Or is it hardcoded into the engine?

I was just wondering that myself, opened up DeHackEd and sadly couldn't find GRNROCK among the strings anywhere, which means it can't be changed through traditional means. A damn shame.

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I was just wondering that myself, opened up DeHackEd and sadly couldn't find GRNROCK among the strings anywhere, which means it can't be changed through traditional means. A damn shame.

Chocolate Doom seems to consider it a dehacked string. https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/blob/52c05f4028fb90d8928ea4a4a2bf9ea261ec157c/src/doom/r_draw.c#L808

You might be able to replace it the same way through the usual string replacement method.

6 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Yeah, Hexen is the only game that uses a texture that fits its HUD. I wish I could've changed Doom and Heretic's because they're damn ugly.

10 hours ago, 7Mahonin said:

Maybe use this and it should work for other ports:

or this

It doesn't work for me, I get the green things on the sides still. Im using the 16_9 zip with 1080p.

7 hours ago, mankubus said:

It doesn't work for me, I get the green things on the sides still. Im using the 16_9 zip with 1080p.

As I previously indicated, are you running a port that supports widescreen assets?

On 5/7/2022 at 12:06 AM, Edward850 said:

As I previously indicated, are you running a port that supports widescreen assets?

gzdoom

On 5/8/2022 at 5:34 PM, mankubus said:

gzdoom

No Doom status bar was included an any wads people linked you, and GZDoom seemingly doesn't include one. However you can just use the official one; Simply load the Doom.wad/Doom2.wad as an IWAD, provided in:

\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\rerelease\DOOM_Data\StreamingAssets\doom.wad or

\steamapps\common\Doom 2\rerelease\DOOM II_Data\StreamingAssets\doom2.wad

Assuming you have Doom on Steam. Or you can just use the official port to make things far less complicated.

40 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

No Doom status bar was included an any wads people linked you

The one I linked in my post above works fine for me (granted, I didn't test in GZDoom, but it works in dsda-doom).

21 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

The one I linked in my post above works fine for me (granted, I didn't test in GZDoom, but it works in dsda-doom).

Not the one in the post you linked, didn't have a base doom status bar at all. Though it was packaged unhelpfully as a bunch of autoloads (I simply will not use mods that way) so I probably just missed it in the soup.

13 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Not the one in the post you linked, didn't have a base doom status bar at all. Though it was packaged unhelpfully as a bunch of autoloads (I simply will not use mods that way) so I probably just missed it in the soup.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:15 AM, Shepardus said:

Load the WAD from the "doom-all" folder.

I imagine if one wants this badly enough they can follow the instructions and extract the wad from the zip file.

speaking of FLOOR7_2 and GRNROCK... are they actually/frequently used in any map?

I'm considering making a pwad which replaces them with two all-black flats but I don't want to end up finding black walls somewhere

Edited by Delfino Furioso

19 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

speaking of FLOOR7_2 and GRNROCK... are they actually/frequently used in any map?

I'm considering making a pwad which replaces them with two all-black flats but I don't want to end up finding black walls somewhere

I think there are no unused textures so it should be somewhere.

Some clarification:

For GZDoom, the Doom status bar was specifically (and deliberately) not given a widescreen extension because, to my eyes, the status bar already ends "cleanly"; there's some 3D beveling right at the edges, instead of being abrupt cut-offs like the other games. Moreover, I felt like, adding an extension to the sides of the Doom status bar kind of makes it look like there's supposed to be information laid on top of them, but they're empty.

Much respect to other artists of other ports who have extended it, but from my personal artist POV, I saw it unnecessary.

As others have pointed out, if you really want a widescreen status bar, you can take them out of the Unity port.