Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyometaxao

Quake - Scourge of Armagon

Hello all

I'm having difficulty getting SoA running and was hoping somebody can assist.

I've copied the Hipnotic folder to the Quakespasm root installation folder and typed "- game hipnotic" in the console but get "not found"

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards

K

No space between - and game. Like this:

quakespasm -game hipnotic

Maybe the folder must be copied somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Kyometaxao said:

I've copied the Hipnotic folder to the Quakespasm root installation folder and typed "- game hipnotic" in the console but get "not found"

In the console?

Like the Quake console?

Then it's just "game hipnotic". No dash/minus sign.

Otherwise, if you mean the system command line (DOS prompt/shell/terminal/whatchamacallit), then it's as ducon said above.

It's important to note that Quake Mission Packs don't actually need the -game parameter to make them run. Assuming you are playing QUAKE.EXE v1.08, WinQuake/GLQuake or any source port out there (I imagine every source port supports the mission packs), all you have to do is to add the -hipnotic or -rogue parameter to load the specified expansion. Make sure the command line parameter is lowercase, otherwise it won't work.

Examples to load the expansions (for QUAKE DOS version 1.08):

QUAKE.EXE -hipnotic
QUAKE.EXE -rogue

In your case, to run Scourge of Armagon, just add -hipnotic parameter to your QuakeSpasm shortcut. This will not only load the first mission pack but also enable the new status bar, like in these screenshots I took recently (from my last playthrough of Quake and mission packs that I did last year, in DOSBox 0.74-3):

QUAKE108_HIPNOTIC.png.2fe835cc1b64eba21581bd038871e470.png

QUAKE108_ROGUE.png.54e9b60fe31e28b923ed54b75a84949b.png

As you can see in my screenshots, if you loaded the expansion properly, you get a slightly different HUD/status bar display, example the rune box is gone to make space for two new powerup boxes, new icons for the new weapons/powerups/ammo types, etc.

From many YouTube videos I've watched over the years, a lot of people make the mistake of loading the expansions as mods, which results in the Quake status bar not being modified to support the new stuff. Maybe QuakeSpasm fixed this, so that the new status bar gets modified even if you load the expansions with -game parameter, I'm not sure about that as I haven't played the expansions in QuakeSpasm before, only in DOS QUAKE, WinQuake and the 2021 remaster, in latter case, I played with the default minimal HUD and I had the keys displayed differently in SOA and the new ammo icons displayed for DOE when selected Lava Nails/Multi-Rockets/Plasma, so that means the remaster is loading the expansions properly and you don't have to worry about missing details.

To recap, create a shortcut and load the expansions with the following parameters to your favorite source port:
-hipnotic (to load Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon)
-rogue (to load Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity)

Quakespasm shortcut example:

quakespasm.exe -hipnotic
quakespasm.exe -rogue

Hope this helps!

9 minutes ago, FistMarine said:

Maybe QuakeSpasm fixed this

It did, that's why you can load the expansions from the console and don't need to use the command line switch.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

It did, that's why you can load the expansions from the console and don't need to use the command line switch.

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know. :)

In case you prefer in-game menus, Ironwail is a relatively recent sourceport that added a mod/expansion menu. It lists all the mods and expansions by folder name, so you can choose which one to play and start it from within Ironwail without console commands or shortcuts.

I personally feel the way to go is to use the remastered version which doesn't cost much. I was willing to spend a few bucks for the convenience of loading the expansions with ease. 

On 5/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, Koko Ricky said:

I personally feel the way to go is to use the remastered version which doesn't cost much. I was willing to spend a few bucks for the convenience of loading the expansions with ease. 

I played and enjoyed recently the first mission pack in the remaster. It was cool.

But it is nice seeing people even playing still with the software renderer. I was considering as well, but did this the last time with DOOM through Chocolate Doom.

On 5/19/2022 at 4:55 AM, Kyometaxao said:

Hello all

I'm having difficulty getting SoA running and was hoping somebody can assist.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards

K

1) Open Quakespasm

2) Press the ` on your keyboard, located above the tab key.

3) In the new console window that appears, type

game hipnotic

and press enter.

4) Scourge of Armagon should now be running.  Close the console window by either pressing ` or the Escape key on your keyboard.

To get SoA's music running (from the Quakespasm music readme file):

QuakeSpasm supports ogg, mp3 and wav external music files to be played
instead of cd music. What you should do is simple:

1. Use your favorite cd-ripper application and rip your quake cdrom
   audio tracks, convert them to ogg or mp3 so they occupy less space,
   like track02.ogg, track03.ogg, etc.

Note #1: There is no such thing as track01:  the first tracks of
            original Quake and the mission pack cdroms are always data
            tracks.

Note #2: Since the Quake cdrom audio tracks are pre-emphasized, you
            should de-emphasize them during or after ripping to make
            them sound right. (thanks to Sander van Dijk for this note)

2. Go into your quake installation directory and create a new directory
   id1/music (for windows users id1\music).

3. If you have the Scourge of Armagon mission pack, then create another
   directory hipnotic/music .  If you have the Dissolution of Eternity
   then create another directory rogue/music .

4. Take the ripped music files from step1, place them under id1/music.
   If you have the mission packs, repeat step1 for the mission packs,
   too, and place the ripped music files under hipnotic/music for the
   first mission pack or under rogue/music for the second mission pack.

5. All are ready to go: When a level starts, the engine will first try
   playing the necessary cdaudio track and if it doesn't find the cdrom
   it will use the ripped music files instead.

--

How to create a windows shortcut to Scourge of Armagon:

https://www.howtogeek.com/436615/how-to-create-desktop-shortcuts-on-windows-10-the-easy-way/

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/shortcut-arguments-parameters-windows/

Use the parameter -hipnotic for your Quakespasm shortcut.

Edited by Master O

Thanks for all your responses. I turned out removing the “-“ from the Quake console and just typed “game hipnotic”. Worked fine. 

17 minutes ago, Kyometaxao said:

Thanks for all your responses. I turned out removing the “-“ from the Quake console and just typed “game hipnotic”. Worked fine. 

When it comes to source ports, readme files are your friends.  If you have issues in future, reading those will solve your problems.