Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
galileo31dos01

Guess the Map! [17th Edition] (Final results)

Previous editions: click the links until you get there

Welcome back to our little game! The idea is simple as hell on earth, you see screenshots of map layouts from the widest pool ever that is doom content, and you're free to guess as many maps as you can. Each map will belong to a different wad to make things varied and interesting, and they can belong to Ultimate Doom/Doom 2, Final Doom, Heretic, commercial and non-commercial PWADs from those games, and partial/total conversions as well. The difficulty of the guesses will generally grow gradually but in contemporary times, with spikes and thorns here, there and everywhere.

Important notes:

- Answers MUST be hidden in spoilers, no exceptions. If you don't use the spoiler option, your guesses won't count.

- You may resort to the search bar, web pages, or whatever assistance in case you're not 100% sure of the wad and/or slot but feel like you've seen the map before. 

New hints: May 11th

Answers revealed: May 15th

KzRhOde.png

Spoiler

1. Brings a very resourceful texture pack and the color olive together

2. A memorable setup is in the middle leftmost area, with a lot of vibrant green on the floor and from hell knight fireballs in the dark (cacodemons are present too) 

3. CRI

HPs3Wp1.png

Spoiler

1. Few crates mazes have been as claustrophobic as this one

2. After ousting the last baron in the maze, your bruised up ass has to contend with a blinking cyberdemon on more boxes

3. RUS

zHorfxo.png

Spoiler

1. There is a mysterious wall-door in some lightless area that doesn't conduct to anywhere special

2. My favorite feature is the chain of secrets to the west, a radiation suit followed by a chainsaw and something else outdoors

3. OOM

G4mWs3a.png

Spoiler

1. An epic journey as you mop up hordes of hell in order to reach the top of the hills 

2. The BGM is from Rise of the Triad, think of a very well-known fitting track according to my first hint

3. LLB

2hgvCk5.png

Spoiler

1. The final battle in this contemporary wad, beginning with a tight brawl in the subway 

2. When heading out of the subway station, you can see two moons in the deep blue horizon, likely familiar if you know your '90s wads

3. ONLI

xxN6DkW.png

Spoiler

1. Exploring around and under the trees is beneficial to your wealth 

2. If you stand on a certain fire located around the mountains, the level will end

3. VUL

4SWHQvQ.png

Spoiler

1. The easternmost portion is a sort of interlude in this industrial zone, in which you inevitably "shrink" to get inside the incinerator

2. On the appropriate video mode, you'll get a psychedelic, daytime skybox to accompany through some tumultuous encounters over toxic residues

3. DYST

668oY9Z.png

Spoiler

1. Starts in a war zone, with the idea of collecting dropped clips in order to dispatch the brain

2. Orange is the main colour in the map, while the three secondary colours prevail in the wad

3. NIGM

6paYSJW.png

Spoiler

1. The introduction of the chocolate-mint flavored cluster in the wad

2. My favorite set-piece is right in front of the exit, clusters of imps advancing from one side while chaingunners rain bullets on the upper right, not to forget pain elementals running interference as well

3. NLU

UTtseCx.png

Spoiler

1. Those malevolent, wide arachnotrons won't let you take a sip of your drink 

2. The closets on the perimeter keep the mancubi safe until you snag the plasma gun in the centre

3. FFEE

AXVwgPb.png

Spoiler

1. One of the keycards requires climbing to the top of several constructions in the mapper's usual flair

2. In fact, the beach coast to the west is accessed via a leap too, just gotta find a good spot somewhere in the city

3. PLEX

PRaPWUK.png

Spoiler

1. A mapper's personal reinterpretation of a classic cauldron-themed map

2. The atmosphere is in flames, an actually animated skybox, how cool!

3. VING

gJHX5dZ.png

Spoiler

1. The four-way elevators in these mines have been reused in a Heretic episode by the same author

2. The chasm and bridge before the exit area is a setup somewhat reminiscent of "Well of Souls"

3. FRA

Gcy9GDX.png

Spoiler

1. An extremely complex, huge-scaled single map that could easily be divided into three separate maps, as each major area is a whole world in itself

2. Whether it's daytime or nighttime in your zone, you will experience the whole cycle within minutes in the map 

3. SANC

l5Xpr5C.png

Spoiler

1. An almost entirely roofless crisscross of techbase elements and irregular shapes, with not too many things as the title might imply

2. The skybox is from a Sega Genesis game called "Alien Soldier", have fun with the search bar! 

3. TNES

pZveB3K.png

Spoiler

1. This was released standalone in 2019 along with a reality-centric map 

2. Previously found in a Doomworld Megawad Project, about a year before

3. TANA

tHGpRfv.png

Spoiler

1. The little boxes in the middle are actually barrels, they've been "locked" so you can't jump or fly over them

Uh, those are solid wooden pillars actually, the barrels are though spread in the room, and you can actually fly over them... my bad!

2. A factual hint: said barrels would help immensely if they were explosive, given the amount of blade attacks and half-dragon pepper breath you have to skip past

3. RETI

OOAUGTD.png

Spoiler

1. A suspicious teleport next to the start takes you to an open yard with spectres and spiderdemons, though you don't have to arrive there so early

2. That's just one of multiple dirty tricks the mapper pulled out, like instant pop up barons on red platforms, or inadvertently teleporting your ass under a cyberdemon's crotch 

3. GINN

SwRB8EA.png

Spoiler

1. A rejected submission to an official compilation, it's the last one the mapper offered 

2. The outer ring's progression is clockwise and straightforward, while at the start you have a simple keys puzzle involving jumps on metal and wood

3. IVE

vhPWVtw.png

Spoiler

1. This middle map is what gives the overall set its eponymous title

2. Very much red bricks and rocks, the key colour of the map in more than one aspect

3. MSON

GVF6iVB.png

Spoiler

1. Gotta exercise those puzzle muscles to open some FIREBLU bars and claim your red keycard (skull key, oops)

2. Although the wad was designed by two people, I know one of them is a MM enthusiast, who actually didn't make this map in particular

3. LUTE

gA5zH6S.png

Spoiler

1. Concrete was slightly modified to have snow on the lower border, except it tiles horribly vertically

2. You will have to run an old installation program first if you want to see the ugly snow in the maps

3. XMA

77A3YfU.png

Spoiler

1. Troopers and sergeants must have felt really comfy in these headquarters, as there's a theater, a swimming pool, a soccer field, and even a pinball table!

2. Doomguy, on the other side, might urge a healthy drink from some vending machine after contending with the super infested food court at the start

3. UART

UPGIwzC.png

Spoiler

1. One of the mapper's many MAP01 replacements, just under a TNT skybox this time

2. The title translates to a chemical element which some people can experience in deficiency

3. KUR

9yPPjkl.png

Spoiler

1. You'll hear D_TENSE all through it as this wicked map is placed in the corresponding slot

2. You do run some laps in and out of the rings early on but the centre is the very last place to go, where three archviles make that exit room a test of endurance

3. AWAI

Good luck!

Edited by galileo31dos01 : done!

My guesses will be wild this time, though I should get at least 3 correct

No hints

Spoiler

3 E1M5

Hints

Spoiler

2   Icarus MAP18
4  WOS MAP29
6  Grove
18 end2 E3M4
24 a memfis wad
25 wicked_8, I played this one a year ot two ago, the layout is very characteristic

No hints

Spoiler

3. E1M5

4. Hellbound MAP29

Didn't get any others with the hints so far. Will check back later for the next round of hints.

Spoiler

1. *blankly stares at it for the rest of the day*

2. Icarus MAP18 Cargo Bay

3. Doom E1M5 Phobos Lab

4. Hellbound MAP29 Ascension

5. *stares*

6. Deus Vult II MAP03 Crouching Demon Hidden Archvile

7. Bloody Steel MAP08 I think, The White Sea

8. *stares at hexagons*

9. Sunlust MAP11

10. Coffee Break MAP07, hint mentions a drink

11. I cannot stop staring...wait a minute that's Still L1 Complex, nevermind

12. Not The Dying End, but it is definitely inspired by The Living End

13. Fragport MAP02

14. *stares at the Djinn on the left side of the map who is coincidentally also staring at me*

15. This is definitely by Nicolas Monti given the architecture.

16. *stares and thinks valkiriforce map*

17. Looks like an old map, barrels being locked away seems reminiscent of something

18. *overdoses on staring*

19. *still staring*

20. Crimson Canyon's eponymous map, forgot which slot, MAP05?

21. This isn't 50 Shades of Graytall

22. If I recall MAP15 of 1994TU took this one as a base.

23. A lot of DoomCute here. I think it may be by Aluqah.

24. No my eyes are not going to pop out of my sockets.

25. The closest I got is MAP17 of Zones of Fear but nah this definitely doesn't have that.

Edited by NuMetalManiak : Found the 20th one

Without hints:

Spoiler

3. Doom E1M5

17. Heretic E3M1

19. The Hive

22. Xmas Doom Map01 (there are probably tons of variations on mines1, so I was lucky this was one of the handful I knew of)

23. Really feels like it must be a Stephen Clark map. The soccer field in the east, the dining hall in the west, and the train station in the south, those are all so him. But I looked through his wads and couldn't find it.

With hints:

Spoiler

4. Hellbound Map29

10. Coffee Break Map07

13. Fragport Map02 (pretty embarrassing to claim to be so familiar with the author's style and then miss this)

sight

02 Icarus MAP18
03 Doom E1M5 presumably, not some clone of it as a trick question
06 Deus Vult II MAP03
09 Sunlust MAP11
23 No Quarter (DOME1M3) by Archvile46 (thanks kmxexii!)

clues

01 Criticality
10 Coffee Break MAP07
25 Damnation Awaits the Wicked (wicked_8)

clue2

15 Witness of Time MAP06 (had fun with search bar, as directed)

16 Brutana (found it in DMP2018, cl2 MAP11, as per clue)

clue3 idgames title searches

05 MoONLIt District MAP07 (3 months old fits "contemporary", did not recognise perdgate sky2 description)

08 ENIGMa of Sector Sigma MAP01

12 ReliVING The End
21 AbsoLUTE Dishonor MAP04

24 KURogane

not guesses

17 Heretic E3M1 (game by description, but was not expecting an IWAD map)

22 XMAS/DOOM MAP01. I thought I knew all the MINE1 edits.

Edited by RjY

No hints:

Spoiler

2- Icarus map 18

3- Ultimate Doom E1M5

Hints:

Spoiler

6- Deus Vult 2 map 3

9- Sunlust map 11

17- Heretic E3M1

Hints and Doomwiki:

Spoiler

5- Crimson Canyon map 5

10- Coffee Break map 7

13- Fragport map 2

19- The Hive by Christen Klie

22- Xmas Doom map 1

Edited by tonytheparrot

No hints:

Spoiler
  1. -
  2. -
  3. E1M5: Phobos Lab, Doom
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. MAP07 from Coffee Break
  11. -
  12. -
  13. -
  14. -
  15. Is it possible that it's the same fella who made that shitpost E1M3?
  16. -
  17. E3M1: The Storehouse, Heretic
  18. -
  19. -
  20. -
  21. -
  22. So it's not Serenity E3M2 because it's missing the end. No idea what it could be, though.
  23. -
  24. -
  25. -

Hints:

Spoiler
  1. Criticality. Easy enough, I remembered two key areas from my very brief Ironman run and also that it uses OTEX.
  2. -
  4. -
  5. I don't know, it looked like Running Late 2 all the way, but it isn't...
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. MAP07: Deadly, Coffee Break
  11. -
  12. Thought it was Lutz's MAP29 from Hellscape, it ain't. IDK.
  13. -
  14. No idea but it looks brilliant
  15. Doubt it, actually, but monti is strong in this one. Doubt it's from him, though... and cba to check
  16. -
  18. -
  19. -
  20. -
  21. -
  22. Snow? Huh. I'll wait for further hints, though.
  23. -
  24. -
  25. -

Just realized upon scrolling through this thread again that I had actually seen one of these over the weekend.

Spoiler

14. The Last Sanctuary. The outdoor area was what piqued my interest in the map ("what do you mean there's a day/night cycle?"), and that's the part of the automap I recognized.

Spoiler

Here’s my answers to some of the maps. They are very hard this time round. 
3. Doom e1m5. 
13. Fragport m2. 
17. Heretic e3m1 

20. Crimson ?

22. Is this Xmas Doom2 from 1994 map 1 which is a variant on Mine1.wad ?

Edited by Doomlover77

New hints have been revealed, with some additional corrections as I goofed up in a couple places (apologies for any confusion!). That being said, I'm surprised at how clever my new hints are, like modesty aside I'm kinda getting better at this. I will add the letters hints thingy a day before the final reveal.

h

Spoiler
  1. Criticality. Easy enough, I remembered two key areas from my very brief Ironman run and also that it uses OTEX.

2. -

4. -

5. I don't know, it looked like Running Late 2 all the way, but it isn't...

6. -

7. -

8. -

9. -

10. MAP07: Deadly, Coffee Break

11. -

12. Thought it was Lutz's MAP29 from Hellscape, it ain't. IDK.

13. -

14. No idea but it looks brilliant

15. Doubt it, actually, but monti is strong in this one. Doubt it's from him, though... and cba to check

16. Made me look for it on the Wiki... Brutana

18. -

19. -

20. -

21. -

22. Yeah okay this is MAP01, Xmas Doom

23. -

24. -

25. -

h

Spoiler

9. Sunlust MAP11. I actually got this from the first hint rather than the new one, it just didn't ring a bell on my first pass.

11. 5till L1 Complex. Not sure why I didn't get this earlier, as I was playing this not long ago. The hint about the beach helped me out here.

New answers!

Spoiler

2 - Icarus MAP18

3 - Doom E1M5

16 - Brutana

17- Heretic E3M1

15 - Some map from Witness of Time, if I'm not mistaken - map 6

23 - map 2 of Running Late 2, I think (just checked, and it's not, damn)

I could have sworn the answers day was going to be tomorrow... oh well, that gives you an extra lots of hours to guess your remaining misses, now with the letters hints!

Spoiler

24 Kurogane then (I don't recall playing this map ever, but with the hints it should be it...)

Spoiler

1. So this is Criticality.

5. ONLIfans, no

12. CLEARLY this is Living End-inspired. BUT WHERE?!?!

15. Knew it was a nicolas monti set, Witness of Time. Don't know where in that set though.

21. Absolute Dishonor, some map by 40oz

23. Letter hint makes me think "Quarter" and I guess that's in the title.

25. KAWAII no I got nothing.

Spoiler

SUDDENLY, I remember seeing 12 on your Youtube channel.

12. Reliving the End

Results:

01. Criticality (NuMetalManiak, RjY, NaZa)

02. Icarus: Alien Vanguard, MAP18 (vdgg, NuMetalManiak, RjY, tonytheparrot, pcorf)

03. Doom, E1M5 (vdgg, Shepardus, NuMetalManiak, SiFi270, RjY, tonytheparrot, NaZa, pcorf)

04. Hellbound, MAP29 (Shepardus, NuMetalManiak, SiFi270)

05. Moonlit District, MAP07 (RjY)

06. Deus Vult II, MAP03 (NuMetalManiak, RjY, tonytheparrot)

07. Bloody Steel, MAP08 (NuMetalManiak, NaZa)

08. Enigma of Sector Sigma, MAP03 (RjY wad only guess)

09. Sunlust, MAP11 (Shepardus, NuMetalManiak, RjY, tonytheparrot)

10. Coffee Break, MAP07 (NuMetalManiak, SiFi270, RjY, tonytheparrot, [EDIT]: and NaZa too)

11. 5till L1 Complex (Shepardus, NuMetalManiak)

12. Reliving the End (RjY, SiFi270)

13. Fragport, MAP02 (NuMetalManiak, SiFi270, tonytheparrot)

14. The Last Sanctuary (Shepardus)

15. Witness of Time, MAP06 (NuMetalManiak wad guess, RjY, Deadwing)

16. Brutana (NuMetalManiak, RjY, NaZa, pcorf)

17. Heretic, E3M1 (NuMetalManiak, SiFi270, RjY, tonytheparrot, NaZa, pcorf)

18. The Beginning of the End Part 2, E3M4 (vdgg)

19. The Hive (SiFi270, tonytheparrot)

20. Crimson Canyon, MAP05 (NuMetalManiak, tonytheparrot)

21. Absolute Dishonor, MAP04 (NuMetalManiak wad guess, RjY)

22. Xmas Doom, MAP01 (SiFi270, RjY, tonytheparrot, NaZa)

23. No Quarter (RjY)

24. Kurogane (vdgg, RjY)

25. Damnation Awaits the Wicked (vdgg, RjY)

Well that went great, all items were guessed correctly at least once, big congrats!

That concludes this edition, so stay tuned for the next one, whenever that'll be!

Edited by galileo31dos01 : corrections

I believe I got MAP07 of Coffee Break, but no biggie. Looking forward to the next one!