Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Who's NOT looking forward to Doom 3?

...and what's your reason for not looking forward to this great game?

The potential of a screw up. I trust the guys working on Doom III but not enough to have no apprehensions. I'm also afraid of unjustifiably insane system requirements. All other worries are details.

I've read through some reviews about Unreal 2 and most of them were OK, but no more than that. Which is disappointing to me for such an anticipated fps. That is what I sometimes fear will happen to Doom III aswell. Not that it doesn't look promising, but it's just something that I'd hate to see happen. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to the day it comes out.

I'm not really interested in it. I usually don't pay attention to games produced by comapnies, anyway, and if I end up playing a game regularly it's mostly by happenstance... not waiting expectation.

I'm sure there's a lot of people interested in this new game who do not, and probably would not want to, play DOOM and DOOM II, as well.

dsm said:

...and what's your reason for not looking forward to this great game?

It may not be so great. We'll see when it gets here. Better have some suprising gameplay instead of all eye candy, but knowing id...

I don't know about 'not looking forward to it', but I would really be happier if it didn't come out until I could upgrade to a machine that could run it. Nothing would aggrivate me more than missing out.

Use3D said:

It may not be so great. We'll see when it gets here. Better have some suprising gameplay instead of all eye candy, but knowing id...

It's a matter of how you define gameplay. The only games in which id has disappointed me in the gameplay department are Quake and Quake 3 Arena.

I'm not looking forward to it right now. I'll start getting excited about it as it gets closer to the release date. There's really no point to get too excited for a game for which we don't even know when that date is.

Actually, my big fear at this point is that Doom3 will be TOO scary.

The original Doom was fun because, even though it was frighteningly real, it really wasn't be detailed enough to make you feel uncomfortable in a huge way.

But now the graphics are so realistic that I'm really almost put off by some of the stuff they're talking about. It's getting to the point where I don't want to play it because it would just be ridiculously gross or upsetting. I mean, if they have any realistic torture scenes or anything, I'll probably just leave off on Doom3, and wait for another company to do something more "comfortable" with the engine.

EsH said:

But now the graphics are so realistic that I'm really almost put off by some of the stuff they're talking about. It's getting to the point where I don't want to play it because it would just be ridiculously gross or upsetting. I mean, if they have any realistic torture scenes or anything, I'll probably just leave off on Doom3, and wait for another company to do something more "comfortable" with the engine.

I don't think they'll make it too gross, but who knows?

Right now, the only thing that bothers me is the way a few of the characters look (the black guards look like they're wearing black WW2 Nazi officer trousers and the doomguy is not wearing gloves like I feel he should - me no likey).

dsm said:

I don't think they'll make it too gross, but who knows?

Right now, the only thing that bothers me is the way a few of the characters look (the black guards look like they're wearing black WW2 Nazi officer trousers and the doomguy is not wearing gloves like I feel he should - me no likey).

I found the lack of gloves especially creepy, too ;). Seriously, perhaps you need them for some special situation, like to move some hazardous material, or something, after which you get to keep the gloves on.

I really don't see id scerwing up doom 3. I mean, to me, the worst id game was quake II, but I still played that solidly for six months, and still boot it up from time to time. still, there's a first time for everything.

I'm not looking forward to the post-release super-influx of newbies, if that's what you mean...

IMJack said:

I'm not looking forward to the post-release super-influx of newbies, if that's what you mean...

Nah, I'm talking about the actual game - recently, I've just seen too many negative comments about Doom 3 and how people think it won't be special, so I decided to make this thread to let these people "let off steam".

I prefer to have their complaints here rather than having them turn other threads into stupid arguments between the "believers" and the "non-believers" (no degrading of any folks intended here) about whether Doom 3 will be cool or not.

This thread might not prevent this, but heh, at least I try :-)

Personaly I have have very high expectations for games even though my all time favorites were doom 2 and duke3d. I think they will make doom3 good I just hope its not a game that gets boreing in 20 mins after you have seen all the pretty textures and such. I also hope they dont fuck up the guns, reason being why I dident like quake I mean wtf? a nailgun and the shotguns dident even make sense
on how they would function. Anyway im hopeing they port it over to Xbox because theres no chance in hell im bothering with upgradeing my computer for this likely resource hog.

The only thing I am not looking forward to is the girlfriend nagging
at me to get off that damn computer and spend some quality time. hehe heh

Doom 3 will be great. id are putting far too much into this for it to be bad. How can you have expectations about something you haven't experienced yet. Everybody is saying it will be absolutely the coolest game ever, I tend to agree, but we cannot make that judgement until it is released. The only thing we can go on is 1) ids track record which in my opinion has been great. I enjoyed the quake series very much. and 2) the responses of people who have seen the game in action, and we all know there hasn't been one case where somebody wasn't scared shitless and in awe at the graphical/physical/lighting evolution.

We are in February now. Soon, oh yes soon. Look how fast Jan went.

is it february now?.. *looks @ calender realising that january is ripped off*. OMG

I'm not not looking forward to the game, if you'll forgive the double-negative, but like I've said before I'm only going to get excited by it when a copy of it rests in my fair paw.

I'd like to leave it as a surprise anyway, be it good or bad.

I'm looking forward to Doom3 but i fear that people will say it's just a great game, but not a revolutionary one. I'd hate to see doom3 end up with a rating lower than 95% in any game mag.

I was going to start a thread just like this one.

I'm not looking forward to it because it won't have the feel of the old game, and I'm only really interested in old games anyway... I play games like Doom, Mario Brothers, Jetpack, Azure Dreams, or Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't care any about any of the new games coming out these days, whatever the genre.

BlueSonnet said:

I'm looking forward to Doom3 but i fear that people will say it's just a great game, but not a revolutionary one. I'd hate to see doom3 end up with a rating lower than 95% in any game mag.

Yeah, these are things I fear too - but I've made up my mind not to let it disappoint me too much if Doom 3 isn't revolutionary.

It's not that I'm not looking forward to Doom3, cause I am, but there are two things that prohibit me to looking forward to it even more:
Ready money and lots of it
A top of the line comp to run D3 on

DooMBoy said:

A top of the line comp to run D3 on

Doom 3 won't require a top of the line PC to run - only to run with maximum settings.
A PC which is on par with modern standard PCs at the time it gets released should be fully sufficient.

Demons Hand said:

Well im starting to becouse of all the people talking about it. Theres more to life then doom 3!

I only talk about Doom 3 on the forums - and here I DO talk about other things too y'know.

dsm said:

I only talk about Doom 3 on the forums - and here I DO talk about other things too y'know.

I have 6 friends in school. Every day for the past 3 month thats all they talk about. After about the 3 week of it it gets veary enoying.
All so I talk about doom 3 on the forums to.But not all the time. I dident direct my statement to any one on the fourms. Theres no need to defend your self dsm.

Just because most of the new games released are poor in gameplay does not necessarily mean doom3 will follow the trend. In fact, its too damn annoying when a person states this. Furthermore, ID have been extremely quiet these pasts couple of days on the development of the game; I think that in itself has a lot to do with why so many people are losing faith in the game. SIGH. The only reason you are not looking forward to doom3 is that the gaming industry itself is almost stagnant when it comes to innovation and particularly a big company like ID releasing doom3, many doubts surface. Some people tell me its a good thing that expectations are low, so that when the game gets released and turns out to be amazing; the joy of playing will be even more. But the reasons behind those low expectations or that lack of excitement is pretty dumb. Give the game a chance to release for God's sakes.