Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigMetalhead

Can you run directly into your rocket?

I was drinking coffee watching Dario Casali's playthrough of Plutonia, but as he fired a rocket at a revenant, a question popped in my head:

"If Doomguy can run faster than his own rocket and he would run into it, would he get hit by it or would he just phase through it?"

AFAIK, Doomguy can only run AS FAST as a rocket, so in a real playthrough, this wouldn't even matter. But if someone modded a game so that he can run faster or the rocket would travel slower, what would happen if he runs into it?

Nice, so you can easily outrun your own rocket but it cannot hit you (just passes through). Just have to be careful with splash damage if it hits anything else in your vicinity.

Never knew this, the video on the wall running link is nice. Thanks.

Wasn't there something about how early on you could run faster than your rockets (maybe without straferunning) and they fixed it, I might be wrong though.

Yes.

I did that in Plutonia Map29, there's no recorded proof but I did it in the outdoor section where I fired a rocket, did wallrunning then got extremely fast until I bumped into a wall and waited for the rocket to hit the wall.

This also applies to monsters and their projectiles, which is why you can't hit a revenant with its own missile.

Though you can hit a revenant with another revenant's missile.

Also, running fast isn't the only way to get in the way of your own projectiles; it's Doom: you have teleporters.

5 hours ago, Gez said:

Also, running fast isn't the only way to get in the way of your own projectiles; it's Doom: you have teleporters.

Three ways: Simply firing the projectile spawns it intersecting your collision box. This is why the are programmed to not collide with you, otherwise they'd immediately detonate.

It's interesting cause with some bouncy wall boom trick you can utilize this feature to create a wall of rockets that can only kill the monsters but not you. ;)

There's one exception - if you shoot a rocket, die and respawn before it hits, you can totally get killed by your own rocket with enough bad luck.