Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost-Core

Recommend me a free midi maker

I wanted to make some spicy midis however i dont have any free program/libre one to make some, can someone recommend me some?

If you want to work with MIDIs directly, Sekaiju is your best bet, but it is pretty complicated.

If you want something that merely exports to MIDI, OpenMPT has the ability to export tracker modules to MIDI, which is best used with its built-in MIDI I/O plugin that allows instruments to output MIDI signals.

Many people like to use Guitar Pro (here's an outdated version that still works totally fine, the newer ones cost $) and another alternative is TuxGuitar.

To add to the pile, Cakewalk by Bandlab can be used for free and is a popular one. It can also be used as a DAW, so it's got some flexibility, but it also might be a bit feature-rich for what you're looking for just starting out.

41 minutes ago, bofu said:

To add to the pile, Cakewalk by Bandlab can be used for free and is a popular one. It can also be used as a DAW, so it's got some flexibility, but it also might be a bit feature-rich for what you're looking for just starting out.

Motion seconded for Cakewalk. Almost all my music has been written using Cakewalk, going back to 1993. The bit about "feature-rich" is true, I'll admit, but the easy ways around that are to a) ignore those features (i.e., turn them off), and b) RTFM. Fortunately, Cakewalk has a very fine online manual that will help you get up and running, and there is the "Creative Sauce" series of short subjects by Mike Enjo that cover the ins and outs of Cakewalk.

9 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Motion seconded for Cakewalk. Almost all my music has been written using Cakewalk, going back to 1993. The bit about "feature-rich" is true, I'll admit, but the easy ways around that are to a) ignore those features (i.e., turn them off), and b) RTFM. Fortunately, Cakewalk has a very fine online manual that will help you get up and running, and there is the "Creative Sauce" series of short subjects by Mike Enjo that cover the ins and outs of Cakewalk.

Until I moved onto Renoise, I use Cakewalk practically exclusively back into the Windows 3.1 days.  If you don't need something open source, I third this and HIGHLY recommend it.  Or Sonar, its successor, if you can find a pre-Sonar X1 version.

Spoiler

And holy shit, one of my music influences growing up used the same thing I did?  Badass!

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Many people like to use Guitar Pro (here's an outdated version that still works totally fine, the newer ones cost $)

I love how it says : "You haven't used GP Online in 2990 days, do you wanna launch it?"

and that was March 14th, 2014

While its not libre, i just said it so there maybe something floss and good.

Know what FLOSS MIDI editor I forgot to mention? Rosegarden. It can even do both notation input (which I used to use religiously) and piano rolls, like Cakewalk. I might actually start using this one myself when I do GM/GS/XG stuff...

Sorry for the bump, but Domino is my choice. A powerful midi editor with the best Piano Roll, is pretty easy to use although part of the text is corrupted because is actually a Japanese Only program and the translators can't translate that parts. Thankfully the manual has the important stuff translated so you can dig up in the options without much problems.