Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

Alas I was not at home when the last 2 playthrough videos premiered so I could not catch them live.  I'm catching up on those as I type this!

I also finally decided to do one small thing, release a new, final version of my map 'Waste Em!'  This new release only changes one thing, it changes the double sided, impassable linedefs that @Doomkid mentioned in his playthrough video to no longer be impassable, literally nothing else was changed & I think it was only that way originally because of me overthinking a tiny detail.

HERE is the updated map!

Hopefully that STEPTOP texture gets fixed as well - it can always be replaced with something else since it tiled vertically on my map.

Don’t worry about that, valkiri - there’s actually alternative versions of all the step textures that are still short, fixing that should be effortless.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with the DEH and story texts, but I also hope you keep the little tidbits each author has posted with their map and maybe compile them in a text file. I love the flavour story text that accompanies CP maps, and I love even more when authors comment on their own maps with their influences, what they hoped to accomplish and how much they think they succeeded, what they were thinking of when picking the music, etc etc, and there's quite a lot of this sprinkled throughout the thread.

I have to say seeing the map list and the titlepics is making me super psyched about this. It's been so much fun following the thread for the past 5 months and seeing what everyone was putting together and then watching the judging videos. I really want to wait until everything is finalized to experience the set in all its completed glory, but I can't stop myself from poking around the WIP upload every time there's a new one. And the custom resources look absolutely gorgeous.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Hooray, got all the MIDIs volume balanced, and after a lot longer than you'd think, I got 3 titlescreens put together that more accurately reflect the episodes:

Spoiler

MaKyMj5.png

61eIfx9.png

UGuob8N.png

That looks unbelievably rad! Even after watching most of the playthroughs, seeing them given individual titlepics makes it feel more real. It's like going to the game store as a kid, trying to find that one expansion pack you'd heard about - but when you get there, another two packs you didn't know existed come bundled with it.

Deciding the order for this lot would've driven anyone mad. On top of that, I can't imagine how much work still has to be done under the hood for it to match up with your vision for it. And then we've got the process of deciding the prizes.

Don't overwork yourself, is what I'm trying to get at. It'll be done when it's done.

Can't wait to play this. Thanks for the contest, DK! Now if you'll excuse me, I should probably fix up my map...

On 6/2/2022 at 4:05 AM, Doomkid said:

I’ve got some more ideas, but I’ll flesh em out later. Also, astute observers have probably noticed were a few maps short of 60, so there will probably be a couple holes to fill - but that comes later!

Are you going to make some more maps yourself to reach 60? Or are some people going to have to make an extra map for it?

Also good stuff with this update. :)

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Rather than doing a traditional CREDIT lump like with Rowdy Rudy 2 / Ray 2, I decided to do the more common approach of having mappers listed under the map title on the intermission screen, like this:

Question. Can we get differently colored names, to add a bit of flair? If yes, then can I get my name to be green?

These titlescreens and new weapon sprites look great, I'm loving the BFG especially.

I've made an update to my map, there's no gameplay changes to the main part map, but I have added in coop and deathmatch starts along with a dedicated deathmatch arena based off of the final area of the map (it's pretty much entirely untested but it didn't take too long to make so I figured it'd be more interesting than doing nothing). Since I'm on the map15 slot (at the moment), I've also added in a secret encounter that leads to the secret exit.

Here's a picture of the deathmatch arena using the old sky (the sky it's now using in the megawad looks great with it by the way):

Spoiler

DOOM0044.png.ab93dcf230fb28365367ceba71442cf7.png

In the .zip are two versions of the wad: "1man_finnks_v3" that doesn't have the secret exit and "1man_finnks_v3_secretexit" that does have the secret exit, since I wasn't sure if you were planning on moving round the map order a bit. I'm happy to call this the final version of the map, but if any tweaks are needed on my end then that's fine.

1man_finnks_v3.zip

Also if it's alright, I'd prefer for my name to not be capitalized in the text file and intermission screens as it's what I tend to use myself.

13 hours ago, LGmaire said:

Are you going to make some more maps yourself to reach 60? Or are some people going to have to make an extra map for it?

Also good stuff with this update. :)

Well, I'm actually happy with the current number of maps. Other than some very minor tweaks to a small handful of the maps, I think it feels like a very "complete" experience despite the episodes being of different lengths. (After all, the project has gone on for a while now as it is, with it already feeling as good as it does I don't want to draw it out more than necessary).

7 hours ago, Vladguy said:

Question. Can we get differently colored names, to add a bit of flair? If yes, then can I get my name to be green?

I have all the level and author names sort of colored to match the interpics/titlepics, so I think one green name might be a bit out of place. E1 has a sort of gold/blue thing going on, E2 has orange/grey, and E3 has red/black, just to aim for a bit of thematic consistency or something like that.

5 hours ago, Rycuz said:

Haven't touched map editor for while, but I think I'll check my map soon.

Awesome, I had an amazing time playing your map.

2 hours ago, finnks13 said:

In the .zip are two versions of the wad: "1man_finnks_v3" that doesn't have the secret exit and "1man_finnks_v3_secretexit" that does have the secret exit, since I wasn't sure if you were planning on moving round the map order a bit. I'm happy to call this the final version of the map, but if any tweaks are needed on my end then that's fine.

Also if it's alright, I'd prefer for my name to not be capitalized in the text file and intermission screens as it's what I tend to use myself.

Great update, love the DM arena and secret exit, that makes life easier for me already! Also, I'll be sure to keep your name lowercase in all the texts and such from here on.

Hard to believe we're approaching the finish line. It always felt like a nebulous load of maps to me, it's kinda crazy seeing it take shape. Growing into a cohesive unit. I mean three units! Feels kinda surreal, you know. 

One final update to my map, added some cute coke machines and an additional secret. It's not a backpack, I'm sorry, having to restock on cells only half as often really trivializes the final fight, imo. I also wanna mention that the JJ Berserk is completely overpowered, like holy shit, you can even three-hit a Baron ° v°

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dY8UuROS3W31ZsfnGc9XsreZ6Js7R91q/view?usp=sharing

"Ray Mohawk 2 has the 4-bladed chainsaw"

"The beta-cuck shotgun from the beta"

LOL

Just chiming in to confirm that my map looks to be the correct version. Nice work on the compile!

By my count, this is my third community project secret map, joining Nova III and ISOLATION: Strain 1. Pretty cool if I do say so myself :p

Hey, I was playing through the episodes and having a blast!

I noticed that my map is in slot 11 for the second episode and there's a demo that plays for it when booting up the game and it looks a bit funky. 

Not sure what you're looking to do for the demo that plays when you start up the wad but if you intend to keep the demo for map slot 11, I'd be happy to create one for that. :)

On 6/5/2022 at 2:11 PM, Doomkid said:

Well, I'm actually happy with the current number of maps. Other than some very minor tweaks to a small handful of the maps, I think it feels like a very "complete" experience despite the episodes being of different lengths. (After all, the project has gone on for a while now as it is, with it already feeling as good as it does I don't want to draw it out more than necessary).

That's fine, I can understand, you've been doing a lot of work and playtesting on this after all.

I myself won't do any updates on my map anymore, I think it's good enough to the point where I want to leave it in it's current state, I am however going to change a thing or two about the map's story.

Considering it's in the map12 slot the intermission text screen appears there so I thought I'd change it somewhat. Though I'll probably have to cut a thing or two about it considering the text limit on the Ultimate doom 1.9 engine in WhackEd4... You are using that specific engine for the dehacked right? Because I might be wrong about that.

9 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Just chiming in to confirm that my map looks to be the correct version. Nice work on the compile!

By my count, this is my third community project secret map, joining Nova III and ISOLATION: Strain 1. Pretty cool if I do say so myself :p

Such a wonderful map HAS to be earned!

5 hours ago, phoo said:

Not sure what you're looking to do for the demo that plays when you start up the wad but if you intend to keep the demo for map slot 11, I'd be happy to create one for that. :)

Sure, that would be cool!

1 hour ago, LGmaire said:

Though I'll probably have to cut a thing or two about it considering the text limit on the Ultimate doom 1.9 engine in WhackEd4... You are using that specific engine for the dehacked right? Because I might be wrong about that.

That's right! I'm looking forward to seeing the story text you use leading into that map, LGmaire.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

That's right! I'm looking forward to seeing the story text you use leading into that map, LGmaire.

Alright good! I think something like this can work...

Spoiler

JAMAL'S JOURNEY THROUGH THE WASTE THAT IS
BOTH EARTH AND HELL WAS QUITE EVENTFUL,
HE DECIDES TO GO BACK TO HIS HOME TO SEE
IF RUDY'S THERE, SAFE FROM THEM.
BY QUICKLY RUSHING TO LOOK IN THE INSIDE
OF THE HOUSE. HE FOUND A SECRET SWITCH,
LOWERING THE FLOOR TO FIND A SECRET TUNNEL
SYSTEM CONTAINING A TELEPORTER WITHIN.

"I HOPE RUDY'S STILL ALIVE IN THIS PLACE."
HE SAYS. HE GOES THROUGH THE TELEPORTER,
ENTERING HELL ONE LAST TIME...
'IT'S JAMAL! TAKE HIM TO THE MASTER DEAD 
OR ALIVE!' SCREAMS OUT ONE OF THE MUTANTS.

...I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU HERE, JAMAL.

Tested it out in a bunch of different sourceports, did a couple of changes here and there and I think it's good.

I haven't tested it with choco doom yet, but that's because I still need to set some stuff up here and there and atm I'm too tired to do that.

I do have a more extended version of the story that I'm going to put here.

I had ideas for an ending text screen in like a mapinfo lump or something, and while I have layed out a long ending that would try and fit back in with RRR's story I'll probably do that later or just scrap that idea...

Spoiler

Jamal's journey through the waste that is in the middle of his home was quite the rollercoaster of emotion, Jamal decides to go back to his home to see if Rudy's still there.
The house is completely destroyed, there's no ceilings, most of the walls are complete gravel on the floor, and the floor itself wiped the gravel off itself by being flooded with blood, presumably mutant blood.

He feels hollow, like everything inside of him was just burning up into nothing. A full meltdown of conspiracies in his brain.
Jamal thinks to himself as to what to do in the future, what if this happens to him again? what if this happens to Rudy? Where is he anyways? Did he not know that Jamal was alive and went on his own? what if he's just another mutant now?!

He quickly rushes to look in every nook and cranny of the house and found nothing but the corpse of a mutant, along with a shotgun, completely broken, practically snapped in half.
However, he manages to discover a secret switch! This was never here before, so the mutants probably created a hidden compound somewhere, and this is one of their means of transportation to get there...

Thinking that this is his only ticket to find Rudy, Jamal presses the switch, lowering the bloody floor into a tunnel system containing a teleporter within.

"Well, this is now my point of no return." Says jamal, after all of the insane events happening to him and his brother, this seems like his last step to turn things back to normal... 
Jamal Goes through the teleporter, when he reaches his destination all of his guns and ammo seemengly taken away from him, inside of a big Techbase made out of Wood. As he sees a bunch of mutants looking away from him, possibly not knowing that he is right there behind them.

fortunately for Him, the vanilla extraction Program's going on in this base and it's got a machine made for it's extracting needs that has a malfuction the second he steps on the grey, sandy floor, this causes the machine to explode and  one of the mutant shotgunners falls down from a small platform it was standing on and dies somehow of fall damage, dropping his shotgun, however the sounds it made weren't so peaceful, this wakes up the mutants and Jamal now has to deal with this and more!

'It's the enemy! Take him to the master's castle dead or alive!' yells out one of the mutants, somehow still being able to talk despite it's face being completely deformed thanks to radiation coming from... somewhere."
Jamal starts to wonder who's this master they mentioned, but this is not the time to think about it! This is Jamal goddamn Jones! and he's ready to do anything to save the planet!

Hello! Doing final clean-up for the release version of The Cauldron. Very exited. So far I cannot find any visplane overflows (in the version that is in the beta release nor in the current one I'm working on). If someone will find any - please notify me here, I'll be checking this thread daily.

There are however some drawseg limits reached in some areas, but most noticably is the revenant cliff area. The whole lavafall can go HoM while looking from certain places. I would like to avoid to de-grade it to a lavawall, but if it's too irritating, I'll rework this area while keeping the combat (doing large open areas within vanilla limits is pain).

What's done so far:

- removed 2 arachnotrons close to the end since they are useless and non-threatening

- minor texture adjustments

- some light level adjustments

Also, I've changed the light levels of cybermaze, as some people suggested here and in youtube chat, and would like to hear/read what people think about new look. (If you're going to "like" this post - please use Partial Invisibility sphere, that way I'll know that you liked this darker version)

Spoiler

New maze

lab5.png.dd40385f8b86ffbed7227733ca468028.pnglab4.png.9f8bd6770b7664a9aee4729313e15ba9.pnglab3.png.d28877695e22c2228ac0fd6cdf61d56b.pnglab2.png.3adb3f96527fc6b8c46c9603d1778676.pnglab1.png.8c6aa91b7b036e093237e20e586923e3.png

And finally @Doomkid I've taken your advice with floating cubes and this is the closest I can get to make them feel like they're actually floating with light level and HoM manipulations

Spoiler

cubes2.png.d5f855bb5cb3f688529adbaf2124bd75.pngcubes1.png.1d99e8141dcc1a2505e6140ad1b8e15b.png

Hi All,

Loving the play throughs and work put in to date, have started progressing through the episodes to check each of the maps out and came across lots of wall clipping issues with E1 M13 Damned Dam, anyone else experienced that? 

12 minutes ago, b0n3 said:

Loving the play throughs and work put in to date, have started progressing through the episodes to check each of the maps out and came across lots of wall clipping issues with E1 M13 Damned Dam, anyone else experienced that? 

I didn't finish the map but I did a partial run through E1M13 and saw no clipping issues in DSDA-Doom or GZDoom, in software and hardware (though GZDoom did give a console warning about BLOCKMAP). Can you specify which port(s) you saw this with and maybe a sceenshot of the automap with some example spots?

Hmm, the map is fairly small, I'm thinking this must be down to a node building issue rather than any sort of "actual" mapping issue. Gonna go ahead and ping @jacnowak just to bring this to attention!

Worst case, I/he could just try re-building the nodes using a different node builder, it might help to avoid this issue (assuming it IS a nodes issue).