Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost-Core

Custom Sky?

Question

Hello! so im thinking of making a map based on a spaceship, so i need a space sky, problem is all the tutorials are for advanced ports/xwe, i use slade and i want the map to be vanilla compatible.

11 answers to this question

Make a png image that is the same size as the default sky. Using Slade3, drag and drop it into your WAD. Make sure the image uses the same name as the original you want to replace.

Now all you need to do is convert the image from a PNG to a doom image format. You can find that option when you right click on the image, go to Graphic and select Convert To.

Once in the menu, Click on the drop menu that has a list of color palettes from various games. Scroll down until you find Doom. There are many doom palettes, the first is usually the best but you can experiment with others.

Hope this helps.

If memory serves, Doom for what ever reason flips the image ingame. If this is a problem just horizontally flip the image.

Edited by DASI-I : Clarified some info to help users that need it.

1 minute ago, Frost-Core said:

Its doom engine limitations (only 1 sky in a map.) so i can not do it in vanilla doom.

I mean you can make sky texture 1024 units wide and it won't repeat 4 times. TNT did it, for once.

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

Its doom engine limitations (only 1 sky in a map.) so i can not do it in vanilla doom.

Tell that to TNT: Evilution, The Plutonia Experiment, or The Unholy Trinity.

21 minutes ago, DASI-I said:

Make a png image that is the same size as the default sky. Using Slade3, drag and drop it into your WAD. Make sure the image uses the same name as the original you want to replace.

Now all you need to do is convert the image from a PNG to a doom image format. You can find that option when you right click on the image.

Once in the menu, Click on the drop menu that has a list of color palettes from various games. Scroll down until you find Doom. There are many doom paletts, the first is usually the best but you can experiment with others.

Hope this helps. Im not at my PC at the moment, so I dont remember exactly what the palette menu is called.

If memory serves, Doom for what ever reason flips the image ingame. If this is a problem just horizontally flip the image.

thank you! i changed the SKY1 texture to my own and it worked! also i put earth there and this happened :

Screenshot_Doom_20220515_122821.png.c681190c9a20dfe1ffde131fecff26c1.png

LOL, this might have confirmed that there are tons of earths right now.

Just now, Frost-Core said:

thank you! i changed the SKY1 texture to my own and it worked! also i put earth there and this happened :

Screenshot_Doom_20220515_122821.png.c681190c9a20dfe1ffde131fecff26c1.png

LOL, this might have confirmed that there are tons of earths right now.

You can make a longer sky that doesn't repeat but the process would be more complicated.

Just now, ViolentBeetle said:

You can make a longer sky that doesn't repeat but the process would be more complicated.

36 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I mean you can make sky texture 1024 units wide and it won't repeat 4 times. TNT did it, for once.

Off topic i had an issue with making the map, i wanted to add fellow marines and i know how to do a voodoo doll so i put them there, and instead of spawning me on the first player 1 start i put it spawned me where the voodoo doll is, how do i fix that?

Just now, Frost-Core said:

Off topic i had an issue with making the map, i wanted to add fellow marines and i know how to do a voodoo doll so i put them there, and instead of spawning me on the first player 1 start i put it spawned me where the voodoo doll is, how do i fix that?

It will spawn you on the last one numerically. Usually deleting your original spawn and placing it again is the easiest way. Or just drag spawns around.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

Tell that to TNT: Evilution, The Plutonia Experiment, or The Unholy Trinity.

nevermind Gez, i made the sky completely space, also about the map i was learning so i did not complete it when i was inactive, but yeah, now im back and will finish it! also one question :

Does DBX support adding textures with custom names? like something with the name of "TEXWELCM1"

On 5/15/2022 at 6:17 PM, Frost-Core said:

Does DBX support adding textures with custom names? like something with the name of "TEXWELCM1"

Slade can do that as well.