Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StarSpun5000

What is the most memorable midi you've ever heard in a doom map?

I always loved the track to Equinox map13. Sounds very ethereal and fit well into the final level I thought.

Someone posted a link to B.P.R.D's old website recently and the notes he gave for the track was that it was made by some kid who had a terminal illness and created that to be played at his funeral. Sadly the identity of it's creator is lost and will likely always remain a mystery.

Here's the website if anyone's interested: https://web.archive.org/web/20091021225317/http://geocities.com/doomology/wads.html

All Doom iwads are memorable to me, but those don't count. The most memorable is level 2 of Requiem wad. I love that thing. And Tei Tenga's Core of MAYhem wad. I should play more wads to hear more awesome midis, I think. 

Hell Revealed II Map 15, it's just a good song. As well as the first map from Alien Vendetta. It's groovy but I don't think it's an original.

Nice topic, and a Hard Question as well, since a lot of original compositions in the Doom Community are memorable.
But I would pick one that is quite recent.
Bad Reception by Stuart "Stewboy" Rynn, its used in the very First Map of Valiant.

Edited by BerserkerNoir : Little Typo fix.

I just like pretty much anything by Stewboy. The one in Cyberwar 7734 among other maps is probably my favorite. Cyriak's stuff in Going Down is fun too.

For me, it's Mark Klem: The Wind, which plays in Memento Mori MAP10.

This is pretty unique track and has a strong and mysterious feeling to me. It has a bit of medieval feel, when I listen to it, I imagine like I'm located in an old castle in a fantasy world.

The song is divided into several distinct sections, which change over time - each section has a different instrument choice, and the song is gratuating. My most favourite part of the song is 3:02 - 4:00 (the trumpet and flute solo).

I also think that the soundfont I personally use changes the feeling of the song as well, the OPL Synth instruments sound softer than the standard General MIDI sounding.

E2M7 from Solar Struggle has a deliciously moody MIDI. I found myself hanging out in the map just listening to it. Very nice.

Also, I love it whenever I hear someone use Descent music in Doom. It always seems to fit really well but doesn't happen that often. I used like 4 Descent MIDIs in my last mapset.

its easily the unnamed track used in The Mucus Flow, by BPRD. it stuck with me after the first time i heard it

Equinox is full of profoundly atmospheric music, but MAP13 in particular still overpowers me emotionally just thinking about it even after all these years.  I remember reading what @Foodles posted about the now-passed composer of the track, which makes it all the more poignant honestly.

I always liked the track for M/S Futura (MAP18) from Scythe.  It's a simple theme for a simple map but I love it for some reason.  MAP30 of Scythe also, good work @leejacksonaudio (I don't know what the name of the track is but I know someone else here does off the tops of their heads)

I played MAP26 of Plutonia 2 incessantly just to hear the soundtrack.  So frenetic and catchy.

11 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

MAP30 of Scythe also, good work @leejacksonaudio (I don't know what the name of the track is but I know someone else here does off the tops of their heads)

Thanks! Someone give me the filename of the MIDI file and I'll try and figure out what the song name is.

18 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Thanks! Someone give me the filename of the MIDI file and I'll try and figure out what the song name is.

As always, the Doom Wiki is your friend.

The song was "You Suck!", the game over theme from Rise Of The Triad. For a 1-minute fanfare, the Doom community sure has taken a liking to it: Both Scythe and Alien Vendetta used it for really long, brutal marathon maps. I like the song as is, but the 2022 revisiting of it (which reinterpreted the melody into something actually intended to be used to accompany gameplay) was pretty awesome too. Thanks for both of these pieces!

Mine is map32 from plutonia, of course it's from e2m8, I don't know why but this song in combination with the whole map concept made such an impact on me I will never forget it. This also gave me the push to go map myself.

Another of my favorites: "Plessure" by Paul Corfiatis from MAP10 of Whispers of Satan:

I used to play a lot of fun multiplayer WADs in ZDaemon. There was this one WAD that had some big/giant maps with a lot of stuff and places that you could explore, and had a lot of colored keys and stuff (apart from the original ones, had green, purple, white keys) and there was this one map that had a MIDI version of "Jump" by Van Halen.

Damn, I can't remember which WAD it was.

18 hours ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

I used to play a lot of fun multiplayer WADs in ZDaemon. There was this one WAD that had some big/giant maps with a lot of stuff and places that you could explore, and had a lot of colored keys and stuff (apart from the original ones, had green, purple, white keys) and there was this one map that had a MIDI version of "Jump" by Van Halen.

Are you sure about the white key? I've been trying to think of what you could be referring to because I also used to play a lot of coop on ZDaemon (dbzone, invasionuac etc), but all the wads I can think of that had colored keys used orange instead of white. I also have some vague memory of a couple wads that used a midi of 'Jump' but the only one I can find right now is Squadron 417, which didn't have coloured keys.

Whenever someone think of Doom there's always 1 midi that comes into their head, and for me that's Sadistic from TNT. 

1 hour ago, stewboy said:

Are you sure about the white key? ... but all the wads I can think of that had colored keys used orange instead of white.

Honestly, not that sure; I might be mixing up memories of two different WADs, and not sure if it was a white or orange key. Now that you mention it, it might be more likely that it was orange instead of white, but at least the one I'm talking about had indeed multiple keys.

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

Infinity also has a level that uses that MIDI, but it's obviously not what @SirJuicyLemon is looking for.

Yeah, sadly doesn't seem that either of those WADs (Infinity or Squadron 417) is the one I remember.

But now @stewboy made me doubt a little: for the record, I'm talking about two different maps; the one that I'm sure had the Van Halen MIDI was just a map that had a sort of giant corridor and at the end of it there was a big fall.

And I believe that it was the same WAD that had another map that had multiple colored keys; it was like a city at a certain floor height and there was this path of different platforms that go higher and higher until you reach a castle-like building, with some security bars that could be raised/lowered from inside the security guards cabins and has a crushing ceiling (activable too). Inside there were some bathrooms, a cocktail bar, and a kitchen IIRC.

It's hard to pick just one because I think each song fits a different situation, which sometimes matches or doesn't match the level.

At the moment the tracks that are in my head are;

Doom II - Message to Archvile: I like the indifferent, maybe bored tone of this song, it's like Doomguy has gotten used to the fact that he constantly fights with demons. Probably annoyed with Archville haha

TNT Evilution - Smells Like Burning Corpse: Violent music, demons in every direction and damn chaingunners. I think it does better on short/medium hardcore maps.

TNT Evilution - Let's Kill At Will: frantic, reminds me of confusion and danger. I feel a peculiar "hip hop" vibe in this song. I like her a lot.

Edited by K_Doom : edit

1monster isn't a WAD I've played too seriously, nor for a long time, but the music for MAP12 (Baron Citadel) is an absolutely killer piece of work that's stuck in my mind for years and I would love to know where it's from and who composed it.

For official wads "Nobody Told Me About ID" and "Horizon".
For custom made stuff "You Suck" from ROTT that was used in wads like Scythe or Alien Vendetta and a super big fan of "Stars" from Speed of Doom.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:17 AM, Codename_Delta said:

This masterpiece:

Sorry for the possible bump but I'm surprised no-one mentioned this yet.

I can form a perfect picture in my mind of what this map is like without having ever played it. Pretty cool when a midi is enough to tell you "you'll never be good enough".