Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sammy J

Doom 2 E1M1 Hangar

Doom 2 E1M1 Hangar

"It seems hell has broken loose while you've been away..."

The Shareware Doom experience expanded to Doom 2.

• Free-look & Jump are disabled
  • Ultra Violence & Nightmare
  • Cooperative & Deathmatch

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=185547

https://www.doomworld.com/profile/34749-sambo-j/?tab=field_core_pfield_1

(Updated version 1.1 has the yellow key issue fixed for launchers other than GZDoom)

Edited by Sambo J : (edit: download link, GZDoom, v1.1 update)

On 5/20/2022 at 2:32 AM, LadyMistDragon said:

Um, so was the yellow key door broken on purpose?

I just double-checked this. The Yellow key behind the Spider Mastermind opens the door. Can't open it without the key. And if you use the secrets to bypass the yellow key door you can open it from the opposite side without the key so you don't get stuck.

How is the door broken for you? Are you using a different wrapper than GZDoom? I'm just surprised that it's been reported broken because I have tested many times & the video I made shows it works fine. Seems very unusual & I'd like to help fix it if I can.

(edit) My apologies, I should have specified the map is best run in GZDoom. I didn't test the others & probably should have. I used the oldest Doom 2 mapping format & assumed it would run on anything but Atari Jaguar. With the help of the people in this thread we've found out that it probably does, with 1 bug depending on how you're launching the map. Thanks for testing it for me, I hope you can forgive me for the terror of finding a red herring bug! The map is hard, but that particular issue was never intended.

If this map gets enough downloads (100 or more, already has >50) I'll rework the map to eliminate the problem from occurring & release a version 1.1 that should (fingers crossed) run flawless on any application or method of launching the game apart from Atari Jaguar... ...& maybe some other collectors ornaments :)

Edited by Sambo J : apology

This map isn't vanilla-compatible because the imported map from Doom is requesting data that isn't in Doom 2. I can probably fix this for the purpose of a single map but it could start to cause restrictions if people ask me to create the next map too. An elder guru may be able to fix that issue completely, but for now this map is best run in GZDoom. Free-look & jump are disabled & infinite monster height is optional.

Some deathmatch level testers would be handy!

If anyone finds any issues with it, or have feedback (good & bad always help) let me know!

This is 100% Beatable in PRBoom+ without even getting the Yellow Key at all... Including 100% kills possible. Took me a second to figure out. The Yellow Key is bugged for whatever reason, but it is still playable and beatable outside of GZDoom.

EDIT---- I tested this map in Crispy, Zandronum 3.1, Odamex, PrBoom+, GZDoom all with Success. In my opinion the Yellow Key just became a red herring, especially with where it is located; AKA easier to dance around Cyber for the red key instead of fraggle of annoyance around the SpiderMom for the Yellow key. So even in GZDoom where the Yellow Key actually works... It still is not worth pursuing that route first except to grab the Plasmarifle and then bravely retreat to dance around the Cyberdemon instead.

Edited by kalensar : needed to add info

2 hours ago, kalensar said:

This is 100% Beatable in PRBoom+ without even getting the Yellow Key at all... Including 100% kills possible. Took me a second to figure out. The Yellow Key is bugged for whatever reason, but it is still playable and beatable outside of GZDoom.

This is great news! I just play-tested in PRBoom+ and noticed that PRBoom is actively modifying the .wad file by removing sector tags and line definitions, which is pretty much a game breaking scenario... Literally a mapper worst nightmare! However PRBoom is somehow recognizing untagged sectors which never existed in Doom2, but not all of them.

The yellow door can still be used in PRBoom using the yellow key, but only after you open it from the other side. Visiting the Cyberdemon early was supposed to be a quick Nightmare route, unfortunately PRBoom players will just have to suffice with the unintended.

1 broke door ain't too bad considering what the map looks like in the editor after PRBoom modifies it. Fixing this would have been nice, but it's probably best to leave it as is.

2 hours ago, TheCyberDruid said:

This would fix that problem: https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/b2aa14b3f40ed67e49baa68c458bf207ddf0ffbb

Haven't played a modified E1M1 since the 90s ;) Thanks for the flashback I guess :D

Cheers elder guru :D the last modded e1m1 I played was shareware simpsons Doom in the 90's too. I'll keep the file for future multi-asset use, given the amount of modding to get an expanded e1m1 into Doom 2 it's best if I move on to other projects :)

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Suggestion for a more unique title: "Doom II: Hangar on Earth"! :P

Deserving a better title is a pretty decent compliment! Thanks :D

4 minutes ago, Koko Ricky said:

I thought we kind of discouraged modifying PWAD maps?

You've got to give him credit for doing it in 2022 though. It's kinda... meta.

2 minutes ago, Koko Ricky said:

This is the first I've heard about this. I have no idea about them being discouraged.

My idea behind the map was based on "Go2it" & how it expanded Map01 from Doom2. Although I wanted to mimic sector design right down to the floor heights & even the sector vertices to make it look as OG as possible.

13 hours ago, kalensar said:

In my opinion the Yellow Key just became a red herring, especially with where it is located; AKA easier to dance around Cyber for the red key instead of fraggle of annoyance around the SpiderMom for the Yellow key. So even in GZDoom where the Yellow Key actually works... It still is not worth pursuing that route first except to grab the Plasmarifle and then bravely retreat to dance around the Cyberdemon instead.

I removed a lot of impassible line definitions to expand movement around the map, those crates were a little "may as well open this route too" moment that turned into a saving grace. I kept it for deathmatch use & nightmare par time runners. Doom E1M1 world record is only 7 seconds so I tried to double it for Doom 2.

The blue door & yellow door are identically programmed, it has to be a red herring for every other door to work but not that one. The yellow key door still works in PRBoom after opening it from the opposite side & then grabbing the yellow key.

PrBoom is also modifying the .wad file and removing all secret sectors.

A lot of weird stuff is expected given the amount of different software for editing & running Doom, let alone the data importing & modifications required to even make this map exist. It runs flawlessly in GZDoom so I have to recommend it for this map.

Thanks for all your help! People usually get paid for that xD

13 hours ago, TheCyberDruid said:

Found something odd here. The imported map is still requesting data from shareware Doom, but it's only limited to some of the computer textures that are in shareware Doom & not the retail version. Weird because the imported map is the non-shareware version, I needed to use it because the very first secret in the game doesn't exist in the shareware wad.

I can modify it if I need to in the future, still very handy to have :) thanks again!

1 hour ago, Koko Ricky said:

As long as it's not E1M1 with Running From Evil + an extra Revenant and a Super-Shotgun, lol

Hey, I really want to try this wad.  However, when I download the wad file and load it up in gzdoom, it just takes me to map 1 of doom 2, not this map.  I'm not sure what I'm missing.

6 hours ago, TheBlueBalloon said:

Hey, I really want to try this wad.  However, when I download the wad file and load it up in gzdoom, it just takes me to map 1 of doom 2, not this map.  I'm not sure what I'm missing.

This map replaces the first map in Doom2. You should be able to drag & drop the .wad file onto the GZDoom executable application & when GZDoom launches select Doom II, run it & you should be good to go!

(edit) The GZDoom launcher has a resource setting to disable auto-load, make sure this box is checked.

Edited by Sambo J : disable autoload

3 hours ago, Sambo J said:

This map replaces the first map in Doom2. You should be able to drag & drop the .wad file onto the GZDoom executable application & when GZDoom launches select Doom II, run it & you should be good to go!

(edit) The GZDoom launcher has a resource setting to disable auto-load, make sure this box is checked.

Yeah, dragging it on top of the executable file worked.  I was trying to load the wad file via command prompt.  Thanks!

I mentioned that if this map got more than 100 downloads I'd fix the yellow key door for people using launchers other than GZDoom. Well, it got more than 100 so I've updated the map to v1.1 with an adjustment to force that silly yellow door to do as it's told ;P

Have fun! Big thanks to all the feedback & comments, it always helps!

I'm a bit surprised that this Doom 2 imported & expanded E1M1 map is getting a steady amount of downloads. I haven't seen any negative comments on the alterations & larger experience I added to the most classic 3D level of all time. I never claim credit for other peoples work, I just wanted to expand Shareware Doom with Doom 2 assets, keep it looking original, and give advanced gameplay to the classic experience. Maps are art, just like Sprites & code. I was expecting some brutal comments about my additions but I didn't get any at all, which is great, but won't help me improve! haha

If the map receives 1000 downloads, I'll continue the Shareware Doom experience expanded to Doom 2 with the next map. If that gets 1000 downloads, I'll keep repeating until a new megawad of Shareware levels are complete for Doom 2.

In the meantime, I have a new project to aspire to :) Happy hunting!

In hindsight, it is kind of odd that you have chosen what sounds like a sped-up version of "Intermission from DOOM" as the map's soundtrack. 

Why is that? Also, did you make it yourself or is it from another mapset?

9 hours ago, Rudolph said:

In hindsight, it is kind of odd that you have chosen what sounds like a sped-up version of "Intermission from DOOM" as the map's soundtrack. 

Why is that? Also, did you make it yourself or is it from another mapset?

It was just a midi that seemed to flow a little better than some of the others I was thinking of using. I was going to use the original E1M1 midi but I figured this map is different so I used a different midi.

I edited the original Doom inter.midi, just removed the harsh modified sine wave synth (the same notes are still in the near-pure sine bass line) & sped the tempo a bit. It sounds better than doing the same thing to the E1M1 midi in my opinion. If anyone wants to use it in their own projects they're more than welcome.