Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Codename_Delta

Unstable Reality: A -complevel 2 Doom 2 map. (V1.7 Hotfix) Alternate version containing a custom sky available!

There's only one left now.

I honestly think it adds to the map's feeling of instability.

DOOM0049.png.b995942b9bfb87201cbe5a9a31da7990.png

The switch now is offset correctly for some reason

DOOM0052.png.ec9062fdcb03a568c35a7e02930073a3.png

Boo! 

DOOM0060.png.d087f4f74751531465d317607ce7d6ce.png

Rate my doortracks

FIREBLU is the lowest, CEMENT is middle and ICKWALL is highest

Edited by Codename_Delta

11 hours ago, knifeworld said:

Oouch, yeah moving some verts and trying a different nodebuilder should get rid of them all.

I mean they are fixed, except one.

Okay, so some of the issues from the previous map of yours I played are present here namely: 

• Lack of height variation. Doom maps need height variation to some extent in order to make their layouts interesting to look at. The map is boring to look at
  • Lack of traps. Traps make combat interesting. Even a simple linedef trigger opening a room with a few monsters would do the trick if structured properly.

You also need to fix the slime trail. I'm not sure how, but I'd recommend fixing it. It stands out really badly.

The sladskull texture is also misaligned:

Spoiler

yB4nzgB.png

Just keep practicing and, as always take player feedback into account. It's the first step to improving. 

18 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

Okay, so some of the issues from the previous map of yours I played are present here namely: 

• Lack of height variation. Doom maps need height variation to some extent in order to make their layouts interesting to look at. The map is boring to look at
  • Lack of traps. Traps make combat interesting. Even a simple linedef trigger opening a room with a few monsters would do the trick if structured properly.

You also need to fix the slime trail. I'm not sure how, but I'd recommend fixing it. It stands out really badly.

The sladskull texture is also misaligned:

Hide contents

yB4nzgB.png

Just keep practicing and, as always take player feedback into account. It's the first step to improving. 

I'll have to fix those problems, but most importantly, was the level fun?

20 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

IMO it kinda adds to the theme of the level, and while I should fix it, it honestly looks as out of place as a lot of the map does in general.

I've added a trap @Silent Wolf in the 1.4 release, tell me if you like it.

Using the first switch to also lower a 255 floor height bit to release some demons, it's 255 so they can wake up when you shoot.

52 minutes ago, Codename_Delta said:

I'll have to fix those problems, but most importantly, was the level fun?

It played okay, a lot better than your first one which had maybe five enemies in it. I still think there's a lot of room for improvement. Also, please remember that you can make multiple quotes in one post.

39 minutes ago, Codename_Delta said:

I've added a trap @Silent Wolf in the 1.4 release, tell me if you like it.

Using the first switch to also lower a 255 floor height bit to release some demons, it's 255 so they can wake up when you shoot.

Yeah, it's a closet full of hitscanners. There's not really all that much to it. Traps are designed to catch the player off guard and force them to react in a certain way or move quickly or carefully. Study more wads and see how the authors design traps.

This bug occurs in the closet.

Spoiler

OgyrA9h.png

Fixed some stuff @Silent Wolf, like the missing textures in the little trap, added another that's activated by the other switch, and added another secret.

I also buffed the pistol's ROF slightly.

28 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

Yeah, it's a closet full of hitscanners. There's not really all that much to it. Traps are designed to catch the player off guard and force them to react in a certain way or move quickly or carefully. Study more wads and see how the authors design traps.

I have been playing doom for about two years or so.

I've been mapping for about a month.

That really explains a lot of my demon placement and also explains the New-to-mapping feel of my maps at this point. :P

I just sorta suck sometimes at playing doom, not as bad as I used to but I still have to beat Doom 2 on UV, 

I beat Doom 1's og 3 episodes on UV... on console.

5 minutes ago, Codename_Delta said:

Fixed some stuff @Silent Wolf, like the missing textures in the little trap, added another that's activated by the other switch, and added another secret.

I also buffed the pistol's ROF slightly.

I don't really see any reason to buff the pistol, since nothing in the map really requires a buffed weapon.

2 minutes ago, Codename_Delta said:

I have been playing doom for about two years or so.

I've been mapping for about a month.

That really explains a lot of my demon placement and also explains the New-to-mapping feel of my maps at this point. :P

I completely understand that. All that I'm doing is giving you some advice on how to improve. I'm pretty much in the same position as you, not knowing what I'm doing and struggling to grasp the basics of combat, layout, etc.. All that I can really do is take into account the invaluable feedback players give me. I'm not trying to be harsh here, I'm trying to be critical. As I said, Keep mapping and you'll gradually improve. It happened to me. 

On 5/14/2022 at 1:37 PM, Silent Wolf said:

I don't really see any reason to buff the pistol, since nothing in the map really requires a buffed weapon.

I completely understand that. All that I'm doing is giving you some advice on how to improve. I'm pretty much in the same position as you, not knowing what I'm doing and struggling to grasp the basics of combat, layout, etc.. All that I can really do is take into account the invaluable feedback players give me. I'm not trying to be harsh here, I'm trying to be critical. As I said, Keep mapping and you'll gradually improve. It happened to me. 

Ye, I was kinda try'na do something with that explanation... idk :P

But the pistol, I buffed it just because I want it to be better but not make it amazing, I just decided to for reasons. :P

I honestly have found playtesting more valuable than massive complex architecture and grandiose fights.

It doesn't have to be spectacular, it just needs to be good enough for it to not have really massive problems in design or bugs.

Edited by Codename_Delta

I'm gonna flesh this map out more for the 1.7 release, even if it takes me ages...

I'll post more info on updates when I get home and start working on it...

...If I don't start playing more Half-life 1 that is.

Okay 1.7 is basically almost done.

All it needs are some instabiilisation if you get what I mean. 

And for the ENDOOM to actually co-operate as I think I had a planned power cut.

It might've happened I don't know.