Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

2 hours ago, sectrslayr said:

Hey @Doomkid, so we just submit everything to this thread? Including updates and playthroughs? 

I think I will try this vanilla thing! But it will probably take me some time since I have to take a mapping break and work and stuff and you name it…

How are we going to handle updates? Put version numbers on the submitted WADs?

Yep, feel free to post any updates right in this thread, as well as anything else you feel like posting, such as a demo/recording/playthrough, if you wish.

If you’re making updates to your map, version numbers would be swell, or alternately you could just make another post in this thread with a link to the map and something like “hey, this is the latest version as of now” and I’ll make sure to grab it. You can update the map as many times as you feel is necessary between now and March 1st, just make sure I know about it :)

As a side point, I will be looking the submissions over as they come in - not to judge them, but just to make sure they don’t crash vanilla and actually conform to the guidelines.

1 hour ago, evil_scientist said:

I get a bunch (43) warnings when I load up the resources in UDM. The sprites are not showing up in the editor. But they work and display fine when testing (both in LZ and Crispy). Did I miss something? :)

Hide contents

Unfortunately, due to how vanilla Doom handles new sprites, the cleanest method is to place them between markers called SS_START and S_END (with only one S). However, UDB itself wants the internal markers to both have just one S, which crashes vanilla Doom.

So essentially, before opening it in Doom Builder you need to open the wad in something like Slade, rename the SS_START to just S_START, then the sprites will show up in UDB, but once you’re ready to playtest, you have close Doom Builder and rename it back to SS_START, or else it will crash vanilla Doom. (It won’t crash Crispy Doom though, so you could just leave it that way for convenience. It only needs to be changed back to be played in vanilla).

I did make an offhand request that support for this long-standing “SS_START placeholder” convention to be supported by UDB, avoiding this roadbump for vanilla modders, but sadly it was rejected. :(

10 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Unfortunately, due to how vanilla Doom handles new sprites, the cleanest method is to place them between markers called SS_START and S_END (with only one S). However, UDB itself wants the internal markers to both have just one S, which crashes vanilla Doom.

So essentially, before opening it in Doom Builder you need to open the wad in something like Slade, rename the SS_START to just S_START, then the sprites will show up in UDB, but once you’re ready to playtest, you have close Doom Builder and rename it back to SS_START, or else it will crash vanilla Doom. (It won’t crash Crispy Doom though, so you could just leave it that way for convenience. It only needs to be changed back to be played in vanilla).

I did make an offhand request that support for this long-standing “SS_START placeholder” convention to be supported by UDB, avoiding this roadbump for vanilla modders, but sadly it was rejected. :(

Cheers! I don't think I'll bother with renaming then, because the sprites not displaying in the editor don't hinder mapping that much. While renaming before testing could lead to unnecessary complications.

I've been watching the Daredevil show lately, so I'll try to make a gritty city map.

My other inspiration is the alley fistfight scene in They Live.

Loving this project! I'm hoping for many nice entries! I just had a look in UDB after renaming the marker to SS_END, and noticed that two sets of monsters look the same in UDB:
similar_sprites_in_UDB.png

The Imp and new Imp side by side, plus the Hellknight and Baron side by side. If there were ever an update to the resources, could these be changed as well perhaps? (if it is a resource pack thing and not an issue on my end)

I might consider making something for this as long as the resource wad works in DB.

3 hours ago, evil_scientist said:

I get a bunch (43) warnings when I load up the resources in UDM. The sprites are not showing up in the editor. But they work and display fine when testing (both in LZ and Crispy). Did I miss something? :)

Screens:

Hide contents

image.png.5c502a3fd9de96be60103d7902cd994d.png

image.png.d9abb959f02a3eba9ea9743f9c075391.png

PS: the texture pack looks awesome.

Did you load the DeHackED file with the WAD? 

EDIT: nvm, issue's been solved lol

2 hours ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

Loving this project! I'm hoping for many nice entries! I just had a look in UDB after renaming the marker to SS_END, and noticed that two sets of monsters look the same in UDB:
similar_sprites_in_UDB.png

The Imp and new Imp side by side, plus the Hellknight and Baron side by side. If there were ever an update to the resources, could these be changed as well perhaps? (if it is a resource pack thing and not an issue on my end)

These guys use the same sprites, but have internal flags set to change their color at launch.

2 hours ago, pcorf said:

I might consider making something for this as long as the resource wad works in DB.

I use Doom Builder 2, and it works great in it. It seems Ultimate Doom Builder doesn't like it. I downloaded UDB (for the visplane visual tool), but there were a million errors, so now I just load it, ignore the errors, check visplanes, then open it back up in DB2. It's a little inefficient, but it works.

Progress is going good, here's a pic:
doom02.png.48279bfc8e1df8f2766fb209442b8ac4.png
You should be familiar with this, Doomkid :)

@Doomkid Since some people are asking about the sprite marker lumps, I think you should add an alternate resource pack that excludes the extra S (in those markers), just to avoid mapping editor warnings. I'm fine with the resource pack, it only gives me one warning and it doesn't harm my map.

Trying to set things up. I never did a map with a custom res pack, so should I also add doom2.wad as a resourse or only OneMan.wad? With latter option all textures are plain gray but maybe I did something wrong.

Also should I restrict myself from using stock Doom 2 textures? Only custom res pack?

7 hours ago, Worriedidiot said:

Here's a Doomwiki page that has a bunch of links to a lot of places you can get some very high quality midis: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Adding_custom_music

Ah, nice. That's very helpful, thank you.

Well, since everyone else is sharing screenshots maybe I should as well.

Screenshot_Doom_20220106_153128.png.02415e3c0bd6e87cdb421b74980cebee.png

Going for a nighttime techbase at the bottom of a canyon with this one. I wanted to play around with lighting a bit more since I mostly neglected it in my previous maps.

The map's going quite good. :)

I'll show a screenie or two.

Spoiler

image.png.0db94299687eddb4bad4bb048df52e54.png

image.png.d4e68659bf100f7d7700682b9aeb41be.png

Map's gonna be kinda short, but I think what's in it is enjoyable and challenging enough.

I'm having fun with the new enemies and overall changes.

Also yes, I did use the ending, ending2 and ending3 textures to make that text in the first screenshot, you're gonna see more of that in the map lol.

I'm very impressed with the screenshots you all have posted so far! I'm gonna be in for a treat with this one, I can tell already.

13 hours ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

Loving this project!

[...]

If there were ever an update to the resources, could these be changed as well perhaps? (if it is a resource pack thing and not an issue on my end)

10 hours ago, Astronomical said:

These guys use the same sprites, but have internal flags set to change their color at launch.

Thank you Peccatum!

Also yeah, Astronomical is right on the money - sadly, to implement two fully functioning "new" enemies, it was necessary to make the Baron and HKs share the same actual sprite so that all the Baron's frames could be re-used for something new.

8 hours ago, Hitboi said:

You should be familiar with this, Doomkid :)
[...]
Since some people are asking about the sprite marker lumps, I think you should add an alternate resource pack that excludes the extra S (in those markers), just to avoid mapping editor warnings.

Ooh, an alternate universe version of your beast in Ray Mohawk 2, looks cool! I also think uploading a "ready for UDB" resource pack alongside the existing one is a good idea. I'll get that done soon.

4 hours ago, Mark Bloom said:

should I also add doom2.wad as a resourse or only OneMan.wad?

Load doom2.wad then OneMan.wad both, making sure to load doom2.wad first. Feel free to use any textures that are available in the editor, other than a few small additions, it's largely just modified versions of the classic Doom 2 textures.

2 hours ago, Rycuz said:

Hey @Doomkid, how is the storyline of the megawad?

I'm still not totally done with it, but..

Jamal is about 22 during the events of this, and Rudy is just a boy. There's going to be something nefarious the UAC or maybe the government is doing that's responsible for threatening the area where Jamal and Rudy live, and to defend Rudy, himself, and everyone really, Jamal goes off to fight, using the skills he's attained throughout his military training. Whatever UAC/govt has done has already started an infection that's sweeping the area, which has turned the local human and animal life into unrecognizable beasts (AKA all the baddies you're fighting).

There will probably also be something about this government trying to genetically engineer both humans and animals into grotesque-yet-powerful "worker drones" that are only partially sentient, hence the existence of things like Toxicacodemons and Barons of Hell and so forth.

It's a bit absurd (as it should be) but I still need to flesh it out a little more and iron out the kinks!

1 hour ago, LGmaire said:

Also yes, I did use the ending, ending2 and ending3 textures to make that text in the first screenshot, you're gonna see more of that in the map lol.

LOL. I didn't even mean to leave those textures in there, they're holdovers from the first Rowdy Rudy! Well, I guess they have to stay in there now :) I cracked up at that screenshot, great work so far.

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Also yeah, Astronomical is right on the money - sadly, to implement two fully functioning "new" enemies, it was necessary to make the Baron and HKs share the same actual sprite so that all the Baron's frames could be re-used for something new. 

In addition to your tutorials, I found just looking over the dehacked file for most vanilla mods is a great help in figuring out how to put something together yourself.  Just seeing the tricks implemented in something like Rudy 2 and other projects are really good at teaching some of the more unique techniques.

9 hours ago, Blexor said:

Ah, nice. That's very helpful, thank you.

Well, since everyone else is sharing screenshots maybe I should as well.

Screenshot_Doom_20220106_153128.png.02415e3c0bd6e87cdb421b74980cebee.png

Going for a nighttime techbase at the bottom of a canyon with this one. I wanted to play around with lighting a bit more since I mostly neglected it in my previous maps.

Dude, that's so cool! Nice idea for a map! 

This is a really good texture and enemies pack you've provided us, Doomkid ! Any chance we could get access to a separate WAD file containing your textures in the future ?

By the way, I'm participating to this contest. Even if I don't win at all, I'll have fun, and I hope you and everybody else does :D

Thank you! The textures aren’t actually mine - they’re all taken from the HD textures without the HD pack, which 40oz made based on the original HD texture pack. (Though I have modified about a dozen or so to clean them up a bit).

I’d be happy to make a version of this resource pack that only has the textures though if you want to use them for other things!

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

LOL. I didn't even mean to leave those textures in there, they're holdovers from the first Rowdy Rudy! Well, I guess they have to stay in there now :) I cracked up at that screenshot, great work so far.

speaking of endings

doom02.png.9949e26d18e41c0c64dc712a964f2782.png

i'm unironically gonna keep this secret in the map

41 minutes ago, Vladguy said:

speaking of endings

doom02.png.9949e26d18e41c0c64dc712a964f2782.png

i'm unironically gonna keep this secret in the map

Speaking of secrets...

Zrzut ekranu (308).png

@Doomkid I'm continually awe-stricken by your dedication to the community. I love the contest idea and the resources you've given. Dark textures, colourful monsters = EXACTLY my jam. I'm considering participating too, but there's some things that intimidate me, such as stairways or big areas. I'd need inspiration. 

I want to remark that the wad with submissions will be more attractive if you put the best map at the beginning, second place = MAP02, and so on as the ranking goes. 

With Tarnsman's contest the maps kind of got lost in obscurity because they were not only separate files, but also when I launched them I didn't know which ones were the winning ones. I would really like it to be clear and simply better quality-wise with such order. You launch a new game and are greeted with top tier content. 

I wish everyone luck and motivation. Honor Doomkid with Sunlust-level of greatness.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:35 AM, Doomkid said:

Please DO include a custom MIDI file with your map! 

Can this be a midi we compose ourselves?

I'm stuck trying to load the resource in Ultimate Doom Builder. Any news on that front?

I think renaming the first item to S_START corrected the thing.