Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGigglefingers

What are some WADs you don't think get enough respect/recognition?

For me, it's the Spooktober Community Project, particularly the level Deep Sea. I want to see that, but as an entire WAD on it's own. No wait, that already exists and it's called Siren.

Old Still Life, easily the top pwad of all time in my book, yet only one aborted let's play afaik (unless SoBad makes a random comeback).

Speaking of Siren, it's a good atmospheric map set. It feels like Doom 3 combined with Total Chaos, with a bit of Deep Sea from the Spooktober Community Project thrown in there for good measure.

10 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Old Still Life, easily the top pwad of all time in my book, yet only one aborted let's play afaik (unless SoBad makes a random comeback).

Hope he will, kinda miss his chirpy vibe. Easily one of my favourites on them there youtubes

19 minutes ago, HrnekBezucha said:

Hope he will, kinda miss his chirpy vibe. Easily one of my favourites on them there youtubes

Not sure if it had to do with them randomly disappearing (probably not), but I have the feeling they had a problem keeping up with the influx of interest their admittedly slightly clickbaity decino video brought in. 

maybe Hellbound, Skulltiverse, Netherworld, False Paradise, Fear in Your Memories, the PUSS series....the list goes on.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Just finishing off Doomcore, it's kinda old and not the prettiest thing in the world but darn some of the maps are great. Tricky and makes you feel like a bad-ass with loads of enemies but not crazy slaughter hard. Especially loved maps15 and 19, ones a ugly but awesomely designed city block where you can enter every building, the other a sprawling mountain fortress that took me over a hour to beat.

It has a sequel Reverie, think I may move straight to that.

All Slaughterfest WADs. Especially map 28 of 2012 "Slaughterstein"

Edited by Dub Bag

The Wasteland series by Alberto Barsella - Dead Base/Mountain of Fire/Sands of Death. These are actually pretty good levels from the 94 era!

25 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

Hmmm, people tend to forget about zone 300.

Especially Zone 400.

I think Zone 300 gets more attention for sure.

The Joy of Mapping series is really cool, especially 4/5/6 when the project's scope ramped up with the resources and time allotment. It has tons of content and variety with a wide breadth of mappers.

NewGothic Movement 2 and Combat Shock 2.

13 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Void and Rainbow is incredible, it almost feels like a precursor to Lullaby.

+ Refracted Reality and Realms of Zoon, they all share that cool vibe and use of colors.

Edited by Hitboi

On 5/20/2022 at 6:24 AM, Piper Maru said:

The Wasteland series by Alberto Barsella - Dead Base/Mountain of Fire/Sands of Death. These are actually pretty good levels from the 94 era!

This. 

Mountain of fire was one of the best hell-themed levels I have ever played.

Also , Bury my Heart Knee Deep , a huge vanilla Doom 2 map featuring a metroidvania progression and more than 50 secrets.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

maybe Hellbound

Definitely Hellbound!

I also have a soft spot for Doom II: Reloaded, even though I am not a fan of its speedrunning-heavy secret levels.

The Freedoom megawad is pretty good too! It currently uses Double Impact as its fourth episode, which feels much more consistent in terms of difficulty than They Flesh Consumed. 

Edited by Rudolph

NeoDoom might not be the greatest and has a couple of annoying things. But it's one of those mods that I find surprisingly enjoyable, never really hear it spoken about.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:39 PM, Thelokk said:

Still waiting for that dude to come back lmao. It's awesome that he played through a lot of less popular WADs that are amazing.

Not a single wad that I know of has a 20000-word critique or analysis about it, which would definitely be possible for basically any megawad that has a lot to it, which is a bunch of them. Some wads have DWMCs that kind of get there collectively, or a high number of individual reviews or other forms of discourse. But no big overview. So the list of pwads that get enough recognition relative to what they offer is vanishingly small. Basically Alien Vendetta, Scythe 2, Wow.wad, and Nuts. Maybe origwad too thanks to the pioneering work of 4shockblast. 

All other forms of respect and recognition don't really matter to me because I don't need my preferences validated by someone else liking something I like. A zillion people saying Ancient Aliens is great doesn't give me anything interesting to read unless there's more to it than "I like this" and "go play it" and "wow cool screenshots." 

So: basically everything.