Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oliacym

Doom 2 Intermission Maps (COMPLETE)

Those are really atmospheric high quality graphics. Good job. Thanks to the high res versions it's also possible to make more jagged versions.

Although I can't help but wish that each building was an accurate representation of each map. But it doesn't make the execution of the idea in this form any less cool.

9 minutes ago, Pixel Fiend said:

I can't help but wish that each building was an accurate representation of each map.

I really like that some of them sort-of-but-not-quite fit, especially The Citadel. I always felt the same about Doom I's, you get an impression from the building shape on the map and from the name, then when you get in the name maybe-sort-of still fits but the inside of the building looks nothing like the outside. And most of the time of course the map doesn't look anything like the name anyway XD  If anything these are much more fitting than id's, I especially loved some of the ones in the city (Factory, Downtown and Suburbs are exactly where you'd expect). I also really liked the representation of the force field on the E1 map, and you can even see it on the edge of the E2 one.

@oliacym I have a question about aspect ratio. Both standard and HD versions are in 16:10, but all of Doom's 320x200 gets squished by the engine into 4:3 and the latter is how they're supposed to look. Did you design everything with this in mind, and does this mean the HD versions should also be squished into 4:3 to look the way it's meant to? I haven't been able to find a way to get GZDoom to change the aspect ratio on HD images, it'll only do it automatically for 320x200 images. I did experiment a bit with the intermission script. If I manually resize the HD images to 4:3 (1440x1080) then add a single line "SCREENSIZE 320 200" to each of the scripts, the blood splats and "you are here" signs keep the same size as with the standard images and appear in exactly the right spots (without this line, the sprites are tiny and cluster in the top left of the image). I just wanted to be sure that's the intended appearance you had in mind.

They look so cool. I like the first intermission screen the most. It looks like a mix of styles out of Starcraft II and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun. 

These give off what Doom's Earth is supposed to be according to the backstory in the manuals; a technologically advanced world that has advanced space-faring capabilities, the second intermission shows this better because of its large Millennium Falcon style ships. But at the same time they look more fitting for a Doom 64 style version of Doom 2, or for noiser's Doom 2016 style DeHackEd mod.

1 hour ago, Pixel Fiend said:

Although I can't help but wish that each building was an accurate representation of each map. But it doesn't make the execution of the idea in this form any less cool.

I definitely hear you, and I did try to work in a little of that every so often, like with 'O' of Destruction, there's a vague attempt to make a circular structure. The trouble I found was many of the Doom 2 maps are so abstract I found it hard to visualise what they would look like, so I pretended each map was a subset of the locations on display. But yeah, I took liberties for sure :D

7 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

These give off what Doom's Earth is supposed to be according to the backstory in the manuals; a technologically advanced world that has advanced space-faring capabilities, the second intermission shows this better because of its large Millennium Falcon style ships.

Ah thank you! I actually worked from the manuals yeah! Hence the big ships and the flame barrier.

7 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

But at the same time they look more fitting for a Doom 64 style version of Doom 2, or for noiser's Doom 2016 style DeHackEd mod.

Yeah, definitely. Probably because of the 3d origins. If I was a more skilled spriter I would paint over them and make the thing look a lot more authentic, perhaps in my next life I will have more time :D

1 hour ago, brick said:

@oliacym I have a question about aspect ratio. Both standard and HD versions are in 16:10, but all of Doom's 320x200 gets squished by the engine into 4:3 and the latter is how they're supposed to look. Did you design everything with this in mind, and does this mean the HD versions should also be squished into 4:3 to look the way it's meant to? I haven't been able to find a way to get GZDoom to change the aspect ratio on HD images, it'll only do it automatically for 320x200 images. I did experiment a bit with the intermission script. If I manually resize the HD images to 4:3 (1440x1080) then add a single line "SCREENSIZE 320 200" to each of the scripts, the blood splats and "you are here" signs keep the same size as with the standard images and appear in exactly the right spots (without this line, the sprites are tiny and cluster in the top left of the image). I just wanted to be sure that's the intended appearance you had in mind.

Honestly, I never tried the HD versions in game, those are purely the rendered images. But I will research this a little and see f I can get them working, then get back to you. Short answer - I had no plan regarding the HD versions :D

7 minutes ago, oliacym said:

Honestly, I never tried the HD versions in game, those are purely the rendered images. But I will research this a little and see f I can get them working, then get back to you. Short answer - I had no plan regarding the HD versions :D

Sorry I wasn't clear at all. I did get the HD ones to work (and they work great). I was just wondering about the 320x200 ones you made, the ones you use, if you had taken into account the way the game changes the aspect ratio of 320x200 images when it display them. To elaborate, this is how the images look in 320x200: Doom 2 - Map 01.pngDoom 2 - Map 02.png

but this is how the game will display because of aspect ratio correction (and this is also how it would have looked in the original doom.exe):

image.png.5f977a0e947bb6d931c9323d61198503.pngimage.png.869b0d459e798f4b7cd7fc0489ad5b17.png 

I was just wondering which one is the intended look, top or bottom.

On another note, I saw you mention in the other thread the idea you had for the secret levels and I love it.

Thanks again for the great work!

1 hour ago, brick said:

I was just wondering about the 320x200 ones you made, the ones you use, if you had taken into account the way the game changes the aspect ratio of 320x200 images when it display them. was just wondering which one is the intended look, top or bottom.

Ahh right, sorry I getcha. I gotta confess I wasn't taking the stretching into account at that point, although I've been reading up on it since. But originally I rendered them to fit to 320x200 and then just trusted they would look okay.

However, if you need a specific size just let me know, it won't take long to re-render them. I'm still a bit noob with the technical aspects, but if you just tell me what size you need to make it work I can take care of it. :)

I'm really liking these! I'd be pretty neat if you can produce widescreen versions of these, so they fit with the rest of widescreen assets that already exist. The images would just need to be 560x200 for that.

You know what would be cool? If any of these user-made E4, Doom2, TNT or Plutonia intermission overworld maps got id's attention and were featured (with credit and commission) in any of the future classic DOOM re-releases... 

1 hour ago, printz said:

You know what would be cool? If any of these user-made E4, Doom2, TNT or Plutonia intermission overworld maps got id's attention and were featured (with credit and commission) in any of the future classic DOOM re-releases... 

It really bugs me that maps weren't kept as a standard throughout the series, yeah. It hit me when my kid was asking where the map was in Doom 2. He was looking forward to it!

On 5/6/2022 at 7:35 PM, brick said:

I was just wondering about the 320x200 ones you made, the ones you use, if you had taken into account the way the game changes the aspect ratio of 320x200 images when it display them.

Good news, the file is now updated with versions that, once Doom stretches them, they should appear the correct aspect ratio. New HD versions are on their way... :)

On 5/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, Sylandro said:

I'm really liking these! I'd be pretty neat if you can produce widescreen versions of these, so they fit with the rest of widescreen assets that already exist. The images would just need to be 560x200 for that.

Ah thanks for this - I will see about widescreen versions in the next day or so.

Just updated the download, now they should appear with the correct aspect ratio. The widescreen and HD versions are on the way. I also improved the Hell map a bit.

I really like these.

Ultimate Doom/Episode 4 has had a fully functioning GZDoom intermission screen lying around for a while (thyinterpic). I've intergrated it into my Wadsmoosh and it still works fine.

I look forwards to your animated versions. Also; is that Avatar of yours from Blasteroids? Gosh I remember that game. XD

37 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

Ultimate Doom/Episode 4 has had a fully functioning GZDoom intermission screen lying around for a while (thyinterpic). I've intergrated it into my Wadsmoosh and it still works fine.

Yeah it's pretty perfect, never play without it :) it's actually more in line with the original style than my ones.

39 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

Also; is that Avatar of yours from Blasteroids? Gosh I remember that game. XD

Hell yes, a person of culture I see. "MUKOR RULES ALL GALAXIES"

Updated with widescreen versions, and intermission pics for MAP31 and MAP32.

Next will be the widescreen HD versions and then the dreaded animation... :)

These look great! Thanks, you’ve filled a gap that had been nagging me since 1994 :)

17 minutes ago, DavidN said:

These look great! Thanks, you’ve filled a gap that had been nagging me since 1994 :)

Ha! You and me both :)

Edit: I actually really enjoyed doing these. Might do No Rest for the Living or Final Doom next.

I just tested out the new HD version and I'm delighted to tell you that it seems to work perfectly. Both the SD and HD versions are at the correct aspect ratio and align perfectly against each other. I think the marker positions moved a bit compared to the initial release, but it's only a handful of pixels at most and it really doesn't matter. The new HD images look even better with the extra real estate on the sides. I also really like the new Hell one, Bloodfalls in particular has lost that plastic sheen and looks great now! The secret levels additions are great too, MAP31 one in particular looks awesome. I can't believe how quickly you're pumping these out, especially considering the quality and detail. I'm really glad you're doing animations next, and will be even more so if you decide to also animate the HD versions, those will look even more phenomenal then.

I noticed one small hiccup introduced in the MAPINFO when you remade the newer versions. You added the line include "mapinfo/doomcommon.txt" at the beginning, but this should not be there, since it's already initialized in GZDoom's internal mapinfo files in gzdoom.pk3 and should not be repeated in customer user mapinfo. It doesn't cause any real problem I think, just generates a few warnings on startup, but you can safely take it out.

I'm glad you're having fun doing these and so happy you're sharing them with us. If you do end up doing NRFL and Final Doom eventually I will definitely use those too. Thanks for the wad and the beautiful intermissions.

Pretty neat, I especially like the one before the Nazi castle. It's so atmospheric you can practically hear the Nazi scumbags shitting themselves in terror at his approach.

7 hours ago, brick said:

I just tested out the new HD version and I'm delighted to tell you that it seems to work perfectly. Both the SD and HD versions are at the correct aspect ratio and align perfectly against each other. I think the marker positions moved a bit compared to the initial release, but it's only a handful of pixels at most and it really doesn't matter.

Perfect, thank you for testing this out!

7 hours ago, brick said:

I'm really glad you're doing animations next, and will be even more so if you decide to also animate the HD versions, those will look even more phenomenal then.

I'm actually doing the HD versions first and then scaling down, so HD is a guarantee :)

7 hours ago, brick said:

I noticed one small hiccup introduced in the MAPINFO when you remade the newer versions. You added the line include "mapinfo/doomcommon.txt" at the beginning, but this should not be there, since it's already initialized in GZDoom's internal mapinfo files in gzdoom.pk3 and should not be repeated in customer user mapinfo. It doesn't cause any real problem I think, just generates a few warnings on startup, but you can safely take it out.

Ah I will remove it, probably a hangover from the original code. Thanks for the spot.

Okay, added animation to Map 1, normal and HD version. That was HARD lol. But the others should be a lot easier now I know what I'm doing.

3 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

My friend, these are incredible.

Absolutely and to the extent I would be psyched to see your take on all 4 episodes of Ultimate Doom and probably Sigil and NRFTL.

9 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

My friend, these are incredible.

Really appreciated, thank you. :)