Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain POLAND

How come the monsters don't run out of ammo?

They constantly receive their ammo shipments and only drop what's left in their guns.

They still receive them after death when playing on Nightmare.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

How come the chainsaw doesn't run out of fuel? :P

Doomguy's primal energy powers it.

Demons respawns their ammo every time they stop attacking, because hell cyber-magic.

Zombies avoid reloading and running out of ammo because they are strong advocates against realism in videogames. If they run out of ammo, they would resort to melee wich would make them a joke, and also need to pick up ammo that's meant for the player. What's next? Picking up health as well? Being affected by damaging floors? Or Romero forbid... Picking up powerups, armor and more powerful weapons, then discard their old ones. A Chaingunner wearing the Megaarmor and a Zombieman doing the silent BFG trick are the stuff of nightmares.

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

It runs on make-believeium. 

Edited by Solmyr

now im imagining a scenario where a shotgun zombie runs out of ammo and grabs a box of shells before you do

8 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Because they aren't programmed to have ammo.

This is the kind of boring answer that only you would say

17 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

You'd figure all of the zombies, Spider Mastermind, Cyberdemon, and maybe Arachnotron would eventually run out of ammo like you do.

The simple answer is that Doom would be a very different game if the monsters had limited ammo like you do. Also if every enemy with a gun dropped a full combat loadout, that would complicate the map designer trying to starve the player for ammunition.

There are some mods, such as Immoral Conduct, where not only must the player reload his guns, so must the zombies, having a random number of rounds detracted from their magazines on spawn so that sometimes they must stop to reload sooner. If you pay attention you can catch them with their pants down, so to say.

They can reload an infinite amount of times though, so you can't wait for them to run all dry.

As to why you only seem to be able to recover a little bit of ammo from zombies (in vanilla Doom or such mods as previously mentioned), the contrived explanation is that they happen to just have the exact amount of ammo they end up expending in total, plus the little they drop on death.

I figure that the Arachnos just carry big ammunition reserves onboard their walker platforms, could probably fit the charge for a lot of plasma in there, and they shoot slow.

Spidermind and Cybie are a bit of a different question. The rocket launcher looks big enough to hold one rocket (there's no magazine or other feed device visible), and that 'super chaingun' looks like it'd hold only so much ammunition at once, so maybe they have micro teleport devices which feeds their weapons with ammunition from a remote connected stockpile.

8 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Perpetual motion chainsaw.

the longer the demons are on earth, the more powerful their ammo stocks become

because the icon of sin has infinite money so it buys ammo that is spawned by the jaws of defeat, which means infinite ammo, problem is its freedoom ammo

technical anwser for the techie bois : doom engine limitations.

4 hours ago, OpenRift said:

This is the kind of boring answer that only you would say

Doom is a video game.

You know most games don't do this, but I remember Squadron 42 (part of the infamous Star Citizen project) has promised enemies will have ammo.  They're supposed to have to run to "useables" in order to grab more ammo from a box, or something.  What is the viability of this?  It has been 10 years and we basically have nothing from Squadron 42 to show for it (remember Answer the Call 2016?), so that might tell you something.  Also I don't think the enemies in the Star Citizen MMO have had this implemented, but it would be hard to tell because the AI is basically braindead.

They store the rounds in their prison wallet. 

Ew

ngl, I think that doom enemies not running out of ammo is some SCP level crap, Fortunately for us, I just so happened to be in the site-[REDACTED] campus and I somehow managed to swipe the files regarding this type of thi- OH GOD THE MTF IS OUTSIDE OH GOD OH F-

[THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN PLACED UNDER FOUNDATION CONTROL UNDER ORDER OF THE O5 COUNCIL]

Gotcha!, I had you there didn't I? ;)

I planned to put a rickroll on here, but then I changed my mind.

Would be boring if they woul run out.

If you need a "logical" Interpretation within the Game.

It does materialize out of Hell.
If the Icon of Sin can spawn Demons, its Power is great enough to spawn Ammo for its Zombie Troops.

All the former humans are passed and corrupted and stuff by hell space magic, right? You can also see corpses in the game, so perhaps not all humans survived the space hell corruption. Perhaps you can say those who did struck a deal with the devil. 

They've gained a form of immortality, where they don't age and aren't affected by diseases, and can only die by breaking the moral shell in a violent manner. Just like elves. Technically immortal, until somebody bashes their skull with an axe for their high and mighty remarks that only a barbaric low-life race could be cutting down trees for furniture and weapons.. starting a war on me because I traded them a crapton of immensely valuable goods, one of which was a handmade tunic with a single oak button, uhhhh, what was I taking about?  Oh right, the former humans have infinite bullets because video games. No, okay, how about the space hell magic immortality thing was a deal with the devil not every human made, and those who didn't have just died. But this who did became hellspawn army, and who wouldn't want their loyal beyond-the-grave soldiers to have infinite ammo? If space hell magic can bring them back to life, would it be a stretch to say their magazines replenish by space hell magic? 

Edited by HrnekBezucha

Maybe its not the ammo, but the weapons? Maybe there is a demon making all these special types of weapons?

But that be stoopid

On 5/15/2022 at 12:23 PM, Solmyr said:

A Chaingunner wearing the Megaarmor and a Zombieman doing the silent BFG trick are the stuff of nightmares.

And if that chaingunner was using the player-used chaingun instead of the chaingunner's.

insert joke about old games with lots of crates and barrels

On dimanche 15 mai 2022 at 1:58 AM, OpenRift said:

When do enemy AI run out of ammo in ANY singleplayer game?

It's actually quite common.

On dimanche 15 mai 2022 at 8:25 AM, Pistoolkip said:

I've played some Fallout 3/NV mods where enemies have limited ammo. 

But I know that's a huge exception because it was created by fans who wanted more realism

I think it's like this in the base games. I have vague recollection of looting more ammo from an enemy I had sneak-killed by surprise than from others who took potshots at me. And also of seeing dudes who took potshots suddenly go charging with a melee weapon and they either had no ammo to loot on them, or a broken gun.

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

It's actually quite common.

I think it's like this in the base games. I have vague recollection of looting more ammo from an enemy I had sneak-killed by surprise than from others who took potshots at me. And also of seeing dudes who took potshots suddenly go charging with a melee weapon and they either had no ammo to loot on them, or a broken gun.

Broken gun

Dropped ammo was random, but AI didn't use ammo when shooting. But their gun breaking (especially by you shooting their gun) does cause them to stop shooting