Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sandy

Living Flesh, a short 12 map Wad

Hello dude, here's a blind playthrough in Demo format: Overrun_FDA.rar (Played on DSDA-Doom on UV in complevel-2)(You can find some guides on this site if you don't know how to play back demos.)

So, some observations from this wad for the future ones, if you decide to release more:

There is some definitely creative visuals in this one, like the giant flesh walls and especially map eights depiction of the moon.

The wad isn't too spammy with hitscanners, which is great and I think you have used Archviles and Pain elementals well. I wish you had placed an Archvile at the end of the final map.

Your health placement is quite good, not too too much, but also not too little.

Map sevens fights are quite fun.

And I didn't run into any gamebreaking design flaws or HOMs.

and now some problems:

There is a too much ammo, you always have way more of it than what you need to spend.

The wad has very low amount of detail, even compared to Iwads and the early maps are the most bare.

The levels are quite large compared to the amount of enemies, resulting in the maps feeling empty.

You can just run past the final enemies in a lot of the levels, resulting in anticlimatic endings.

There are quite a few stuck enemies, especially spiders, you can see them in the demo.

You seem to use fearly inefficient monster teleporter setups, I would advise you to check how some modern high profile vanilla wads do them.

I hope I didn't sound too negative, I definitely enjoyed playing it.

It's a nice first wad. I hope you make more.

20 hours ago, Alaxzandarz said:

Hello dude, here's a blind playthrough in Demo format: Overrun_FDA.rar (Played on DSDA-Doom on UV in complevel-2)(You can find some guides on this site if you don't know how to play back demos.)

So, some observations from this wad for the future ones, if you decide to release more:

There is some definitely creative visuals in this one, like the giant flesh walls and especially map eights depiction of the moon.

The wad isn't too spammy with hitscanners, which is great and I think you have used Archviles and Pain elementals well. I wish you had placed an Archvile at the end of the final map.

Your health placement is quite good, not too too much, but also not too little.

Map sevens fights are quite fun.

And I didn't run into any gamebreaking design flaws or HOMs.

and now some problems:

There is a too much ammo, you always have way more of it than what you need to spend.

The wad has very low amount of detail, even compared to Iwads and the early maps are the most bare.

The levels are quite large compared to the amount of enemies, resulting in the maps feeling empty.

You can just run past the final enemies in a lot of the levels, resulting in anticlimatic endings.

There are quite a few stuck enemies, especially spiders, you can see them in the demo.

You seem to use fearly inefficient monster teleporter setups, I would advise you to check how some modern high profile vanilla wads do them.

I hope I didn't sound too negative, I definitely enjoyed playing it.

It's a nice first wad. I hope you make more.

Thanks for the comment, Alaxzandarz, and thanks for letting me know how I can improve this wad and my future doom levels. I could ramble on and on complaining about the problems you listed, (a very tempting option, I'm sure you understand,) but that wouldn't be very constructive, as they are all completely true. The lack of detail problem especially was one that I noticed, and I have come to hate the textures ROCK5 and BIGBRIK2 because of how much I've overused them in these maps. I intend to work on these problems for future maps, but for now, if you care to give this one another chance, I have worked out some of these problems on certain levels, but more importantly I have added levels that I hope are more representative of my level of quality going forward.

I plan to continue refining these levels (and possibly replacing Map 06, because it is just bad) before moving on to other things, but thanks again for your comment.

If you choose, this is a google drive link containing the updated file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uZWZeVURCHcNS5JnWq7HUV4tFhaJp9FP/view?usp=sharing

Just had a quick look and wanted to add one thing to the things that Alaxzandarz mentioned: I could be wrong but it seems like you put (all?) the weapons in secrets. By map 4 it becomes quite obvious that if you don't find them you are very outgunned. I also quickly pistol started on map 10 and I got lucky finding the plasma gun. Otherwise it would have been pretty tedious to play the map.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:16 AM, TheCyberDruid said:

Just had a quick look and wanted to add one thing to the things that Alaxzandarz mentioned: I could be wrong but it seems like you put (all?) the weapons in secrets. By map 4 it becomes quite obvious that if you don't find them you are very outgunned. I also quickly pistol started on map 10 and I got lucky finding the plasma gun. Otherwise it would have been pretty tedious to play the map.

Just spent some time editing this wad, were you playing on HMP by any chance? I just realized that a bunch of the weapons throughout the wad were marked as hard only. At any rate, certainly not through fixing the problems in this wad. (starting to regret uploading it so early, I guess.)

4 hours ago, Sandy said:

Just spent some time editing this wad, were you playing on HMP by any chance? I just realized that a bunch of the weapons throughout the wad were marked as hard only. At any rate, certainly not through fixing the problems in this wad. (starting to regret uploading it so early, I guess.)

I wasn't playing on hard, so yes. I had a very similar experience with my first wad ;) You live and learn :)